Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

1 hour ago, BookmanBkk said:

Was reading today speculation that Essendon would match the Brisbane offer for Joey Daniher to force a trade.

Why would Essendon match an offer to a player who doesnt want to be at the club?

Essendon needs a clear out of those making decisions and Dodoro too

It's all a ploy to get a better return.

If they don't match, they will get pick 20 based on Brisbane's contract offer

which is reported to be $650 000 a year for 5 years.

If they match it, Brisbane will have to do a trade instead of getting him for nothing.

If they add some more coin to the contract, Essendon can end up with pick 7.

Sydney dodged a bullet by not getting him last year for pick 9 and and what would

be pick 3 this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BookmanBkk said:

Shaw is reportedly in hospital with mental health issues, with the rumour being Blakey will take over as head coach.

Shaw would have done okay with a clean slate and younger players coming in he cold mould and work with.....no baggage

Be happy for Sydney to take him back as an assistant coach

I would've thought Shaw will virtually be unemployable in a coaching role.

For next year anyway.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Will27 said:

It's all a ploy to get a better return.

If they don't match, they will get pick 20 based on Brisbane's contract offer

which is reported to be $650 000 a year for 5 years.

If they match it, Brisbane will have to do a trade instead of getting him for nothing.

If they add some more coin to the contract, Essendon can end up with pick 7.

Sydney dodged a bullet by not getting him last year for pick 9 and and what would

be pick 3 this year.

Essendon really Farke*d up on that trade last year. 

In reality Daniher is only worth around pick 20 or a late 1st rounder given his injury cloud.

SYdney kept Papley, who has now committed to going through next year, and we have a our early draft pick

If Essendon match  and can't do a trade, and Dodoro has history in asking for unreasonable overs, then Essendon is stuck with a player who doesnt want to be there

21 minutes ago, Will27 said:

I would've thought Shaw will virtually be unemployable in a coaching role.

For next year anyway.

Probably recover quickly from whatever stresses he has going on. He has proven form in bringing through the NEAFL sqaud players and he might be best sticking to those type of roles

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BookmanBkk said:

Shaw is reportedly in hospital with mental health issues, with the rumour being Blakey will take over as head coach.

Shaw would have done okay with a clean slate and younger players coming in he cold mould and work with.....no baggage

Be happy for Sydney to take him back as an assistant coach

All the hype from the previous year about getting along with the players may well have gone south with his game plan this year.

The guys that backed him in went quiet this year in Archer and King.

I think Will is right,if you've got problems,you've got problems.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, BookmanBkk said:

Would have been happy to have Joey at Sydney, but i still hope we are going to snag Jeremy Cameron

Joey D wants a chance at success and a premiership medal and Brisbane fits that bill at the moment.

Traffic is a nightmare but much more affordable than Sydney

Daniher.PNG

Geelong are after Cameron

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

All the hype from the previous year about getting along with the players may well have gone south with his game plan this year.

The guys that backed him in went quiet this year in Archer and King.

I think Will is right,if you've got problems,you've got problems.

Yeah maybe

Might just be he didn't have the adequate coaching support around him this year with staffing cuts, or he isn't up to the BIG JOB.  

based on past performance at lower levels and younger  newbies i reckon he has something to give.

Plenty of guys have mental issues through their career and they deal with it. Bit like a troublesome knee injury

4 minutes ago, BookmanBkk said:

Cameron is a long shot for Sydney but i live in hope

You could always try developing your own key forward.  No we won't give you Max King.  He grew up as a Saints supporter.  Joey to Brisbane and brother King to Saints.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BookmanBkk said:

Yeah maybe

Might just be he didn't have the adequate coaching support around him this year with staffing cuts, or he isn't up to the BIG JOB.  

based on past performance at lower levels and younger  newbies i reckon he has something to give.

Plenty of guys have mental issues through their career and they deal with it. Bit like a troublesome knee injury

TBF to Shaw, he hasn't had a good run at it in his first full year.

Covid has stuffed up training and it's hard to implement a new match plan.

Been a real challenging year for even the most experienced coaches.

Like you said, he didn't have a good support staff either.

In hindsight, the stress on Shaw was visible in his last couple of press conferences,

where he just looked shattered.

1 hour ago, Thechook said:

You could always try developing your own key forward.  No we won't give you Max King.  He grew up as a Saints supporter.  Joey to Brisbane and brother King to Saints.

Come on Chooks,

Our system of poaching has worked well, so well in fact that St Kilda copied us and poached Tim Membrey, Dan Hanebery and Zac Jones from us ????

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Will27 said:

TBF to Shaw, he hasn't had a good run at it in his first full year.

Covid has stuffed up training and it's hard to implement a new match plan.

Been a real challenging year for even the most experienced coaches.

Like you said, he didn't have a good support staff either.

In hindsight, the stress on Shaw was visible in his last couple of press conferences,

where he just looked shattered.

Only speculating but i wonder if there was a fallout over some of the delisted players and having Brown and Higgins on the trade table.

I'm actually pretty happy he may not be there,saw some pretty ordinary coaching this year from him.

Think the take over year was a flash in the pan.

Tigers and Pies for me this week.

Edited by farmerjo

1 hour ago, farmerjo said:

Only speculating but i wonder if there was a fallout over some of the delisted players and having Brown and Higgins on the trade table.

I'm actually pretty happy he may not be there,saw some pretty ordinary coaching this year from him.

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

Mark Williams was on.

They also had two ladies on who were at the G barracking for Melbourne in that Buckenara after the siren goal game.

Nice.

I like Chocco.

Sam Pang is my fave on the show.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ripstanley said:

Richmond and Collingwood for me. Rumor is that there is trouble in the Cats hub.

Gary Rohan and Tom Hawkins barney?  or something else?

I'm picking collingwood over Geelong only cos i reckon Collingwood will outrun Geelong and their dad's army

Back to 20 minutes quarters and Geelong miss the 8

• Like 2

On 10/8/2020 at 9:08 AM, BookmanBkk said:

Was reading today speculation that Essendon would match the Brisbane offer for Joey Daniher to force a trade.

Why would Essendon match an offer to a player who doesnt want to be at the club?

Essendon needs a clear out of those making decisions and Dodoro too

To get a first round draft pick kid is why...and i would do it too unless the Bombers have had a quite word with the AFL over it, after 5 years of injuries he might only be worth a 2cd or 3rd round pick at best at the moment.........mind you Swans would have given up 2 high draft picks for him last year.....poker game....call the bluff if your not sure...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, farmerjo said:

Well it does happen doesnt it, Goodwin flies after Roos retires only to stutter a few years later, Look if i was Shaw and they cut the guts out of the team and im not wanting it id toss it in, any fool would see what your coaching record is going to look like in 2 or 3 ys time as there about to sack you....

Anyway Fj you shouldnt be so hard on Shaw like you have assitants too who all got the bullet so that says something, they call the shots during a game too, anway where is this news he is in hospital...nothing in any of the Melbourne press...

To me this sounds like a board power play in motion, very very much simlar to the early 000 over the road at the G, a very powerful GM shooting everyone down around him to make himself unsackable calling the shots and coach under him, then with a weak board pretty much does as he pleases with cutting the guts out of the team....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AlexRRR said:

To get a first round draft pick kid is why...and i would do it too unless the Bombers have had a quite word with the AFL over it, after 5 years of injuries he might only be worth a 2cd or 3rd round pick at best at the moment.........mind you Swans would have given up 2 high draft picks for him last year.....poker game....call the bluff if your not sure...

We don't know what the Swans were really prepared to give up.. not what Essendon were asking anyway

2 hours ago, BookmanBkk said:

We don't know what the Swans were really prepared to give up.. not what Essendon were asking anyway

Several media reports said they offered pick 9 from last year and this year's first which will be 7.

Dodged a bullet.

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

Never mind Chooks.

You were always up against it with 3 out.

The bad kicking didn't help either.

I hope Port smash Richmond next week.

Is There a more unlikable team than Richmond?

Lynch is a germ.

Why do you give Lynch a compliment. He is a total .... ...

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Will27 said:

Several media reports said they offered pick 9 from last year and this year's first which will be 7.

Dodged a bullet.

It wouldn't have been a very good deal for us. I'm not sure what Carlton were willing to give for Papley, but i'd assume a first rounder at least which in theory would have given one first round back.

17 hours ago, AlexRRR said:

Yeeh, but forcing a trade will only work if the opposite party is willing to meet the demand. Brisbane could equally say "forget it" and Essendon is left in a 5 year contract with a player who doesn't want to be there. 
Clubs don't generally match the contract offers because there is heavy risk involved