78% of Thais go cashless as confidence in digital payments grows: Visa

webfact

3 hours ago, shady86 said:

I was held up about 20 mins last weekend at Makro because someome paid total of 8000B with 20B notes. The cashier took nearly 15 mins to count every single note to make sure all 400 pcs are genuine.

I was once short with cash at the register and had to go to the nearby ATM to use my Thai bank debit card for more cash while the cashier waited. Why doesn't Makro accept debit cards?

5 hours ago, webfact said:

More Thais are confident about the country becoming cashless.

I still can't use my chipped Thai bank debit card at some TESCO registers.

They tell me "PIN no good." Maybe because with the new chipped cards the PIN was changed from a 4-digit number to a 6-digit number.

So now before I shop I take Bt500 from the ATM, then show the receipt when my card fails at the register to show my PIN is good and the problem is TESCO in hopes that the store will upgrade its card readers. But not happening yet.

So I make sure I have CASH when shopping.

• Like 1

It doesn't have to be cards. Alipay, WeChat pay, whatever Line are offering, it's all cashless. This is why your PIN is now six digits.

If any of the SEA sample group were Chinese their feedback would be 100% cashless. Offer a Chinese taxi driver a note now and he probably won't have change.

5 hours ago, bluebluewater said:

I have seen none of what is being claimed.  I'm thinking somebody is telling a porky.

It is absolute b.llsh.t!!! They are probably referring to those with a bank account. So many villagers keep their money under the bed as they have no banks for miles!! ????????????

5 hours ago, bluebluewater said:

I have seen none of what is being claimed.  I'm thinking somebody is telling a porky.

More propaganda from the Nation.  Just pure lies. 4 out of every Thais I know don't even have a credit card.  And a good many of them no bank account.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gmac said:

Don't think the news got through the Bangkok Bank, they scrapped their Visa debit card.  Also surprised to learn that if 78% of Thais have gone cashless they must accepting visa in the markets now!

The Chinese UnionPay with which they replaced Visa didn't go well either but, good news, they now issue Mastercard badged Debit Cards.

The company I work for owns a number of Thai style apartment buildings. Last year we transitioned away from rent payments in cash. Now nearly every payment is made by bank transfer.

We used to have building managers with several hundred thousand baht cash in their offices, and their safety was a concern for us.

Now we just reconcile the bank credits against the invoiced amount. It's much easier all round, and it frees up the managers who don't have to sit in their offices five evenings a month until 9pm waiting for tenants to come and pay.

It works for us, and we haven't had any complaints from the tenants. We do have a few elderly tenants that don't have smartphones and who would find it difficult to get to the bank to deposit the money. We still take cash from them just to make their lives a bit easier.

We are not the only building owners to do so. It would appear that other landlords in the area are doing the same thing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Artisi said:

A complete and utter bullsh1t story, probably more than half the population wouldn't have the financial backing to be issued with a card? 

Visa debit needs no backing, some may ask for small initial deposit. I think just about all Thais I know in my extended family have got at least one. That includes a bunch of Isaanites.

6 hours ago, Brigand said:

Cashless is just the final nail in the privacy coffin. 

I’m guessing you’ve been in Thailand a while. Australia has been ‘cashless’ for many many years. ‘Tap & go’ either by phone or chip cards (debit or credit) is  used in a majority of transactions. 

My bank statement each month used to break down all my spending to what and where I spent my money. It was fantastic for money management. 

I never felt my privacy was compromised

3 hours ago, Srikcir said:

I still can't use my chipped Thai bank debit card at some TESCO registers.

They tell me "PIN no good." Maybe because with the new chipped cards the PIN was changed from a 4-digit number to a 6-digit number.

So now before I shop I take Bt500 from the ATM, then show the receipt when my card fails at the register to show my PIN is good and the problem is TESCO in hopes that the store will upgrade its card readers. But not happening yet.

So I make sure I have CASH when shopping.

I love it when you’re asked for your PIN number then AFTER the transaction is approved you need to sign the reciept 555

most are also cashless and living on their credit cards.  the banks here are in the red do to the irresponsible spending of their customers but hey, expats to the rescue with their 800k deposits.  i hate having to put cash into someones account here at my bank when buying something. archaic.

Edited by malibukid

56 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

And then you go into kasikorn's web bank and look at the statement and have no clue what was paid since all are marked just payment without any details. What is it, 1930's?

so quaint, but this is why we love LOS.  went into central to see if they had a shirt in my size and they brought out this big ledger.  right out of Dickens????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, blackcab said:

We are not the only building owners to do so. It would appear that other landlords in the area are doing the same thing.

I own a 70 plus room condo, over 90% of the tenants pay by bank transfer. Its easier and more convenient for everyone involved. Like you said, not having to deal with cash is a big relief also.

A post with an altered quote has been removed.

If you reply to another poster, please do so underneath the text that you quoted. Please do not type inside the quoted text box. If necessary, you can highlight one portion of their post, quote it and reply underneath. You can then highlight another portion of their post and reply under that.

Something like this:

50 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Paying bills via card

Reply here.

50 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

puts people out of work

Reply here.

13 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

Once the population is lured  into "cashless", Thai banks will drop all the discounts and freebies, then start up with more fees instead!

Of course they will. And the poor will struggle to pay the fees which will effectively be a tax on their money which they have to pay to the bank. Lord protect us from these feral greedy bankers.

18 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

The Chinese UnionPay with which they replaced Visa didn't go well either but, good news, they now issue Mastercard badged Debit Cards.

You should try using one......it's a piece of cr*p, mine won't work for online transactions gets refused most of the time in shops and cannot be relied on for anything except cash withdrawals.