Swift Above $20000 Us Dollar

I have just swifted from england more than the (normal) allowed equivalent $US20K. If you go above this value in one transaction you will spend a little time at the bank.

Got a phone call from the banks head office...go to your local bank and say why you have transferred this amount. Did that..lucky took my wife...head office faxed my branch..filled out the fax and local branch then faxed it back...later was given the rate...all in all took about two hours!! Rate not that bad..69.2675.

Next time I will send less that equivalent of $US20K..and it will go straight into my account. Guess some people already know this but I didn't. Also got my driving licence today..about 45mins in total..would have been a problem without my wife to translate though....

That is the result of the 30% withholding by the Bank of Thailand - and part of the reason that the Finance Minister quite yesterday. Without your bank being able to certify what the funds are to be used for they must withhold 30% and send to The Bank of Thailand for one year. Keep those transactions below the USD 20k level to avoid extra paperwork for everyone.

I would have thought that right now was not a good time to be sending large amounts of cash to Thailand.

The exchange rate sucks at the moment.

Yes..but I have just bought a new 520d so needs must............

I have just swifted from england more than the (normal) allowed equivalent $US20K. If you go above this value in one transaction you will spend a little time at the bank.

Got a phone call from the banks head office...go to your local bank and say why you have transferred this amount. Did that..lucky took my wife...head office faxed my branch..filled out the fax and local branch then faxed it back...later was given the rate...all in all took about two hours!! Rate not that bad..69.2675.

Next time I will send less that equivalent of $US20K..and it will go straight into my account. Guess some people already know this but I didn't. Also got my driving licence today..about 45mins in total..would have been a problem without my wife to translate though....

It's too bad that I didn't know beforehand that you were going to do that because as you may have read elsewhere in the forum I have just sold my condo and am looking to repatriate the sale proceeds. I was looking to deal with someone in just your position and to exchange offshore Sterling for onshore Baht and I can better the rate you stated in your post. Oh well, PM if you are going to do it again.

It's too bad that I didn't know beforehand that you were going to do that because as you may have read elsewhere in the forum I have just sold my condo and am looking to repatriate the sale proceeds. I was looking to deal with someone in just your position and to exchange offshore Sterling for onshore Baht and I can better the rate you stated in your post. Oh well, PM if you are going to do it again.

My wife tells me that if you do a land deal like that you have to be careful to ensure that you get all your money. Guess we could have done something..I'd have got a quarter of a million more if I'd done the exchange last year when I was here. There again 4 years ago I would have got a lot less. I see the FX rate is about 65.

chiang mai, yes I'm sorry my comment was a cheap shot, and I deserve your retort. I'm flattered by "lad" though! As a matter of interest, how exactly does your proposed exchange work with someone wanting to remit THB into Thailand?

chiang mai, yes I'm sorry my comment was a cheap shot, and I deserve your retort. I'm flattered by "lad" though! As a matter of interest, how exactly does your proposed exchange work with someone wanting to remit THB into Thailand?

I don't have a scheme and would certainly never engage in anything remotely illegal, here or anywhere else. I would also certainly never knowingly contravene BOT regulations. But it does seem to me that two friends, especially two fellow countrymen, ought to be able to help each other in different sets of circumstances, especially when such help is mutually beneficial. If any of my friends PM me I would certainly want to try and help.