Source of funds for Married Extension

There have been a lot of discussions here lately about the new Retirement extension requirements. I understand that the 800K baht have to come from abroad. It all got me a little confused, what is the requirement for the 400K required for Married extension? Can this be a local transfer, or does it have to come from abroad too.

The reason I'm asking, is that for the past couple of years I have been doing international transfers for the 400K extension requirement. This time I want to open a new account, deposit the required 400K, and leave it there for the yearly renewals, and as an emergency fund. I have the money here already in my other bank account, and would just do a local baht transfer.

This year I was specifically asked where my money came from..I told them it came from my account in the UK and they where satisfied with that...they did not ask for any proof what so ever to confirm what I had told them

Jomtien retirement extension today.

All the steps completeted and hopefully get my passport back tomorrow.

They gave me a return in 90 days letter and I was told to bring my bank book to prove I still had no less than 800k baht.

oh well.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no requirement to prove the source of the 400k baht in the bank. No need to prove it came from abroad.

There is no requirement to prove the 800k baht came from abroad for an extension based upon retirement either.

Thanks ubonjoe. I read many posts by members who didn't want to use TransferWise as this did not show as FTT on their account, and were worried that Immigration will not accept this.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, tom2tom2 said:

You missed the bit about "Married extension"  ????  

For retirement  after you show them  your book with 800,000 in the bank you can start withdrawing down to 400,000  but you must not let it go lower than 400,000 and have to top it up again to 800,000  2 (or 3) months before next extension.

11 minutes ago, SpaceKadet said:

Thanks ubonjoe. I read many posts by members who didn't want to use TransferWise as this did not show as FTT on their account, and were worried that Immigration will not accept this.

I think that was proving 40k/65k baht by way of transfers from abroad not the money in the bank.

2 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Are you sure?

I thought you had to leave it at 800,000 for the first three of your extension.

ie 2 months before applying and hold for 3 more then can draw down to 400,000.

You are correct.

20 minutes ago, tom2tom2 said:

They gave me a return in 90 days letter and I was told to bring my bank book to prove I still had no less than 800k baht.

oh well.

Pathetic. Although i suppose we should be grateful they don't want a bank statement as well for the 90 day report. Hush my mouth.

1 hour ago, tom2tom2 said:

oh well.

As said by someone else, the OP was about a Marriage extension, where having 400K in the bank for the application, unlike the new Retirement extension, there is no minimum amount to be held in your bank a/c once the extension is obtained.  Hence many who have the option of doing either extension route are planning to do the Marriage extension.    The criteria for those no longer able to obtain income letters from their respective Embassies, the monthly income of 40K/65K supported by bank statements are exactly the same.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SpaceKadet said:

Those concerns were in relation to using the income method, in which case the monthly transfer must be shown as an international transfer.

As far as I know that you can use local transfer. That's what I did . I opened an account in BKK bank and deposited 400 thousand baht in cash and I just left it there as an extension money and won't touch it. Immigration don't care where the money comes from as long as you meet the requirements. 

Do the required sums have to be held in a single bank account or can they be made up from say two different bank accounts?

19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:
There is no requirement to prove the source of the 400k baht in the bank. No need to prove it came from abroad.
There is no requirement to prove the 800k baht came from abroad for an extension based upon retirement either.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

18 minutes ago, LoS itaint said:

Do the required sums have to be held in a single bank account or can they be made up from say two different bank accounts?

There is no requirement for it to be in only one account. 

Best to have in one account to avoid two bank letters and bank updates or statements. More than 2 could be problematic IMO.

Please correct me if I am wrong but I was pretty sure that "source of funds" dec' not required

for visa or extensions of same. Buying a property seems to be not possible with my 28 year savings from working here. Would appreciate any help on this without starting a Company

For the marriage extension I'm wondering why people are worrying about income and bank proof. I thought was possible to do a marriage extension at HCMC or Savanaket without the need to prove income or is that only after the initial application for marriage extension?

3 minutes ago, dontpanic said:

For the marriage extension I'm wondering why people are worrying about income and bank proof. I thought was possible to do a marriage extension at HCMC or Savanaket without the need to prove income or is that only after the initial application for marriage extension?

VISA (marriage) got to jump borders every 90 days. Extensions are only done inside Thailand.

Edited by BritManToo

As not so far mentioned, just to say if doing marriage extension  on income (and not getting embassy letter) you have to show minimum of 40,000 baht a month going into your Thai bank for all 12 months as a foreign transfer (like you do for retirement, but for only 40,000 not 65,000). This was in Udon Thani. Next year, maybe different .....   The 400,000 baht in the bank is less problematic, and you can use it once extension has been approved.

As a note of interest to all. I checked the US Social Security list of IDD eligible countries and Thailand is now on the list.  It was not on the list when I went through the process of opening a deposit account with Bangkok Bank, New York. I'm going back to my BB and changing to Direct Deposit.

23 hours ago, pagallim said:

As said by someone else, the OP was about a Marriage extension, where having 400K in the bank for the application, unlike the new Retirement extension, there is no minimum amount to be held in your bank a/c once the extension is obtained.  Hence many who have the option of doing either extension route are planning to do the Marriage extension.    The criteria for those no longer able to obtain income letters from their respective Embassies, the monthly income of 40K/65K supported by bank statements are exactly the same.

That is not universally true. Udon requirements are that it be kept for 3 months.

1 hour ago, rickudon said:

As not so far mentioned, just to say if doing marriage extension  on income (and not getting embassy letter) you have to show minimum of 40,000 baht a month going into your Thai bank for all 12 months as a foreign transfer (like you do for retirement, but for only 40,000 not 65,000). This was in Udon Thani. Next year, maybe different .....   The 400,000 baht in the bank is less problematic, and you can use it once extension has been approved.

Not correct for Udon. You must keep the 400k for three  months 

Edited by sometimewoodworker

48 minutes ago, pizzachang said:

As a note of interest to all. I checked the US Social Security list of IDD eligible countries and Thailand is now on the list.  It was not on the list when I went through the process of opening a deposit account with Bangkok Bank, New York. I'm going back to my BB and changing to Direct Deposit.

Don't get into a big rush to do it. Manilla is not prepared to process them yet. They have informed people it is still in the testing of it phase.

They do have this special sign up form for it. https://www.ssa.gov/forms/SSA-1199-OP107.pdf

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Don't get into a big rush to do it. Manilla is not prepared to process them yet. They have informed people it is still in the testing of it phase.

They do have this special sign up form for it. https://www.ssa.gov/forms/SSA-1199-OP107.pdf

Not really disputing your post but curious as to why Thailand would appear on the list if "Manila is not ready to process them yet."  If an applicant were to apply online, inside the USA, would they not just simply fill out the 1199a with their Thai bank account number? Would they then get a communication from Manila telling them it's not ready yet?  Thanks for all your help and input about this very important subject

16 hours ago, dontpanic said:

At those places you will get  new Non-Imm O Visa, not an extension of stay. 

Edited by jacko45k