Who really suffers

She gets what she gets. Making sure she gets it is your job, if you are found prostate and intestate the odds are against it. Beware lawyers and police getting involved. Although a lawyer will be needed to release bank account money as a court order is needed. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 2

Suffering?

How can someone suffer when they receive something they never had in the first place?  

Now if you keep 800K/400K locked up in a Thai bank account, that is choice, not suffering...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

OP you claim you having 2 wives is the reason why you cannot marry your Thai gf. Apart from the bigamy angle, can you actually disinherit completely your wives? If not, then your gf will suffer much more from having to share the estate than from any lost interest.

27 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

OP you claim you having 2 wives is the reason why you cannot marry your Thai gf. Apart from the bigamy angle, can you actually disinherit completely your wives? If not, then your gf will suffer much more from having to share the estate than from any lost interest.

They already have had their large settlements and do not know I live in Thailand.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ivor bigun said:

Its not the fact that i have to put 800,000 in the account the bothers me,its the fact that i cant spend my own money,end of.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

If you spent the money it would no longer be in the bank so I guess it does bother you.  I mean, I could give you the money and you put in in the bank and get a deposit slip and then withdraw the money and give it back to me.

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, mlkik said:

I keep 800,000 baht in a Thai bank for my retirement extension and the interest rate is as good as the rate if I kept it in a UK bank.

No argument, but that is part of the point.  Who in their right mind (back in our home countries), would park the equivalent of 800K baht in a bank, to basically lose against annual inflation?   No significant gain, no tax incentive, nada.   A reasonable investment (or brokerage) can almost guarantee a safe X points above inflation or X% over interest rates at a bank...

An annual burning of 20 baht bills for a humdinger of a bbq, would give a better roi than parking 800k here.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

...or he can afford loosing 8k THB (200 and something Euros) net interest/year to be on the save side with his extension.

I was referring to funds in overseas banks, not Thailand where it is compulsory.

6 hours ago, NancyL said:

I know several elderly expats who, as they got to be 80 - 85+ in age, decided to simplify their financial life and bring all their money into Thailand to make it easier for their Thai partner/spouse to access it upon their passing.  And yes, it did simplify matters when they passed

In some cases, providing easy access might have also sped up their passing - something to keep in mind as well.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

A good way to lose in the long term.

Wherever you are, banks pay 1-2% interest. They then lend it out at 6-7%.

Let's say you have funds on deposit in Australia, current interest rate 1.5%. As income, it is then taxed say at 30%. Your real rate of return is then 1% pa.

At an annual inflation rate of 3%, your capital is being chewed up at a rate of 2% per year.

In Thailand, we are forced to keep 800,000 baht on deposit. It is what it is.

IMHO anyone who keeps more than living expenses on deposit with a bank is financially illiterate.

I agree. 

That's why the 800k / 400k untouched is such a lousy deal.

Now, if the "visa agents" are allowed to keep operating, despite the new laws, "Who really suffers" with be those using the 800k / 400k method, who will be roughly paying 4000 baht more, for the same product. (visa)

Not to mention, they basically can not use 400k of their own money, forever.

Then, there is the stress of seasoning, paperwork, bank letters, fronting immigration etc etc. 

As you rightly point out, the 800k method runs at a financial loss for the expat, and sure does make for an expensive visa.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Snow Leopard said:

It doesn't make any difference keeping 800K in a Thai Bank or any bank outside Thailand. Central and Commercial Banks will devalue it to Zero in the end anyway. 

A balanced, and well managed, non aggressive fund, will return about 6% to 8%. 

Factor those losses into the cost of your visa, by keeping 800k in a Thai bank. 

What do you think the Thai banks do with your 800k?

Edited by Thailand Outcast
  • Like 1