Enough to wake anyone up! Minivan driver hits the stairs at Udomsuk BTS

webfact

Enough to wake anyone up! Minivan driver hits the stairs at Udomsuk BTS

4pm.jpg

Picture: INN

A minivan driver told rescue staff that he fell asleep at the wheel. 

His van was wedged under the stairs at the Udomsuk BTS station on Sukhumvit Road, Bangkok.

The 48 year old driver was going inbound. 

4pm1.jpg

Picture: INN

He was taken to hospital conscious - and now very much awake. 

There appeared to be no one else in the van and it was not reported if this was a public service vehicle or not. 

The INN report just said that the driver was noted by rescue foundation workers to have no signs of alcohol on his breath or apparent drunkenness. 

Source: INN

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-11

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Insurance now doesn’t cover ‘falling asleep at the wheel’ ? 

Are you sure about that ‘old son’ ? 

You are correct, I thought I read that they smelt alcohol on his breath, my bad....insurance will pay if he wasn't under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

11 minutes ago, MaxLee said:

Duty to drive over 60 hours without sleep and getting paid by the trip - the more trips, the more money they get..... 

Failed this time though. Maybe he can compensate it by driving 120 hours when he's released from the hospital.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, petedk said:

I think many drivers have 2 or 3 jobs at the same time and this is the problem.

Or, he and his family are living on borrowed money to keep up with the latest iPhone, new bikes for the kids and so on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Amazing, "his brakes didn't fail", oh well being honest means your insurer won't cover you old son ????

What an AMAZING day in Thailand!!!!   The rarest of rare things here... an honest confession of cause to a traffic crash.  I'm shocked!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, petedk said:

I once took a van from Asoke along Petchaburi Road. When we stopped at the red lights at Soi Soonwijai the driver fell asleep.

After that he fell asleep at most red lights and was very far away in his gaze as he drove along the toll-way.

Why didn't I get out? It was my company's van taking me somewhere. I have complained many times, but get the usual "Oh why is the farang afraid? Thais say nothing". - No they are fast asleep.

Actually I think the guy was later sacked as I only met him 2 or 3 more times.

He said that he slept 3 hours a night. He worked full time for us and helped his family at a restaurant in the evenings. I think many drivers have 2 or 3 jobs at the same time and this is the problem. They should be paid a decent salary and then if they do another job in the evenings, fire them.

But it's OK for you to do a hard days work and then go out on this grog in company time? Perhaps front up in the office the next day a little worse for wear? 

1 hour ago, Damrongsak said:

Looks like the perfect place to park in the shade and take a nap. 

And a cr ap! Only his laundry person knew how scared he was.

Edited by lvr181
Spelling correction

19 hours ago, Vacuum said:
19 hours ago, MaxLee said:

Duty to drive over 60 hours without sleep and getting paid by the trip - the more trips, the more money they get..... 

Failed this time though. Maybe he can compensate it by driving 120 hours when he's released from the hospital.

I didn't read in the article it was a van for hire.

There appeared to be no one else in the van and it was not reported if this was a public service vehicle or not.