The long way back. To Thailand?

swissie

On 3/29/2019 at 5:37 AM, Puchaiyank said:

I was "existing" quite comfortably in my home country...I am "living" quite comfortably in Thailand.  The difference between existing and living is worth the Thai visa hassles IMHO...

That's interesting. So, existing has nothing to do with money after all as some Thai Visa posters have been harping for years.

Someone living on 30k baht in Thailand may not be "existing" after all....

10 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I tend to agree wholeheartedly with alot of the sentiments within this post. Most women in the US are unable, or unwilling to manifest the dignity and beauty within femininity. They are far too obsessed with being feminists, to be feminine. That is ugly. And unappealing. There is nothing appealing, about being with a woman more masculine than myself. 

Also, society in general feels joyless. At least in the US. The middle class is getting decimated. And most are struggling. Despite the claims that the economy is booming, most struggle. Sure, the top 10% are doing great. But 80% are hurting, and working hard to survive, as the cost of living is rising fast, and inflation is rampant. Just the cost of housing alone is punishing. Health care? Food, entertainment? All are ridiculously overpriced. Most feel disenchanted, bitter, sour, unfriendly, and unfulfilled. Not a place I would want to live. I am here in the US right now, and I am thrilled that I get to return to Thailand next month! Even with all of the issues pertaining to the hapless army, and the dozen different ways they are moving the nation backwards, and running the country into the ground, it still beats living in the US by a huge margin.

Now, if only Thailand can figure out a way to get rid of the useless army, they might be able to really see some progress.

Interesting comment!

I think with the army in Thailand it's similar to Trump in the USA. What are the alternatives?

It seems most Americans don't vote for intelligent honest people who would work for the country and the majority of the population. Liars and criminals are accepted by lots of people. And in Thailand it's similar.

Populism works in both countries - and in many more around the word.

5 minutes ago, Pravda said:

That's interesting. So, existing has nothing to do with money after all as some Thai Visa posters have been harping for years.

Someone living on 30k baht in Thailand may not be "existing" after all....

There is a sense of wellbeing in a living environment that gives a greater degree of happiness that an existing environment does not offer...

Existing may offer a sense of security that does not exist in a living environment...access to paid healthcare, language, familiar foods and entertainment.

Living environment offers adventure and uncertainty...existing...one can live comfortably and many times alone until expiration date...

2 hours ago, davidst01 said:

so your not paying for 1st class insurance for accidents?

I was talking about the compulsory government insurance. Don't know what that does.

My car is probably worth about 100,000 baht. At that level, full cover is not worth it. I pay 2300 baht for third party cover, i.e. if I hit someone, even if it's a topline BMW, I am covered.

8 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

live in a village , sorrounded by woodland yet just 15 miles to central London.

Sounds nice... I did not know there could be woodland 15 miles out of london... and a 3 hour commute? 

Yes, everything is individual taste and for me, back home was a 30 hour plane ride... enough of those and you don't want to do it again. 

Enjoy. The beauty is in creating your own individual life according to your tastes... 

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Interesting comment!

I think with the army in Thailand it's similar to Trump in the USA. What are the alternatives?

It seems most Americans don't vote for intelligent honest people who would work for the country and the majority of the population. Liars and criminals are accepted by lots of people. And in Thailand it's similar.

Well, we were not given a choice of an honest candidate last time around. And will we ever have that option again? I believe the presidency is only appealing to those who are corrupted beyond hope. The days of a noble, or honest person running for the presidency are behind us. We are in a new era now, one which attracts the dregs, and the gangster types. Are there any honest politicians in Washington? I rather doubt that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/29/2019 at 7:02 AM, BritManToo said:

Plenty of living to be had in Philippines/Vietnam/Cambodia and in some ways the living there is as exciting (if not more) than the living in Thailand.

Why are you here? If You have a young family, 1st world is the best choice

• Like 2

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

Well, we were not given a choice of an honest candidate last time around. And will we ever have that option again? I believe the presidency is only appealing to those who are corrupted beyond hope. The days of a noble, or honest person running for the presidency are behind us. We are in a new era now, one which attracts the dregs, and the gangster types. Are there any honest politicians in Washington? I rather doubt that.

Jimmy Carter demonstrated a decent person as President didn't work too well. Lyndon Johnson was probably the ablest reforming President of the last century, and he had a fair amount of mongrel. Search me, I don't know what the answer is.

19 hours ago, Mansell said:

Interesting topic. I basically left S. California because everything worked perfectly and was clean and was boring. There seemed to be no deviations from the norm, people going about their lives without any spice to it all. When I first came here I remarked online I liked the semi chaos. A friend said that will last about four weeks. I still enjoy it years later. I have a car, but I will take the Songthaew for a bit of variety and some interaction with my locals. Here in Korat there is a very stimulating huge outdoor night only market for the local Thais called SaveOne. Lots of fun foods, and lots of things for sale to browse over, and great for people watching. Never boring.

I completely agree. Things are predictable and incredibly boring in the US. And the people are basically sour, unfulfilled, without humor, and heavy hearted. And the women? Where would one start. Southern California was great back in the 1960's. It started to decline in the 1970's. Still had some magic in the 1980's. By the early 1990's, it was finished. Everyone I know from California, with the means to do so, has left.

The quality of life in Thailand, despite the army, is far higher.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

I completely agree. Things are predictable and incredibly boring in the US. And the people are basically sour, unfulfilled, without humor, and heavy hearted. And the women?

Same everywhere in the white western world these days.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Interesting comment!

Was Trump a General in the Army who staged a coup????

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

There is one thing the US has that I miss and that's a gym with sauna, steam and jacuzzi, oh and Walmart ahaha

Ya, know what you mean.  I've only found 12 of those in Thailand (House of Male in CM).  Lotus and Home pro better than Walmart and are usually attached to beer bars with available women. 

Edited by marcusarelus

18 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Ya, know what you mean.  I've only found 12 of those in Thailand (House of Male in CM).  Lotus and Home pro better than Walmart and are usually attached to beer bars with available women. 

Lotus and Home Pro have beer bars attached, with available women? In CM? Where?

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Lotus and Home Pro have beer bars attached, with available women? In CM? Where?

In the same shopping areas.  I don't think I'm supposed to post locations.  I never liked shopping in the States but since I've lived in Thailand I love it and it takes all day.  ????

14 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

In the same shopping areas.  I don't think I'm supposed to post locations.  I never liked shopping in the States but since I've lived in Thailand I love it and it takes all day.  ????

yeah, as you get older sometimes it can take all day...... by that time the BG is usually long gone

• Haha 1

On 3/30/2019 at 3:37 AM, kenk24 said:

Sounds nice... I did not know there could be woodland 15 miles out of london... and a 3 hour commute? 

Yes, everything is individual taste and for me, back home was a 30 hour plane ride... enough of those and you don't want to do it again. 

Enjoy. The beauty is in creating your own individual life according to your tastes... 

Google Chislehurst ; All the woodland is protected and the commons are managed by a local trust. 20 minutes by train to London Bridge so as easy a commute as one could ask for.

On 3/29/2019 at 5:57 PM, marcusarelus said:

In my experience with over a hundred Thai women (been here and worked here a long time) I'd say you had about one out of a hundred.  She was already out of Thailand (Singapore) when you met her.  My wife and all the professional women she hangs with would never leave Thailand other than a vacation.  PI leave.  Vietnam leave.  Thailand man comes and women stay.  In general plan on staying in Thailand if you have a Thai wife.  If you don't want to stay in Thailand look in CA or another country to meet a Thai women.  I've met a few guys in the airforce in the 60's who have made the transition back to the States with a Thai bride but it's a small percentage of the million men who were stationed here. 

That may well be true.

But the fact that 25% of the Thai diaspora live in the US, quarter of a million, and increasing numbers are working overseas in Europe & Korea, might suggest things are changing.

The internet is starting, albeit slowly to open Thai's eyes to the outside world, to the consternation of the elite who for so long wanted to maintain a compliant subservient class.

My wifes cousin went to work in Canada, for a year. Ended up marrying a Canadian and is virulent that she will never return.

As a farang I don't think we can ever quite get the internal oppression that many of them feel, either based on ethnicity or class.

When they go overseas, they are released from that, and for many it's a breath of fresh air.

The fact that so many expat Thai's are so very vocal on social media exposing various scandals, exploits of the institutions that cannot be mentioned, frees them to be who they are, not what Thai society determines them to be

• Like 1

On 3/29/2019 at 4:48 PM, Enoon said:

Great.

Soon you'll be back complaining, as you have done before, that the women in Thailand are fatter and not as beautiful as they used to be.

Bit sad to get to your age, have all your money, and still not know where, or how, to be happy.

'Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free
'Tis the gift to come down where we ought to be,
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
'Twill be in the valley of love and delight.

Indeed, I made a comment concerning the "weight-gain" of Thai Ladies over the last few years. I consider this observation as correct as is my observation concerning caucasion Femeles over 40 in my OP.

- But one thing I give the Thai-Ladies: Regardless of weight, they (still) dress nicely. They try to please. Being "woman" and displaying "feminity" is the goal.
Very much opposed to their Western counterparts: They go thru great pains to dress as unattractive as they possibly can. Wearing a rag-like fashion, putting any Scare-Crow to shame. Only dressing as veritable Females on Saturday night at the Disco/Night Club, when it comes to extract 10$ drinks from "admiring" Males. Come Monday, it's back to "Rag-Time".
As the Queen says: "We are not amused". I certainly am not.

What can be done about it? Nothing really. Some day, standing at the Pearly-Gates exclaiming "this Man/Woman thing was not as promessed, I want my money back" perhaps?:smile:

PS: My consideration of returning to Thailand full time depends mainly on near-term developements in my Home Country as well as near-term developements in Thailand. The "woman-factor" is merely a part of the equation. No more, no less.

On 3/29/2019 at 1:49 AM, HampiK said:

I can understand you. And if you have the chance to keep your swiss insurance valid and find a travel Insurance which not have a problem when you stay out of your homecountry too long then I think is fine. only check this very good. As normally the swiss insurance only cover you in swiss or Europe. outside you need an additional travel insurance, and there are mostly limitations how long a trip can be.

WIsh you good luck and maybe a nice and warm stay in Thailand

Partially correct. = As long as your official Domicile is Switzerland (and you pay your premiums), you are covered wordwide for an unlimited time. (Not USA).

- Additional Travel Insurance issued by your mandatory health insurance is relatively expensive. Includes the repatriation to home country. But only if the "health-problem" can not be taken care of in the country where the "illness" occured.

Therefore: Worldwide Repatriations to Switzerland covered by Travel-Insurance in 2017: 5 (five).

PS: This is a Thailand Forum. For further questions PM me.