Advice on grilling BBQ in LoS

Pattayabeerbacon

I am in charge of the BBQ today at my thai hosts house.

I told him i know how to BBQ but  i lied 

Anyone know any simple cheap thai BBQ ideas, recipes we are gonna goto big c in a while.

PS i think he has an oldscholl clay grill BTW not an american BBQ BTW.

Any advice helpful including marinade recipe.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Crossy said:

What meat do you intend doing?

Pork and chicken are cheap and easy, even just salt and pepper works fine.

Being a lazy sod I get a big bag of chicken drumsticks from Makro and marinate them in teriyaki sauce (comes in a bottle), the Thais hoover them up like there's no tomorrow.

A bag of decent sausages also works well.

If you have / can find skewers kebabs made up with pork, small tomatoes, onion and maybe pineapple usually go down well.

Steak is different and we don't eat beef so there's not much advice I can give there.

Don't forget salad and bread rolls!

My main advice is don't let the fire get too fierce or you end up with burnt outsides and raw insides.

In my experience the Thai ladies will gently usher you away from any cooking appliances anyway, I don't resist ????

Thanks for quick response, Im not entirely sure of the meat selection , but sausages would be a good idea as alot quite a few europeans attending.

As for cooking on a clay thai style grill i need a few pointers .....

Would you say just let it cook slow on nearly no flame turning occasionally?

13 minutes ago, Pattayabeerbacon said:

Thanks for quick response, Im not entirely sure of the meat selection , but sausages would be a good idea as alot quite a few europeans attending.

As for cooking on a clay thai style grill i need a few pointers .....

Would you say just let it cook slow on nearly no flame turning occasionally?

Expect that, depending on location, it's not that easy to buy good sausages, nor in quantity. Some (many) of the local brands have a strong chemical taste even after cooking, chicken and pork as suggested is the way to go.

If you can go to Macro and buy chicken thighs, legs even full meat. Buy big chunks of pork from the Macro bins, take it home an cut into more manageable sizes, not too thick, then bbQ, then slice it into long strips, each strip about 1 cm to 1.5 cm wide. That's the Thai way and tastes great for all and so easy. Yes don't let the fire get too hot, keep it more like quite hot coals. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Expect that, depending on location, it's not that easy to buy good sausages, nor in quantity. Some (many) of the local brands have a strong chemical taste even after cooking, chicken and pork as suggested is the way to go.

If you can go to Macro and buy chicken thighs, legs even full meat. Buy big chunks of pork from the Macro bins, take it home an cut into more manageable sizes, not too thick, then bbQ, then slice it into long strips, each strip about 1 cm to 1.5 cm wide. That's the Thai way and tastes great for all and so easy. Yes don't let the fire get too hot, keep it more like quite hot coals. 

Plenty or good quality sausages about, unless you are living in the middle of nowhere.  

We usually make our own now just because it's much cheaper to do so, and we can make them to our exact tastes and with less fat.   (some of the imported or better quality sausages in the shops are way overpriced).   

Make a few batches and they can be frozen too.  They are really easy to make, and you don't need to buy an expensive big fancy machine either, the cheap plastic ones do a great job for just family sized quantities.  

1 hour ago, Pattayabeerbacon said:

Anyone know any simple cheap thai BBQ ideas, recipes we are gonna goto big c in a while

For on the BBQ:

Kung, very big kungs.  (call them Shrimp or Gambas or...)

For western food eaters;

beef as steaks.  (or pork, big C dont have a lot of beef offering)

chicken in cubes on spies with tomato, onion and pineapple

marinad:

ask the missus make a sauce from makham (tamarind/asam) and some seasoning prepared

On the table:

Steamed fish.

water

beer

ice

strong liquids

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

@Pattayabeerbacon how did it go, what did you eventually decide on?

Was a mess but we suceeded.

We were with a few americans who insisted on buying beef, Little did they know macros beef selection is limited and of poor quality.

Upon opening the beef brisket we realised it was all off so that left us with only hotdogs and chicken drumsticks.

We marinaded the chicken drumsticks with salt and pepper /MSG /BBQ sauce and that turned ot to be the the best food of the night.

The hotdogs were nice too, we bought bread rolls and loads of mozzarella cheese/butter/ ketchup.

Lot of chang and alot of Leo beer  too, cost about 400 baht each for ten of us.

If i had followed thai visa advice i would strictly  stuck to chicken and hotdogs and saved alot of messing around.

• Like 2

On 4/14/2019 at 3:19 PM, 55Jay said:

Dude, why would you float an 11th hour lie like that?  ????  

Here's a useful recipe.

How to Cook and Eat Crow

image.png.1a03c72ab797d4b7a935900d81ad8dbf.png

Brought back memories of going out to a Chinese restaurant with chinese co-workers (Chinese food in Chicago pales to Toronto).  I was there with 2 people and one was trying to order pigeon (which I have no problems with - not like it is a dog ???? ).  After repeated attempts they admitted they had pigeon for order but would not serve it to the table because of me (being non-chinese).  Finally had to give up on that order ... probably were not "farmed pigeons" ????

On 4/14/2019 at 10:41 AM, Crossy said:

In my experience the Thai ladies will gently usher you away from any cooking appliances anyway, I don't resist ????

Spot on. It's not our job to cook.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, DepDavid said:

Beef in Thailand is a joke. I leave it for my occasional trip back to America. Shrimp, pork, and chicken on the grill is the way to go, cook low and slow!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Unless your paying western prices beef in LoS is gross and chewy.

Chicken breast in macro was 53 baht a kilo for example, next time im gonna do chicken tacos, bulk frozen mozzarella / bulk chicken breast and tortilla on the BBQ is a cheap high quality food for all.

Kasetsart University Beef (KU Symbol) is pretty decent Thai Beef.

Also from the Thai French Butchers - Thai French Beef is also good.

Actually, both are great value for money. 

A 1.5 Kg 2.5” thick Rib-eye costs about 1000 baht. 

Season it over night with Salt and Pepper - wrap in foil, leave in fridge over night. 

Take out of Fridge in the morning, allow to reach room temperature (25 deg C ish)

Oven cook at 90 deg C for 1.5 hours (in its foil)

BBQ for 10mins on each side (in the foil). Then BBQ for 5mins on each side under very high heat out of the foil. 

Sit for 20mins before slicing into 1cm strips to serve.

Praws are always a Winnner... (the Thai Wives usually take care of those !) - but basically grill them and eat with a seafood sauce. 

Chicken - Marinade then grill on BBQ, simple stuff. 

Fish - Steam in a foil bag for 15mins (with white wine). Season the fish with Salt on the outside and lime & lemon grass on the inside)

Of course, everyone will have different ideas... Especially with the Beef which is bound to bring out a few ‘I do it best’ egos.

BBQ’s... fantastic even when you’re mate gets pished up and burns everything !!!!!!

43 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Kasetsart University Beef (KU Symbol) is pretty decent Thai Beef.

Also from the Thai French Butchers - Thai French Beef is also good.

Actually, both are great value for money. 

A 1.5 Kg 2.5” thick Rib-eye costs about 1000 baht. 

Season it over night with Salt and Pepper - wrap in foil, leave in fridge over night. 

Take out of Fridge in the morning, allow to reach room temperature (25 deg C ish)

Oven cook at 90 deg C for 1.5 hours (in its foil)

BBQ for 10mins on each side (in the foil). Then BBQ for 5mins on each side under very high heat out of the foil. 

Sit for 20mins before slicing into 1cm strips to serve.

Praws are always a Winnner... (the Thai Wives usually take care of those !) - but basically grill them and eat with a seafood sauce. 

Chicken - Marinade then grill on BBQ, simple stuff. 

Fish - Steam in a foil bag for 15mins (with white wine). Season the fish with Salt on the outside and lime & lemon grass on the inside)

Of course, everyone will have different ideas... Especially with the Beef which is bound to bring out a few ‘I do it best’ egos.

BBQ’s... fantastic even when you’re mate gets pished up and burns everything !!!!!!

Stop please. I'm dribbling.

The results with beef depend on the quality. I was taught to sear both sides, then flip once more to watch the juices form. Then rest for 5-10 minutes.

16 hours ago, DepDavid said:

Beef in Thailand is a joke. I leave it for my occasional trip back to America. Shrimp, pork, and chicken on the grill is the way to go, cook low and slow!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I get some good meat from KU.  850b/KG for 5 star rib eye.  You have to buy a whole piece for that price, 4-5KG.  But they will slice it how thick you want and vacuum seal it for free.  No photo description available.

• Thanks 1

Stop please. I'm dribbling.
The results with beef depend on the quality. I was taught to sear both sides, then flip once more to watch the juices form. Then rest for 5-10 minutes.

I was taught the same (sear both sides etc) but if you watch the top chefs on TV nowadays, they don’t do this anymore. They keep flipping the beef every minute or so in order to ensure even cooking. I haven’t had the guts to try it that way yet lol.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Just now, Gweiloman said:

I was taught the same (sear both sides etc) but if you watch the top chefs on TV nowadays, they don’t do this anymore. They keep flipping the beef every minute or so in order to ensure even cooking. I haven’t had the guts to try it that way yet lol.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I've tried it that way too. However, the meat is drier when I do it that way - not juicy.

When I do a BBQ I usually don't want to stand near the fire.

Get a BBQ with cover lid..

Then:

Buy a whole Lamb Leg 1500gr minimum.

Oil it proper and then put Salt, Pepper, Rosemary and a bit of Marjoram on it. 

Wrap it in a triple layer of Aluminium Foil and roll this pack on the top together so the juice cannot run out.

Do not punch holes in and have patience, keep the Lid closed and sit down, have a beer with the lads.

Cook it slowly (it should not bubble hard in the package but feel hot if touched) adding from time to time some small pieces charcoal to keep the (medium) heat.

When you open it after 4 - 5 hrs (depend on size of the Leg) make sure that the juice doesn't get lost.

The meat falls off the bone and the juice I guarantee you want to slurp like a soup,

make in Foil baked Potatoes (just throw them the last hr with on the BBQ) to it or just dump baguette or Toast in the juice.. 

You will experience a complete different Lamb taste than the usual roast. 

I had a 1900 grs leg for 7 People and thought that I will have the next day some nice cold meat.. 

The dog were fighting over the clean bone about an hour after serving... 

BUT, the Sunday is over, hence I was too late, but you can still try it the next time..

• Like 1