Windows 10 Ctrl,Alt, Delete to reboot

Golden Triangle

I had a problem with Widows 10 this morning, for some reason the cursor froze and I couldn't get it move, I unplugged the wireless mouse USB, no good, so I tried Ctrl Alt Delete to invoke file manager that didn't work either, so my only option was to do a hard shut down by pressing the power button, it takes ages for the laptop (Samsung) to reboot, may 10 minutes or more, is there a better way to achieve a proper shutdown so I can do an orderly reboot ??

Any advice welcome, thanks. 

That sounds like your whole operating system has frozen/using full CPU, Memory or is running 100% disk usage. The fact you couldn't proceed further with Ctl + Alt + Del shows that. Obviously you won't be able to open Task Manager to see for yourself, but after the next boot it might be an idea to open Task Manager and have a look. If not done so already, click on the more info in the bottom left corner to expand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Actually Windows 10 may know when this happens and reboot itself after a few minutes - did for me a few days ago.  But have had to use the hold start button in the past.  You might want to consider buying an SSD to replace the HD as boot time then is not an issue and cost is not that much these days.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually Windows 10 may know when this happens and reboot itself after a few minutes - did for me a few days ago.  But have had to use the hold start button in the past.  You might want to consider buying an SSD to replace the HD as boot time then is not an issue and cost is not that much these days.

This one is a SSD, I've had it close to 8 years and upgraded to Windows 10 Pro when they were giving the upgrade away, sorry I don't know the model name or number of this laptop.

1 hour ago, chrisinth said:

That sounds like your whole operating system has frozen/using full CPU, Memory or is running 100% disk usage. The fact you couldn't proceed further with Ctl + Alt + Del shows that. Obviously you won't be able to open Task Manager to see for yourself, but after the next boot it might be an idea to open Task Manager and have a look. If not done so already, click on the more info in the bottom left corner to expand.

I have 3 tabs open, FB, BBC News and Gmail this is part of what Task manager looked like.

I don't know much about the inner workings of computers.

Task.png

Edited by Golden Triangle
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

This one is a SSD, I've had it close to 8 years

And 10 minutes to boot?  Would expect less than one if a modern SSD.  What size and how much used?  If came with SSD 8 years ago probably not too much storage available.

10 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

And 10 minutes to boot?  Would expect less than one if a modern SSD.  What size and how much used?  If came with SSD 8 years ago probably not too much storage available.

Normally when I boot up it only takes a couple of mins, it took about 10 minutes or more after I shut it down by hitting the power button, unable to close open tabs or programmes, so that probably screwed it up royally.

2 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

is there a better way to achieve a proper shutdown so I can do an orderly reboot ??

As long as the computer reacts to keyboard input (is alive):

Simultaneously press  <Windows>+R (to get up the Run dialog).

Now type:

shutdown /t 1 /f /s

and hit the <ENTER> key.

This will start shutdown of your Windows computer within a second, unsaved changes get lost.

/t 1 : one second delay (0 might also work)

/f : forced (shutdown)

/s : shutdown (no reboot), /r would do a reboot

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I tried Ctrl Alt Delete to invoke file manager

If that means that nothing happens (?), then forget the above post :whistling:

<CTRL>+<ALT>+<DEL> would not invoke file manager but a menu with certain options that you can toggle with the <TAB> key.

One is a "power button" that could then be invoked by hitting <ENTER>. A popup menu than shows three options, one of which is shutdown.

Last resort would be trying to invoke Task Manager with <CTRL>+<SHIFT>+<ESC>.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can try to press the on/off button for a short moment. On many PCs (not all) this will shut it down.

If that does not work then you have to press that button for several seconds. That' basically like pulling the power plug.

But in all cases patience and a little waiting might help.

• Like 1

Patience might really be a good idea. On my Win10 Home machine  (HP) I get that total freeze state regularly, never found out why. Freezing happening some minutes after starting the computer. Only "fix" that helps is waiting 5 to 10 minutes and everything runs smoothly.  Not remedy just workaround I know. Good luck with your Win10! 

• Like 1

After getting it rebooted again try disabling Fast Startup.  After disabling Fast Startup try restarting again.

Maybe during the computer freeze some for the Fast Startup files got corrupted and that's causing the slow reboot.   Will not hurt to give it a try.

https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager-software/how-to-fix-windows-10-slow-boot-after-update.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

Thanks for all the replies, I'll just have to remember next time it happens to fire up my phone or Tablet to check the answers here to rectify it ????

I guess that means you got it rectified by doing something....or it just magically rectified itself?

Based on your earlier replies it looked like you still had the problem...or at least that was the impression I was getting. 

1 hour ago, Pib said:

I guess that means you got it rectified by doing something....or it just magically rectified itself?

Based on your earlier replies it looked like you still had the problem...or at least that was the impression I was getting. 

No, the PC was already on, with 3 or 4 tabs open at the time, I went to do something, came back about 10 mins later and as I said in my OP the cursor was frozen, I use a wireless mouse as being of the slightly older generation I can't use the pad thingy on the laptop, I normally hit Fn then F5 to disable the pad thingy and use the mouse, I tried to unlock the pad, no good, I pulled the USB for the mouse out of it's port and re insert, that didn't work, so the only option left was to hit the power button and shut it down, when I switched it back on again the reboot took forever. That was my problem, all resolved now until the next time ????

I have the same problem , it appeared after last win 10 update few days past , curser freeze and screen partially and minute later total , sometimes can access task manager , sometimes not .

I think some bug came with update , I just push the start button long down to restart