EC keeps everyone guessing

webfact

1 hour ago, nong38 said:

The way the seats were to allocated should have been decided and declared long before the election so everyone understood how things would work out, that that did not happen just allowed all the smoke and mirrors to cover up what really happened. Although we are only observers here I wonder how many will think that when the final result is declared it is a true and accurate reflection of the votes? 

Is Lord Buckethead still Prime Minister?

This Thailand na. We Thai na. We not think ahead. Not same same like you falang. OK? 

Most Thais don't seem to bothered about politics or who is running the show so long as they can make it from day to day. When they have no money though then they begin to take a bit of notice, they are extremely tolerant in this respect though as mentioned above. Everyone in the country has a duty to do the right thing to make the country tick, some do some don't, the greatest sin is no action when action could have been taken and goes across the full spectrum, how many can look in the mirror?

14 hours ago, yellowboat said:

That says it all.  It looks like they are making things up as they go along so they can cater to the junta.  It is shameful. 

They are, but with the number of Thais upset by the way things are being handled and the potential for outright protest and violence they are having trouble deciding on just how to complete the theft of this election.

15 hours ago, chama said:

They are, but with the number of Thais upset by the way things are being handled and the potential for outright protest and violence they are having trouble deciding on just how to complete the theft of this election.

Thais will just take it without any action. Placid surrender, it's what we've seen the last five years. They have the "government" they've deserved. So junta can ram it sideways down their gullets any which way they want.

On 4/26/2019 at 12:36 PM, Oziex1 said:

I'm not suggesting Thaksin is an angel but the timing of this sentence indicates to me that the powers that be are still anxious about the continuing presence of the man in the minds of the Thai public.

On the subject of Thaksin, however corrupt and lawless he may have been or is, the current mob will eventually catch up and exceed his corrupt ways. Who will bring them to justice when they eventually skip the country?

no-one, they have a self proclaimed amnesty. always nice to be able to draft your own little constitution. This whole charade is also a result of that very same constitution. Written in such a way, that the people's choices don't really matter at all. 

2 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Thais will just take it without any action. Placid surrender, it's what we've seen the last five years. They have the "government" they've deserved. So junta can ram it sideways down their gullets any which way they want.

I fear you are right, though one can never predict when violence may start with some small incident and then take off uncontrollably (cf the French Yellow Shirts at the moment).

Every country gets the government it deserves ... in the sense that it is the culture of the people that enables & 'authorizes' governments to 'take office', and that applies even to the most authoritarian of régimes (eg Nazis, Stalin, Mao ... ). So all adult citizens bare some degree of responsibility for the outcomes.

1 minute ago, mfd101 said:

I fear you are right, though one can never predict when violence may start with some small incident and then take off uncontrollably (cf the French Yellow Shirts at the moment).

Every country gets the government it deserves ... in the sense that it is the culture of the people that enables & 'authorizes' governments to 'take office', and that applies even to the most authoritarian of régimes (eg Nazis, Stalin, Mao ... ). So all adult citizens bare some degree of responsibility for the outcomes.

In a normal democracy I would agree with you. However the current bunch was not voted in by anyone, so therefore the Thai citizens didn't get the government they deserved, it was shoved down their throats. 

1 hour ago, sjaak327 said:

In a normal democracy I would agree with you. However the current bunch was not voted in by anyone, so therefore the Thai citizens didn't get the government they deserved, it was shoved down their throats. 

It nevertheless took power with a great deal of popular acquiescence (which is NOT the same as popularity) & in a cultural context (hierarchy, corruption, cynicism ... ) that made the coup possible.

My general point is that it's not just democracies (real ones) where the people make it or let it happen.

But protesting a military regime or unwanted regime historically has meant lots of civilians being killed by the men in green. 1973, 1976, 1992 and a bunch of times in this century. Who wants to catch the first bullet?

If the people are vigilant enough & take preventative action early enough, and if their civil leaders have credibility, and if civil society (ie everything between the family & the State) is sufficiently strong, then the coup doesn't happen in the first place.

15 hours ago, mfd101 said:

It nevertheless took power with a great deal of popular acquiescence (which is NOT the same as popularity) & in a cultural context (hierarchy, corruption, cynicism ... ) that made the coup possible.

My general point is that it's not just democracies (real ones) where the people make it or let it happen.

You make good points, Mfd101 (above).

Yes, I remember very clearly how when the coup happened in 2014 quite a number of Thais were very pleased and almost smooching with the military - handing them flowers and the like. That honeymoon period lasted a long time.

As others have rightly pointed out, however, those Thais who wish to oppose military rule do run the very real risk of being shot at if they take to the streets in protest. It does take guts to stand up to military might (although other courageous peoples throughout history have done so, it should be noted).

A point that poster Baboon and myself often make is that there has overwhelmingly not - for five full years - even been symbolic defiance of the junta. If a junta representative comes to a town or to an institution, the Thais will be all smiles and wais and deference. They do not even dare to walk away or scowl. I have seen this myself - even from 'Red Shirts' who cheered and clapped when a high junta minister was before them - and I was shocked by it (it was something I was completely unprepared for - I had expected a bit more principle).

So: yes, the Thais did not vote in the military junta - they just had it imposed on them; but the Thais' five-year-long passive acceptance of junta rule (with some notable brave student exceptions) has not in any way helped the situation. Action should have been taken immediately. God knows it was OBVIOUS which way the junta wind was blowing ...

On 4/26/2019 at 8:15 AM, madmitch said:

On the system they're suggesting, Lord Buckethead and The Monster Raving Loony Party would have seats in the UK Parliament!

Though that might be an improvement on the current bunch!

I was under the impression that had happened.

Archived