ATM Maximum Withdrawal Amount

tlock

With the recent changes regarding the Bangkok Bank ACH transfers, I will be using my ATM card in the near term to get cash.  Does anyone know of any ATMs that give more than 30k baht at a time in Pattaya?  Since the 200 baht withdrawal fee seems static, the more I can take out at a time the better the exchange rate works out.  

None will give over 30,000 THB per pull

From memory,  Krungsri (Bank of Ayudhya), TMB (Thai Military Bank) allow 30K

banks.PNG.1c08fa7325e0da26790ac102d77ba332.PNG

You can get up to your home banks daily limit IF your Thai bank will allow you to do a counter withdrawal.  Some will , some won't .  Like most things here, YMMV

3 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

You can get up to your home banks daily limit IF your Thai bank will allow you to do a counter withdrawal.  Some will , some won't .  Like most things here, YMMV

Thanks.  Has anyone done a counter withdrawal at Bangkok Bank?  If so were there additional fees?  

10 hours ago, tlock said:

Since the 200 baht withdrawal fee seems static, the more I can take out at a time the better the exchange rate works out.  

Are you taking baht out of a local bank or a foreign account?  I have never been charged over 20 Baht using a non - Kasikorn bank ATM .  0 baht if using Kasikorn ATM in the city I have my account.  Last September, took out 30,000 baht from a Kasikorn ATM, out then took out another 25,000 baht from same ATM a minute later to pay my annual health insurance premium.

I'm referring to using a foreign account. 

I used my US Bank ATM card at a Krungsri ATM today.  The fee I was charged was 220 baht to withdraw 30k.  I found that I was charged $947.09 by my US bank for the transaction (which includes the 220 baht fee), which worked out to an exchange rate of 31.67 baht/dollar.   XE currency converter showed a rate of 31.95 baht/dollar at the time.  

I plugged $947.09 into transferwise and it showed I would receive 29,920 baht for the transfer.  So both methods seem roughly equivalent as a workaround to the recent Bangkok Bank ACH transfer restrictions.

2 hours ago, tlock said:

I used my US Bank ATM card at a Krungsri ATM today.  The fee I was charged was 220 baht to withdraw 30k.  I found that I was charged $947.09 by my US bank for the transaction (which includes the 220 baht fee), which worked out to an exchange rate of 31.67 baht/dollar.   XE currency converter showed a rate of 31.95 baht/dollar at the time.  

I plugged $947.09 into transferwise and it showed I would receive 29,920 baht for the transfer.  So both methods seem roughly equivalent as a workaround to the recent Bangkok Bank ACH transfer restrictions.

Nice, but there is a problem with your story....

If, as you claim the US$947.09 included the 220 baht fee, then you received a rate of 31.908 baht to the US$1 from your US Bank debit card. That would indicate that your US Bank levies no charges at all.

But.... 

*Be aware that debit card transactions made in foreign countries are charged a Foreign Transaction Fee:
2% fee if the transaction is processed in American dollars by the foreign merchant.
3% fee if the transaction is processed in a foreign currency (Euros, Pesos, etc.).

3% by the looks of it

So perhaps you used another card....

8 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

CIMB and Citibank also allow 30k per pull, though their ATMs are a lot less common.

5 hours ago, tlock said:

Thanks.  Has anyone done a counter withdrawal at Bangkok Bank?  If so were there additional fees?  

Krungsri allow over the counter withdrawals of up to 150,000 baht and no you don't have to be a customer of theirs, although there is a fee, I think it's 200 baht per go.

9 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

As a TMB customer I can say your memory re the 30k for a single withdrawal is incorrect. Their limit is 20k. However, if you are a TMB customer, you can set your own daily limit online and then make multiple withdrawals until you reach your own preset daily limit.

I have posted this several times on a few places. [[ Some sentences EDITED April 5th and April 24th to clarify ]]

IF you have a THAI BANK ACCOUNT and a AMERICAN Bank account the easiest way for ME to transfer money to Thailand is:

I go INSIDE the THAI bank where I have MY THAI bank account, I go to a teller, I give them MY FOREIGN DEBIT or FOREIGN CREDIT card with instructions to deposit the monies DIRECTLY into MY BANK ACCOUNT - at my bank they enter the money as XXXXXXTHB in the card machine.

I have found this is the easiest way and most economical way for ME. A few transfers ago, for example: At MY Thai bank I transfered 21000 THB from my US bank ( to buy a new TV ) to my "households" expense" account.

Note: I use XE Currency converter as my exchange GUIDELINE!!
XE QUOTE for 21,000THB $668.43USD ... Used as a rate comparison ONLY!!!.
MY COST for 21,000THB transfered, exchanged to THB and deposited ... $670.45USD.
This includes ALL bank fees and exchange charges. ( done in under 5 minutes ) $2.02USD TOTAL charges. I have never had total charges exceed $3.00USD over the XE Exchange rate.

*** See 1st NOTE below ***

One minute later, went outside the bank and withdrew 17,500THB at the ATM. Now I am watching my new TV, and also used it as a Android box 55 inch monitor when I wrote this - ORIGINALLY

1st NOTE: (EDITED) I have a Senior Citizen checking account in the US, this ==> IS (MIGHT was previously written)  <== (be) a factor, no bank charges except NSF checks, I have email statements.
2nd Note: (EDITED) YOUR foreign bank might have a LIMIT on money transfers - I have mine at $5,000US$ per withdraw, per week. My bank is also SUPER GOOD watching my account for "out of pattern" activities.
3rd Note: SOME Thai banks require you to do this at Customer Assistance - MIGHT be extra charges!

DO A ....TEST TRANSFER.... of 10,000THB ( suggested because it is a even number ) to compare YOUR total charges against the XE Rate

OTHER countries give it a try.

3 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

Nice, but there is a problem with your story....

If, as you claim the US$947.09 included the 220 baht fee, then you received a rate of 31.908 baht to the US$1 from your US Bank debit card. That would indicate that your US Bank levies no charges at all.

But.... 

3% by the looks of it

So perhaps you used another card....

I'm not sure what you are saying- yes I received a conversion rate of 31.908, but the net result was I was able to withdraw 30000/947.09 =  31.67.  I was just referring to the net result.  I don't get the 220 baht in my pocket :).  

Yes my US Bank levies no international ATM charges at all.  CapitalOne 360.

Edit- I noticed your fee schedule is talking about debit card transactions.  This is not a debit card transaction, for example making a purchase at Big C using the card.  It's an ATM withdrawal.

There are card limits, account limits, and machine limits. The card and account limits are personal to you, and it may or may not be possible for you to change them, and may be possible at the atm if you have additional id. Machine limits are set by the bank, and depend on location. A 7/11 site atm will have a  much lower limit than an enclosed bank cubicle, or a 5 star hotel lobby.

1 hour ago, tlock said:

I'm not sure what you are saying- yes I received a conversion rate of 31.908, but the net result was I was able to withdraw 30000/947.09 =  31.67.  I was just referring to the net result.  I don't get the 220 baht in my pocket :).  

Yes my US Bank levies no international ATM charges at all.  CapitalOne 360.

Edit- I noticed your fee schedule is talking about debit card transactions.  This is not a debit card transaction, for example making a purchase at Big C using the card.  It's an ATM withdrawal.

Next time, try to remember that US Bank is actually an entity in the USA.

https://www.usbank.com/about-us-bank.html

You wrote;

I used my US Bank ATM card at a Krungsri ATM today.

It would have been just as easy to write CapitalOne in the first instance. ????

1 hour ago, edwardflory said:

I have posted this several times on a few places. [[ Some sentences EDITED April 5th and April 24th to clarify ]]

IF you have a THAI BANK ACCOUNT and a AMERICAN Bank account the easiest way for ME to transfer money to Thailand is:

I go INSIDE the THAI bank where I have MY THAI bank account, I go to a teller, I give them MY FOREIGN DEBIT or FOREIGN CREDIT card with instructions to deposit the monies DIRECTLY into MY BANK ACCOUNT - at my bank they enter the money as XXXXXXTHB in the card machine.

I have found this is the easiest way and most economical way for ME. A few transfers ago, for example: At MY Thai bank I transfered 21000 THB from my US bank ( to buy a new TV ) to my "households" expense" account.

Note: I use XE Currency converter as my exchange GUIDELINE!!
XE QUOTE for 21,000THB $668.43USD ... Used as a rate comparison ONLY!!!.
MY COST for 21,000THB transfered, exchanged to THB and deposited ... $670.45USD.
This includes ALL bank fees and exchange charges. ( done in under 5 minutes ) $2.02USD TOTAL charges. I have never had total charges exceed $3.00USD over the XE Exchange rate.

*** See 1st NOTE below ***

One minute later, went outside the bank and withdrew 17,500THB at the ATM. Now I am watching my new TV, and also used it as a Android box 55 inch monitor when I wrote this - ORIGINALLY

1st NOTE: (EDITED) I have a Senior Citizen checking account in the US, this ==> IS (MIGHT was previously written)  <== (be) a factor, no bank charges except NSF checks, I have email statements.
2nd Note: (EDITED) YOUR foreign bank might have a LIMIT on money transfers - I have mine at $5,000US$ per withdraw, per week. My bank is also SUPER GOOD watching my account for "out of pattern" activities.
3rd Note: SOME Thai banks require you to do this at Customer Assistance - MIGHT be extra charges!

DO A ....TEST TRANSFER.... of 10,000THB ( suggested because it is a even number ) to compare YOUR total charges against the XE Rate

OTHER countries give it a try.

No need to shout. ???? Not everyone has a Thai bank account and many people already know about withdrawing over the counter. The issue may be that not everyone has a fee free CC and the ones with a fee free DC are often blocked by local banks from taking cash advances over the counter.

4 hours ago, Grusa said:

A 7/11 site atm will have a  much lower limit than an enclosed bank cubicle, or a 5 star hotel lobby.

I have never seen this in the 15 years living here. All ATMs I have used from 7-11s have the same limit as elsewhere. Maybe there some, but I never encountered this. 

7 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

I thought 20k, and you will be charged every time you withdraw money.

Bangkok bank atms 25k.

Kasikorn atms recently changed to 30k (at least in Bangkok. Dunno for other places).

In case I need some money from my home country account I use the Aeon atms, which (at least near my location!) still 'only' charge 150 baht (exchange rates are ok). Aeon atm is max 20k, but I rarely need more. 

You could try going into the bank and tell them that your card wouldn't work.

You should be able to withdraw cash using the card in the bank supported by your passport.

Not sure if the same limit applies though.

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 9:54 PM, tlock said:

Over the years I always found the ATM exchange rate to be pretty good and not worth worrying about.  Now the fees have gone up.

On 5/6/2019 at 1:20 PM, JayBird said:

I could be wrong but:

Central Pattaya, bank floor. One of the remodeled banks have new big ATMs.

I think it said 50k withdraw (each time).

Would be great to know which one in Central Festival gives out 50k as this would help a lot of people. Before the only one that would do that was Citibank in BKK but then they reduced it to 30k.

On 5/6/2019 at 7:13 PM, Farmer1956 said:

You could try going into the bank and tell them that your card wouldn't work.

You should be able to withdraw cash using the card in the bank supported by your passport.

Not sure if the same limit applies though.

Not a smart move. Counter withdrawals cost you a set fee from your home bank, usually 2.5%. Withdraw $1k and you get whacked with $25!!

Just now, bbi1 said:

Not a smart move. Counter withdrawals cost you a set fee from your home bank, usually 2.5%. Withdraw $1k and you get whacked with $25!!

Dont the home banks also make a charge for foreign ATM withdrawals ?

32 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

What an unpleasant fiction. 

Of course, only true for cards that charge fees in the first instance. Seemingly yours.

Use a fee free card if you have access to one. Many have and do. No charges at all.

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Dont the home banks also make a charge for foreign ATM withdrawals ?

Sure, $2.50 in my case. Way less than 2.5% of the amount taken out. Way less than $25 per $1k or $50 per $2k!

11 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Sure, $2.50 in my case. Way less than 2.5% of the amount taken out. Way less than $25 per $1k or $50 per $2k!

That's just your case. Don't extrapolate it to everyone. Find a better piece of plastic.

Paypal Xoom

Has anyone here tried Paypal Xoom?  Seems almost too good to be true.  You can transfer up to 170,000 baht and only get charged Around 125 baht no matter what amount you transfer.  If you transfer a large amount it works out to be much cheaper than using any ATM machine, avoiding those ridiculous 220 baht bank fees for every transaction.  I believe you can pick up the money at any of the government savings banks or a SCB bank but am not positive since I have yet to try it.

https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/mpp/send-money-abroad?_rt=pyp-ca-email-feb

Archived