Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

On 10/1/2022 at 4:05 PM, Sunmaster said:

Funny. I just met one a few days ago and had a longer conversation with him. He said he was a "Freudian" psychologist and as part of his education, they have to undergo a psychological evaluation themselves....meaning they have to talk to another psychologist about their own issues. Normally this would take about 2 or 4 years. He was still doing it after 20! years...
While he was quite knowledgeable about the subject, he didn't come across as a very balanced individual. When saying goodbye he couldn't even hold eye contact for example, kind of shifty...
I openly asked him what the success rate of his therapy was and if he thought it was an effective way of helping others. Suffice to say, he was not very convincing... ???? 

Psychologists pretend to go down to the roots to solve the problems there. The way I see it, they only start to scratch the top of the roots and are far from understanding the full extension of them. Their approach is more like a "trial and error" and "hoping for the best". There are better models and tools out there that would be of greater help.

Jordon Peterson is world famous. He looks depressed most of the time. I think it attracts depressed people. They are trying to cure themselves.

Why would a happy person do it? Dr Phil looks happy, he went on tv made a millions.

52 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Do you believe in God? 
No. 

Why?

Because fossilised bones categorically confirm that humans evolved.

Therefore to say that some “God” created man is utter nonsense.  

Next…

There are flaws in the theory of evolution, which some people choose to ignore.

There are many reasons why some people choose to be ignorant, but as they say, ignorance is bliss.

The intelligent design which is obvious in any form of life should at least make one think about the origin of life itself, even if some part of the evolution theory might be correct. 

Belief without questioning is un-scientific. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/4/2022 at 11:31 AM, Sparktrader said:

Been disproven , not caused by chemicals. 

Depression is excess negative thought imo.

Link to proof.

I disagree 100% as everything we do/ think is caused by chemicals in the body causing an electrical activity in our neurons which in turn makes us move, digest, grow, think etc.

How do you think our biological transport mechanism works if not by chemicals reacting with neurons?

On 10/4/2022 at 3:46 PM, Nemises said:

Do you believe in God? 
No. 

Why?

Because fossilised bones categorically confirm that humans evolved.

Therefore to say that some “God” created man is utter nonsense.  

Next…

How about God created the universe which in turn created man through evolution?

• Haha 1

On 10/4/2022 at 11:39 AM, Sparktrader said:

Most are hopeless. I saw one useless. Tried 3 drugs no effect.

Getting busy is the best cure for negative thoughts. Plus have a goal to aim at.

Look at Bruce Lipton on youtube. You really have to reprogram your sc mind.

Also talk to positive people. Negative folks drag you down.

Steve Harvey speaks well too about god. Check him out.

If you wake up in the morning its cause god has a plan for you.

I don't know any positive people. Everyone I know dislikes/ hates what has happened to the country. Can't hate and be positive, unless positively hating.

I find being on the forum a good way to not think too much about my life, which is probably why I spend so much time on it.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Link to proof.

I disagree 100% as everything we do/ think is caused by chemicals in the body causing an electrical activity in our neurons which in turn makes us move, digest, grow, think etc.

How do you think our biological transport mechanism works if not by chemicals reacting with neurons?

Imho, you are both right, just watching the issue from different angles.

I could even offer other angles to examine a tough issue as depression.

Yep, I'm an expert, having dealt with depression since my early years.

I think I'm not alone there, we are all depressed to a certain extent, and anyone has his own antidotes to deal with it.

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't know any positive people. Everyone I know dislikes/ hates what has happened to the country. Can't hate and be positive, unless positively hating.

I find being on the forum a good way to not think too much about my life, which is probably why I spend so much time on it.

Find some. I find Thais more positive.

39 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Link to proof.

https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinical/depression-probably-not-caused-by-chemical-imbalan#:~:text=For three decades%2C people have,evidence does not support it.

1 hour ago, Nemises said:

Maybe. But which “God” are you referring to? There are over 2,500 of them. 

Just like you have different fingers pertaining to the same hand, there are different names for the one "God". Even though some claim that their own fingers is the only one and the only "true finger", they are nothing but their own interpretation of the same thing all others describe.

In the end, all of them are correct to a certain point and none of them have the full picture. 
Let's not forget that the map (the interpretation) is not the actual territory. One thing is looking at Google map of your hometown, another is walking through the actual streets. That's why it's important not to rely on any given map to explain reality, but to walk through and explore the landscape by yourself. Only then will you know the truth.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

That's why it's important not to rely on any given map to explain reality, but to walk through and explore the landscape by yourself. Only then will you know the truth.

Agree, of course, but just for the sake of hair-splitting, a "closer to perfect" truth can be obtained by walking the landscape and looking at the map altogether, and it will be still a subjective truth.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

That's only about seratonin.

There are many more chemicals in our body than seratonin, without which we are not able to function.

I stand by my belief.

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That's only about seratonin.

There are many more chemicals in our body than seratonin, without which we are not able to function.

I stand by my belief.

Emotions, mood, energy, live in the same reality as most, sensitivity All in a great symphony with your chemicals and chemical release in the very moment, as well hormons, but your vulnerability plays a great role to be in chemical and hormonal balance as well. 

Still believe in the impossible by creating your own happiness if you are willing to use your brain, if you can. 

Why ssri works? Placebo or physical, maybe both for awhile, I do not know, I used placebo and I know I had the same result as any ssri based on how dr explanation and experience with me. 

18 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Emotions, mood, energy, live in the same reality as most, sensitivity All in a great symphony with your chemicals and chemical release in the very moment, as well hormons, but your vulnerability plays a great role to be in chemical and hormonal balance as well. 

Still believe in the impossible by creating your own happiness if you are willing to use your brain, if you can. 

Why ssri works? Placebo or physical, maybe both for awhile, I do not know, I used placebo and I know I had the same result as any ssri based on how dr explanation and experience with me. 

Only works if one believes.

I haven't believed in such for over 40 years.

My mother was a great believer in such, and lost her leg because she wouldn't see a Dr when she got diabetes.

Only thing I believe in, other than God, is that I was born and I'll die, and inbetween there will be a lot of stuff- some bad, some good. Best I can do is make the most of the good stuff when it happens.

Can I make stuff happen- nah.

However, as always, up to you.

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Only works if one believes.

I haven't believed in such for over 40 years.

My mother was a great believer in such, and lost her leg because she wouldn't see a Dr when she got diabetes.

Only thing I believe in, other than God, is that I was born and I'll die, and inbetween there will be a lot of stuff- some bad, some good. Best I can do is make the most of the good stuff when it happens.

Can I make stuff happen- nah.

However, as always, up to you.

Well, there is symptoms and illnesses that either need a change in lifestyle and diet, or use medication! Diabetes can be a slow suicide if you do not trust doctors on what to do. 

I do understand medication is necessary for many illnesses and symptoms, be it temporarily or life. No doubt, but I also know the power of our self to make changes, and make it happen. I did many things and still do to keep myself happy and do not fall back in to the dark. 

If there is a god, a good force, consensus will they be able to stop the potential nuclear war? 

If they/them/it/he/she can do, why not do they interfere? 

If you are an believer in an almighty creative god, why do they not interfere and stop this craziness? 

Doesnt this put your faith to an ultimate test? 

Nature do not care, nature goes on whatever happens, and change is not a decision, it is created by randomly happenings changing the environment and it adopts. 

What do you think? 

7 hours ago, Hummin said:

If there is a god, a good force, consensus will they be able to stop the potential nuclear war? 

If they/them/it/he/she can do, why not do they interfere? 

If you are an believer in an almighty creative god, why do they not interfere and stop this craziness? 

Doesnt this put your faith to an ultimate test? 

Nature do not care, nature goes on whatever happens, and change is not a decision, it is created by randomly happenings changing the environment and it adopts. 

What do you think? 

If there is a Creative Benevolent Force in the universe, then logic would dictate that war, disease, natural calamities, everything, the "good" and the "bad"...all is created by and is part of this Force. In Hinduism, this Force is divided in 3 aspects of creation (Brahma), preservation (Vishnu) and destruction (Shiva). All aspects are necessary in the functioning of the universe. 

What you propose with divine interference is the suspension of free will. What if the divine force comes and interferes in and solves man's troubles? It would deprive humanity of important life lessons. These life lessons are painful of course, but they are necessary for our evolution. Just like the painful lessons in our personal life make us grow, conflict on the world stage makes us grow as a society.

Think about it this way... Could we, as first world citizens, go to a pre-industrialized society and quickly transform them in post-modern citizens? It wouldn't work. They would have to go through all the stages of development we went through, probably make the same mistakes and learn the same lessons. 

The same way, you should not expect for God or even just a more developed society to intervene in our affairs and magically rid us of all our problems. 

What do you think?

Edited by Sunmaster
  • Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

If there is a Creative Benevolent Force in the universe, then logic would dictate that war, disease, natural calamities, everything, the "good" and the "bad"...all is created by and is part of this Force. In Hinduism, this Force is divided in 3 aspects of creation (Brahma), preservation (Vishnu) and destruction (Shiva). All aspects are necessary in the functioning of the universe. 

What you propose with divine interference is the suspension of free will. What if the divine force comes and interferes in and solves man's troubles? It would deprive humanity of important life lessons. These life lessons are painful of course, but they are necessary for our evolution. Just like the painful lessons in our personal life make us grow, conflict on the world stage makes us grow as a society.

Think about it this way... Could we, as first world citizens, go to a pre-industrialized society and quickly transform them in post-modern citizens? It wouldn't work. They would have to go through all the stages of development we went through, probably make the same mistakes and learn the same lessons. 

The same way, you should not expect for God or even just a more developed society to intervene in our affairs and magically rid us of all our problems. 

What do you think?

I believe we put much in to our presence on this planet in this universe we are living in. We are most likely not important at all, and just another specie in time that finely will disappear and new life forms will dominate for the next chapter in time.

There is no lesson to learn, we just do as we are programmed to do.

To simple? Maybe boring explanation 

Navigation system of brain cells decoded

Hardwiring of the brain is genetically pre-programmed, study shows

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/10/171025105041.htm

Edited by Hummin

8 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

Do you see yourself as a pre-programmed robot?

Maybe not as robot we used to think about, but again, all animals have genetic preprogrammed memery from they are borned because it is critical information we need to survive in the beginning. Instincts and reflexes as well. 

So if that is a robot in flesh and blood, we might be. 

3 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Maybe not as robot we used to think about, but again, all animals have genetic preprogrammed memery from they are borned because it is critical information we need to survive in the beginning. Instincts and reflexes as well. 

So if that is a robot in flesh and blood, we might be. 

Personally, I think it's terribly reductionistic to think of yourself as a slave of your instincts and genes. We are not like other animals. We don't just have awareness but consciousness too. 
Yes, instincts and genes do affect us, often in ways we are not aware of, but I think we also have the ability to raise above these biological programs, by way of expanding our consciousness.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

Personally, I think it's terribly reductionistic to think of yourself as a slave of your instincts and genes. We are not like other animals. We don't just have awareness but consciousness too. 
Yes, instincts and genes do affect us, often in ways we are not aware of, but I think we also have the ability to raise above these biological programs, by way of expanding our consciousness.

That I really do not know, I it can be true, as much it can be wishful thinking. Im not ready to separate us from the animals yet, even we from our point of view seems superior, but that could be because we just do not know better. Other animals also live complexed lifes and communicate with each other, even they do not write poems as far we know. Well at least we know they do not write them literally ????????

Hover as said, many specious live complex lives and know to build complex structures, as well perform complex mating rituals. 

5 hours ago, Sunmaster said:

What do you think?

Agree 100%. You got there first as I was going to post the same thing.