Holidayed to Thailand in 1983, Moved to Thailand 1997, Left Thailand 2019,

Interesting and enjoyable post.

The OP describes being able to move to Thailand at the age of 46 without needing to sell his house to finance the adventure, while at the same time having been able to secure a UK based income stream over the past 23 years. I, for one, would be curious to know more details about how he was able to do this.

I had good paying jobs, and saved aggressively in order to retire to Thailand at age 50. But to do what you described would have been very difficult. Maybe if the house was very modest I might have been able to swing it. Looking at the OP's story, I see he was an early baby boomer who might have been able to get into the real estate market before it started to really take off, and he might have benefitted from moving to Thailand in 1997 at the height of the Asian Contagion financial crisis.

But I doubt doing what he did would be possible today for very many 46 year olds. He is to be commended for pointing out the hidden risks surrounding unplanned repatriation, but I don't think 'don't leave unless you have a house to return to' is necessarily the right message. Very few people can afford to eliminate that risk entirely, especially when they are still only in their mid-40's. It's just a risk that most will have to bear if they take the plunge.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 2

I'm 77 years old, 35 years in Thailand, with a break in Taiwan from '86 to '93. Obviously things have changed here a lot over time, as they have everywhere else. I've no intention to leave Thailand which is still, for me at least, a good place to live and, sooner or later, to die.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alanrchase said:

And maybe Thailand should stop giving EU/USA 30 days visa exempt entries and make people from those countries jump through hoops to get a tourist visa.

Thailand economy relies heavily on foreign tourists. Not sure about EU but the USA economy definitely doesn’t 

• Thanks 1

I’ve been thinking along similar lines, though maybe not as drastic as the OP. I’m four years away from getting the UK state pension which will be worth around £8K/year, and I don’t want to lose indexation on that by living full-time in Thailand. I’m also aware that, although I’ve been lucky and am in pretty good shape and exercise every day, as time goes by the probability is that I’ll need more medical attention. I can’t get useful insurance due to the pre-existing clause, and with medical care getting ever-more expensive here (like everywhere) one possibility is to spend a bit over half the year back in the UK so that I’m resident for DWP/pension purposes and can get my ageing carcass seen to as necessary by the NHS, then spend the cold, grey winter months (that I hate back home) here in Thailand. I’ve got many friends here, house, car, girlfriend, etc., and don’t want to have to give all that up. Like the OP, I’ve kept my property in the UK and paid all my taxes and NI so moving back, at least part-time, isn’t really an issue. I guess I’m lucky to have the option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blazes said:

you would have to conclude that LoS is an intensely racist society.

You did not know they are racist? They just don't have the hugh SJW and PC crap to judge them. And thankfully there is no issue made about slavery (all slavery is wrong, but put it in the past).

Great post! Thank you. I've been here since '97, too. I hope to make it at least another to see my Son graduate from high school at Ruamrudee next summer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alanrchase said:

And maybe Thailand should stop giving EU/USA 30 days visa exempt entries and make people from those countries jump through hoops to get a tourist visa.

why would they do that? make it hard for tourists with money to visit? 

2 hours ago, blazes said:

An interesting summing-up.

For a decade, I was an expat for six months and a UK resident for the other six.  I no longer do the six months in Thailand part.

Why did I come to LoS in the first place?  (1) Much lower cost of living (2009), (2) beautiful younger women, and (3) warm weather between November and April.

My (Thai) wife is delightful and intelligent, the cost of living has shot up, and the pollution and heat are insufferable.

My three reasons for being in Thailand are now null and void.

I read ThaiVisa daily and the one thing above all that stands out as I read the headlines at the beginning is the almost universal fear people have of Thai immigration and its fatuous irrational changes to their money-spinning scam.  And Huckingfell's (great name by the way!) reference to this 800,000 baht con job sums up precisely the massive pain in the a$$ living in LoS has become.  (Not to mention the 90-day traipse to the office to prove you're a good boy and not a criminal moving from place to place.)

And compare how well your Thai wife is treated in UK or any other Western country and you can see, by comparison, the racism that dominates Thai society, from top to bottom.  Yes yes, we all know perfectly lovely and generous ("nam jai") Thai people, but if you go by the behaviour of Thai Immigration you would have to conclude that LoS is an intensely racist society.

Sorry, I don't see how you come to the conclusion "Thai immigration and its fatuous irrational changes to their money-spinning scam".  The original issue was that many of the Embassies were not checking the sources of income submitted by ex-pats.  Immigration became aware of this and asked them the pointed question, "do you check the sources of income submitted by individuals to you?"  The nearly universal answer was NO.  Therefore and not surprisingly they were told to check.  Some Embassies decided that could/would not do this and stopped issueing the letters to individuals for submission to Immigrations. 

Sadly many are "didn't know this, or don't want to know this" and lay the blame at the door of Thai Immigration, which I feel is unfair.  As a retired ex-pat, I have to go through the same system myself and yes, given the option, I could do without it, but this is not my Country of origin and if i would like the privilege to live here, I have to toe the party line.  Have you had a look at the hoops Asians have to go through to get a UK Visa. 

Last couple of years I have returned to visit Family and sorry to say that UK has very little attraction for me to up sticks and go back, but I respect those who do, because everyone's circumstances are very different.  Fortunately we have a Thai Doctor in the Family, who is my medical insurance policy, but if it gets too bad, I will ask her to "put me quietly down".

• Like 2

4 hours ago, justin case said:

it is time for the EU / USA to give back to immigrants what their own people get or lack in other countries ... NO nationality for us here, should mean, no free EU / USA passport, EVER for THAIS...maybe that would push those xyz to start to do something...

no, guess not, government does not care for thais either

agreed. recall the U.S. ambassador to Thailand.