Embarrassing moments with the wife when traveling to Europe

davidst01

23 hours ago, davidst01 said:

Going thru transit security it was highlight that my wife had 2 sharp metal objects in 2 different bags. (sizzors and a stanley knife) At first someone came over and did a swab and said that her bag tested positive for explosives. Then 4 tall, young and serious policeman come over holding machine guns. I presented documents to show that my wife was attending a medical university course etc.

next time travel with a bar girl rather than a doctor and you wont have so much stress.

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Fuk is pumpkin in Thai.

guava is Farang in Thai......you missed the joke on that one bm2

we do have a couple of Fuk Tong  growing on vines outside our house.  and even a farang or two.

Edited by rumak

3 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

She is actually married to a guy only about 5 years older than her,while i am married to a woman quite a bit younger than me and have been for over 20 years ,yet my wife was certainly not a hooker,i met her through my business and her family are quite well off ,so you never can tell,also you see quite a few younger Thai women married to older Thai men , Although i am sure love comes into it with Thais its also a security thing.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

She's different, she married you for your 'big un'...  :wink:

• Haha 1

I think they're hookers too. What I think is 'up to me'.
Banging a guy for financial gain, 'security' and 'prostitution', only the contract length differs.
Shame thats the way you feel,but i suppose if those are the only sort of women here you have ever met or married it must make you bitter, here i have tended to move in business circles and have met a much better class of Thai i guess.each to his own.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

Shame thats the way you feel,but i suppose if those are the only sort of women here you have ever met or married it must make you bitter, here i have tended to move in business circles and have met a much better class of Thai i guess.each to his own.

I've met plenty of nice Thai ladies my age (63), but I never felt like banging any of them.

The 20 year olds all want money.

One more story.

We were coming back from an Alaska cruise, when we were checking in for our flight back home in Vancouver, we got to security and my wife got pulled over at security.

X ray had detected something.

She goes into full Thai apology mode, she'd left knitting needles in her hand baggage.

But, au Contraire mon ami.....12 inch knitting needles apparently are fine, a bottle of perfume however, that's terrorism!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Khaeng Mak said:
2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Fuk is pumpkin in Thai.

No its not.

<removed> gets used in multiple instances.

Long bean is just one of many examples.

So it can be used for Pumpkin as well, right... 

So your "No its not" should have been "Yes, and also it can be used as....."

In this case it could be used as 'pumpkin-ing pointless response !!!"

• Like 2

On 3/30/2019 at 6:52 PM, sanemax said:

Isnt it up to him to explain to her though ?

Explain that you can buy rice cookers in Europe and that theres no need to take one with you 

It’s like security from possibly starving. Mine brought

rice and I’m like they have in the market in US. But

who knows I’m not a rice person maybe they wouldn’t 

have the they wanted and everything is in English.

Nothing to make a big deal of.....

I’ve dimled drinks before. If your hands are full tell them

you be back in a minute to clean it up. They’ll probably 

say no problem.

A good experience and hope they enjoy the trip. 

On 3/30/2019 at 11:59 AM, richard_smith237 said:

We travel back to the UK twice per year... We have a rice cooker at my parents house.

I can understand why.... I can't imagine living in Thailand and not eating some Western food for 2, 3 or 4 weeks. My Wife brings a 'bag of food' which is mostly noodles and sauces etc... 

At first I thought this was odd, but, its what my Wife wants and its much cheaper in Thailand than buying it in England.

Now my Wife has her own 'food cupboard' at my parents place in the UK !!! 

There are a couple of minor social mores missed by my Wife when traveling internationally - I see it as a little social clumsiness or just a lack of observational skills...

Examples such as when using the Shinkansen in Japan my Wife left her rubbish in a bag (attached to the coat hook), I had to pick the bag up and put it in the bin (copying what the Japanese passengers did) - never any major issues. 

My Wife once did me quite proud when our UK flight was heavily delayed (Etihad) and we transferred onto a Thai Airways flight Via Frankfurt.

As we queueing to board, German Immigration were quite assertive, with strong accents I had a little difficulty understanding. A poor Thai woman in front of us couldn't understand their questions and was told to stand aside. Next was my Wife, they saw her passport and asked her to also stand aside. She said, "No, why should I" ? !!!... so they questioned her in the line... "Where did you get your Visa?".... "From the British Embassy Via the VFS of course"... "OK, how long will you be in the UK?"... "26 Days"... "where are you staying?"... "With my Husbands Parents"... "Where are you staying?"... "Oh, you want an address, wait a moment !...  Here.... (and read out my parents address)"....  "How will you get there?".... "Limousine, of course !" (in quite an indignant tone).... "Oh, erm.. OK... Have a nice flight Madam".... I chuckled at their back-pedal as their tone immediately changed with the words 'Limousine'.... (which was actually just a normal car provided by Etihad)... 

My Wife handled her own with a rather loud, assertive and almost verbally aggressive German Immigration office who placed pressure on her when questioning - we had a giggle about it afterwards, I was quite proud of the way she handled it. 

I thought for a moment that your wife went to the aid of the Thai lady who

was dragged out of the queue, that would have been far more commendable

than answering a few basic questions.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, masuk said:

Reminds me of the time I was teaching a class of senior high school students, and one asked why they had to learn English.

I asked him which language would he use when he stepped over the border.   He and a few others looked horrified when I explained that no-one the other side would understand a word he said, if he used his own language.

I really did wonder what sort of education they were getting.  

Are, were you not a part of the education process?

• Confused 1

46 minutes ago, shy coconut said:

I thought for a moment that your wife went to the aid of the Thai lady who

was dragged out of the queue, that would have been far more commendable

than answering a few basic questions.

Thats one way to turn my compliment towards my Wife into something negative. 

Would you interfere with an Immigration Officer in Thailand when questioning another foreigner who was unable to answer their questions, who then asked them to stand aside and risk missing your flight?....  I'm sure you would, 'cos you're just that sort of 'commendable' guy, am I right????

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, sead said:

Guess university degrees doesn't make them smarter

I can corroborate this. I graduated from a well-known state university in Texas. 

A lot of the engineers in my graduating class were worthless in my opinion. As a consultant years later I met plenty of their ilk working for my client companies. Then I was glad for them providing a meal ticket for me. 

12 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

One more story.

We were coming back from an Alaska cruise, when we were checking in for our flight back home in Vancouver, we got to security and my wife got pulled over at security.

X ray had detected something.

She goes into full Thai apology mode, she'd left knitting needles in her hand baggage.

But, au Contraire mon ami.....12 inch knitting needles apparently are fine, a bottle of perfume however, that's terrorism!

I've never really understood the ban on pointed objects in baggage. It is well known that a pen or pencil inserted forcefully into an eye socket is generally immediately fatal. 

Mai pen rai. 

• Like 1

When we moved to Canada for a couple of years ( her first trip out of SE Asia)  we left with 4 suitcases. 2 which were crammed with Thai cooking herbs, oils, pastes, dried chillies, fish sauce etc etc. I did explain that she could get all of that stuff in Canada..." Not the same tee rek" was the answer. Managed to convince her though that a Thai rice cooker wouldn't work because of the voltage.

Anyway, that's why we love them.

1 hour ago, Jaxxper said:

When we moved to Canada for a couple of years ( her first trip out of SE Asia)  we left with 4 suitcases. 2 which were crammed with Thai cooking herbs, oils, pastes, dried chillies, fish sauce etc etc. I did explain that she could get all of that stuff in Canada..." Not the same tee rek" was the answer. Managed to convince her though that a Thai rice cooker wouldn't work because of the voltage.

Anyway, that's why we love them.

This is going to sound lame and girly.

Buy an Instant Pot. Depending where you are in Canada buy the Ultra so you can set an altitude adjustment.

She'll have rice in 15 minutes!

Dropped tea?

Maybe you could have explained to her that plugs and current are different in Germany. I assume they are.

Medical convention? Obviously she knows rice is better for her than German food. No insult meant to Germans.

23 hours ago, Mansell said:

Somebody should tell Teresa May this.

Mayday, Mayday, Mayday. The ship of state has struck a rock,sinking fast and the crew is busy arguing aout which music to go down with. 

4 hours ago, elgenon said:

Dropped tea?

Maybe you could have explained to her that plugs and current are different in Germany. I assume they are.

Medical convention? Obviously she knows rice is better for her than German food. No insult meant to Germans.

Hmmm, plugs may be different but to my knowledge German mains are 220\50Hz,same as here. Adaptors are plentiful and cheap anywhere you go. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/31/2019 at 5:58 AM, fouryesrs said:

why complain about your life choices...??? it tells a lot about yourselves...why marry somebody with the iQ of a snail and later complaining about it...if it needs to be a thai women that should be your life partner why not choose somebody from a high educated class....??? sorry i dont get it...

Most high educated class Thai ladies are not looking for old foreigners. They lead an ordinary family life. Anyone can see this in abundance.

55 minutes ago, ravip said:
On 3/31/2019 at 4:28 AM, fouryesrs said:

why complain about your life choices...??? it tells a lot about yourselves...why marry somebody with the iQ of a snail and later complaining about it...if it needs to be a thai women that should be your life partner why not choose somebody from a high educated class....??? sorry i dont get it...

Most high educated class Thai ladies are not looking for old foreigners. They lead an ordinary family life. Anyone can see this in abundance.

Agreed.... but not just with Thai guys... I'd hazard a guess and suggest that the majority of guys reading this forum are in relationships with normal middle class Thai girls within their own age bracket...   The difference is, these guys don't post about their 'normal relationships' as they don't feel the need to post their repetitive bumf and justify their latest acquisition and compensate for earlier failures...  

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

On 3/31/2019 at 8:04 AM, otherstuff1957 said:

A few years ago I went to a restaurant in San Francisco with my wife and a friend of hers who happened to be in the same part of the country.  We sat down, ordered our food, and while we were waiting to be served, they both picked up napkins and started to wipe down the cutlery! 

I gently reminded them that they were in the US and they both put down the forks and spoons with lots of embarrassed laughter.

I do the same at home even when Europe, I quickly rinse out the cutlery or a plate out from the dishwasher before use,  as I am not convinced with the health virtues from any dish washer detergent or rinsing liquid,  left on dishes,

When in a restaurant, I do also wipe the cutlery or the plate. So I guess your Thai wife and her friend are smarter then one may think and maybe you should put in a word to her that you were wrong (if of course it does not embarass you to do so). 

Have a nice evening.

Edited by observer90210

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed.... but not just with Thai guys... I'd hazard a guess and suggest that the majority of guys reading this forum are in relationships with normal middle class Thai girls within their own age bracket...   The difference is, these guys don't post about their 'normal relationships' as they don't feel the need to post their repetitive bumf and justify their latest acquisition and compensate for earlier failures...  

Not sure the percentage of us 'normal' couples, certainly it's not the image you tend to see in the mall with the 60 year old guy slopping around with a 20 something in a crop top, possibly with a couple of rugrats.

A lot 'I think' depends on how you meet. At work, through friends.

The ones destined for disaster are usually the bar girl/customer relationships. Where he convinces himself she loves him, and she has the PAYG mobile phone 'top up' mentality

But we do exist, those of us with normal boring lives, roughly the same age, working slobs getting through life, watching TV together in the evening sat in our PJ's.

.....I think I've just depressed myself lol

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Not sure the percentage of us 'normal' couples, certainly it's not the image you tend to see in the mall with the 60 year old guy slopping around with a 20 something in a crop top, possibly with a couple of rugrats.

A lot 'I think' depends on how you meet. At work, through friends.

The ones destined for disaster are usually the bar girl/customer relationships. Where he convinces himself she loves him, and she has the PAYG mobile phone 'top up' mentality

But we do exist, those of us with normal boring lives, roughly the same age, working slobs getting through life, watching TV together in the evening sat in our PJ's.

.....I think I've just depressed myself lol

I see 'you guys' [perfectly normal mixed couples] all the time, in the shopping malls, in the restaurants, mingling within the other perfectly normal Thai couples, blending in and generally being part of society.... 

I see these perfectly normal mixed couples when I do a school run, even when I'm in the pub or on a flight.

But what really stands out are the horror shows or the starkly juxtaposed couples... we perhaps notice these couples more and we read of these relationships on this forum because normal people tend not to want to open themselves up so much on a public forum regardless of anonymity.

One thing is for sure... Taking anyone out of their comfort zone and there will be stories.... be it a high society lords sitting on the floor of an Isaan hut or a bar girl seated at silver service table....

• Like 1