Thailand sees dip in hotel prices

webfact

Thailand sees dip in hotel prices

By The Nation 

hotel-pricing-pool.jpg

File photo

The latest Hotel Price Index (HPI) from Hotels.com revealed no sign of a slowdown for the global travel industry. The price travellers paid for overnight accommodation rose 3 per cent globally in 2018 across every regional index, except for the Pacific including Thailand. 

On the other hand, Thai travellers paid an average price of Bt1,720 a night for their domestic accommodation in 2018, a 7-per-cent decrease compared with 2017, and paid the same average price of Bt4,437 a night for international accommodation in both 2018 and 2017.

The growth in travel comes despite global uncertainties including Brexit, California wildfires, South African drought and Japanese earthquakes. Travellers also showed resilience and renewed confidence in destinations touched by unrest: Paris, Egypt, Turkey; regions experiencing currency fluctuation: South America; and areas affected by natural disaster: North America. Despite the overall growth in global accommodation prices, average prices paid for domestic accommodation in Thailand have decreased, with average prices for international beds remaining stable.

Adam Jay, president of the Hotels.com brand, said, “‘HPI has always given us a good barometer on the industry and helps give us an insight into global travel trends. This year we have seen growth despite a lot of political challenges and natural disasters, which indicates that the industry shows no signs of slowing down.”

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/Tourism/30367724

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-04-16

14 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The decline of Western tourism in Thailand is going to have a long lasting and profound effect on the Thai economy.

I think you could be right on this. I won't lose sleep because of this though.

Very true. When you have over 10 million Chinese tourists, the vast majority of whom come on three to four day holidays, via a package tour, you can bet the agencies are negotiating a discount of 40-70% off the room rates. Same with the restaurants. The decline of Western tourism in Thailand is going to have a long lasting and profound effect on the Thai economy. The TAT and it's entire approach is dumb and dumber. 

From my observation- the locally run hotels that cater to the dirt-cheap Chinese package tours do not advertise on on-line hotel agents such as Agoda. -And the midsize hotels that do get a number of Chinese or Indians as guests will make an attempt to place them on certain floors away from Westerners since Westerners complain about the shouting in the hallways. -Just a cultural difference but this separation makes sense. ( I know of three hotel owners that do this in Pattaya)

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Haha 1

Well a hotel I’ve stayed at many times has gone up in price for July when I look on Agoda to book, over £200 for 1 week in standard double room, normally it’s only around £100.  maybe I should wait and in rain season prices will go back down

Got a whole condo 50 square metres 3 rooms plus bathroom in jomtien for 500 baht a day Airbnb ! If I had to stay at a hotel or guest house I wouldn’t have gone there !

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Might be illegal for that price. Did you pay seperate cleaning charge or all inclusive?

Agoda is a Big Joke opps i should say BS

Agoda did not post my negative hotels reviews and prices are not different. I sent pictures to Agoda still no reply. 

Just ask friends for recommendation. 

Yes,  You get what you pay for. BUT reviews should be fair. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IMHO, Thailand has been spoilt - Teflon Thailand. If it ever hits, and I hope it doesn't, it's gonna be massive - this won't be something you can get over with a few sticking plasters. The elite, no doubt, will still frequent the high class resorts, but the bread and butter - the (western) backpackers, sex-tourists, sex-pats, Buddahphiles, petty criminals and Munchausen's, and other associated weirdos will go elsewhere. Thailand's love affair with the West will be over, and it will revert to it's natural position as a conduit between China and India. Good luck with that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nausea said:

IMHO, Thailand has been spoilt - Teflon Thailand. If it ever hits, and I hope it doesn't, it's gonna be massive - this won't be something you can get over with a few sticking plasters. The elite, no doubt, will still frequent the high class resorts, but the bread and butter - the (western) backpackers, sex-tourists, sex-pats, Buddahphiles, petty criminals and Munchausen's, and other associated weirdos will go elsewhere. Thailand's love affair with the West will be over, and it will revert to it's natural position as a conduit between China and India. Good luck with that. 

Military coups, horrid air pollution, dirty beaches, dangerous roads.... what's not to like:)

• Haha 1

Like most topics this one has been used for the usual Thai bash fest.

But the prices decreasing were for only for domestic accommodation. International prices remained stable. So much for the "strong baht" chant and the rest.

average prices paid for domestic accommodation in Thailand have decreased, with average prices for international beds remaining stable.

Besides that, the entire Pacific region didn't participate in the price rise for overnight accommodations:

The price travellers paid for overnight accommodation rose 3 per cent globally in 2018 across every regional index, except for the Pacific including Thailand. 

Whoops. Not just Thailand. Prices for domestic accommodation in other Pacific countries might also have decreased! We dunno. Shee-eit. But let's ignore that spoiler and continue reading from the playbook. ???? 

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, ryane66 said:

Go on Agoda and check prices anywhere in Thailand. Many discounted accommodations. Even over Songkan. Why? Because contrary to TAT, they aren't busy. Very nice resorts for low prices.

Why, you ask, because agoda inflates prices to post false discounts to encourage sales. 

Always do comparisons when agoda posts discounts. 

This is not to say that a hotel may offer discounts on agoda, but this is not always the case. 

And somebody tell that guy in the photo that it's rude to put your feet up in Thailand

Edited by metempsychotic

What is that misinformation about Chinese travelers being cheap, not spending money, only staying in low class hotels at discount rates. I suggest you go to any of the big and well known newer chain hotels along the beach, go for a sumptuous breakfast buffet and see if there are just well off Westerners. You will be surprised... Then maybe head to any of the big tourist spots in Europe. Perfect example and often in the news lately is Switzerland which is overrun by Chinese and Asians paying top $ for any attraction they visit and buying not just one but 5 or 10 watches, most of us could not afford. A friend quadrupled his staff in Luzern and Interlaken shops and makes a killing. A Singapore investigate report, sorry can't find the name as was on Asia News, sets daily average expenditures per Chinese visitor at 425 $. Obviously Pattaya might not attract the top travelers, looking around i see a majority of Westerners probably are also not the creme de la creme. TH will continue doing well if politics calm down and will not starve because of the white men missing. Just wished it was like 20 years ago... MS>

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The title is misleading (aka, click-bait). The article didn't say that hotels have lowered their prices. The article said that travelers are paying less on average, that means more are staying in cheaper hotels. More travelers on a budget...Chinese, Indians, etc.

"There are lies, d*&^med lies, and statistics" -Mark Twain.

• Like 1