"Look before you leap!" - Thai media offers tips to drivers

webfact

driving along today, approaching a junction.  Car on the road to my left about to pull onto my road.  As you do if you want to survive here, I watched the drivers head and he never once turned to look my way, that is the way that the traffic was approaching the junction. I slowed  as he just pulled out straight in front of me, but then I carried on right up to his drivers side door and hit the horn, I could see that he nearly jumped out of his skin.  He just sat there with a stupid smile on his idiot face? If I had been on a motorbike, he would have hit me square on.  Not at all an isolated incident.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

Of course assuming they can see through the prolifera of superstitious rubbish they dangle from their rear view mirror  or stick on their dashboards.

This could be alleviated by applying the lessen the weight advice. 

10 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

First check is there a bigger pedal we call it a brake but most cars here don't seam to have this feature or the ability to operate one if it has???? 

I am sure some drivers here have experimented with that larger pedal and found that it impeded their progress. Highly undesirable effect, annoying, and potentially dangerous. 

Isn't it just a simple version of the parking brake? No need for that either. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

First check is there a bigger pedal we call it a brake but most cars here don't seam to have this feature or the ability to operate one if it has???? 

All cars have brakes, in Thailand they come with brake failure built in. 

My pet hate is what I like to call Somchai cruise control.  You know the repetitive accelerate,  release,  accelerate, release method used to maintain speed by drivers on long distance trip.  Their reasoning,  it saves fuel,  because not always pressing the accelerator. ????

20 hours ago, webfact said:
Don't press too hard on the accelerator.

Drive according to the prevailing conditions. 

Check you tire pressure.

Close the windows and the sun roof.

Lessen the weight carried in the car. 

Change the engine oil regularly according to manufacturers' specifications.

All of the above are totally alien to Thai drivers !

Apart from one, and I'm sure with air-con on full blast we can guess which that one is !

22 hours ago, shady86 said:

You can see most drivers here still accelerate towards a red light knowing they still need to stop a minute or two after that. Me first metality at its best.

Me first. Trait to make any American proud.

Thai excuses:
"I no see red light."
"I no see car come."

"i no see person in road."
"My car no turn when I turn wheel, so car maker make bad car."
"I pass car on (hill, blind curve, etc) and oncoming car no pull off road and let me pass."
"Car park in my lane so I must drive in oncoming lane and stupid person in that lane no get out of my way."
"Sure.  I pull out of side street onto road.  I ahead of car on main road going 100 kpm.  He should have stopped."
"My (truck, pickup, bus) is bigger that other cars.  They must get out of the way."
"My (BMW, Ferrari, Mercedes, Cooper, Lotus, Porche) is Hi-So car and all Lo-So need to get out of my way."
"I thought the lines on the road were government artwork.  They mean something?"
My favorite: "My brake fail."

Interesting that most so-called Thai Buddhists will lie, and lie, and lie to save face.
Virtually all know the 4th Buddhist precept by heart:
"Musāvādā veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṃ samādiyāmi" in Pali and translated as "I will refrain from wrong speech and lying."  Buddha should have amended that for Thais - "...unless it means I may lose face. or get charged with a crime."

• Like 1