Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

I read a small book called walking withJesus. And it says Jesus never lived and all the people in the bible never lived. It is all invented and the bible was written by wise men who wrote allegories to help people live a happy and fulfilled life. You just have to understand how to interpret. Sounds more likely than believing the bible telling history.

And the bible was abused by the churches to control people with fear

Edited by sweatalot
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

I read a small book called walking withJesus. And it says Jesus never lived and all the people in the bible never lived. It is all invented and the bible was written by wise men who wrote allegories to help people live a happy and fulfilled life. You just have to understand how to interpret. Sounds more likely than believing the bible telling history.

Hmmmm,, Coronation Street....????

4 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Logic has a definition. Look it up. So does nonsense.

Don't shoot the messenger, but yours fits the latter. 

I'm skeptical about the future of our conversation :coffee1:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

Satan is most active in the churches. The only person who walked the earth that was free of sin was Jesus Christ, and He died for our sins.  Those who reject Jesus, will have an eternity to regret it.   ????

Read the book he died in the end, get a grip so you have seen satan and he was very active which church was this and what was he up to .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sweatalot said:

Read more than a small biased book. Question more. Research. Plenty evidence he existed. Killed by Pilate.

Also  mentioned by Pliny and Tacitus,  2 hi-so Roman politicians .

Pliny writes of the christians ''pig headed obstinacy'' 

Tacitus calls their religion a destructive superstition.  [ not wrong there ]

No evidence he was the son of god, performed miracles , or rose from the dead though.

1709651769_ScreenShot2019-04-16at17_45_21.png.8373c1e2f88cdda74146ac15259f344b.png

Edited by yodsak
mistake

3 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

If you look at most religions they all preach about human kind being good to one another.

However, most have also been corrupted via human kind. The Christian bible is a product of the Catholic Church which included bits it wanted and excluded bits in didn't when assembling it. And as we see throughout history this was a very corrupt organization who were intent on control, amassing wealth and power and covering up some of their more seedy activities. They literally wanted to use "the fear of god" to control people; pushed against education of the masses and social development and resisted change and exposure of their vices. It's no coincidence they flourish in third world countries where the masses are not provided with high education and superstition and obedience is encourage. Hinduism has corrupted its caste system to achieve a similar domination and control. I use these as examples, but they are illustrative.

The Catholic church certainly used "miracles" to explain things they didn't understand and to emphasize the power of the God they sought to use for their own ends. If you do believe in forces of good and evil, it could be argued that some exponents of religion are really forces of evil.

Every human is unique and has their own thoughts, feelings and sub-conscious which affect their world view and opinion. It was socially unacceptable for centuries for upper class people not to be seen to be active in the religions of their countries. Then it became fashionable in Christian countries to deny religion, especially with the rising celebrity class. People wanted to be fashionable as so Christianity has declined. Not so in Islamic, Hindu, Bhuddist or Jewish counties and communities.

People who deny others religious views are pretending to know because things cannot be proven by 'science". But each age thinks its level of science is the ultimate when in fact new more incredible things are always being discovered. Also faith is not something that can tangibly be proven to exist or not, at this moment in time. People who are religious are placing their faith in something. For sure many things can't be explained, fate, karma, call it what you will.

If their is an evil force, the devil, then indeed his greatest trick will be convincing people he doesn't exist.

The reality is, none of us really know for certain, until we die.

All good for me, until the very end, because you sneak in the notion that there IS something to know.  Back up.  Where did the suggestion that there IS something, come from again?

I don't sit around wondering/worrying about it at all.  That's my "reality".

Edited by 55Jay

I think as a number of posters have mentioned, there's a difference between believing that perhaps there's some sort of creative force behind the cosmos and believing in an organized faith, such as Judaism, Christianity or Islam. Those faiths feature a deity that is so insecure it demands to be worshipped, and if you don't, you face some sort of punishment. I find that rather silly. And as one poster here pointed out, if there is indeed some sort of creative force that manufactured the universe, what or who manufactured the creative force. Interesting thread all the same. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

I think as a number of posters have mentioned, there's a difference between believing that perhaps there's some sort of creative force behind the cosmos and believing in an organized faith, such as Judaism, Christianity or Islam. Those faiths feature a deity that is so insecure it demands to be worshipped, and if you don't, you face some sort of punishment. I find that rather silly. And as one poster here pointed out, if there is indeed some sort of creative force that manufactured the universe, what or who manufactured the creative force. Interesting thread all the same. 

I mostly agree with your post, except for the beginning part about believing something that there is no reason to believe. The time to start believing something is when there are good reasons and evidence to do so. Otherwise it's just believing in some wild idea pulled out of one's...ummm...pulled out of thin air. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

We are in the "end times" but not at the end yet.  Perhaps you should read the Bible from start to finish.  It will only take you about 70 hours.  When we die, we will all stand before Jesus.  

According to the Bible, if we deny Him, He will also deny us.  Matthew 7:13,14 "Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it.  Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."

Be careful, with the vagaries of the physical laws of the universe and the incomphrehensibility to our mere minds of all that is, has been and will be, you may very well be standing before the Pearly Gates talking to me then...and I look even fatter in a White Robe.

Yo what happened to Jesus, how come we got this clown?

1 hour ago, Skeptic7 said:

Based on the death toll of your "holey" book...appears Satan was the kinder/gentler one. 

Murders by Satan: 10

Murders by Yaweh: 2,400,000+ minimum ???? OMG! 

:clap2:

Thats only numbered killings in the bible, no mention of the genocide when he flooded the earth + others. 

1609301382_ScreenShot2019-04-16at18_27_24.png.496c746689341d9ae0bd3fe8a758d491.png

Book by Steve Wells.  Drunk with blood.

Edited by yodsak
try again
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

We are in the "end times" but not at the end yet.  Perhaps you should read the Bible from start to finish.  It will only take you about 70 hours.  When we die, we will all stand before Jesus.  

According to the Bible, if we deny Him, He will also deny us.  Matthew 7:13,14 "Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it.  Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."

Have you ever picked up a book, struggle through the first chapter or so and decide it's not very good, for whatever reason?  That was my experience with the bible. 

Bible Gateway Genesis 1 :: NIV. In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

And Jesus, who affirmed the Bible as the Word of God, proved His reliability and deity by His resurrection (a historical fact not easily ignored).

Resurrection was quite common at the time. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, yodsak said:

Thats only numbered killings in the bible, no mention of the genocide when he flooded the earth + others. 

1609301382_ScreenShot2019-04-16at18_27_24.png.496c746689341d9ae0bd3fe8a758d491.png

Book by Steve Wells.  Drunk with blood.

Precisely. Didn't want to overwhelm already fragile minds. Figured the low ball number, just from their book, from their loving god, would already be more than they could handle. (I have that book)

Edited by Skeptic7

5 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

I easily ignore it. ????

He that walketh with wise men shall be wise: but a companion of fools shall be destroyed.

If you hang around with folks who believe in imaginary old white guys in the sky that actually run things you may be in trouble.  

22 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Bible Gateway Genesis 1 :: NIV. In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light.

That always gets me.  So, we're told this all powerful god fellow has been around for eternity, but he's been sitting about in the dark until one day he decides to have a bit of light.  And, where was he living for all that time before he created the heavens anyway?

Then, sometime later, he sacrifices his only son, all the time knowing he's just going to resurrect him a few days later.  Bit of a cop out isn't it?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Very true..which shows just how heavily they are influenced by Christianity without acknowledging it.

NICE try. It's the most popular superstition! Nobody spouting off about Allah or Muhammad or Zeus, et al...otherwise we'd be discrediting them too. :thumbsup:

• Like 1