Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

On 2017-6-17 at 7:23 PM, farmerjo said:

Can't wait for this round to be over and get back to 3 umpires.

Good win by the Blues tonight but poor ole Gazza,bumped and scragged all night off the ball.

He's got a better temperament than me,that's for sure.

Umps,umps,umps my theme of the week.:smile:

Please 4 umps and yet decisions under their nose aren't noticed except the ole rough up a defender after you get a goal then get a free kick for retalliation.Yet later in the game it's you started it!!!

Maggots.

• Like 2

Please 4 umps and yet decisions under their nose aren't noticed except the ole rough up a defender after you get a goal then get a free kick for retalliation.Yet later in the game it's you started it!!!
Maggots.

Too many cooks,spoil the broth.

• Like 2

The Tackle - The Herald Sun

WHAT I LIKE

1. BLOCKBUSTERS

Next Sunday, 3.20pm, MCG, Richmond v Carlton will be the biggest game between these two teams since the 2013 elimination final. For those who have forgotten, that was the day Chris Judd put on the Superman cape after half-time. Judd lent it to Bryce Gibbs on Saturday night. Gibbs is the first player in history to have 40-plus disposals, 10-plus tackles and kick two goals in a match — the goals coming in a tense final quarter. He had 43 disposals, 809m gained, 28 uncontested possessions, seven inside-50s, and eight score involvements in the best game of his career. The questions now are: Does Gibbs like what he sees at Carlton and plan to stay or has his trade value gone up even further after his form this season?

2. TOMAS BUGG

He will be accused of being disrespectful, although pre-game banter is more accurate. His social media photograph having a crack at Jason Johannisen added to the event and if you didn’t like the feisty first half then you don’t like football. Melbourne’s pressure once again was supreme, Bugg and Watts were a handful in the front half, Oscar McDonald is coming along nicely in the back half, Michael Hibberd is a star and Cam Pedersen will be bloody unlucky if he has to make way for Max Gawn. In a season which hasn’t settled, the Demons are as good a chance as anyone to go deep in September.

3. NIC NEWMAN

The moment was the near the end of the game when Newman and Dan Rioli hunted the ball on the wing. Rioli was bumped and lost his feet. Newman stayed on his, won the ball and the Tigers lost any momentum they had. Newman’s performances continue to be first rate. When the Swans began their comeback, Newman was as influential as any player. From the 13 minute mark of the second quarter, he won a game-high 19 disposals and gained a game-high 444 metres.

4. SEB ROSS

It was a win for the Saints and coach Alan Richardson doesn’t care if it was ugly. What’s not ugly is Seb Ross. He’s had 30-plus disposals in every game since Round 4 and is rated elite for disposals and uncontested possessions, and above average for metres gained and clearances. That puts him in the top bunch of midfielders by numbers. Aged 24 and with 70 games played, he will get better. Boy, the match was ugly, but at least the Saints’ ball movement was back to what it was in Rounds 1-8. They scored eight of their 12 goals from chains starting in the defensive half, helped somewhat by North Melbourne’s poor disposal.

5. NATHAN VARDY

Geelong coach Chris Scott would have been shaking his head. He would be pleased for Vardy but not overly thrilled the big man finally produced the best game of his career against his former team. He had 125 ranking points (a career-high) and dominated Zac Smith in the ruck (eight hit-outs-to-advantage to Smith’s four). More importantly he got involved around the ground, winning 10 contested possessions and six clearances. Actually, take that back, Scott wouldn’t be pleased at all.

6. WHERE’S THAT BEEN, WEST COAST?

Before Thursday’s match, West Coast had applied the least amount of pressure in the competition — an average 173 pressure points per game. Against Geelong the Eagles had a pressure factor of 203, their second most amount of pressure applied in a game under Adam Simpson. Pressure doesn’t decide games solely, but very rarely does a team win a game with half-hearted intent. It was also a breakout game for Dom Sheed, who had a career-high 127 ranking points.

7. ERIC HIPWOOD

Brisbane lost, but this kid won even more admirers. He is a mix of Lance Franklin and Joe Daniher, a big, galloping, confident key forward who is dangerous around the 50m line. Just 10 kicks and four marks, but his two goals were special.

8. DARCY BYRNE-JONES

Another breakout game from a young man who has terrific football nous. Career-high 25 disposals and he may be required to play more of a role in the midfield after Jared Polec’s hamstring injury. Into the top four for Port and despite the loss to Essendon, it is well placed after the bye breaks.

WHAT I DISLIKE

1. RICHMOND

As expectations rise, so does the scrutiny and Tigers’ fans accepting gallant defeats can’t be tolerated. If they won this, and won that, and turned around the one-goal losses ... it doesn’t matter. It’s a win-loss competition and the Tigers aren’t in the top two because they keep failing. On Saturday they whipped the Swans on the outside and won the contested ball early, before the Swans roped them in and made it a game of inches, with their tackling and pressure. Guess who failed?

2. SO, WHAT HAPPENED?

At the 13th minute of the second quarter, the Tigers lead by 36 points. From that point, the Swans outscored Richmond 70 points to 25. Sydney dominated around the stoppages, scoring 43 points to seven from clearances and Sydney won the contested possession count by 17 in this period. We tend to feel sorry for Richmond when it loses the close ones, but the simple fact is the Tigers are just not good enough for quarters. It will happen with more experience and, let’s be honest, the coach would sell his house if it would land him a second key forward. Identifying the problem is one thing, correcting it is another. How much would they love a Levi Casboult type to compete in the air.

3. THE SUNS

The club put on the record they want fight this season and at quarter-time, every football official was on notice. They responded, but gee it was a debilitating first quarter. The Blues won the disposals by 53, contested possessions by 21, uncontested possessions by 33, inside-50s by 15, and pressure by 29. The Suns’ three inside-50s for the term was their fewest in a quarter. Tom Lynch has been so-so this year as the ’’best forward in the game’’, David Swallow has been worse and players such as Pearce Hanley and Aaron Hall are too inconsistent.

4. MICHAEL BARLOW’S LEG

There would be few players more liked and respected than Barlow and unfortunately Saturday night’s horrific injury will be a hurdle to overcome as his career nears the end. He’s 30 in December, is contracted for next year, and will need all of this year to rehab the leg. Hopefully he gets another shot at it next year and he probably will. A broken leg might zap speed from most players, but with Barlow it’s difficult take speed when he hasn’t got any.

5. ACTING AND POOR UMPIRING

The Alex Rance-Lance Franklin push and shove was part of the theatre on Saturday, but no one liked Rance flopping to the ground. We can laugh, but it was quite pathetic from Rance, who was clearly the most dominant player on the ground. What a player he is. What was more pathetic, however, was the umpire giving Rance a free kick. Buddy slapped Rance, Rance slapped back and Buddy slapped again. It was like two peacocks having a squabble. The umpire should have told Rance to get up and play football and not reward him with a soft free kick.

6. JAKE STRINGER

Probably unfair to single out one player in the overall demise of the Bulldogs, but there’s something not right about Stringer. Just the one great game this year and many poor games, and Sunday was as poor as any of them. He’s not alone. Easton Wood, Jason Johannisen, Tory Dickson, Marcus Bontempelli are not producing near their best. Call it hangover, call it anything you like, but the Dogs just aren’t the same side. On Sunday, they were out hunted, ball flow was scrappy and the forwards didn’t give a yelp despite almost 50 inside 50s.

7. DON’T WANT TO SOUND LIKE A BROKEN RECORD ...

Inspiring Geelong skipper Joel Selwood has only been tagged twice this year which, according to Champion Data, is having a midfield opponent for more than 50 minutes. First it was Collingwood’s Levi Greenwood in Round 6 and Mark Hutchings last Thursday night. Greenwood kept him to 13 disposals in 79 minutes and Hutchings kept him to seven disposals in 61 minutes. For what it’s worth, don’t how Selwood’s hit on Sam Mitchell can be graded as low impact. Accept it could be argued it was careless, but it wasn’t low impact.

8. SO, WHY NOT TAG ABLETT?

Carlton’s Ed Curnow is a terrific player who never yields and who has tagged an opposition player just three times this year, one of them being on Saturday night. Gary Ablett ripped Hawthorn the previous week with 37 disposals and two goals and the Blues weren’t going to allow him such freedom again. Curnow spent 74 minutes on Ablett, who had just 17 disposals, nine contested possessions, and three clearances and 25 disposals overall. If only opposition teams put half as much time into the half-back champs at Carlton. Surely, Sam Docherty and Kade Simpson can’t be having 30-plus every second week or so because besides Carlton’s pressure, these two are Carlton’s one wood.

9. NO MORE EXCUSES

Have heard for six years how Lindsay Thomas is a good bloke and a great clubman, and he’s all of that. And he’s also a cheap-shot player. He delivered an elbow to the face of a Carlton VFL player at the weekend who was doing nothing except shaping up to tackle. Thomas will argue he was trying to fend off the tackler, but once again Thomas “missed by that much’’. Another suspension beckons and, putting further in doubt his AFL career.

Edited by Will27
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, ripstanley said:

Round 13 completed. Thank goodness. A few upsets but we had 3 tipsters with 4/6. They were BigbWazz, Gazzman and Ozzydom. This weeks winner is Biggwazz with a margin of 7. Great tipping boys.

Overall our leader is still Radar501 on 69 from Ozzydom on 68.

This afternoons upset ( Melbourne thrashing of Western Bulldogs) had only 2 selecting Melbourne. They were Radar and Ozzydom. Looks like our leaders know whats going on. 

Nice work again this week guys.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AlexRRR said:

Joseph vs Grant, stone motherless last vs 3rd cab off the rank....and the west aussie kid has his work cut out for him....like to know where you got your $$$ from looks like a nice midfield there now,  but there are a couple of duds in def....Grant by 200....

That extra trade per week was an awesome weapon to use for those of us not playing for points during the byes ;)

15 hours ago, AlexRRR said:

No dont like playing in the bye's its silly and not a true reflection of the teams comp....its fine the way it is this year officer dibbles...

I'm neither here nor there on it... Having to select 18 players to be playing during the byes was almost impossible, which would've made for some interesting match ups. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Consistently inconsistent.

Selwood...low impact and careless...<deleted>!

Buddy's report should've been withdrawn.

Disgraceful.

Rance should've been given a week for bad acting...

But you're right as usual Khun Will27, consistently inconsistent...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GrantSmith said:

Rance should've been given a week for bad acting...

But you're right as usual Khun Will27, consistently inconsistent...

Careless for Selwood!

One would've thought that when you're falling to the ground, you put your arms

out to brace the fall. Not cock your elbow.

http://www.theage.com.au/video/video-sport/video-afl-real-footy/selwood-and-mitchell-look-set-for-tribunal-20170615-4v5cc.html

• Like 2

I'm only surprised that Selwood didn't win a free kick for elbowing Mitchell. :saai:

Here is 2017's free kick leaderboard.   The usual suspect is on top, then light years to the next three.

Joel Selwood   40

Shane Mumford   28

Todd Goldstein   27

Dayne Zorko   27

On another subject,, umpires can allow advantage for a free kick, so why not for a mark?   I saw it happen again on the weekend.   A player marked the ball, which spilled out on impact with the ground.   A teammate swooped on the ball and was away, only for the ump to call the ball back for the mark.

• Like 2

Big grudge match against Alex in this weeks fantasy and all my longer term planning with trades over the byes has left me caught out trying to field a full team.

Pretty sure same happened last year but at least this time i have ladder position to be able to let it settle over a few weeks before the finals.Just goes to show how important it is to find that younger talent with potential to fill the bench.

However not giving the fixture away yet as i know Alex has player concerns of his own.:smile: 

• Like 2

On 6/18/2017 at 9:44 PM, farmerjo said:

Maggots.

I reckon that the Maggots are on the take.

Those that umpire at close games get preference for more gigs.

IMHO Something is going on because there are some dodgy decisions made a crucial times.

• Like 1

I knew WC were robbed in the 2005 GF:bah:

Barry Hall: I should have been suspended for 2005 Grand Final

Former Sydney star Barry Hall admits he shouldn't have been allowed to play in the Swans' 2005 Grand Final triumph after punching St Kilda's Matt Maguire in the preliminary final.

Speaking after he was inducted into the AFL Hall of Fame, Hall said the club exploited a loophole in tribunal rules to argue that the incident occurred 'in play' - despite it happening almost 50m off the ball.

"There was a little glitch in the rules and we knew that," Hall said

"I shouldn’t have played. If rules are rules, I shouldn’t have played the Grand Final.

"I hit a guy. The rules were “in play, out of play”, he was clearly out of game.

"I got away with one. What can you do?"

36 minutes ago, Will27 said:

I knew WC were robbed in the 2005 GF:bah:

Barry Hall: I should have been suspended for 2005 Grand Final

Former Sydney star Barry Hall admits he shouldn't have been allowed to play in the Swans' 2005 Grand Final triumph after punching St Kilda's Matt Maguire in the preliminary final.

Speaking after he was inducted into the AFL Hall of Fame, Hall said the club exploited a loophole in tribunal rules to argue that the incident occurred 'in play' - despite it happening almost 50m off the ball.

"There was a little glitch in the rules and we knew that," Hall said

"I shouldn’t have played. If rules are rules, I shouldn’t have played the Grand Final.

"I hit a guy. The rules were “in play, out of play”, he was clearly out of game.

"I got away with one. What can you do?"

Always pays  to have  good lawyers

• Like 1

Ozzydom.   You're from Tassie aren't you?   Hobart's Winter Solstice Nude Swim was at the 'crack' of dawn this morning.

I was there last year and let Mr. Purple out for a frolic in the waves.    BRRRRR

8637572-3x2-940x627.jpg

On 20/06/2017 at 11:01 AM, farmerjo said:

Big grudge match against Alex in this weeks fantasy and all my longer term planning with trades over the byes has left me caught out trying to field a full team.

Pretty sure same happened last year but at least this time i have ladder position to be able to let it settle over a few weeks before the finals.Just goes to show how important it is to find that younger talent with potential to fill the bench.

However not giving the fixture away yet as i know Alex has player concerns of his own.:smile: 

YES Fj the GRUDGE match coming up...2 injuries to key mids and....if Gawn comes into the Dee's team i MUST offload Cam SSSSSSUPER PRONTO...i know exactly what he's like,  iff Watts doesn't make it for selection Cam will get a half forward line position and he's not half the player J Watts is....@ 507,000 he's made mucho $ for me...and i cant afford to take a hit...i do have a couple of cheap mids to compensate if i take the Cam omission but it gives you a leg up[ so to speak...something like my puppy when he goes out for his morning constitution.

• Like 1

Paul MaCarney announces tour dates of AU, the old rockers in WILL and Fj should  consider it a nice time to visit relo's and catch a last glimpse of the once popular Beatle before he passes on to the recording studio in the sky....

Channel 31 is going going going and soon gone....shame about that, some rather good talent came from that very raw and amateurish TV channel...and one show that cracked me up while watching was there version of the football show, chaired my i think Mcadam or something like that an indigenous player who i think played for The Lions, ahhhhh I'm waking up now....might be on the Indigenous TV channel NITV as you see the brain is foggy this morning... well guys go look for it it leaves the footy show for dead...no need for stunts these guys with guests of today and yesterday year are just plan funny and informative after watching this show twice over time as i usually stumble on it as i surf the 300 plus channels on my 65 inch sony which most dont show anything and lets not forget ch 7 9 etc show the same stuff on 3 channels...would have been a riot playing in the same team as this Mcadam or what ever his name is...i still recall him....do yourself a favour and check it out

Found it for you guys...was bothering me ... Marngrook Footy show..Give you dust bowl living guys something to do today......

• Like 1

Looking at the odds this week, one would think it was pretty cut and dried.

I still reckon there are 4 or 5 games where it could go either way.

Will Essendon have too much pace for Sydney?
Will Collingwood keep their season alive by beating the bullies in Port?
Can WB get the season back on track against Norf who apart from last week, have been pretty good.
Can Melbourne live up to the hype and beat WC in Perth?
Can Richmond bounce back against an in form Carlton at the Gee?

Kicks off again tonight gang.

Good luck to all.
Maybe not Alex:tongue:

Awwwww I picked WC @ home honey

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, ozzydom said:

You picked against the Mighty Dees last week Alex,and look what it got you:saai:

So did most everyone else....Dees been excellent 100% in 2 games on the road this year we dont often beat WCE (last time was 2009) in Perth and were won 2 or 3 in a row so there ready for a stumble, Max is back in Watts is out with Jones which means Cam wont be in the ruck and will play across the half forward line, maybe he will swap with Max as he's not played in 10 weeks.... Cam plays one in 5 good games in  offence....Eagles because there at home.

I will now rush over to my fantasy team and omit Cam Pederson and you should too Grant but dont get peed with me if he has a good game this week as it will be his last, i know my team i know Cam Peterson very well...hes worth is only when on the ball...hey he use to be a North player....noticed Fj hasn't said a word about him so that tells you how good he was there....

• Like 2

The GRUDGE match.......ummm Fj has 2 injured in J Kelly and S Wellington with Zac Jones not making the team....so 2 to change and one player short....I've dumped Cam and brought in my personal favourite in Mr Football in Lance good for 99 a week average and wont ever get dropped when your on 10 million a season its a gamble as I've exposed myself to being one player down through that Crow emergency in Greenwood is known for getting the odd high score......N Jones injured made way for C Oliver coming back in also good for 99 a game average and might have made a few bucks on him.....only concern is S Selwood, reports are he is facing a test.

The rest of the gang have done better than us Fj......here we go go go here we go go go..

• Like 1

Yes i might be a bit light on.

Bought in Henderson for Wellingham and Ebert to strengthen midfield with Barrett getting the chop.

Hoping Kelly gets up,Steele back in for Dunstan and young Cox from Dockers gets another gig to replace Jones.

A lot of ifssss.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, joboss said:

OMG!!    joboss leads the fantasy.

Yep,,, I know it's only the first game of the round and I’ve used up my captain,,

But, I’m taking it....

And winning the tipping!!!

How can i catch you in this form.:sad:

• Like 2