Tourist Visa Entry or Risk Prison

Hey Everybody!

It seems that there are more rejection as the AirPort nowadays, and I am worried that I might be put in prison.

I currently am booked from Korea to Bangkok, but feel like a border entry might be best. Over the past 12 months I've stayed here for approx 10 months so, I might be rejected.

My options are:

1. Get a TV in Seoul and try re-entry

2. Book a sameday flight from BKK to KL and show them the ticket at immigration; get a TV in KL and then try to re-enter by land

My question is:

1) If I get a TV in Seoul and get rejected at the airport, what are my options? Can I book a someday flight to KL? This seems the riskiest 

2) If I book a same day flight from BKK to KL, would there be any issues with immigration assuming that I have to pass through them and I show them my air ticket?

3) Are there any other better options?

I feel that booking a sameday flight to KL is best as I assume that if I get my Seoul TV gets rejected that'll be much worse and riskier.

Can anyone please help?! 

Thanks!

Not clear what is your question, why not get a proper visa if have the resources.

Why prison are you wanted by Thai police?

You wrote

" If I book a same day flight from BKK to KL, would there be any issues with immigration assuming that I have to pass through them and I show them my air ticket?"

Surely if you wish to go KL there are direct flights  from inter alia Incheon,Pusan,, are you in North or South Korea?

From where you can enter Thailand overland.

Edited by RubbaJohnny
  • Haha 2

I would not try to fly-in and risk it with 10-mo "most of the time" recent stay, even with a TR Visa.  Odds are, you would get in with a TR visa, but up to you if you want to play the odds. 

If rejected, they would be unlikely to let you buy an onward flight at that point.  I would enter showing the onward-ticket immediately - handed to the IO with my passport.  This assumes you cannot pass directly to the outgoing flight w/o passing through immigration (which would be ideal).  Have a good description of your wonderful plans for KL ready. 

Depending on what is in your passport now in terms of Visas/stamps, not sure if KL will issue you a TR Visa or not, but could always try.  If no-go on the TR Visa in KL, could try Kota Bahru. 

Worst case, w/o a Visa, you could enter Visa-Exempt by land - but could need the requirements met to be assured no problem on entry - money (10K Baht worth of cash or travelers checks), a flight-out within 30-days, and a hotel-booking (can be free/online).   Two of these by-land per-year are fine, if entering at law-abiding land-borders and with the requirements met.

i would try to get the SETV in Seoul.  then, throw away the ICN-BKK ticket and book ICN-KUL.  take the train to thai border for land entry using the SETV.  i'm seeing 3,212thb for a one way ICN-KUL on airasiaX for next monday (it prices in thb since i'm in thailand but i assume a similar amount in korean currency for you).  leaves ICN at 9:35am, arrives 15:20 in KUL.  just forget about dealing with DMK or BKK.  with your history, it isn't worth it if the extra cost is the flight i've noted, the train ticket, and then the cheap domestic flight from hat yai.  if rejected you'll likely end up back in korea and have to start all over again.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Funny84 said:

My question is:

1) If I get a TV in Seoul and get rejected at the airport, what are my options? Can I book a someday flight to KL? This seems the riskiest 

Immigration will want to send you back to Seoul, but they can let you book a flight elsewhere. You won’t know until you’re denied.

2 hours ago, Funny84 said:

2) If I book a same day flight from BKK to KL, would there be any issues with immigration assuming that I have to pass through them and I show them my air ticket?

I would say that if you already have a ticket to KL and are denied entry there’s a high chance they’d let you use it. You’d be held in detention or handed over to the custody of the airline until flying out.

5 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

The chances of you being denied entry are extremely small, especially if you are flying to Suvarnabhumi and you avoid the female immigration officers.

Given that he says he has stayed in Thailand 10 out of the last 12 months (presumably on some combo of TVs and visa exempt entries, though he does nto pecify) I'm not sure I agree with you.

I would say excellent chance of being denied entry. Not of prison, just being denied entry (though in the course of that he'll spend a few hours or so in a detention room, maybe that's what he means?).

When denied entry they usually make you fly back to wherever you came from. I don't know if, alrerady holding an onward ticket for the same day to somewhere else, would they let you use it. It seems very odd to try to enter Thailand if holding a same day ticket to KL. Normally one would just transit without passing immigration.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

It seems very odd to try to enter Thailand if holding a same day ticket to KL. Normally one would just transit without passing immigration.

You could have a flight arriving at Suvarnabhumi, and a flight from Don Muang to KL.

34 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Given that he says he has stayed in Thailand 10 out of the last 12 months (presumably on some combo of TVs and visa exempt entries, though he does nto pecify) I'm not sure I agree with you.

I would say excellent chance of being denied entry. Not of prison, just being denied entry (though in the course of that he'll spend a few hours or so in a detention room, maybe that's what he means?).

When denied entry they usually make you fly back to wherever you came from. I don't know if, alrerady holding an onward ticket for the same day to somewhere else, would they let you use it. It seems very odd to try to enter Thailand if holding a same day ticket to KL. Normally one would just transit without passing immigration.

When you say excellent chance what do you mean exactly? 1 in 10, 1 in 100? For every story you hear on this forum about people being denied, there are many more who get through no problem. 

• Like 1

You could have a flight arriving at Suvarnabhumi, and a flight from Don Muang to KL.

It seems very odd to try to enter Thailand if holding a same day ticket to KL. Normally one would just transit without passing immigration.

It surely is not odd, an occasional times when flying home to Europe from either Indonesia or Phillies via Bangkok, I have rushed through immigration a taxi to downtown BKK for some beers gogo and a massage. Then straight back to the past midnight flight back home.

Skickat från min VTR-L29 via Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Essecola said:

It's getting insane, ppl with flight tickets to bkk worried about being locked up. #amazingtieland #tat

Denied... detained.... is the totty really worth it anymore? Vietnam is full of totty, Cambodia too.

• Confused 1

51 minutes ago, dcnx said:

Denied... detained.... is the totty really worth it anymore? Vietnam is full of totty, Cambodia too.

You have my attention. Vietnam, I was not aware of the place heaving with it when I was there, please explain.

It was a few years ago though, but I saw nothing Thailand or Cambo style.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

When you say excellent chance what do you mean exactly? 1 in 10, 1 in 100? For every story you hear on this forum about people being denied, there are many more who get through no problem. 

The odds can't be evaluated so easily, but it's certainly getting worse. Most people coming into the country are occasional vistors, so they'll sail through without incident, but the odds of being denied increase as someone's time in country on tourist visas accumulates - this information appears when the passport is scsnned. The situation (at airports) is a lot different than around three years ago, when a tourist visa in hand could be expected to pretty much guarantee entry. 

• Like 2

How times have changed. A few years ago I transited through Thailand in my way to the Philippines. Of course, I had to go through customs, pick up my bags and re-check them. At immigration when I told the officer I was just in transit heading to the Philippines the tried like hell to get me to change plans and stay in Thailand instead. He even called over a supervisor to double team me. I would have much more fun in Thailand and the ladies were both beautiful and very, very, friendly. The problem from what I have read is DMK, not BKK so I really don't think you will have any issues. Best of luck.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, elviajero said:

Only the visitors trying to live long months/years in the country as a tourist.

Tourists have nothing to worry about.

It's not true. I come first time in Thailand, with 60 days tourist visa, released by thai embassy. At io, in suvarnabumi, they changed my Visa in 30 days, without any reason. It looks like that everything is random, it depends which officer you find at immigration.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, fireundersh said:

It's not true. I come first time in Thailand, with 60 days tourist visa, released by thai embassy. At io, in suvarnabumi, they changed my Visa in 30 days, without any reason. It looks like that everything is random, it depends which officer you find at immigration.

Probably you filled in the arrival card incorrectly. 

23 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Probably you filled in the arrival card incorrectly. 

Absolutely not, I fill up the card correctly and showed also every documents requested, even money...they find the excuse that I haven't book hotels for the full stay...

10 minutes ago, fireundersh said:

Absolutely not, I fill up the card correctly and showed also every documents requested, even money...they find the excuse that I haven't book hotels for the full stay...

You should have booked there and then on the Agoda app and cancelled straight after.

12 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

The chances of you being denied entry are extremely small, especially if you are flying to Suvarnabhumi and you avoid the female immigration officers.

Flew into donmuang airport from Kuala Lumpur a few days ago. One guy ,young Caucasian in front of me in the queue, was carrying just a plastic tote bag and wearing slippers not sandals. I guess he must have been in Thailand long time because I rarely see people at airports with slippers. Anyway, he went up to the lady IO, the IO scrutinized his passport and then press on a red light switch on top of the booth. Some other IO came running and led the guy away probably to the office for more grilling. 

Seems they are seriously looking into the time spent by foreigners in Thailand. 

Edited by Ctkong
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

You should have booked there and then on the Agoda app and cancelled straight after.

I have booked for one week. When I travel, I decide to stay in one place or not depends on my feeling, otherwise I will travel with all organised travel agency, plus thay embassy, told me that I don't need to book hotels for full trip. The funny parts is that my return flight ticket is after 1 month and half, like I  showed to the io. I think law and regulations in this country are like <deleted> skin...hard or flexible depends on the moment, situation, etc. I travelled even crazy countries like Iran, north korea, may be you don't like their system, but at least everything is clear and fix

28 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

Flew into donmuang airport from Kuala Lumpur a few days ago. One guy ,young Caucasian in front of me in the queue, was carrying just a plastic tote bag and wearing slippers not sandals. I guess he must have been in Thailand long time because I rarely see people at airports with slippers. Anyway, he went up to the lady IO, the IO scrutinized his passport and then press on a red light switch on top of the booth. Some other IO came running and led the guy away probably to the office for more grilling. 

Seems they are seriously looking into the time spent by foreigners in Thailand. 

On the other hand I've been here 9 months per year for 3 years on tourist visas and they didn't even ask me any questions late last year on arrival at Suvarnabhumi.

The guy in front of you was probably trying to do a same day out-in at Don Muang, which will inevitably lead to refusal of entry.

Edited by edwardandtubs

6 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

On the other hand I've been here 9 months per year for 3 years on tourist visas and they didn't even ask me any questions late last year on arrival at Suvarnabhumi.

The guy in front of you was probably trying to do a same day in-out at Don Muang, which will inevitably lead to refusal of entry.

Oh, so you aren't a real tourist...you are ones created all of this messy situation and rise up this attitude against the long stay ???? ...good luck for your next re entry attempt ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ulic said:

How times have changed. A few years ago I transited through Thailand in my way to the Philippines. Of course, I had to go through customs, pick up my bags and re-check them. At immigration when I told the officer I was just in transit heading to the Philippines the tried like hell to get me to change plans and stay in Thailand instead. He even called over a supervisor to double team me. I would have much more fun in Thailand and the ladies were both beautiful and very, very, friendly. The problem from what I have read is DMK, not BKK so I really don't think you will have any issues. Best of luck.

That was back when immigration's policy was to try to help the country - not damage it to rack-up corruption profits, instead.

24 minutes ago, fireundersh said:

Oh, so you aren't a real tourist.

Do you have knowledge he is working illegally?  Having more time/money to be a tourist does not change the designation, which is based on his activities. 

How long someone spends in cumulative-time has nothing to do with Thailand's restrictions on Tourists. One simply needs to be self-funded / not working a Thai job, according to the law.  

But, any Tourists here for a length of time beyond an occasional week or so is at risk of law-violating, lying IOs at the airports, now.  Even older snowbirds are targeted - even those who do not spend over their illegal 180 days/yr.

The law is not of concern to the IOs running the Bankgok airports, but this does not mean those obeying the law are "doing something wrong."  If some IOs have a problem with the law, they should take it up with those who control what is legal - not abuse innocent people who follow the law as currently written.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JackThompson said:

That was back when immigration's policy was to try to help the country - not damage it to rack-up corruption profits, instead.

That was when police all had some touristy back-up business and hence supported tourism. I met one who took me to his guest house and wanted me on his white water rides. These days more of them are making more in a shifty way!

• Thanks 1

The situation is pretty clear, the westeners presence here is old fashion and not welcome. The country has already showed his preference on chinese tourists, for the simple reason that no one of them want live in Thailand...just come for short time, spend money and go...making less problems than westeners dreams to come in Thailand, pretending to live here in westener way at asian prices. Life is easy, it's problematic visit or stay longer in Thailand? Just skip to another country, world is big enough