Monthly income for retirement visa

5 minutes ago, zaZa9 said:

An update on Phuket Town Immigration.

An acquaintance , on hearing of the changes , started bringing in 65k from the US in January , only  a few days after reading the ruling.

So he had 4 deposits when he applied to extend his Retirement Visa last week. He also had about 250k in baht in his bank here.

He was refused , "not enough payments" being the reason.

Last I heard he was going back to the US to make a new Retirement Visa based on 800k in a US bank.

Anyone know what he "should " have had in the way of money to have successfully extended ?

If your acquaintance needed to renew his extension last week he could have got an income affidavit from the US Embassy in December that would still have been valid until the end of June. Any Idea why they didn't use that option?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, zaZa9 said:

An acquaintance , on hearing of the changes , started bringing in 65k from the US in January , only  a few days after reading the ruling.

So he had 4 deposits when he applied to extend his Retirement Visa last week. He also had about 250k in baht in his bank here.

Last I heard he was going back to the US to make a new Retirement Visa based on 800k in a US bank.

Anyone know what he "should " have had in the way of money to have successfully extended ?

That's discretionary to the office and officer but I'm pretty certain I've heard other offices approving 65K deposits with even fewer months than four. Bad luck that happened to that guy. That was totally unfair enforcement. The national order CLEARLY advises to show leniency this first year. Next year it's 12 months or forget it. The bank portion was irrelevant as he was applying full income, not combo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zaZa9 said:

After hearing of the changes, what he "should" have done for a successful retirement extension in Phuket was deposit 800k baht into a Thai bank account.  Failing that, it may have been cheaper to pay a visa agent than to travel back to the US.  Each individual Immigration Office is allowed to make its own rules.  Phuket refuses to show leniency this year.  

The options for a Phuket retirement extension are in the link:

http://piv-phuket.com/general-information/changes-regarding-retirement-extension-application/

As i understand it the applicant for visa extension ,using this method, must bring monies in to Thailand from abroad every month.Evidence that it is new money into Thailand has to appear on the confirming statement issued by your bank.

The amount of money can vary -month to month.

However the average per month must be at least 65,000 Baht.

Based on what you state I cannot see that you comply with the rules.

Given that this is a new method ,immigration may offer a relaxed position for first time applicants.

Also -you can spend this   money as soon as it arrives.

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

You're not? Actually that's misleading. It's not about a million baht it's about locking that up most of the year as dead money.  

But to be fair yes I agree it is unfortunate for an older person to not have significant savings to be able to draw upon without assigning a number yeah a million baht isn't very much.

Also very sad is the new Thai rule that doesn't allow these people using the 800k method or the problematic combo method to touch all or half of that locked money for the entire year. That's extremely restrictive. Saving for a rainy day? Sorry spend and your stay becomes illegal and/or your next year's extension is killed. That's sad too.

I just looked up that about 20 percent of older Americans have no savings at all. Yeah that's sad.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You're not? Actually that's misleading. It's not about a million baht it's about locking that up most of the year as dead money.  

it amounts to the same, thats also pretty sad if you can not afford to lock up a million in an account for the retirement visa.

7 hours ago, jesimps said:

"not meaning to have a pop at anyone....."

Yes you are by going on to say:     

"but i do thing its pretty sad when people who have worked 40 or 50 years and they cant get a million baht together for a retirement visa."

That's a fairly smug reply which doesn't take into account people's preferences and circumstances.

I don't know about anyone else, but I could put several million baht in a bank here, but I prefer not to. While I can legally stay here using other options, that's what I'll do. The problem for most is that the current rules are pretty ambiguous, especially those regarding income with no embassy letter and the combination method. Also "leniency" seems to have a different meaning at each office. That's what we're doing on here, trying to get to the bottom of what each office wants, not whinging about not having sufficient capital. Read the posts.

i made a statement, cut it how you like, it amounts to the same, if you are able to get your visa by many methods stop complaining and just get on with it why worry about others, thats their problem.

13 hours ago, sumrit said:

If your acquaintance needed to renew his extension last week he could have got an income affidavit from the US Embassy in December that would still have been valid until the end of June. Any Idea why they didn't use that option?

Incorrect I am afraid. Whilst the embassy may state 6 month validity, immigration have not been accepting embassy letters since 1st March.

10 hours ago, Tomahawk21 said:

not meaning to have a pop at anyone but i do thing its pretty sad when people who have worked 40 or 50 years and they cant get a million baht together for a retirement visa. 

Yes we all had multi million baht pots when we retired at 50,55,60. But living here for 10-20 years many have spent money on cars, houses, girls etc which is bound to have reduced your savings. For some therefore it is hard to keep 800k untounched in a bank, especially with low exchange rates. We all thought that the 800k was there as a means of support for our living not to just sit in a bank.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Yes we all had multi million baht pots when we retired at 50,55,60. But living here for 10-20 years many have spent money on cars, houses, girls etc which is bound to have reduced your savings. For some therefore it is hard to keep 800k untounched in a bank, especially with low exchange rates. We all thought that the 800k was there as a means of support for our living not to just sit in a bank.

ive lived here 20 years. People who come here to retire should learn to plan their money better. if you cant meet the requirement of the immigration then you can not afford to live here, thats what the immigration are saying, it really is that simple.

25 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Incorrect I am afraid. Whilst the embassy may state 6 month validity, immigration have not been accepting embassy letters since 1st March.

Buriram stopped accepting Embassy Letters from the affected countries (AUS, UK, US) on March 1 and Chiang Mai isn't honoring them either.

Immigration Offices can make their own rules. A few Offices are soon going to limit the monthly 65k method to those who either have a pension, an Embassy Letter, or both a pension and an Embassy Letter.  An Immigration Officer at Chaeng Wattana (Bangkok) says that they prefer the 800k method.

11 hours ago, Tomahawk21 said:

not meaning to have a pop at anyone but i do thing its pretty sad when people who have worked 40 or 50 years and they cant get a million baht together for a retirement visa.

Well you are my fiend, as I worked for over 50 years in Australia sold my house and car and bike and moved over here 4 years ago bought a lovely house on darkside of Pattaya and now because of people who told porkies on their affidavits it looks like I may have to sell my house to comply with these new rules.  Previously I used the combo method 400,000thb in bank + 500,000 pension and I might add I lived quite comfortably on my pension P.S. my house value at 3.5 million  and I own it outright no mortgage! so pop; away.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Jingthing said:

That's discretionary to the office and officer but I'm pretty certain I've heard other offices approving 65K deposits with even fewer months than four. Bad luck that happened to that guy. That was totally unfair enforcement. The national order CLEARLY advises to show leniency this first year. Next year it's 12 months or forget it. The bank portion was irrelevant as he was applying full income, not combo.

If I recall correctly, Phuket was requiring a full 12 months of deposits, IE, no leniency! Sorry can't find relevant post. 

1 hour ago, Jip99 said:

That is completely incorrect. March 1st is when the new rules went into effect for the money in the bank option for retirement extensioons and nothing more.

The rules for income went into effect in December and it states that proof of income from an embassy is still accepted.

From the amendment to police order 138/2557.

image.png.2105491212ddd9c6daab100af743b70f.png

54 minutes ago, SEtonal said:

Buriram stopped accepting Embassy Letters from the affected countries (AUS, UK, US) on March 1 and Chiang Mai isn't honoring them either.

No sure what Buriram immigration did but it was incorrect. There have been reports of Chiang Mai accepting them.

31 minutes ago, a977 said:

Well you are my fiend, as I worked for over 50 years in Australia sold my house and car and bike and moved over here 4 years ago bought a lovely house on darkside of Pattaya and now because of people who told porkies on their affidavits it looks like I may have to sell my house to comply with these new rules.  Previously I used the combo method 400,000thb in bank + 500,000 pension and I might add I lived quite comfortably on my pension P.S. my house value at 3.5 million  and I own it outright no mortgage! so pop; away.

Yes,definitely in the category of smug git having a pop. 

32 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

No sure what Buriram immigration did but it was incorrect. There have been reports of Chiang Mai accepting them.

The first link below says that Buriram Immigration was not going to accept Embassy Letters after March 1 (meaning AUS, UK, and US). In the second link, the poster presented a US Consulate Income Affidavit and was told he had to prove 12 monthly 65k deposits from abroad -- just like those without an Embassy/Consulate Letter.  If Chiang Mai did accept Embassy/Consulate Letters it may have been before an arbitrary date (like March 1 being reported for Buriram and Phuket).  Also Chiang Mai may still be accepting Embassy/Consulate Letters from those with pensions.  Pensions have been mentioned in several reports from Chiang Mai this year.

Edited by SEtonal
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Buriram told me they were not being accepted from 1st March.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Buriram told me they were not being accepted from 1st March.

They gave out incorrect info.

Perhaps the have now gotten the message that they are allowed.

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I hope you are right; the IO was very clear last time I enquired "Big boss says cannot...."

I will find out next week when I go to attempt my extension.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, a977 said:

worked for over 50 years in Australia  own a house value at 3.5 million  and I own it outright no mortgage! 

that my point and the Immigration point. 50 years of working and thats all you got to show for it? go figure. ouch

Edited by Tomahawk21

On 5/1/2019 at 10:40 AM, ubonjoe said:

Update.

The message has indeed got through; the police captain accepted my British embassy letter dated November (used his fingers to make sure by counting the months since November).

He also took my bank letter and stamped bank statements - which I had highlighted the 65k+ per month......wasn’t interested in the Transferwise printouts.

I wait to see what is needed next year.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2019 at 11:02 PM, Delight said:

As i understand it the applicant for visa extension ,using this method, must bring monies in to Thailand from abroad every month.Evidence that it is new money into Thailand has to appear on the confirming statement issued by your bank.

The amount of money can vary -month to month.

However the average per month must be at least 65,000 Baht.

(Strictly speaking, I don't know about proving the money is "new."  Couldn't you wire in ฿65,000, smuggle the funds back to Come-From Land, wire it back in; repeat?  :-?  )

But more seriously: Are you sure about "average must be at least 65,000 Baht"?  I thought every month had to be at least ฿65,000.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, singburisam said:

(Strictly speaking, I don't know about proving the money is "new."  Couldn't you wire in ฿65,000, smuggle the funds back to Come-From Land, wire it back in; repeat?  :-?  )

But more seriously: Are you sure about "average must be at least 65,000 Baht"?  I thought every month had to be at least ฿65,000.

My understanding is it must be 65k or above, every month.  Not an average of 65k, over 12 months. 

• Like 1

On 4/30/2019 at 1:54 AM, malibukid said:

well worth the $200 bucks she charges which includes the visa fee.  inevitably i have found few fluent English speakers at immigration.  

So, you can hire an agent for $200 USD (around 6K) and that includes 1900 baht extension fee? And she can handle all legitimate options like 65K/mont in a Thai bank, 800K in a bank, or a combo if you can provide bank book and letter verifying it? Where is this agent? This is extremely cheap. Same as an O-A visa fee. 

On 4/30/2019 at 5:25 PM, zaZa9 said:
On 4/30/2019 at 11:54 AM, ubonjoe said:

Showing 800k or 400k baht in the bank is not needed if you can show 65k baht being transferred from abroad for a few months this year.

You can use the 65k baht income option to apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement. Just show a bank statement from the bank showing the 65k baht coming in and a letter from the bank to validate your account.

Does TI care about what a person deposits in a USA bank?

"Last I heard he was going back to the US to make a new Retirement Visa based on 800k in a US bank."

21 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Does TI care about what a person deposits in a USA bank?

"Last I heard he was going back to the US to make a new Retirement Visa based on 800k in a US bank."

No.

But an American can get an 0-A visa in the USA based on showing 800K in the U.S. bank. A criminal background check and medical form also needed for the O-A.