Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

I still read the posts here and more and more convinced that believing is not for everyone. 

I tried to read the Bible and felt boring and/or not understand it. 

A lot of posts here about believing may be very interesting for some but I don't understand them. 

I am supposed to believe in things I not see or feel, I am not clever enough to understand why I should do this. 

I am perfectly happy without all those things I not understand. 

Maybe I would be more happy (If possible) if I understood. 

So once again, believing is not for everyone. 

21 hours ago, Sunmaster said:

In this sense, I could never be satisfied with 'faith' alone, because in my mind it implies a passive acceptance of somebody else' truth.

To me, personally, faith is knowing that there is a greater being than us, but how that being exists is unknown to me. Could be just a vast cloud of electrons floating around in the universe, or could be in another dimension altogether.

Faith also means that whatever makes "me" "me" will not cease to exist after my body dies, but lives on in some other form.

I don't see how that makes me accept another's truth as it's not even promulgated as what "God" is by the faithful.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, luckyluke said:

I am supposed to believe in things I not see or feel, I am not clever enough to understand why I should do this. 

You are not "supposed" to do anything faith wise. Only religions tell us what to do.

Most never know faith because they are closed inside to it, or don't recognise it when they feel it.

To "know" faith, one must be open to acceptance, and it helps to read some books about it if one doesn't have a guide.

However, the only one that can know if you have faith is yourself. It's not really something that is explainable in words, but if you are open and experience "God", you'll know.

7 hours ago, luckyluke said:

I am perfectly happy without all those things I not understand. 

Maybe I would be more happy (If possible) if I understood. 

Faith doesn't make you happy, rich or wise- only you can do that. Faith doesn't make you do anything different, it doesn't make you feel different, it doesn't make you change your life ( unless you want to ).

Faith for many in the early days of Christianity led to persecution, torture and death. All faith does is allow us to know that there is more to "us" than our present us, and that death is not the end of our existence.

How we live our lives, and whether we are good or bad is entirely up to us.

17 hours ago, Sunmaster said:

Evidence of what?

Everyone will find some sort of evidence in what he believes is the truth.

Spiritual evidence is determined by the individual, not by consensus, IMO.

Eg my "evidence" for the presence of "God" is that IMO only "God" could have given me the ability to see the divine in natural events, such as sun rises, sun sets, waterfalls, clouds etc. A cow can see the same things as I, but ascribes nothing of significance to them. I've never seen cows line up in a field to watch the sun set the way farangs line up on Railay East to see the sun set over the sea. That's because only humans have the god given gift of perceiving beauty in things.

So that's my "evidence", but it's not evidence of anything except co incidence to some.

To any that think science is as developed as it can be, LOL. Science said the earth was flat and the sun revolved around the earth. Science is evolving, and one day it might even be able to prove things spiritual, but cosmically speaking, science of today is only just starting to understand things, It's got probably millions of years to go before it understands life, the universe and everything.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Elad said:

Black holes, electrons and many of the known elementary particles were predicted by theoretical physicists years before they were discovered. In the 1960's Peter Higgs theorised a boson that gave all particles their mass, then in 2012 the experimentalist at cern discovered it, and named it the 'Higgs Boson', some refer to it as the 'God particle' but Peter Higgs (an atheist) hated the name.

Some scientific discoveries come as a surprise like 'radio waves', however, when radio waves were discovered the didn't call them radio waves because there weren't any radios back then.  ????

Ok, so what are you trying to say? 
I think my point was very clear in this regard. Black holes and electrons (to name just 2) are not dependent on anyone's imagination or on scientific validation for them to exist. They existed billions of years before humans appeared and will exist billions of years after we disappeared.

How many things has material science not (yet) discovered? LOTS
Does it mean these things don't exist yet? NO

Spirit can be accessed through tools that are not strictly scientific, meditation for example. Science hasn't yet found a way to validate the findings of the yogis, gurus and millions of people on the same path.
Does it mean science is not capable of measuring them? YES
Does it mean those spiritual realities don't exist? NO

Pretty simple, isn't it?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

That's also my opinion. 

I always did and still do good, and not bad (intentionally). 

I feel good with it, which is I think the most important. 

That by doing good other people benefit from it, is a plus value. 

I may have the so called "faith", but I don't know it, neither feel it. 

I never tried to make my life complicated. 

I tried a lot of things, but many things don't suit me;

because I don't like them, because I don't understand them. 

Believing is something I not understand, I tried, I failed, but I don't feel bad with it. 

So I came to the conclusion that believing is not for everyone. 

No problem. You just haven't experienced the divine yet. I was lucky enough to do so, so my opinion on it is different from one that hasn't.

Of course I can't prove it, or explain it in words, so just "faith".

20 hours ago, herwin1234 said:

At best its a fairytale designed to make naieve people be good people and keep them from being bad.

More realisticly its a bunch of nonsense to opres people and make them dumb and submissive and meak.

Just out of curiosity, who on earth is behind this sinister plot who made up "a fairytale designed to make naive people be good and keep them from being bad."  

Do you care what people do or don't do when you die?  Of course not, and neither does anyone else except God.  "John 3:16 (KJV) For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

Reading so many of these idiotic theories about how we got here and where we are going, is like being in the twilight zone, lol.  This is where having common sense is not a gift but a punishment, because you have to deal with those who don't have it.  Common sense is so rare on Thai Visa, it should be classified as a super power.

For those who are non-believers, you have until you take your last breath to figure this out.  After that it is a done deal.  May God have mercy on you.  

• Confused 3

2 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

For those who are non-believers, you have until you take your last breath to figure this out.  After that it is a done deal.  May God have mercy on you.  

How can we respect a religion who spread this false promisses and treaths among people? Invade other countries in name of god. Robbing cultures for their traditions and resources, all in the name of god!

When are you guys going to understand your faith is pure politics guiding people to do what they want, not what you need! I have to say it is a perfect scam system, making you believe what they predict and promiss, and all this in fear of what can happen in life and afterlife. 

Wake up, have faith in mother earth she will provide you with a good life if you do her good, but no promisses, because nature is nature no matter how good you are or hard you try. She will knock you down whenever nature damanding it, but if you are lucky, you will rise again. 

Edited by Tagged

39 minutes ago, Tagged said:

How can we respect a religion who spread this false promisses and treaths among people? Invade other countries in name of god. Robbing cultures for their traditions and resources, all in the name of god!

... and am I less holy, 'Cause I chose to puff a blunt & drink a beer with my homies

Ghetto Gospel... 

I wonder if heaven got a ghetto... 

I ain't trying to preach, I believe I can reach but your mind ain't prepared, I'll see you when you get there... ... ... 

Edited by Mike Teavee

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

No problem. You just haven't experienced the divine yet. I was lucky enough to do so, so my opinion on it is different from one that hasn't.

Of course I can't prove it, or explain it in words, so just "faith".

It is not my intention to mock you, but I know and read that many people experienced different things,

as seeing UFO's, for example. 

For me it is all the same, for you I suppose you will claim it is different, that yours are true. 

I am pretty sure for the one who experienced an U.F.O. he is convinced also his experience is a true one. 

I have no problems with people who say they have experienced "special" things. 

I may have when they try to convince me that I must believe it also. 

Maybe one day I will experienced the "divine", 

or/and see a U.F.O. too. 

1 hour ago, Tagged said:

Robbing cultures for their traditions and resources, all in the name of god!

Any ideology can be a convenient excuse for crimes.. committing crimes in the name of greed would be more honest, but there are no honest crimes.

1 hour ago, Tagged said:

I have to say it is a perfect scam system, making you believe what they predict and promiss, and all this in fear of what can happen in life and afterlife. 

Obviously people who really believe in afterlife are careful not to do wrong.

1 hour ago, Tagged said:

Wake up, have faith in mother earth she will provide you with a good life if you do her good, but no promisses, because nature is nature no matter how good you are or hard you try. She will knock you down whenever nature damanding it, but if you are lucky, you will rise again. 

Have you ever been into an earthquake ? Or a hurricane ? You should know by now that nature's fury can be ruthlessly devastating, and destroy the good and the bad altogether...

..Well, at least i have an afterlife.

One cannot go away for one day that you people start to spout nonsense again ????

11 minutes ago, yodsak said:

813189574_ScreenShot2019-12-20at14_16_47.png.fa213ac2847b949f415b0b680f715842.png

1) Core beliefs are at the heart of every belief, religious or not. Have you tried to rationalize with a Trump supporter. Whatever evidence you will offer him, he will not change his mind, because a belief is not based only on rational thought, but is also emotionally charged. Or look how belligerent some atheist get here when presented with alternatives that don't fit their BS. You challenge anyone's core belief and you'll get trouble. Some will even threaten you with eternal damnation...

2) Yes, the bible was not written by God personally, we get it. Parts of it can however have been inspired by God. It's called automatic writing and there's nothing occult or mysterious about it. The famous books "Conversations with God" by Neal Donald Walsh were written like this.

3) Breaking any kind of delusion should always be encouraged.

Edited by Sunmaster

1 hour ago, Tagged said:

When are you guys going to understand your faith is pure politics guiding people to do what they want, not what you need! I have to say it is a perfect scam system, making you believe what they predict and promiss, and all this in fear of what can happen in life and afterlife. 

What, "Mother Earth," Lol.  I think I may have blown that one.  I pooped in the woods a few times before knowing Mother Earth was in charge of my destiny.  Thanks for the heads up.  

Mother Earth you say, interesting.  So Mother Earth created the Universe, Earth (herself), all plant life, sea life, animals, and us.  Please return to my post and re-read the part about common sense.  You may want to give that one a little thought.  

11 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

What, "Mother Earth," Lol.  I think I may have blown that one.  I pooped in the woods a few times before knowing Mother Earth was in charge of my destiny.  Thanks for the heads up.  

Mother Earth you say, interesting.  So Mother Earth created the Universe, Earth (herself), all plant life, sea life, animals, and us.  Please return to my post and re-read the part about common sense.  You may want to give that one a little thought.  

Mother earth created you! Universe we do not know anything about who created or why it is, but people are still making up stories and think they believe the truth. 

25 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Obviously people who really believe in afterlife are careful not to do wrong.

Definision on doing bad and good, is a very delicate question when it comes to religion! It is a dead end when people suffering because of stupid laws and rules there is no reasons for, and also goes agains our nature. Humanity is not part of religion, when it comes to surten part of being a good believer, and thats where most people fail. 

You really do not dear to call out believers who talk nonsens do you? Just pet each others back, and most others keep quiet in respect of free speach and free religion belief <deleted>! Religion have to be called out when wrong have been done, and being done on daily basis. 

If we did put half of the energy in to mother earth instead of imaginery gods, mother earth would have been in a much better state than today. 

Just think about it, we exploit our earth with our lifestyle that we need 1,5 earths to keep it status Q. 

However if we all lived like  American or Saudi we would have needed 4 or 7 planet earth to provide everything we needed. 

You guys keep on being busy on the wrong path, while in the meantime all others have to try to be a bit more realistic living right here right now. 

4 minutes ago, Tagged said:

You guys keep on being busy on the wrong path, while in the meantime all others have to try to be a bit more realistic living right here right now. 

Ok, i am so glad that you know the right path.

I expect soon the whole world to give up religion (it's good if the people start to think independently) , yet it doesn't mean that the world will be perfect.

In my opinion, people need to believe in something, once God is out of the question, we will see how advanced we have become.

6 minutes ago, Tagged said:

What makes you think that a spiritual person can't love and take care of Mother Earth? Or do you think we're too busy sitting on our backsides meditating or on our knees praying? ???? 

I would even go as far as saying that those who treat our planet as if there's no tomorrow, are those who feel no connection to anything outside themselves and their closest circle, materialists. A spiritual person will be aware that nothing is separate and that we're all connected to each other and to Mother Earth especially/

Edited by Sunmaster
  • Like 1

Just now, mauGR1 said:

Ok, i am so glad that you know the right path.

I expect soon the whole world to give up religion (it's good if the people start to think independently) , yet it doesn't mean that the world will be perfect.

In my opinion, people need to believe in something, once God is out of the question, we will see how advanced we have become.

I do not have high hopes about that either, because if only reason people have is fairytales to keep them going on the right path, there is no hope at all. 

However, you just only need to look at social media, and what is spewed out there of pure confusion of who is right and wrong, you know the humainties status on mental health and moral. 

We have all the knownledge we need to be good humans, and  many of the great philosophers from long time before Jesus have pawned a healthy path on good reasons and deeds, but how much do we appriciate thos, and teach and learn from them? The whole education system and governments is based on religous values. 

Religion was important to create bounds between lords, kings, and nations in a different time, and it might have been a very important for our wealth today as we see. But now in these times? 

We need a new path clearing all the mistakes have been done. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

What makes you think that a spiritual person can't love and take care of Mother Earth? Or do you think we're too busy sitting on our backsides meditating or on our knees praying? ???? 

I would even go as far as saying that those who treat our planet as if there's no tomorrow, are those who feel no connection to anything outside themselves and their closest circle, materialists. A spiritual person will be aware that nothing is separate and that we're all connected to each other and to Mother Earth especially/

How do you Know only a spiritual person or a religious person feel connection to something? 

4 minutes ago, Tagged said:

Religion was important to create bounds between lords, kings, and nations in a different time, and it might have been a very important for our wealth today as we see. But now in these times? 

We need a new path clearing all the mistakes have been done.

We almost completely agree now, but you should explain me how "believe in nothing" can make things better.

On the contrary, i think that any materialist is in for a world of delusion.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Tagged said:

How do you Know only a spiritual person or a religious person feel connection to something? 

Everybody can feel a connection. The question is what do we feel connected to?!
We can go back to the core beliefs of a person. If your core belief is that Mother Earth is the giver of all life, then you'll respect her and do everything in your power to protect her. Just like you would with your own mother. 
The fact that you actually call her "Mother", shows that you have a strong connection and can relate to something bigger than yourself. Maybe you're more spiritual than you want to admit. ????

I didn't say that ONLY spiritual (I didn't mention 'religious') people can feel that kind of connection, but I think they are much less likely to act against nature and Mother Earth, simply because it's anchored in their core beliefs: "We are part of something bigger, we are all connected".

• Like 2