BK Bank example of Monthly Income for Retirement Extension

17 hours ago, sfokevin said:

A Chiang Mai visa agent just recently posted this as an example of a bank letter that Chiang Mai Immigration would accept for purposes of extending visa using the 65k monthly bank transfer method

I found a Kasikorn Bank in Bangkok was asked for same and instead issued (12) monthly Credit Advice Receipts. CAR's are already in their system, just a matter for the bank to click & print each CAR.

Shame certain embassies didn't coordinate with Immigration to standardize monthly income documentation for the income method.

16 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Any examples of a marriage one?

The same one could be used if needed.

Not all immigration offices will expecting something like what was posted in the OP or even possible to get from a local bank.

• Like 1

Once again, I see that it says it must be a transfer into the Thai bank every month. As I pointed out back when this all began, if you use social security for all or part of your monthly transfers, then transfers will not be made every month. Because of holidays, for example, last August meant there were two transfers in August and NONE in September. That will continue to be the case, every now and then, when social security deposits at the end of a month instead of the beginning because of things like Labor Day, and New Year's. At the time, Ubon Joe said he did not believe this would be a problem, that Thai Immigration would see what had happened and adjust. I hope UJ is correct, but I don't know if this is the case. Has anyone yet had immigration review and approve the monthly income from last year after seeing the double deposit August and zero deposit September for 2018?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Henryford said:

This is definately NOT the case. The fee charged by Halifax might be similar (for 1600 GBP) but the exchange rate will be far worse than TW, and you will get charged by the receiving bank. Currently TW are quoting 41.70 vs a Bank rate of about 41.30. You gain over 1000 baht using TW.

41.70 - 41.30 = 0.40 x 1600 = 640 Bht.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spidey said:

The Halifax charges me £9.50 for international transfers. Pretty much the same as TransferWise. I send the money in GBP and get a very similar exchange rate to TransferWise. I have heard reports that TransferWise transfers don't always show up as international transfers, whereas my transfers from Halifax have always shown up as FTT.

I did consider TransferWise but as the costs are very similar, I would prefer to transfer my monies directly from my bank in the UK to my bank in Thailand, without using an intermediary.

I used to use Halifax swift transfers and you're correct, they charged me 9.50 pounds and showed up as international transfers. I transferred the amount in pounds, but the exchange rate here as compared to TransferWise was significantly lower. I therefore changed to TW last year on the advice of a friend. I now receive some 1800 baht more for each monthly transfer. Over 12 years that's quite a hefty sum I've been losing. But you're correct, sometimes (not often) the TW transfer can go via Kbank or TMB and will show up in BBL as a domestic transfer.

Edited by jesimps
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Changoverandout said:

All my U.K. state pensions are coded BTN (Bahtnet) and private pensions I send ad hoc via Transferwise to Bangkok bank are coded FTT.

Will BTN be accepted with a letter from DWP U.K. stating I receive 4 weekly pension directly into my Thai bank?

Anyone had any experience of BTN code accepted as foreign transfers with accompanying proof?

I now recommend using a visa agent to smooth out all the ifs and buts for whatever an IO wants in whatever Immigration post. And what you suggest is one way to prove to the visa agent that your funds come direct from the UK pensions office. Presumably you would also be able to provide the sterling amounts received from the pension office, and the correlating amounts in Thai baht.

But to try that on your own with an IO is a gamble - at least for the first renewal - because you don't know what's going to be accepted and what's not.

:- Your monthly pension/income must be transfer to Thai Bank Account no less than 65,000 Baht everymonths for 12 months (Total no less than 800,000 Baht) before extension"

It should be noted that 65K for 12 months does not equal 800K

2 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

:- Your monthly pension/income must be transfer to Thai Bank Account no less than 65,000 Baht everymonths for 12 months (Total no less than 800,000 Baht) before extension"

It should be noted that 65K for 12 months does not equal 800K

Not far off (780k). Probably a bit of rounding up/down from TI. The figure of 65k baht/ month, and previously lower figures was set by TI as a rough equivalent of 2000USD/month.

9 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

41.70 - 41.30 = 0.40 x 1600 = 640 Bht.

640 baht plus not paying the 200 baht bank fee, unlike a Swift transfer, plus a smaller TW charge of £6.81 for £1600 as opposed to £9.50.   

You gain near on 1,000 baht a month which pays for an agent to sort out your next renewal without stress.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Not far off (780k). Probably a bit of rounding up/down from TI. The figure of 65k baht/ month, and previously lower figures was set by TI as a rough equivalent of 2000USD/month.

When you divide 800k by twelve it comes out to 66,6666.6666 baht so they rounded it down to 65k baht. They could of rounded it up to 70k baht.

For marriage it is the other way from 33,333.3333 up to 40k baht. Why not 35k baht?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

When you divide 800k by twelve it comes out to 66,6666.6666 baht so they rounded it down to 65k baht. They could of rounded it up to 70k baht.

For marriage it is the other way from 33,333.3333 up to 40k baht. Why not 35k baht?

Maybe they thought the Thai 'business' wife wouldn't be able to provide more than 25k baht! 

22 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

TiT. 555

35 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Just as an aside. ON todays rates, 2000 USD = 64k baht, so I don't expect any rises in the figure of 65k baht/month, 800k baht/year any time soon.

8 hours ago, johnmell said:

Transfers i have made from HSBC in the UK To Bangkok bank via Swift, are shown on bank statement and bankbook, as bahtnet.

Anybody suggest how i get them shown as a foreign transfer.

Possibly use Transferwise?

I only use TransferWise. Low fees and best exchange rate. I exchange already with TransferWise into Thai Baht and sent the THB to my UOB account and it shows international transfer.

14 hours ago, Thailand said:

"- Your monthly pension/income must be transfer to Thai Bank Account no less than"

It says pension/income, not just pension.

That's a good point. The Thai language does not use a slash to signify "and/or", therefore it is necessary to have a close look at the original Thai text.

//Edit: Correction. Page 3 of the Thai original has a slash in the text translated as "and/or"

Edited by Maestro
added edit note

Actually, the English translation that was posted on Thaivisa does not have the text "pension/income", as far as I can see.

Immigration Bureau Memorandum No. 0029.173_W 4950 - Evidence of income for extension of stay application 20181226 - en.pdf

@Thailand, from what translation did you copy your text?

I see that the English translation I have is incomplete and does not include the rules for the retirement extension. What is the link to the full text published by Thaivisa?

13 minutes ago, Maestro said:

I see that the English translation I have is incomplete and does not include the rules for the retirement extension. What is the link to the full text published by Thaivisa?

Check our pinned topic for them. I posted them after the police orders they changed.

Double-checking, I see that the link I posted actually has all three pages and the document is complete. I remember scrolling down and stopping when I came to the three blank rows, thinking that this was the end of the document. (Must have been the side-effect of the antihistamines I am taking for my awful cold that did this to me)

22 hours ago, Spidey said:

My Bangkok Bank book shows no fees extracted for transfer. It could be that the fee is extracted from the amount paid in as a FTT, but that would seem unusual.

Nor does mine. Why should it. Simply it says 'FTT, amount (baht) , new total. This is the last Swift transfer I did. The SMS alert did detail the Bangkok Bank deduction and Sterling amount received. Actually you may have also been subjected to clearing bank charges as you do not see the Sterling amount in the BB passbook either. Trust me, they will take it! I can't recall how much further detail one can get from Mobile or Internet banking, but you can find the  Bangkok Bank TT exchange rate for the time it was deposited, and calculate the Sterling value. 

Edited by jacko45k

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Nor does mine. Why should it. Simply it says 'FTT, amount (baht) , new total. This is the last Swift transfer I did. The SMS alert did detail the Bangkok Bank deduction. Actually you may have also been subjected to clearing bank charges as you do not see the Sterling amount in the BB passbook either. Trust me, they will take it. I can't recall how much further detail one can get from Mobile or Internet banking, but you can find the TT exchange rate for the time it was deposited and calculate the Sterling value. 

I did do an exchange rate comparison at the beginning of the year, when I first started doing my transfers. Signed up for a TransferWise account. TransferWise was similar, if not the same as the TT rate. By my calculations it cost's me iro 600 baht extra to use the bank to bank method. I had no idea of bank charges at this end. I've signed up for the SMS service and will check at my next transfer.

16 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Actually you may have also been subjected to clearing bank charges as you do not see the Sterling amount in the BB passbook either.

BBL CA/R lingo:

ORDERING INSTITUTION being your bank

SENDING BANK being the intermediary bank, if used.

That may be in the Credit Advice/Receipt, either showing as a reduced amount (amount requested vs. "RECEIVED CURRENCY & AMOUNT"),or in the "LESS OTHER CHARGE" column (although this appears to be a local (THL) fee category.

So you might have requested 1,000 GBP, and if the intermediary bank charges 10 GBP, the CA/R might indicate 990 GBP in the RECEIVED CURRENCY & AMOUNT column? For my U.S. transfers neither my sending bank nor the intermediary bank charge any fees. BBL does charge 200 baht, and offers a slightly lower rate (than TW) in some instances.

Edited by mtls2005

This is the kind of thing that out to be Pinned to the top ... so many questions get answered over and over again here providing information that could be just pinned to the top of the main forum page. This is good solid Info... more of the same please!

Jomtien Immigration recently announced that the evidence that they would require of this is that the monthly transfers were made on a similar date. They indicated that a 9 day spread in the dates would be acceptable.

As my UK State pension (part of my total pension income) is paid every 4 weeks and not monthly, 13 times per year, the date varies each month! However my other pension usually arrives within a spread of a few days each month. The total is always over 65000 baht, so hopefully, Khon Kaen immigration will ignore the 9 day spread rule, which incidentally is NOT in the regulations for income method!

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

26 minutes ago, graemeaylward said:

As my UK State pension (part of my total pension income) is paid every 4 weeks and not monthly, 13 times per year, the date varies each month! However my other pension usually arrives within a spread of a few days each month. The total is always over 65000 baht, so hopefully, Khon Kaen immigration will ignore the 9 day spread rule, which incidentally is NOT in the regulations for income method!

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes, one of my pensions is paid every quarter, which could be awkward had I not banked it in my UK savings account, and just transferred a third into my main account each month. As to the 9 day spread, which I personally find OTT, I suggest you use a visa agent on your first renewal to smooth over any likelihood of an IO being obstructive. Believe me, it gives peace of mind with little stress. My agent fee costs c.8k baht which includes the Imm fee and all photocopies, and I get transported in and out with a 30 minute wait which I spend eyeing up the hot chicks...555.

On 5/2/2019 at 3:52 AM, Changoverandout said:

All my U.K. state pensions are coded BTN (Bahtnet) and private pensions I send ad hoc via Transferwise to Bangkok bank are coded FTT.

Will BTN be accepted with a letter from DWP U.K. stating I receive 4 weekly pension directly into my Thai bank?

Anyone had any experience of BTN code accepted as foreign transfers with accompanying proof?

Ask your bank to provide:
Invoice to transfer money via BAHTNET system
ใบแจ้งเข้าบัญชีการโอนเงินผ่านระบบบาทเนต
and
MT103 Single Customer Credit Transfer.
("MT103 is a SWIFT payment message type/format used for cash transfer specifically for cross border/international wire transfer;
They are globally accepted as proofs of payment and include all payment details such as date, amount, currency, sender and recipient".)

Moreover, a suitable computer program that retrieves documents etc. from the Internet may be of assistance and educational.

19 minutes ago, CapraIbex said:

Ask your bank to provide:
Invoice to transfer money via BAHTNET system
ใบแจ้งเข้าบัญชีการโอนเงินผ่านระบบบาทเนต
and
MT103 Single Customer Credit Transfer.
("MT103 is a SWIFT payment message type/format used for cash transfer specifically for cross border/international wire transfer;
They are globally accepted as proofs of payment and include all payment details such as date, amount, currency, sender and recipient".)

Moreover, a suitable computer program that retrieves documents etc. from the Internet may be of assistance and educational.

It is not clear to me that Immigration will accept these sorts of documents. Might they? Sure. But there've been no reports which I am aware of reporting success proving qualifying foreign transfers with these somewhat obscure documents?

The BBL cover letter summarizing qualifying foreign transfers, along with the associated Credit Advice/Receipts have been said to be acceptable. As have certified statements which show account activity, including all of the qualifying foreign transfers. Finally, a same-day "ownership" letter may be required. This simply states your name, account, maybe how long you've been a customer, current balance - the template for which may be the 800k letter?

11 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

It is not clear to me that Immigration will accept these sorts of documents. Might they? Sure. But there've been no reports which I am aware of reporting success proving qualifying foreign transfers with these somewhat obscure documents?

The BBL cover letter summarizing qualifying foreign transfers, along with the associated Credit Advice/Receipts have been said to be acceptable. As have certified statements which show account activity, including all of the qualifying foreign transfers. Finally, a same-day "ownership" letter may be required. This simply states your name, account, maybe how long you've been a customer, current balance - the template for which may be the 800k letter?

The MT103 documents is anything but obscure; It is issued by the receiving bank and is globally accepted as proofs of payment and include all payment details such as date, amount, currency, sender and recipient.

The Invoice to transfer money via BAHTNET system (ใบแจ้งเข้าบัญชีการโอนเงินผ่านระบบบาทเนต) together with the MT103 will unequivocally proof the origin of the funds!

I bank with Kasikorn and have no opinion in relation to the second paragraph of your post.