Hundreds of thousands march in London to demand new Brexit referendum

rooster59

Just now, Pilotman said:

Fine by me, a united Ireland is long overdue. Too many died trying to defend the indefensible.  

Post of the day, thanks. And why we can't have a no deal Brexit. We don't want to repeat history.

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I have, please do read my previous posts, here and elsewhere on TV.   Not that I'm trying to convert anyone to my view, or the view of 17.4 million other Brits, It is what it is, thank goodness.  Leave won the referendum and we will leave, that's enough satisfaction for me, for now. 

You didn’t answer my question. 

7 hours ago, Spidey said:

Absolutely the best option if you want to see the economy crash, large scale unemployment and many small businesses go to the wall.

Sounds horrible, that. Where did you get the information from? The Guardian?

1 hour ago, stephenterry said:

I expect the sheer numbers of peaceful protesters gathering in London would rattle many MPs, and bring about a torrid time in parliament next week. May could see a cabinet rebellion against her staying on as PM, and for parliament to take over Brexit.

Clearly it has been a bad week for her, I can not see it getting any better for her until she resigns, actually it is every day gets worse so wonder what today will hold for her?

38 minutes ago, Spidey said:

No. A bloke I was talking to in Witherspoons on Soi Buakhao.

Spoonies... Did you try putting your drinks on Nigel's tab?????

Edit: Maybe they have a few bottles of Nigel's favorite whisky hidden behind the bar.

hogwash_aldi.jpg.d90587bbdc44c39265b149c0edf24d17.jpg

Personally, I am far more concerned with the behaviour of the so-called "remainers". It would take measures beyond the extreme (to avoid breaking the law) to allow May's deal to be voted on again in the first place, and if it happens I am confident it will be rejected once again. Which means this process is moving to its ineluctable end - UK will leave the EU on No Deal terms April 12th - and the "remainers" will have to accept that democracy applies to them as well. 

To be precise, the 2016 referendum was based on a manifesto commitment from David Cameron in 2015, and it was affirmed by the 2017 general election when both major parties said that they would implement the result of the referendum. Even the “retainers” voted in that election. So we've had THREE national votes on leaving the EU. Those who want another referendum simply hold democracy in contempt.

My point is, when a similar showdown took place in the US, the left wing ‘apostles of democracy’ rioted, looted, vandalised and hospitalised for almost a week. Looking at the bunch of sore losers marching down the streets of London ‘demanding’ another vote makes me realise it could happen in this country as well. 

I live here, and I’m holding my breath…

2 minutes ago, Forethat said:

Personally, I am far more concerned with the behaviour of the so-called "remainers". It would take measures beyond the extreme (to avoid breaking the law) to allow May's deal to be voted on again in the first place, and if it happens I am confident it will be rejected once again. Which means this process is moving to its ineluctable end - UK will leave the EU on No Deal terms April 12th - and the "remainers" will have to accept that democracy applies to them as well. 

To be precise, the 2016 referendum was based on a manifesto commitment from David Cameron in 2015, and it was affirmed by the 2017 general election when both major parties said that they would implement the result of the referendum. Even the “retainers” voted in that election. So we've had THREE national votes on leaving the EU. Those who want another referendum simply hold democracy in contempt.

My point is, when a similar showdown took place in the US, the left wing ‘apostles of democracy’ rioted, looted, vandalised and hospitalised for almost a week. Looking at the bunch of sore losers marching down the streets of London ‘demanding’ another vote makes me realise it could happen in this country as well. 

Please explain why it is against the law?

9 hours ago, z42 said:

By all means have a referendum, however discount a remain option from the ballot paper as that was discounted in 2016 and the leave result hasn't yet been honoured.

The referendum should pertain to the terms of any future exit plan.

How Stalinist. You got a one off result so let's pretend it can never ever be changed or even voted on again because you happen to like the result!

Brexiters and democracy - an oxymoron!

7 minutes ago, Forethat said:

Bercrow was using parliamentary precedent, not the law, when he denied May's third vote; and he admitted parliament could vote down his denial.

May lost her majority and did massively worse than predicted in her 2017 unnecessary snap election because she only focused on Brexit and refused to take part in TV debates, again showing her contempt for the electorate. "No hoper" Corbyn did massively better than predicted because he fought on a wide platform of issues that the electorate considered important.

Cameron and others were lying when they promised people that the referendum result would be implemented. They knew full well it could only ever be advisory and that parliament, as the sovereign body must decide. That's why treacherous May tried to pretend she could do it through the executive alone.

This current government and opposition are complete lying toads whose interest in upholding the constitution and democracy is about zero. The real sadness is in seeing how low are politicians have sunk.

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

What is that based on ?

He may have different reasons but I suspect Sturgeon will immediately start agitating for a new Scottish referendum on Independence. (Tail wagging dog again); the Welsh, who voted to leave and now realize they got it all wrong will be crying and moaning, nothing new there; and Northern Ireland sadly, could again be a flash point as between loyalists and rebels. 

And all to save the Tory party and make some of their grandees even richer! Always a silver lining for some!

6 hours ago, Loiner said:

A lot of money was poured into the Remainers fun day out. Total waste of time, but at least they had a nice day for it.

It must have cost a fortune in banners and blue face paint. Who paid for it all and who is the 'Left Bloc'? Where does their cash come from?

Well several of my neighbours went on the march and they all made their own banners. I had other commitments so didn't go. As with other marches there would have been thousands of banners and flags supplied at the starting point.  Just like there always are.  First march I went to was the anti- Vietnam war rally.  Second was the anti Iraq war march and third was the anti Trump march. Lot's of banners and flags and whistles supplied at all of them.

As always the Brexiteers will say anything to try to discredit any action that highlights what the real feelings of the people are if they conflict with theirs.  They spend a lot of time in denial.

The revoke petition is now just approaching five million and still rising.  But all our Brexiteer friends will be in denial over that too.

36 minutes ago, Forethat said:

I look forward to your post when it dawns on you that “no deal” Brexit is dead and buried. We are looking at the softest of Brexits or none at all.

3 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Me too. But is that what Brexit was about, the break up of the Union?

Well, Boris didn't put that on his big red bus but it could well be what we end up with.

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

we in Britain have been redefining the relationship with our European neighbours, every few decades for over 1,000 years.  I see us leaving the EU as just one more of those redefining moments.  We have never been comfortable, or stable, as a member of a wider European alliance (or France when we owned most of it). I adhere to the saying that those that ignore the mistakes of history are fated to repeat them.  We are always better out of the 'club' than in it.   

Should be “we in England”. 

1 minute ago, AlexRich said:

Me too. But is that what Brexit was about, the break up of the Union?

No, but that is what it may well become. The Backstop has already caused such confusion and disruption to the process that it has all gone to worms . I don't see the independence of Scotland and/or a United Ireland as at all a threat to our shared history, or continuing close relationship, or our shared values, or to our close economic interdependence. 

2 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

No, but that is what it may well become. The Backstop has already caused such confusion and disruption to the process that it has all gone to worms . I don't see the independence of Scotland and/or a United Ireland as at all a threat to our shared history, or continuing close relationship, or our shared values, or to our close economic interdependence. 

Yet it is another unintended consequence that never made it on to the debate about Brexit. The Irish issue seldom got a mention ... along with the £39bn divorce payment. 

But more than that many of the promises about how this would play out have proved to be false ... we don’t have trade deals ready to sign, our reduced size (outside the EU) and our desperation to sign them will give us less leverage in future negotiations. So we’ll end up with deals that are poorer than the ones we have already. On top of that, they’ll take longer to implement. There’s no Brexit dividend.

I would have compromised on May’s deal but given some people’s desire to inflict a crash out on us all (that no one campaigned for) I’d rather have a second vote.

2 hours ago, damascase said:

Maybe you should spend what remains of your Sunday on trying to understand what the EU really is and how it functions. Might raise the quality of your contributions too.

You, instead, should join the march to overturn democracy.

You should march with them in support of big banks, big corporations and globalist scumbags who hate the general public.

11 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Well that's good to know. Good to know that an international agreement brokered at great cost that brought peace to Ireland (something I never thought to see in my lifetime) is a piffling detail so you can have your 'Brexit' - about which you seem to have a very little clue that we 'need to be out'.  Never saw that on the side of the bus. 

Lest we forget.

Image result for ira canary wharf bombImage result for ira canary wharf bomb

2 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Well that's good to know. Good to know that an international agreement brokered at great cost that brought peace to Ireland (something I never thought to see in my lifetime) is a piffling detail so you can have your 'Brexit' - about which you seem to have a very little clue that we 'need to be out'. 

Lest we forget.

Image result for ira canary wharf bombImage result for ira canary wharf bomb

a ridiculous post, not worth answering. Correcting a historical mistake that has cost so many lives is not a bad thing don't you think?  

Leavers are always reminding us that they won and the remainers lost. Question is, given that the only Brexit deal on offer is nothing like what they voted for, in fact it fails on just about every count, can you call that a win?

Anyway it's a mute point.  In the meantime it looks like May will not last the week, according to todays reports. Many of the  cabinet members are saying that they will vote for her deal if she stands down now!

Archived