What happen with the food quality in the super market food court every year lower ?

Sandman77

5 year ago I found food in Tesco and big c real delicious for the price , but now I found the quality goes down often Menu like duck served less warm or even cold , my wife order 3 menu and send back the have not delicious can’t eat she says! Often to spicy with sick souce, also fruit quality of orange sour and dry or imported tasteless strawberries that it waste of money , are the any website that shows labour analysts of this food , drinks with added Color less fruit and a high expire date , would be real interesting what we realy eat a colleague talk once with a tourist in bangkok he was a food analyst, of cleanliness and ingredients and his check up in thailand not was realy positive , so it would be interesting what we realy eat , in fruit we have diffrent class of quality a b c degree or what ever , but also when willing to pay more it’s seems that is not always possible to find good fruit quality what I akways wondering is , even in the same bag of orange not each one have the same taste , some dry some sweet and some to sour even when it’s same brand , years ago Tesco have carrots from china the was good and sweet now the import from Australia proberbly the lowest quality avalible there complete tasteless

Tops and a a new gourmet market change I found in a shopping mall have better fruit quality then all others !

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thai like cheap cheap...they don't mind eating the cheapest (lowest) quality products...

Also they don't mind if their food is full of chemicals or very unhealthy. It only has to be cheap cheap.

Quality products from abroad are expensive because of the import tax. So they won't buy it and never know what quality is.

cheap cheap but for high price last years.

There is a reason  why food is cheap on the streets and in there food courts....though i tend to only eat in the same one when im in BKK and i found it consistent over many years.

Dont you worry Youlike, maybe the village and construction workers like cheap everything the Thai's i know are rather fussy about where they go to eat and drink...

I was just talking to my girl about this last night. I like to go to the fresh markets and buy all my own fruit, veges and fresh seafood.  I have been doing this for decades here.

I have seen a marked decline in the quality of produce and significant rise in prices.

I note that the price of durians has skyrocketed because basically all of them are being sent to China.  However, I expect that a lot of other Thai produce is going there now as well.  What we are left to buy at the local markets is just the scraps that are not worth sending to the locust swarms in the middle kingdom.

53 minutes ago, Khaeng Mak said:

I was just talking to my girl about this last night. I like to go to the fresh markets and buy all my own fruit, veges and fresh seafood.  I have been doing this for decades here.

I have seen a marked decline in the quality of produce and significant rise in prices.

I note that the price of durians has skyrocketed because basically all of them are being sent to China.  However, I expect that a lot of other Thai produce is going there now as well.  What we are left to buy at the local markets is just the scraps that are not worth sending to the locust swarms in the middle kingdom.

And have you seen the mangosteens? Only the small ones are here, the big ones are all exported.

Yesterday on the market, mango's 120-160 a kg.....mun kun si, not even a nice one..it costs 20 baht a kg in season.

Durians are also full of chemicals but yes they are here and for a very high price. That's because the big durianfarmer needs 10 million baht to find a man for his daughter.

We also stop eating/drinking citrus...full of chemicals...but that goes for ALL products on the markets...there's no brand which guarantee's you any quality or standard. 

Avocado's 80-100 baht and very often totally rotten inside. Those are imported but if they are cheaper they are old and black inside.

We cook our own food, i told my wife to buy the most expensive rice which was 270 baht for 5 kg and from this year. But it's not good for making kao pad, very soft....only good to eat steamed.

Have you also noticed the huge price difference in eggs....which eggs do you think they use in foodcourts/restaurants?

56 minutes ago, Youlike said:

And have you seen the mangosteens? Only the small ones are here, the big ones are all exported.

Yesterday on the market, mango's 120-160 a kg.....mun kun si, not even a nice one..it costs 20 baht a kg in season.

Durians are also full of chemicals but yes they are here and for a very high price. That's because the big durianfarmer needs 10 million baht to find a man for his daughter.

We also stop eating/drinking citrus...full of chemicals...but that goes for ALL products on the markets...there's no brand which guarantee's you any quality or standard. 

Avocado's 80-100 baht and very often totally rotten inside. Those are imported but if they are cheaper they are old and black inside.

We cook our own food, i told my wife to buy the most expensive rice which was 270 baht for 5 kg and from this year. But it's not good for making kao pad, very soft....only good to eat steamed.

Have you also noticed the huge price difference in eggs....which eggs do you think they use in foodcourts/restaurants?

You don't state where you live, but where I live middle of Thailand things are still great quality also very cheap. Yesterday in the market very big, 2 = 1kg ripe Mangos were 20bt a kg. Bananas I brought a large bunch 14 of the of the big ones (Not the small ones) for 15bt. How cheap do you want things to be. Veg was very much the same good quality also cheap and you can pick through all the bit's on offer. Only getting the best they have. Thais do it so I just copy.

Our local market has both wholesale and retail vendors the goods arrives from the farms around 9.30/10am to the wholesaler's and it's on sale in smaller amounts by 11am on the small retail stalls. Pretty good in my estimation.

Sorry cant comment about food in big stores, as we never eat in them. If and when we go out to dine daytime (two or three times a week) wife always wants to go into the small restaurants that open first thing and close once they have run out of fresh food. That way always sure that everything is cooked nice and fresh.

Eggs we always get from a local farm they are always top quality as well. Large Duck eggs are 35bt for 10 Chicken 30bt. Never had a dodgy one.

I have the same feeling as OP,

One obvious reason in Bangkok is the abolition of street-stalls in 2017.

Now people are forced to eat at BigC and Lotus foodcourts. They have a monopoly and can serve whatever they want. 

Some people even go to 7/11 and "eat" there (meaning introducing plastics, toxins and poisonous substances into your body).

1 hour ago, Youlike said:

You need to use 'old' rice for khao pad. Cook your rice as normal then leave in the fridge for a couple of days. Your missus should know that.

3 minutes ago, grollies said:

You need to use 'old' rice for khao pad. Cook your rice as normal then leave in the fridge for a couple of days. Your missus should know that.

She did keep it in the fridge but it is sticky...and she bought old rice today. 

Everything is expensive now so we just buy imported stuff....better have expensive and good/safe than expensive and unsafe. Dirty air is already bad enough

Would love to be a fly on the wall for a serious  conversation between the op and his missus. 

But only for a very brief minute. 

I have noticed watermelons have been shrinking in size yearly for the past 20 years. They are tiny now days. 

1 hour ago, fredob43 said:

You don't state where you live, but where I live middle of Thailand things are still great quality also very cheap. Yesterday in the market very big, 2 = 1kg ripe Mangos were 20bt a kg. Bananas I brought a large bunch 14 of the of the big ones (Not the small ones) for 15bt. How cheap do you want things to be. Veg was very much the same good quality also cheap and you can pick through all the bit's on offer. Only getting the best they have. Thais do it so I just copy.

Our local market has both wholesale and retail vendors the goods arrives from the farms around 9.30/10am to the wholesaler's and it's on sale in smaller amounts by 11am on the small retail stalls. Pretty good in my estimation.

Sorry cant comment about food in big stores, as we never eat in them. If and when we go out to dine daytime (two or three times a week) wife always wants to go into the small restaurants that open first thing and close once they have run out of fresh food. That way always sure that everything is cooked nice and fresh.

Eggs we always get from a local farm they are always top quality as well. Large Duck eggs are 35bt for 10 Chicken 30bt. Never had a dodgy one.

Ditto. Nice post. BTW youlike, if your rice is 'sticky' rinse it more before you cook it. 

No problem with food quality in Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai, either in the markets or at Tesco/Big C etc. I only eat at stalls where the food is served piping hot.

Most expensive vegetables and fruit are that, because they are out of season. Pineapples south of Lampang or north of Chiang Rai are ridiculously cheap at present.

4 hours ago, uhuh said:

I have the same feeling as OP,

Now people are forced to eat at BigC and Lotus foodcourts. They have a monopoly and can serve whatever they want. 

Some people even go to 7/11 and "eat" there (meaning introducing plastics, toxins and poisonous substances into your body).

Little tip never eat out of 7/11. unless it's biscuit's or the like. Most of their food isn't date stamped. My daughter the other week had one of their sandwiches (I have always told her not to eat their rubbish) But she never listens.

Out come from one of their Tasty crap sandwiches was 24 hours in local hospital with food poisoning. Thank Buddha she has learnt her lesson, she only goes were I tell her now never in 7/11.   

3 hours ago, grollies said:

Ditto. Nice post. BTW youlike, if your rice is 'sticky' rinse it more before you cook it. 

We get our rice from the local market, used to get in Makro but the wife said it wasn't very good. (What does a Thai wife know about rice anyway).

So now it's the market and only the fragrant Jasmine stuff from Surin. Not cheap at 45bt a kg. Gets a bit cheaper if you buy 5kg or more. Must say it cooks up well and the flavour is second to none.

4 hours ago, uhuh said:

OMG, you mean the Noodle Lady I bought noodles from tonight isnt really there? Dude dont mess with my head!!!!! If all the stalls are gone, what have I been eating? Why am I still fat? Why am I not dead from starvation then? Seriously dont trip me out bro.

5 hours ago, uhuh said:

I used to do some work for a Canadian company called MDS Nordion and Theratronics.  Irradiation process systems for medical and food products. 

Enjoy the tasty snack at 7-11 and many other processed (and non processed) food suppliers.   ...and if you thought Somchai driving too fast is worrying, try wrapping your head around this:

https://iiaglobal.com/news/food-irradiation/

http://foodirradiation.org/pages/fandv_countries/Thailand.html

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

OMG, you mean the Noodle Lady I bought noodles from tonight isnt really there? Dude dont mess with my head!!!!! If all the stalls are gone, what have I been eating? Why am I still fat? Why am I not dead from starvation then? Seriously dont trip me out bro.

So you haven't noticed that in 2017 street stalls in Bangkok have mostly been abolished.

Tens of thousands lost their livelihood, millions lost their regular place to eat. Lotus and BigC food courts are packed,  as is 7/11.

Say hello to your noodle lady, and stay fat. Starvation is very dangerous,  bro.

14 minutes ago, uhuh said:

So you haven't noticed that in 2017 street stalls in Bangkok have mostly been abolished.

Um no....but I dont go to Suk that often. Everyplace I go there is food aplenty.

27 minutes ago, uhuh said:

Tens of thousands lost their livelihood, millions lost their regular place to eat. Lotus and BigC food courts are packed,  as is 7/11.

Say hello to your noodle lady, and stay fat. Starvation is very dangerous,  bro.

They haven't disappeared. Not everyone lives in Nana and Ekkamai.

The only rice we buy in Bangkok now is Jasmine (hom).  5 kilo bag at Tesco is 119 b. They may not sell it to the farang and guide you to the more expensive Hom rice with English printing. 179-239 b.

All cheaper rice grades are hit and miss mostly dirty.  Yingluck destroyed the rice industry here in LOS.

Most of Thailand's best food is exported but that's the same as  most countries . Australia exports its best beef to Japan because they pay the most. Australia exports its lowest quality to Thailand due to import taxes, port corruption and low demand.

Its all a matter of taxes and economics.

We cop both ends of the stick in Thailand.

10 minutes ago, Lucius verus said:

The only rice we buy in Bangkok now is Jasmine (hom).  5 kilo bag at Tesco is 119 b. They may not sell it to the farang and guide you to the more expensive Hom rice with English printing. 179-239 b.

All cheaper rice grades are hit and miss mostly dirty.  Yingluck destroyed the rice industry here in LOS.

Most of Thailand's best food is exported but that's the same as  most countries . Australia exports its best beef to Japan because they pay the most. Australia exports its lowest quality to Thailand due to import taxes, port corruption and low demand.

Its all a matter of taxes and economics.

We cop both ends of the stick in Thailand.

And Australia grinds it's meatscraps into minced meat which is sold frozen by the kg in Makro? 

The expensive rice we had from this year was Nitrogen flushed according the labels....what is that? Never heard of it before.

14 hours ago, CanuckThai said:

I used to do some work for a Canadian company called MDS Nordion and Theratronics.  Irradiation process systems for medical and food products. 

Enjoy the tasty snack at 7-11 and many other processed (and non processed) food suppliers.   ...and if you thought Somchai driving too fast is worrying, try wrapping your head around this:

https://iiaglobal.com/news/food-irradiation/

http://foodirradiation.org/pages/fandv_countries/Thailand.html

If you worked for a company that produces systems for irradiating food products then you should know that it's totally harmless. The only means of detecting food that has been irradiated is from the fact that the bacteria has been killed. It doesn't leave any trace of radioactivity.

19 hours ago, Lacessit said:

No problem with food quality in Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai, either in the markets or at Tesco/Big C etc. I only eat at stalls where the food is served piping hot.

Most expensive vegetables and fruit are that, because they are out of season. Pineapples south of Lampang or north of Chiang Rai are ridiculously cheap at present.

Was in Chiang Rai over the weekend and noticed a massive volume of pineapples,more than usual this time of year being sold on the roadside. Thought to stop and buy but my wife's cousin said that exports were declined because of excessive amounts of chemicals...thus they end up in the local market.

Chatting with a Thai women from Lampang the other evening talking about how she won't touch Lays potato chips. Apparently there are large-scale potato farms in her area and it is common knowledge to the locals of the chemical overdose on the crops. I don't know if that chem-trail traces over into chip production or some how is filtered out during manufacturing process.

Seems like Everything is suspect these days. Grow your own is the best solution,if you can trust your soil content and water supply. <deleted>..it's a toxic world we live in.

Contrary to what a lot of people think, generally, food is quite unhealthy here. Suger, salt, pesticides , chemicals, and not observing hygiene. We all know this. One look at those sushi places in the malls with everyone serving themselves, coughing and sneezing and prodding them, that’s without naming all the ingredients they use , mayonnaise, one of the most dangerous foods if not kept properly. Meat/ fish left  out all day at the mercy of flies, sweet foods too, bread cakes etc. These people wouldn’t last a week under western standards. Restaurants , especially chain ones, are mostly awful, serving cold food, slapped on a plate. The famous roast  duck and steamboat place one of the’ worst offenders. I’ve found two places where the hygiene seems good, small indépendant places, clean, and normal prices. Personally, I’d rather pay more for quality meat and fruit. And yes, most of the better quality gets exported .

15 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Um no....but I dont go to Suk that often. Everyplace I go there is food aplenty.

I am not talking about Suk.

I am talking about Thonglor (ever heard what happened to Soi 38?), Onnut, Ramkhamhaeng.

Maybe i cannot find food cos you have eaten it all?

1 hour ago, geisha said:

Contrary to what a lot of people think, generally, food is quite unhealthy here. Suger, salt, pesticides , chemicals, and not observing hygiene. We all know this. One look at those sushi places in the malls with everyone serving themselves, coughing and sneezing and prodding them, that’s without naming all the ingredients they use , mayonnaise, one of the most dangerous foods if not kept properly. Meat/ fish left  out all day at the mercy of flies, sweet foods too, bread cakes etc. These people wouldn’t last a week under western standards. Restaurants , especially chain ones, are mostly awful, serving cold food, slapped on a plate. The famous roast  duck and steamboat place one of the’ worst offenders. I’ve found two places where the hygiene seems good, small indépendant places, clean, and normal prices. Personally, I’d rather pay more for quality meat and fruit. And yes, most of the better quality gets exported .

Very well observed. 

So why don't get more people sick from food poisoning here? 

1. Food radiation, see above

2. Formalin (gf: "i don't eat pamuek in Bangkok.  It tastes too much of formalin") and other chemicals

3. Antibiotics

Archived