"I didn't know what to do!" - woman driver fined 500 baht for blocking ambulance

webfact

21 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

she might be in that situation one day and gets to see what its like, (being in an ambulance) and selfish drivers like her, failing to give way to an emergency vehicle, thick as two short planks if you ask me, she knew alright, just being the usual abnoxious, thai driver, who thinks they own the road

I was in that situation less than two months ago, being in the ambulance as my wife was rushed to hospital. The closer we came to the hospital in the town centre, the less anyone would move out of the way, despite the siren.

• Like 2

It can be difficult to get out of the way in a real heavy traffic jam but one should always to try to make a path through for an emergency vehicle. Quite clearly in this case, she could have moved over without a problem. 

The best way to teach this is to ask them to imagine that they are laying down in that ambulance injured or a close family member was dying. Would they move over then? What would they think of someone who didn't? 

• Like 1

it may be a cultural thing but when an emergency viehicle come up behind you fast its just logical to let them get passed you. they seem to have had cars for a while, seems like they would know about fire truck and ambulances. very strange attitude and education. i went and visited my sister in new jersey in the usa- an ambulance was coming and it was like moses parting the red sea lol. all the cars on both sides of the street pulled over.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

Its certainly no excuse but I was in a similar situation few months back that made me think again about Thais ignoring ambulances.  In my situation I, and many others, pulled over when an ambulance with lights flashing and siren blaring loomed up in my rear vision mirror.  Five minutes down the road I caught up with the same ambulance parked outside a 7/11 with the crew sitting outside enjoying a cold drink and a smoke????

Crew plus one maybe? ????

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, toenail said:

“She didn’t know what to do”- common instinct tells one to pull over to a different lane. I wonder if this question is on the Thai driver exam???? (I doubt it)

no, its your education that tells you to pull over

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cereal said:

I kinda thought natural instinct would take over. Oh well......

Yes indeed Cereal , if I come through my gate on my bike or in the car our cats if in the way move over they don't walk ahead , instinct surely . This lady has gone blonde though ...........oh dear !

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

She didnt know what to do???? pathetic excuse, just get out of the way.

Another case of a very selfish driver not caring about others.

As a former emergency vehicle driver and instructor (fire brigade and police) I can recall countless times that motorists blocked my passage through.   

I can assure you that for the vast majority, they were not selfish drivers, but more so got themselves into a mad panic with all those flashing lights and blaring sirens suddenly approaching from behind.

I sympathize with this lady.

• Like 1