UK's May fires defence secretary over Huawei leak

webfact

UK's May fires defence secretary over Huawei leak

By David Milliken and Elizabeth Piper

2019-05-01T215727Z_2_LYNXNPEF403FF_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-POLITICS-WILLIAMSON.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Britain's Secretary of State for Defence Gavin Williamson is seen outside Downing Street in London, Britain, April 2, 2019. REUTERS/Alkis Konstantinidis/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) - British Prime Minister Theresa May fired her defence minister on Wednesday over a leak of discussions in the National Security Council about Chinese telecoms company Huawei, the latest of her allies to be ousted from government.

The sudden dismissal of Gavin Williamson, who "strenuously" denied involvement in the leak, was another blow for May, whose own premiership hangs by a thread after her failure so far to usher Britain smoothly out of the European Union.

The firing also underlined how seriously her team treated the leak from the National Security Council, which discusses Britain's national security, intelligence coordination and defence strategy, and involves only certain ministers from her cabinet to keep its talks as secret as possible.

That secrecy was broken last month when the Telegraph newspaper reported Britain would allow Huawei a role in building parts of its 5G network, setting London at odds with Washington over the next generation of communications technology.

Sources were forced to say that the role would be limited.

In a letter to Williamson, May wrote that an investigation into the leaks had provided "compelling evidence suggesting your responsibility for the unauthorised disclosure".

"No other, credible version of events to explain this leak has been identified," she added after putting the "latest information from the investigation" to Williamson earlier on Wednesday.

Williamson, who rose quickly up the ranks of the governing Conservative Party after backing May to become prime minister in 2016, denied responsibility.

"I am sorry that you feel recent leaks from the National Security Council originated in my department. I emphatically believe this was not the case."

"I strenuously deny that I was in any way involved in this leak and I am confident that a thorough and formal inquiry would have vindicated my position."

May appointed international development minister Penny Mordaunt to succeed Williamson as defence secretary, and named prisons minister Rory Stewart to Mordaunt's former role. Mordaunt will be Britain's first woman defence minister.

May has overseen several departures in her cabinet, with many quitting rather than being pushed.

One notable exception was Boris Johnson, now one of her strongest rivals, who quit last year in protest at her plans to keep close trade ties with the European Union after Britain leaves the bloc, stirring rebellion in her party’s ranks.

'CRISIS'

For some in the Conservative Party, Williamson was an odd choice for defence minister after his predecessor, Michael Fallon, quit in a sexual harassment scandal in 2017.

Best known for his role as chief whip, the Conservatives' parliamentary enforcer, Williamson coaxed lawmakers to toe the party line, sometimes by introducing them to his pet tarantula Cronus, named after the god of time who swallowed each of his children according to Greek mythology.

Many in the Conservative Party felt his promotion to defence minister was little more than a prize for his role as whip, which included brokering a deal with Northern Ireland's Democratic Unionist Party to prop up May's government.

He caused a stir last year when he told Russia to shut up and go away after a nerve agent attack on a former Russian double agent in the English city of Salisbury.

His colleague, foreign minister Jeremy Hunt, said he was sorry over Williamson's firing "but given the gravity of the situation there was no other alternative outcome," the Press Association quoted Hunt as saying as he arrived in Addis Ababa.

Opposition parties called for a criminal investigation into the leak, with the main opposition Labour Party describing the Conservative government as chaotic and "incapable of sorting out their own crisis".

"Conservative infighting has undermined the basic functioning of government, and has now potentially put security at risk. The police must urgently investigate," Nia Griffiths, Labour's defence policy chief, said in a statement after Williamson was fired.

For many Conservatives, the National Security Council leak increased doubts over how much control May had over her ministers after she offered to resign if lawmakers backed the Brexit deal she reached last year with the EU.

They did not back it and she has yet to win its approval after asking parliament three times.

Last week the culture minister, Jeremy Wright, said leaks from the NSC endangered the ability of the committee, which is made up of senior ministers and hears regularly from intelligence agency bosses, to get unequivocal and frank security advice from experts.

Huawei, the world's biggest producer of telecoms equipment, is under intense scrutiny after the United States told allies not to use its technology because of concerns it could be a vehicle for Chinese spying.

Huawei has categorically denied this.

(Reporting by David Milliken and Elisabeth O'Leary; Writing by Elizabeth Piper; Editing by Peter Graff and Frances Kerry)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-05-02

If Williamson has leaked, he is in breach of the Official Secrets Act and should be arrested and prosecuted. Or, maybe, saying he leaked is just an excuse to be rid of him. It should also be noted that he was sacked because he declined to resign.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Huawei, the world's biggest producer of telecoms equipment, is under intense scrutiny after the United States told allies not to use its technology because of concerns it could be a vehicle for Chinese spying.

Were pigs flying past the window when whoever it was said that?

It's all very murkey, but seems that Huawei was being allowed to build part of the UK system despite being warned against doing so, and he came out on the no side. Whether he did leak or not, it was probably the excuse May needed to install someone that will go along with Huawei. 

May's days have to be numbered, as she is just too pants to carry on much longer, IMO.

Sooner she is gone the better. Hope Boris is the next PM. Good entertainment factor.

1 hour ago, Thingamabob said:

I don't believe anything May says. She lies endlessly, and is only concerned in occupying No.10, with her creep husband, for as long as possible. Awful woman.

Rather unjustified, Philip May has been better behaved than the only other male spouse of a UK Prime Minister. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, shackleton said:

This guy was born in the wrong Century  had visions of the good old days of British Empire 

Threatening the Russians and Chinese with our military might 

Carriers with no planes ect

Good job he is gone plus a few more should accompany him as well from the Current Government 

Britain may have no military might to speak of, but that is hardly his fault. It has been emasculated since BAOR ceased to exist, and that was long ago.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Basil B said:

Rather unjustified, Philip May has been better behaved than the only other male spouse of a UK Prime Minister. 

Not true. This is far worse. Raging ambition predominates.

5 hours ago, sungod said:

Sadly when you look at Comrade Corbyn and his side kick Diane (the mathematician ) Abbot we dont even have a genuine alternative.

Did you know they were once lovers?

Sorry, hope you had your dinner already ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This stinks of Perception Management BIG TIME.
terressa the appeasa has totally lost it.
I sincerely hope that the police do investigate as I strongly suspect that Williamson will have NO CASE to answer.
Rather STRANGE that the appeesa has stated that the matter is CLOSED!!!
Time to go evita..or will you wait till friday pm to be sacked???

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Britain may have no military might to speak of, but that is hardly his fault. It has been emasculated since BAOR ceased to exist, and that was long ago.

Ten nuclear-powered submarines ain't bad. 

• Like 1

I would love to hear Rees Mogg and his alike's comments on this matter. I'd love to hear that whiteball brexiter's who wished to become the next PM of UK, comments of these kind of serious matters. 

I suppose their comments are simply not available. They don't think about national security, they don't think about global security. They think only about themselves. 

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

How lovely, UK can singlehandedly destroy the life on Earth. 

Now tell me a reason I should respect that ability? 

.. while it's probably difficult for you to understand, the logic is; if I threaten that power, I hold that same power by my hands. 

13 hours ago, baboon said:
14 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I doubt they will be giving our foes any sleepless nights.

Yeah the dosh spent on them deters knife wielding people and people carrying AK47's.  

13 hours ago, oilinki said:

Now tell me a reason I should respect that ability? 

You wouldn't understand my logic, I don't respect UK money spent on mass destructive weapons let the loony US gov do that.

The UK govs backing of the US suspicion on Russia and China is total nonsense and the UK should be the lead for talking common sense but no Iran next.