I don't miss U.K but I miss....

31 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

Somewhat off topic? I thought this thread was about UK stuff, not sure about the first two on your list. Are they even from this planet?

Don't knock it till you have tried it, just good simple tasty food.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

If you want a real meat pie you have to go to New Zealand, by law they have to have real meat in them. Australian pies are tasty but you don’t want to know what goes into them, saying that , a pie floater at Woolloomooloo late at night is hard to beat.

• Like 1

I live in California for decades. I went back to England and went in the pub and asked for a pint of Watneys Brown Ale. The young man behind the counter just looked blank, then an older guy came over and informed me that Watneys was long gone from this world. Very sad, Watneys brown ale carried me through the sixties and into the seventies. I can only assume they were bought out by a larger company. Most general British food is basically poor working class people's food, and consequently is an acquired taste. But I enjoyed things like crumpets, (which you can buy here in Korat) granary loaves, good Indian food, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, real cream, English version of the Danish pastry, fresh cream filled chocolate eclairs, shandy on a hot summer afternoon. Tea is the most overrated drink in the world.....to me it is like hot washing up water......I know many of you will be gnashing your teeth on your black pudding over that comment. I haven't drunk tea or coffee in probably fortyfive years. I miss most from California living is good Mexican food with guacamole and chips. They do have it in Phuket and Bangkok, and barely passable in Chiang Mai. Sadly nothing decent yet in Korat....but hope springs eternal. Bon Appetit!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PJPom said:

If you want a real meat pie you have to go to New Zealand, by law they have to have real meat in them. Australian pies are tasty but you don’t want to know what goes into them, saying that , a pie floater at Woolloomooloo late at night is hard to beat.

Just go to the butcher to buy some meat and make your own. Store bought pies are average.

2 minutes ago, JordanJones said:

Obviously you have never been to the beach towns.

Obviously - you have no idea of the places I have frequented Sir ????   :wink:

Some of the best prawns I have had were "naturally" bred river prawns in Malaysia, delicious - that was 40 years ago though, long ago - all gone ???? 

2 minutes ago, CGW said:

Obviously - you have no idea of the places I have frequented Sir ????   :wink:

Some of the best prawns I have had were "naturally" bred river prawns in Malaysia, delicious - that was 40 years ago though, long ago - all gone ???? 

Buddy, PKK has great seafood. 40 years ago is a long time.

1 minute ago, champers said:

The pie is actually a steak pudding, known locally as a babbie's ed, for it's resemblance to a baby's head. Delish.????

I think somewhere back in this thread I said I found British cuisine 'challenging'

Now I'm a total Anglophile I love a helluva lot of British culture, always have.

But, gravy with fried battered fish! 

That just takes it to a whole new level of awfulness lol

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Simple things like pulling out to the fast lane when overtaking and knowing that You won’t be confronted with stationary traffic queuing on a U-turn, kitchen surfaces not designed for midgets, and fruit cake, proper fruit cake that’d break your foot if you dropped it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Can't anyone on TVF cook?

If it's not available to buy, cook it yourself. It's not like it's a secret handed down in one family for centuries.

A couple of general themes going on here, and I love you guys, but....

mushy peas, gravy on fries (chips), let alone pies in burger buns!

I'm sorry thats all just beyond the pale

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Haha 1

Mad O'Rourke's Desperate Dan cow pie.

Back when there were about 6 Mad O'Rourke pubs I used to visit 'The Tumbling Sailor' in Kidderminster quite a lot.

Massive servings, if you finish off 1 complete meal you got a certificate and if you could squeeze in 2 complete meals they were free).

Great grub followed by their strong homebrew (Lumphammer Bitter) or a few glasses of homemade wine.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

desperate-dan-cow-pie-challenge-winner-295.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1