Are retirees welcome in Thailand?

15 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

You have been victimized by "TVDS's "Thai Visa depression syndrome."  How many times a year to you leave Thailand?  Every time you leave it resets the 90 day clock and you don't have to do those reports in person - get familiar with a computer.  If you have enough money to purchase a condo on the beach you certainly have enough to buy a small FD account as you would in America.  Buy one and take out the interest every year.  I've done it for 20 years with nothing but profits.  Many people can help you with the TM30 reports.  I've never lived in an area that required them. 

Thanks for your suggestions.

I don't have a problem really with the 90 day reports (on their own).  It's the TM30's that are troublesome for me and whenever leaving the country (I leave about twice a year) I still have to drive 3 hours round trip (within 24 hours) to Immigration just to do my TM30 (for the landlord of course).  My landlord works everyday so I must "self report" the TM30 or be in violation.

Also, my Imm Office does not allow the TM30 to be done online therefore I need to arrive at Immigration with copies of my passport, a signed TM30 form, a signed Power of Attorney and signed copies of the landlords ID and Tabian ban.  I also have to do one whenever I return from a domestic trip and stayed in a hotel.  It's a real PITA.

The money thing is not an issue for me.  I just wish things could be streamlined and consistent for all here in the LOS.

I guess you're right,  Maybe I have caught a bug (TVDS) and need to chill out a little bit.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

"What area of expertise did you want to volunteer in?  It's not a problem for anyone I know who has a skill that the local authorities deem necessary.  This may not be the case for people living in Pattaya because of the reputation of many of the foreigners in the area. "

Sorry I forgot to click on quote:

The last time I visited the US Embassy in Bangkok I was asked by the female clerk there if I would like to do some volunteer work to help out my fellow US citizens... so I asked her what kind of volunteer work she was referring to.  She said that they needed expats (in my area) to assist elderly and disabled expats with regards to getting out and handling their Immigration paperwork or getting to a doctors appt etc.. and I said that I would be happy to assist.  She then took my e-mail address and I was on my way.

After getting home, I did a little research and found out that I would be violating the terms of my O-A visa if I did any volunteer work in Thailand while on a O-A visa or a retirement extension.  This was unexpected and made no sense to me at all but I am not about to put my stay here in jeopardy even if there are others in need.

Wow.  Last time I was at the US embassy no one spoke to me at all.  I find it difficult to believe that a person employed there would ask you to do work that was illegal in Thailand.  No problem though.  I'll call up and report them so it won't happen again.  

3 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

Thanks for your suggestions.

I don't have a problem really with the 90 day reports (on their own).  It's the TM30's that are troublesome for me and whenever leaving the country (I leave about twice a year) I still have to drive 3 hours round trip (within 24 hours) to Immigration just to do my TM30 (for the landlord of course).  My landlord works everyday so I must "self report" the TM30 or be in violation.

Also, my Imm Office does not allow the TM30 to be done online therefore I need to arrive at Immigration with copies of my passport, a signed TM30 form, a signed Power of Attorney and signed copies of the landlords ID and Tabian ban.  I also have to do one whenever I return from a domestic trip and stayed in a hotel.  It's a real PITA.

The money thing is not an issue for me.  I just wish things could be streamlined and consistent for all here in the LOS.

I guess you're right,  Maybe I have caught a bug (TVDS) and need to chill out a little bit.

If money is no problem have the 90 day and TM 30 reports done for you.  Why drive 3 hours yourself. 

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Rules are fine if they are fair, so why make a vast majority of decent people suffer because of a very small amount of undesirables.

The Thai authorities should go and round up that small amount of them, or is that too much like work? 

Never been to Pattaya?

Most of us farangs are undesirables. It is like a retirement village for ex criminals. Nice vibe.

Many are pimping out the poor village girls.

Just now, marcusarelus said:

Wow.  Last time I was at the US embassy no one spoke to me at all.  I find it difficult to believe that a person employed there would ask you to do work that was illegal in Thailand.  No problem though.  I'll call up and report them so it won't happen again.  

Yea I was a little shocked when she asked me (as it was totally unexpected).  It sounded like they really needed expats who speak/read/write English to help other English speaking expats here in Isaan.  I can see how an elderly or disabled expat living alone or with a Thai wife with poor English skills might struggle here in this area as it seems that nearly nobody speaks English.

I did ask her if it was allowed for me to volunteer on my retirement status and she said that she "didn't think that it would be a problem".  That's when I decided to have a look at the rules just to be sure.  Thanks for making that call BTW and good luck getting anyone to answer the phone!!

1 minute ago, MeePeeMai said:

Yea I was a little shocked when she asked me (as it was totally unexpected).  It sounded like they really needed expats who speak/read/write English to help other English speaking expats here in Isaan.  I can see how an elderly or disabled expat living alone or with a Thai wife with poor English skills might struggle here in this area as it seems that nearly nobody speaks English.

I did ask her if it was allowed for me to volunteer on my retirement status and she said that she "didn't think that it would be a problem".  That's when I decided to have a look at the rules just to be sure.  Thanks for making that call BTW and good luck getting anyone to answer the phone!!

It is easy to contact a warden. 

32 minutes ago, weri said:

Obviously retirees are not welcome anymore, the tide has changed and the Chinese Yen is chased, I had the intention to retire in Thailand some 5 years ago and been there 4 times and noticed that every everything got dearer and more difficult to have a relaxing life on retirement, so NO I shall reconsider and am looking for better alternatives ????

Lots of better places to retire if you have the cash but none as cheap as Thailand given the current infrastructure. 

22 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Fact is that besides for retirees its also specifically made much more complicated to long term stay for foreigners under 50 years of age.

would u know why?

don't know why about most things in this world.    but i do know that we are just pawns and have to make adjustments in life.    the OP asks if we feel welcome here.  quite a few newer and older members have said yes.   others have said no.    

2 minutes ago, rumak said:

don't know why about most things in this world.    but i do know that we are just pawns and have to make adjustments in life.    the OP asks if we feel welcome here.  quite a few newer and older members have said yes.   others have said no.    

I was waiting at the bank a couple of days ago and the place was packed and the guard asked a middle aged woman to get up and give me her chair.  I felt bad for the lady but it was obvious I was wanted. 

On 4/26/2019 at 11:44 AM, luckyluke said:

For the moment money in your homeland is also sufficient for many nationalities. 

remember it's 800,000 for three months before and three months after visa renewal time and then you  are free to use 400,000 of that.

but you must get it back up to 800 3 months before your visa comes up again.

or

Show a minimum of B65K income per month from a proper source...that will work too and is very reasonable.

there are some hoops to jump through, but between those two choices a reasonably situated retiree can manage quite well.

7 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I was waiting at the bank a couple of days ago and the place was packed and the guard asked a middle aged woman to get up and give me her chair.  I felt bad for the lady but it was obvious I was wanted. 

Funny, people here act pretty darn nice to me too.  Nothing special ,,,, but no harassment or xenophobia at all.  After at least a year of different threads complaining about changes in this or that,  I think there has only been a few posters that have left and came here (TV) to tell us how wonderful life is for them in some other country.   But lots threatening to leave.  

19 minutes ago, rumak said:

OP asked are we still welcome in Thailand?

Nothing he asked about feelings as how u try to spin it.

Based on the ongoing visa restrictions procedures i would have to say we are apparently less welcome then before.

My feelings for Thai people are positive but that’s not his question.

No, the big problem is the people like YOU that think YOUR view of things is the objective one !
Sorry to give you some tough love.... but wish you and others would realize these are OPINIONS that are being shared.   Fact :  some requirements have changed.  OPINION:  these are major negative changes.

Not love at all.
Distortion.
When rules change in the direction of becoming more burdensome and more onerous that means those are NEGATIVE changes by definition for the expats.
Unless you're a masochist.
I have provided a detailed objective and factual list of all the negative changes on other threads so I will not repeat here.
Cheers.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Another thing that many retired expat nations do that Thailand doesn't is welcome foreigners to do VOLUNTEER work without legal hassles. That shows an interest in the people as people in addition to the obvious hoped for economic benefit. 

Because you’re stopping a Thai person volunteering ????????????

15 minutes ago, rumak said:

another oh so boring and typical JT post.     repeat and repeat .    " distortion ....burdensome.......onerous.....negative ........masochist........ objective......"

you definitely missed your calling in life as a writer .  do you come on here just to debate ?   boring man.   I really do hope you find a better alternative and that they have a forum there to keep you busy.     cheers ????

You don’t have to read his posts, in fact you can block him and not even see them.....or maybe you’re actually a fan

On 4/26/2019 at 10:10 AM, from the home of CC said:

as long as you really have some money retirees are more than welcome here..

If one REALLY have money, where will he/she NOT be welcomed?

Money opens all doors...

I find that retirees are entirely welcome here. You simply have to comply with 3 things 

Bring all your money here.

Give it all to some Thai bird or ladyboy.

And only stay for 30 days providing of course you have enough left to last you 30 days

1 hour ago, CNX GUY said:

remember it's 800,000 for three months before and three months after visa renewal time and then you  are free to use 400,000 of that.

but you must get it back up to 800 3 months before your visa comes up again.

or

Show a minimum of B65K income per month from a proper source...that will work too and is very reasonable.

there are some hoops to jump through, but between those two choices a reasonably situated retiree can manage quite well.

Why jump the hoops? Just open a savings account, deposit Baht 800K and forget about it until the visa renewal time.

Really, is this such a HUGE problem? if so, might as well stay at home and take a nap.

Archived