Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

That's it! I'm done with Collingwood. I love 'em, but if I want to have any chance in this tipping comp I need to go with my head and not my heart.

Not many would've picked Carlton today though.

I usually pick with my head, so I went with the Maggies.

But lifetime loyalties for the Blues and a tribal hatred for the arch enemy tugged away at my conscience.

I couldn't sit in front of the telly and hope for Collingwood to win, so I changed my tip at the last moment

• Like 2

If I Was a Crows supporter, I'd be livid at the umpiring tonight.

Adelaide just got slaughtered.

20-5 at 3 quarter time.

Apparently, one umpire Troy Parnell gave 17 frees to WB & 1 to Ade

The plot thickens as apparently, Parnell is a self confessed Doggies supporter.

Watch this space.

"Crows to seek answers from the umpires for uneven count."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-05-08/crows-seek-answers-from-umpires-for-uneven-count

• Like 1

20-5 at 3 quarter time.

Watch this space.

The Crows supporters have claimed umpire bias from the day they played their first game.

I suppose that a point could be made that after 20 years they finally had some justification. laugh.png

• Like 2

That's it! I'm done with Collingwood. I love 'em, but if I want to have any chance in this tipping comp I need to go with my head and not my heart.

The pleasure of seeing the Demons win is almost matched by the delight of seeing Collingwood get spanked.clap2.gif

• Like 2

20-5 at 3 quarter time.

Watch this space.

Apparently, Pannell gave the Dogs 17 free kicks to Adelaide's 1.

Edited by Will27

20-5 at 3 quarter time.

Watch this space.

Here's Pannell giving "The package" a good luck pat on the arsebiggrin.png

post-69328-0-38997100-1462681284_thumb.j

20-5 at 3 quarter time.

Watch this space.

If the player reciprocated it would cost him a week on the sidelines.

Try doing that at work and see how you gorolleyes.gif

Edited by Will27

20-5 at 3 quarter time.

Watch this space.

If the player reciprocated it would cost him a week on the sidelines.

Try doing that at work and see how you gorolleyes.gif

Chimps tells me those two are an item away from game day

Tipping Results are in and we have 3 Tipsters with 8 out of 9!

Sceadunga, Ron19 and Cynical Sailor all share the honours. great effort with some difficult games

Cynical Sailor had the best margin of the 3 Tipsters

overall leader is still Ripstanley and Will27 has joined him on 47 points.

Congrats to Cynical Sailor on winning what was a difficult round.

• Like 1

Mark Robinson slams into Collingwood and Buckley in his column today...This is the most wordage I have seen him give to any likes or dislikes in his column.

Robbo was slammed by Buckley on AFL360, with rumour having it a portion of the show had to be edited out because Bucks was getting nasty.

Revenge for Robbo? you decide...

"Mark Robinson’s highlights and lowlights from Round 7"

As the dust settles from Round 7, it’s the dislikes that attract the big headlines.

Don’t miss Robbo’s live chat from 11.30am on Monday below to discuss the Round 7 action.

DISLIKES

1. COLLINGWOOD

At 2-5 and spiralling south, you have to wonder if the Pies’ hierarchy are asking themselves questions about the coach. If not, no worries, move on. But they’d be derelict in their duty if they weren’t at least very worried. Buckley is a proud man, but even he could be asking questions of himself.

Collingwood was beaten on Saturday by a team many thought would win the wooden spoon this year. The startling fact is Brendon Bolton has had one summer and seven games to put in place a defensive system and is giving up 87 points a game. The Pies, in their fifth year under Buckley, are giving up 105 points a game, which is diabolical after four consecutive seasons of averaging mid-80s.

Buckley said his defensive system is the same employed by the elite teams, but his players can’t get it done. Bolton’s team is simply getting it done. On Saturday against a team which is struggling to score, the Pies were minus-18 contested possessions, minus-11 clearances, minus-5 tackles, minus-11 inside 50s. Carlton, on average, launch 11 points per game from defensive 50m — they scored 30 points against the Pies.

Buckley’s contract was extended this season until the end of 2017, but for the first time there are queries about Buckley’s ability to get the best out of this group. His team has won just four of its past 18 matches which would suggest whatever Buckley is asking, his players aren’t answering.

Buckley keeps saying right the things — why they were beaten, where they were beaten, the youth factor — but into his fifth year, the graph wasn’t supposed to be drilling in this direction. At present, and arguably for the majority of the past 18 games, the Pies don’t have the consistent collective effort that is expected. Combine that with the defensive failings this year and you have an ordinary team.

Buckley could well turn it around this season, but until he does, the spotlight will continue to be on him and his players. There is one question hanging in the air, however, after president Eddie McGuire said he would sack Buckley if he had to: How bad does it have to get before McGuire is asking himself that exact question?

2. THE PAST 18 GAMES

post-147205-0-42268700-1462720984_thumb.

post-147205-0-31519700-1462720977_thumb.

3. SO WHAT’S WRONG?

The Pies can’t do what Nathan Buckley is asking, so is it about how he’s asking? Buckley speaks football as well as anyone. He speaks matter of factly, clinically and numbers aren’t far away in any of his dissections. Sunday on 3AW, Bulldog Jordan Roughead said of his coach Luke Beveridge: “He always finds the way to get the emotional hook to have the team playing for each other.’’

At the moment, Buckley isn’t finding the way. From afar you wonder if Buckley is asking himself is he is too clinical, too process-oriented? It’s only a theory, but somewhere between the coach and the players, the emotional levels are failing. Whatever it is, Buckley is a young coach and still developing and learning, so arguably this lean period might make him a better coach in the long run.

4. WEST COAST

Once again on the road and outside of the run in the third quarter, once again they failed miserably. Too many players can’t do it away from Subi. Guys like Elliott Yeo, Mark LeCras, Jamie Cripps. And it’s probably best to not mention Lewis Jetta. Has been a failure since crossing from Sydney and coach Adam Simpson put it nicely when he said Jetta was a work in progress. Surely, the immediate progress will be in the WAFL.

5. FREMANTLE

Damien Hardwick is taking a kicking and Nathan Buckley is being abandoned by the Collingwood faithful, yet Ross Lyon is escaping the headlines, on the east coast anyway. Is it because he has a five-year deal? There’s merit in that. If Lyon was out of contract at the end of the year, there would be heightened scrutiny. Clearly, the expectation at the start of the year has been replaced by a clear development direction and it would seem the everyone at the club is on the same page.

6. GAZZA

“I need to get back to hunting the football,’’ Gary Ablett said after the game. Which sounded a little weird because Gaz hasn’t been accused of loping since he was a forward pocket at Geelong. He’s in a slump, but unquestionably, he’s also carrying an injury. Is the back after the Ben Cunnington incident lingering? Because he is playing easy football.

7. DELIBERATE CONFUSION

Applaud the rule, but it’s still being adjudicated in the weirdest ways. On Saturday night, Jed Adcock and Eddie Betts were reaching for the ball, Adcock marginally got there first — we only know that because of the replay — and the ball squirted over the boundary line. The umpire paid deliberate against Adcock, the Crows got the ball and Charlie Cameron in the ensuing play kicked a goal. It was the wrong decision. It wasn’t deliberate, it was a contest for the ball. That’s not what the rule was brought in for.

8. WHAT HOPE UMPIRES, THOUGH?

AFTER the North Melbourne-Bulldogs game last week, North inquired about the deliberate paid against Scott Thompson, who tried to tap the ball to teammate Nick Dal Santo, only for the ball to miss the target and go over the line. North was told it was the correct decision. It’s fast becoming last touch rather than deliberate.

1. CARLTON

The growth in the Blues has been extraordinary. That’s three in a row — against Fremantle, Essendon and Collingwood — and Blues fans would be rapt. It’s called workrate. It’s called team football. It’s called working to the system. And there’s buy in from everyone. The Blues aren’t world beaters, but it’s apparent they are very difficult to play against. There’s no need for numbers to explain what’s going on, they are simply a committed group of young men.

2. CURNOW AND CASBOULT

Liked BT’s assessment that Levi Casboult would be the best forward in the game if he could kick goals. Took 11 marks, seven of them contested, and kicked the match-winner from 55m. It was imposing football. The other bloke is an unknown quality. Released from tagging shackles, he’s become a ball-winning, head-over-the-ball midfielder. He returned 24 disposals, 13 tackles and seven clearances. Last year he had seven games with more than 24 possessions. He has five games of more than 24 possessions this year.

3 ATTACKING FOOTBALL

Twitter stats guru Josh Kay (@js_kay) had this offering on Saturday night. Under Paul Roos, the Demons’ average points have been: 2014 - 56.4, 2015 - 65.6 and 2016 - 109.3. That’s more than a seven-goal improvement in goalscoring from last year. It’s always difficult to beat Gold Coast at home and although the Suns lost two players with injury, and Gazza was worryingly out of touch, the Demons managed a clinical 24.16 score. So much to like, but what should be noted is Melbourne had the youngest and least experienced side for the round, led by James Harmes, Jayden Hunt and Josh Wagner. Quite fairly, outside of their family, friends and Melbourne fans, most people would be asking, who the hell are those three.

4. TACKLING

The oft-spoken theory that if you’re tackling too much it means you haven’t got the ball is rubbish. Guess what, North Melbourne is the No.1 tackling side in the competition. Stunning output by the Cats on Saturday, not so much by the team — they laid a solid 77 tackles — but it was who laid them. Mark Blicavs, who had more than an eye on Luke Shuey, had 10 tackles. Harry Taylor laid eight, Tom Hawkins laid six, Corey Enright seven and Andrew Mackie five. Extraordinary numbers from the talls and the defenders which will be pointed out — with big fun — to the midfielders no doubt.

6. TACKLING (2)

Hawks coach Alastair Clarkson wanted more from his midfielders and got it without Sam Mitchell. Jordan Lewis led as the skipper, Isaac Smith returned to his running best, Billy Hartung too, but reckon Clarkson would’ve been rapt with the game of Liam Shiels. He laid 16 tackles, won four clearances and kicked a goal and should get coaches votes from Clarkson. Shiels is often unsung in a team of high-profile and highly-skilled stars.

7. HEENEY AND FRANKLIN

Sounds like a Sydney law firm, when in fact they are a football firm with considerable impact. Kicked 11 of 20 goals and took 13 marks, nine to the blonde bomber who is probably exceeding the hype. They reckon he could be an A-grade midfielder, but that won’t be happening any time soon. Franklin and Heeney remind me of the double dose of power and skill that Lockett and Micky O or Hall and Micky O delivered for many years.

8. MARCUS BONTEMPELLI

Missed some crucial shots at goal in the elimination final last year and on Saturday night, there was some redemption. He kicked the winner with under a minute to play, a 50m bomb, and it was lost on no one in the post-match. He was ice-cool over the ball and ice cool about his goal when interviewed by Cameron Ling. That’s the thing about these Dogs, they don’t get ahead of themselves. Even Jakey Stringer, God love him, is cooling his jets.

HONOURABLE MENTIONS

Josh Jenkins kicks eight, Lachie Neale had 25 contested possessions, Anthony Miles stood up, Scott Pendlebury’s a champ, Bryce Gibbs is back, Steven Motlop was magical, Scott Selwood is dominating, Josh Kennedy had 40 and 11 clearances, big Maxy Gawn should’ve been my Supercoach captain, Luke Dahlhaus works as hard as any player and there’s even more love for Callan Ward.

Well the saints proved that they are not to be taken lightly. The definately can run out a game and if the opposition relaxes for a moment they are going to get wacked hard. Eagles must be at their best this week. I almost got the upset in the tipping. What's with wood just standing there holding the ball, watching the clock on the score board for 30 seconds waiting for the siren to go. Probably wouldn't have effected the outcome but sides can move the ball from one to the other in less than 30 seconds.

Well the saints proved that they are not to be taken lightly. The definately can run out a game and if the opposition relaxes for a moment they are going to get wacked hard. Eagles must be at their best this week. I almost got the upset in the tipping. What's with wood just standing there holding the ball, watching the clock on the score board for 30 seconds waiting for the siren to go. Probably wouldn't have effected the outcome but sides can move the ball from one to the other in less than 30 seconds.

I thought the St's were a tad unlucky to be honest.

Were finishing all over North but just lacked a bit of polish.

The ruck infringement free kick to Goldstein was fitty fitty at best.

Umps should have a feel for the game and shouldn't affect the game with a soft free.

Mark Robinson slams into Collingwood and Buckley in his column today...This is the most wordage I have seen him give to any likes or dislikes in his column.

Robbo was slammed by Buckley on AFL360, with rumour having it a portion of the show had to be edited out because Bucks was getting nasty.

Revenge for Robbo? you decide...

Yep, it's been real frosty between Robbo and Bucks since round 1 where Robbo wrote the article about Pies players failing illicit drug tests.

AFL 360 will be an interesting watch tonight.

People keep on about WC's inability to win away from home but nothing's really changed from last year.

The difference is last year we played most of the top 8 sides at home and won 9 out of 11. This year we play the good sides away and the bottom line is,

unless you're an exceptional side (we're not), it's hard to win away for travelling sides playing top 8 sides.

So far this year, I think only once, when North beat a struggling GC has an interstate travelling side won.

All of Syd, Ade ,GWS and Geelongs losses this year have been interstate.

WC need to be more competitive away from home for sure.

But I don't think we're flat track bullies, more like home track bulliestongue.png

It's always galling when you hear other teams complaining about the horrors of having to travel to Perth once a year.

The VFL AFL have always been sympathetic to the Perth teams by thinking of them first when scheduling games in new venues like Tassie and Canberra. This was in the days when there were no direct flights, and you had to transit Sydney or Melbourne to get to those places.

As someone who had to fly from Perth to Canberra frequently in my working days, I know first hand how tiring these transit stops can be.

Years ago studies were done that showed injury recovery time was adversely affected by players having to sit in a plane for 5 hours after a game. Player longevity suffered. Games records for Perth teams players are generally much lower than sides who rarely travel.

One of the reasons I've been especially happy to see Essendon and Collingwood struggling this year, is that these teams are virtually given 18 home games a year in their two stadiums.

And while I'm having a bitch, it's time to stop giving Melbourne teams massive advantage with MCG finals. It's ludicrous when one team can go into a grand final with half their team never having played on that ground!

• Like 1

The West has always had the worst of it but their track record shows it can be overcome.

Another problem is keeping interstate recruits but then i suppose all clubs have issues with that.

I feel for WA teams in some ways. Attracting interstate talent must be more difficult, with many players not wanting to relocate to Perth.

It is a longgggg way from the rest of Australia

• Like 1

And while I'm having a bitch, it's time to stop giving Melbourne teams massive advantage with MCG finals. It's ludicrous when one team can go into a grand final with half their team never having played on that ground!

Have to wonder if the GF was played in Perth last year, would there have been a different result??

It is about time the interstate teams got very very vocal about playing the GF in Melbourne....a definite advantage for Melbourne based teams.

The AFL likes the spectacular and the revenue and the build up for the GF being at the MCG...and AFL HQ is in Victoria

GF venues.

For some football followers, attending a round match at the MCG is just a normal occurrence, whereas for others like myself who has never been to the footy at the MCG, it would be a new and exciting adventure. To attend a GF to watch my team participate is the stuff of dreams.

I feel that the endeavour required by an interstate based team to play and win a GF at a unaccustomed and possibly hostile MCG adds to the victory.

There would also be that winners grin of coming home with the trophy.

I think I would feel somewhat robbed of that holy grail experence if my chance to see the Eagles play in a GF was at Subiaco oval or the being constructed new “Perth Oval” .

I agree that it’s not really fair to be the visiting team, invaders have never been welcomed but they have the most fun when they win.

• Like 2

Have to wonder if the GF was played in Perth last year, would there have been a different result??

It is about time the interstate teams got very very vocal about playing the GF in Melbourne....a definite advantage for Melbourne based teams.

The AFL likes the spectacular and the revenue and the build up for the GF being at the MCG...and AFL HQ is in Victoria

I've said previously that I think we would've beaten the Hawks last year in the GF if it was in Perth.

Wonder if Sydney feel the same way about 20014.

Most of the money comes from TV rights anyway and most grounds hold 50 00.

For sure,, any GF experience would be good and there should be an advantage for a upper ladder finish.

I reckon if you did the sums, with all the finals that have been played by interstate teams in Melbourne, it would come out as a bonus for the Victorian Tourist economy.

One of the problems of finals being played at Subi is that you don’t get to sit with the fellow members that you have shared the home games with for years.

The seating allocation seems to be ad-hoc at best. You may be lucky and be able to book your season seat but I don’t think so. And there not the same price. Not that I think finals seating is going to figure for Dockers members this year. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1