Are scooters considered to be poor man's transportation?

6 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Well if you're going on statistics you'd be better off staying home all day

Nah, I will be ok. 

wrapped in cotton wool.

Cotton wool doesn’t cut it for me. Steel panels, airbags, air con, stereo.

Or probably safer still staying in your home country and checking into an old people's home, abstaining from red meat/alcohol and eating boiled vegetables 3 times a day with your vitamin supplements.

You are are better off steaming your vegies.

If I had to travel everywhere using my car I'd lose about 10 hours per week stuck in traffic and be fairly miserable. I'd lose out on track days, touring, convenient transportation and a lot of enjoyment associated with bike ownership. I'd rather enjoy my life than always choosing the statistically safest option, but each to their own.

Sorry I am not a real man like you. Do you wear a tie and shirt when driving your scooter? It is a great look. 

I have a very pretty face and mum said she didn’t want me on a bike because I might ruin it.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I realize riding a motorbike in Thailand does require a certain amount of skill and testicular fortitude, 

Oh I get you now. Prancing around on your little red ninja 250 makes you think you have “testicular fortitude”.

I will stick with my airconditioned v8.

A consultant riding his scooter to work in the heat. No thanks. I will just relax by my pool. 

The sad thing is many people die in Thailand on bikes because they simply couldn’t afford to buy a car. The pay rates here are measly.

Edited by RobMuir
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

Oh I get you now. Prancing around on your little red ninja 250 makes you think you have “testicular fortitude”.

I will stick with my airconditioned v8.

A consultant riding his scooter to work in the heat. No thanks. I will just relax by my pool. 

The sad thing is many people die in Thailand on bikes because they simply couldn’t afford to buy a car. The pay rates here are measly.

So many assumptions, so many mistakes.

1.     I'm not consulting any more, this was a decade ago. However, living in Phuket and doing a week's consulting per month in Bangkok was a nice lifestyle and I really enjoyed it.

2.    Red Ninja? Are you referring to my 899 Panigale in my profile pic?

3.    Pay rates are measly? Not if you're on an expat package working for a large multinational.

Enjoy the pool, hope it's not too risky for you. ????

Image result for paddling pool

• Haha 2

I use the scooter for going to the village market or going to see friends in the village. However when travelling out of the village I will always use the car. I prefer comfort and safety over using the scooter to get sunburn! inhaling traffic fumes ,insects in the eyes ,getting hot and sweaty and possibly getting knocked off .

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nordude said:

What I don't get, is why wealthy Thais don't buy luxury scooters.

Wealthy Thais in Bangkok might well buy and ride scoots, bicycles in Bangkok but who knows who.

Wealthy people mid-north where I live do.

Stick a BMW or Merc badge on your scooter. ????

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RobMuir said:

I drive a car. Not because of the status. But because of air conditioning, the stereo, the airbags, the comfy seats, I can carry a lot of stuff, 5 people etc. and I can go a lot faster. 

I only have one life, I don’t want to end it splattered on a hot road. Have a car crash I just pay to fix the car, have a crash on a bike and likely death or serious injury and a lot of pain and scarring.

I do laugh to myself when I see a farang in pants and and a shirt, tie etc riding a motorbike, sweat pouring off them, wet patches under the arms, on their backs, and I wonder how bad they smell when arriving to their low paying jobs.

I assume they are English teachers. 

And they have a laugh at you stuck in traffic for hours while they've been at their destination in time to cool off and drink an iced coffee.

For ferangs it's about personal priorities - I use my car for out of city trips and to get to business meetings, for everything else I use the bike.  Over a year I probably gain a month of productive life compared to an habitual car user.

For many Thais it's all about perceived status and practicality is irrelevant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

And they have a laugh at you stuck in traffic for hours while they've been at their destination in time to cool off and drink an iced coffee.

I don’t work, so have no reason to be stuck in traffic for hours. 

Prefer a cold beer to a coffee with ice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

1.     I'm not consulting any more, this was a decade ago. However, living in Phuket and doing a week's consulting per month in Bangkok was a nice lifestyle

Why hey are you telling me your life story?

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

and I really enjoyed it.

Yes, everybody loves going to work. 

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

2.    Red Ninja? Are you referring to my 899 Panigale in my profile pic?

If I had a bike it would be a Harley, not a little jap toy buzz box.

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

3.    Pay rates are measly? Not if you're on an expat package working for a large multinational.

Yeah right. McDonald’s? If it was a large multi national I probably am a shareholder. Thanks for your good work. 

So how much were we paying you?

Most middle tier workers in Thailand get picked up by the company car/ driver. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, RobMuir said:

Why hey are you telling me your life story?

Yes, everybody loves going to work. 

If I had a bike it would be a Harley, not a little jap toy buzz box.

Yeah right. McDonald’s? If it was a large multi national I probably am a shareholder. Thanks for your good work. 

So how much were we paying you?

Most middle tier workers in Thailand get picked up by the company car/ driver. 

So let me get this right. You're too scared to ever ride a scooter but if you bought a bike it would be a Harley. You think a Ninja 250 is a scooter. You then think my profile pic is a red Ninja 250 and then when I point out it's a Ducati you state that you wouldn't ride a Jap toy buzz box. You own a V8 and are currently sitting by your pool, and you own shares in the majority of large multi-nationals ????.

Jog on ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

So let me get this right. You're too scared to ever ride a scooter but if you bought a bike it would be a Harley. You think a Ninja 250 is a scooter. You then think my profile pic is a red Ninja 250 and then when I point out it's a Ducati you state that you wouldn't ride a Jap toy buzz box. You own a V8 and are currently sitting by your pool, and you own shares in the majority of large multi-nationals ????.

Jog on ????

Yes Jonny he's just another windup merchant pay no heed,but it is a sad fact that there are far too many like that on the internet in general

• Like 1

I have a Prius Hybrid and a PCX. I use the Prius once a month maybe! Otherwise I can't be bothered driving in Bangkok! I'd rather get somewhere in 5 minutes than 45 minutes but Thais seemed quite content to sit in a air-con car for an hour or more. 

But then again if I had kids I would probably bite the bullet and always use the car for safety reasons. 

My girlfriend drives a Mercedes Benz but when she comes to visit me we often ride on the PCX so she doesn't seem to care. 

Sometimes if we are going out all dressed up then we will take a taxi. I just really hate driving a car in Bangkok! ????

It's an interesting question but I suspect, as others have already, that it is considered more loso to ride a motorcycle. 

At the end of the day I don't really care what people think as long as I get to where I'm going on time! ????

• Like 2

Nice to be retired, financially comfortable (rich by no means) and basically free from caring about others judgment. Love to ride the Aerox but handy to have the car for long, hot or wet trips. Om ....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

So let me get this right. You're too scared to ever ride a scooter but if you bought a bike it would be a Harley.

Correct

I would still be scared but at least I wouldn’t be embarrassed by riding a bike called a “ninja”

You think a Ninja 250 is a scooter.

Pretty much just a tarted up scooter.

You then think my profile pic is a red Ninja 250 and then when I point out it's a Ducati you state that you wouldn't ride a Jap toy buzz box.

Correct.

Ducatis are made in Thailand, not Japan. I forgot.

You own a V8 and are currently sitting by your pool, and you own shares in the majority of large multi-nationals ????.

Correct. Well, two v8s actually. 

Do you know what an ETF is?

Educate yourself about them.

It will save you from having to ride your scooter to work in the Bangkok heat, rain, smog and traffic and all the Thais wondering why you are so poor, which is what the OP was asking.

You didn’t answer how much we were paying you.

• Sad 1

hmm more sort of the ignorant choice, 

people are unable to walk in a shopping demonstrating concern or curtesy for their fellow humans, translate that to a road with a bit of power in your hands and there is no winner

now put yourself in a steel cage -the stronger the better- and you have a winning hand.

unashamedly make my way through traffic using motorbikes as a means to make space 

23 minutes ago, Randell said:

Yes Jonny he's just another windup merchant pay no heed,but it is a sad fact that there are far too many like that on the internet in general

Read my first comment. Just giving my honest, well balanced opinion about comfort and safety.

Then little Jonny got all excited telling me I should be wrapped up in cotton wool in an old persons home and that his balls are bigger than mine because he rides a ninja to work

And sends me a photo of an infant in a pool.

Who exactly is the wind up merchant?

• Sad 1

I would guess that very wealthy Thai consider most farang to be poor... 

If you saw someone going to work on a vespa and another in a chauffeur driven mercedes, what would you think?

Though truthfully, I doubt they give you much of a thought at all. 

• Like 1

I ride a scooter every day to work (weather permitting) and also wear the occasional suit and tie on it. I have no problem with the heat as I am able to control the sweating effectively. The practicality far outweighs the heat. I can go to any point in the city center at any time of day from Chatuchak area within 30-40 minutes. Impossible with a car. 

Yes, it is definitely considered a poor man's ride. I get a few stares when I park in the underground level of our Big 4 audit company alongside all the messenger boys, but hey, I don't have a self-esteem problem. I will also be at home earlier after the meeting than any of my Thai colleagues.

I also own and drive a car but mostly for weekends outside of Bangkok and shopping.

Another point why Thai middle class will not drive motorcycles is because they believe them to be too dangerous and thus prefer to be stuck in traffic in an air-conditioned space sipping on their bubble teas. Not for me though, I value my time more than anything.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kinnock said:

All to do with status.

Not really.  Pretty much all scooter drivers would rather be in a car....although I recognize a few have both.  The comfort, A/C, less prone to serious injury in an accident, hair not messed-up, the sun beating down on you, the rain beating down on you, carry more stuff....etc.  All this beats the convenience of parking and speed of arrival.  In general, people who can afford a car will have one.  And that's what everybody assumes. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1