Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

3 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, i was in Kashmir in 1980, no internet at that time, and a Brahmin (Hindu priest) told me about the (supposed) tomb of Jesus in some place nearby. Some say it could be the tomb of Mary, probably we will never know exactly.

He was adamant that since thousand of years, Christians were doing pilgrimage there, so there must be something true about the story.

You are free to compare Jesus to Santa Claus, but i think you are completely wrong.

Something to maybe it was JC...maybe it was Mary...maybe it was, maybe it wasn't? Maybe that maybe, maybe this maybe not. 555 MAYBE! 

I guess some people believe Jesus survived and fled to Kashmir. 

I've been to the supposed birthplace of JC in Bethlehem (Church of the Nativity) and the supposed tomb in Jerusalem (Church of the Holy Selpulchre). Very cool to be in such historical places, but unconvincing otherwise. Surely this place in Kashmir is even less so. 

Something to gullible, superstitious hearsay??? Why must there be something true about it? 

Is there something to it? Yes...gullible, superstitious people doing gullible, superstitious things. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Something to maybe it was JC...maybe it was Mary...maybe it was, maybe it wasn't? Maybe that maybe, maybe this maybe not. 555 MAYBE! 

I guess some people believe Jesus survived and fled to Kashmir. 

I've been to the supposed birthplace of JC in Bethlehem (Church of the Nativity) and the supposed tomb in Jerusalem (Church of the Holy Selpulchre). Very cool to be in such historical places, but unconvincing otherwise. Surely this place in Kashmir is even less so. 

Something to gullible, superstitious hearsay??? Why must there be something true about it? 

Is there something to it? Yes...gullible, superstitious people doing gullible, superstitious things. 

A liar believes all people are lying, enough said :whistling:

1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

A liar believes all people are lying, enough said :whistling:

Ooooh...wow is that your ???????? backhanded way of insulting me? About what is it that you suspect me of lying? 

I don't disbelieve all people...not even close. Only those unreasonable and illogical. Only those whom accept things without reason or evidence...and then spout off about them as fact.

Certainly no shortage of those on this thread! ???? ???? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Jesus is arguably the most influential person in history. We have more evidence of his existence than we do for Plato.

That's debatable but who cares? We have more evidence for Pluto the Disney Dog than Plato too. 

Plutodog.gif.635234fb624f7ff9d17475c7c3447c1f.gif

However, Plato...nor Pluto...claimed to be the Son of God. Neither claimed to be Divine, nor performed miracles. Neither supposedly rose from the dead zombie-like. And most importantly...neither threatened and frightened billions with eternal torture...burning. 

Plato offered all his wisdom without demands, threats and conditions. See the wee little difference? 

24 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Ooooh...wow is that your ???????? backhanded way of insulting me? About what is it that you suspect me of lying? 

I don't disbelieve all people...not even close. Only those unreasonable and illogical. Only those whom accept things without reason or evidence...and then spout off about them as fact.

Certainly no shortage of those on this thread! ???????? 

I never thought of insulting you, it's also against forum rules afaik.

I was not even calling you a liar, in fact i find your posts quite true, although not really interesting or original.

If i had even a little hope of a honest answer though, i would ask you how is it possible that you apparently don't doubt anything.

But no need asking you, i know why : Some people know everything, and that's everything they know.:smile:

39 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

That's debatable but who cares? We have more evidence for Pluto the Disney Dog than Plato too. 

Plutodog.gif.635234fb624f7ff9d17475c7c3447c1f.gif

However, Plato...nor Pluto...claimed to be the Son of God. Neither claimed to be Divine, nor performed miracles. Neither supposedly rose from the dead zombie-like. And most importantly...neither threatened and frightened billions with eternal torture...burning. 

Plato offered all his wisdom without demands, threats and conditions. See the wee little difference? 

All I offered was that we have plenty of evidence he existed. You're additional rebuttals are non sequitur.

On 10/15/2019 at 11:47 PM, WhatupThailand said:

The Bible was created by men who were tuned into GOD's Spiritual Frequency, and Transcribed a Record of all time, from beginning to end, to help us understand and Tune into GOD's Channel.

"The Bible was created by men who...Transcribed a Record of all time from beginning to end..."

Really?  A record of all time?  So "time" has ended already, has it, (when was the last addendum to the bible). 

Unless time began a couple of thousand years ago those "tuned-in transcribers" seem to have omitted several billion years of records.

2 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

I never thought of insulting you, it's also against forum rules afaik.

I was not even calling you a liar, in fact i find your posts quite true, although not really interesting or original.

If i had even a little hope of a honest answer though, i would ask you how is it possible that you apparently don't doubt anything.

But no need asking you, i know why : Some people know everything, and that's everything they know.:smile:

Your post and your query make no sense and are totally contradictory. In 1 sentence you say you were not calling me a liar and find my posts true. In the very next sentence...you intimate that an honest answer from me is not within the realm of hope. Huh?

Then you would ask how I of all people don't doubt anything?!? I DOUBT (almost) EVERYTHING...until I've checked and fact checked and verified and find some consensus for accuracy and truth. 

So once again I will implore...what is it that you find that I've been dishonest or a liar about? Clearly you are stating such and have insinuated it incessantly throughout this thread (though you've retracted at least twice)...so I would like to know so I can clarify. I've stated to YOU before that I can be described as many things, but dishonest is NOT one of them. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Sorry mate, i am really bored with your trolling, i didn't even read your post, i am out of here.

Nothing personal, i am just boooored.

Buh-Bye now TROLL! ???? 

(u read it and it and had no way of justifying it, so u bail) bye-eee! :clap2:

Edited by Skeptic7

22 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Lol, later i will search the fig tree bit, it is in some very dark and dusty corner of my memory.

As he was using parables to describe spiritual realities ( i know that you don't believe they exist, so pls spare me the insults), those parables need to be understood and meditated, and not criticised at face value.

Some of those parables took me decades to understand.

I definitely think that Jesus existed, but i can concede that details of his life could be exaggerated, distorted and possibly totally made up.

Jesus lived, as recorded by historians, though there is debate as to more than that he was a preacher or a prophet.

Even the Muslims regard him as a real person.

45 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Jesus lived, as recorded by historians, though there is debate as to more than that he was a preacher or a prophet.

Even the Muslims regard him as a real person.

There is no doubt there have been a Jesus, or more during the time, inspired by each other, as old philosphers who made big thoughts, and changed peoples life.

Buth the great philosphers have each and one trademarks and proofs of their individuality and existence. Jesus or Jesuses is more a myth combined with his divinity. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tagged said:
1 hour ago, Tagged said:

There is no doubt there have been a Jesus, or more during the time,

Not sure.

But there is no proof

- he was the son of God

- he was born in Bethlehem

- his mother was a virgin

- the Sonf of God has been crucified

- he rose from the dead

may be the authors of the bible used some real person for their  invented Jesus and the invented  stories about him

Edited by sweatalot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

Not sure.

But there is no proof

- he was the son of God

- he rose from the dead

may be the authors of the bible used some real person for their  invented Jesus and the invented  stories about him

You are shifting the goal posts a bit. From not existing to not being God.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sweatalot said:

Not sure.

But there is no proof

- he was the son of God

- he rose from the dead

Im sure he was or they was ordinary humans with no extraordinary god given gifts, except extraordinary as an speacher and leader!

4 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

You are shifting the goal posts a bit. From not existing to not being God.

come on. The Jesus - son of God  whom the churches talk about did NOT exist. MAY BE one or more normal man did exist - whose lifetime was used to build the story around that is now the teaching of the christians.

Edited by sweatalot
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

come on. The Jesus - son of God  whom the churches talk about did NOT exist. MAY BE one or more normal man did exist - whose lifetime was used to build the story around that is now the teaching of the christians.

The man existed, he was a Jew and a preacher. The establishment hated him because he preached what they thought threatened their religion and power. They got the Romans to kill him. That's probably proven somewhere.

The message he taught was what lived on after he was killed, and it was subverted by other men to become the means by which THEY could get power and wealth. St Peter's in Rome is evidence of how well they did. I doubt there is much living in accordance with the Christ's teachings in the Vatican though.

The message is still relevant- love thine enemy, turn the other cheek etc.

Believe or not, that's your choice, but if you don't, don't expect heaven. Have to be in the club to go there.