Local elections deliver Brexit bashing for Britain's May and opposition

rooster59

Just now, nauseus said:

With all the BS that has happened over the last 3 years how can anyone answer that?

Again, what odds would you give on us leaving this year?

1 minute ago, nauseus said:

Well obviously a when would depend on an if.... if it's an if that is?

You're softening. Already you're giving consideration to the possibility that we may not be leaving. Good man.

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I am up to date, the fact that you fail to grasp, is that if, as Brexiteers keep telling us, we will be leaving the EU shortly, electing British MEPs would be a completely pointless exercise. Can you grasp that?

Of course it is a waste of time and I agree with you.

Now who decided that the UK should hold this election?

Why of course it was your wonderful EU that decided it 

The UK doesn't want it, the EU doesn't want the UK to have it, but ALL member countries, without exception HAVE to hold the election.

Now because the UK is still a member of the EU it MUST hold the election or fall foul of  EU laws imposed on the UK, if it is still in the EU on 23rd May. The only reason for the UK NOT to hold EU elections would be to have completed Brexit by 22 May.

Can you grasp that simple fact?

Edited by billd766
Edited for bad spelling after I had posted it
  • Like 2

Just now, nauseus said:

What do you mean, again? First time you've asked that!

So I'll give it 50/50.

Thanks. I asked the question to another poster.

If you concede that there's a 50% chance that we won't leave before the end of the year, which would require the revocation of Article 50, it's tantamount to saying that we won't leave anytime in the near future.

Interestingly, my answer to the same question would be the same.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

Of course it is a waste of time and I agree with you.

Now who decided that the UK should hold this election?

Why of course it was yourful EU that decided it 

The UK doesn't want it, the EU doesn't want it but ALL member countries, without exception HAVE to hold the election.

Now because the UK is still a member of the EU it MUST hold the election or fall foul of  EU laws imposed on the UK, if it is still in the EU on 23rd May. The only reason for the UK NOT to hold EU elections would be to have completed Brexit by 22 May.

Can you grasp that simple fact?

Of course. But the chances are zero of resolving the issue before 22nd May. So the elections will take place.

The law wasn't imposed on the UK, like every other EU member, we agreed to it. No one decided to hold this election, rules is rules.

8 minutes ago, Spidey said:

If you concede that there's a 50% chance that we won't leave before the end of the year, which would require the revocation of Article 50, it's tantamount to saying that we won't leave anytime in the near future.

No, wrong again, you asked me. You are so off the ball today! 

And that is tantamount to saying that there is a 50% chance that we won't leave anytime in the near future. And I did not say that would involve revocation of A 50.  

Edited by nauseus
  • Like 1

Maybe the whole "Westminster System" needs an overhaul to make it possible

for the House of Commons to get on with some real work & stop the squabbling amongst themselves for themselves not the good of the country

6 minutes ago, sanemax said:

5/1 leaving with a deal, (not leaving )

250 /1 leaving , properly leaving , with no deal 

Excuse my maths but doesn't that mean that the odds on leaving at all would be slightly less than 5/1, which would make remaining heavily odds on. Even I, as a remainer, wouldn't stack the odds that heavily in favour of remain!

I think I might have a little flutter on the 5/1.

20 minutes ago, nauseus said:

What do you mean, again? First time you've asked that!

So I'll give it 50/50.

Well the odds by a well known UK bookmaker are:

Yes = 4/7  No = 5/4

(other bookmakers may offer different odds)

Edited by Basil B

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

Excuse my maths but doesn't that mean that the odds on leaving at all would be slightly less than 5/1, which would make remaining heavily odds on. Even I, as a remainer, wouldn't stack the odds that heavily in favour of remain!

I think I might have a little flutter on the 5/1.

The Politicians have already voted that we will not be leaving .

Theres the possibility that they will all get voted out themselves and the new lot will enable us to leave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Spidey said:

What odds would you give on us leaving this year?

20 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Again, what odds would you give on us leaving this year?

7 minutes ago, nauseus said:

No, wrong again, you asked me. You are so off the ball today! 

And that is tantamount to saying that there is a 50% chance that we won't leave anytime in the near future. And I did not say that would involve revocation of A 50.  

"And I did not say that would involve revocation of A 50." No, I did. How else could remain in Europe until next year without revoking Article 50?  

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

The Politicians have already voted that we will not be leaving .

Theres the possibility that they will all get voted out themselves and the new lot will enable us to leave 

The next scheduled election is 2022. I can't see the Tories bringing the date forward. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas. The Brexit issue will be long over and done with before then.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2019 at 5:15 AM, rooster59 said:

The BBC projected that, if the local election results were replicated across Britain, both the Conservatives and Labour would get 28 percent of the total vote.

Compared to 82.4% at the last General Election:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_United_Kingdom_general_election

"In a surprising result, the Conservative Party made a net loss of 13 seats with 42.4% of the vote (its highest share of the vote since 1983), whereas Labour made a net gain of 30 seats with 40.0% (its highest vote share since 2001 and the first time the party had gained seats since 1997)."

Personally I remain to be convinced that the Tory/Labour duopoly would actually be broken under the "first past the post" voting system at the next General Election (whenever that might be), to the same dramatic extent that the BBC are projecting.

• Like 1

When do you think that we are leaving (that question goes to [mention=41816]transam[/mention] and [mention=194534]malagateddy[/mention] too).
Oh well..whenever I say we do..too busy to set a just now..I want my troops in place over at brussels hq to extract the urine out of likes of drunkard..the fat putty faced oddity from belguim etc.
Will let you know in due course..will be lovely surprise.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Spidey said:

"And I did not say that would involve revocation of A 50." No, I did. How else could remain in Europe until next year without revoking Article 50?  

Spidey posted:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, transam said:

Really, are you referring to my shed.....????

Oh, so Portugal has stated you will have nooooo problems...

The UK said the people will have their Brexit in March this year...????

But your a ....

the people didnt have their brexit,wake up 

2 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

We all know that..but he is s BRIT

OMG!

He wore the budgie smugglers to please his German wife.

When people tell you jokes, do you always have to have the punch line explained to you?

You must be a barrel of laughs in the pub. No wonder you've got no mates.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, nauseus said:

People are already tired of it. That's why the BP will do much better than you think.

they may do well at the trivial EU elections but by time the GE comes around folks wont be up for another 5 years of chaos,10-15% of the vote wont win an election and handful of MPs at best,their best chances are in the staunch Labour strongholds of the north similar to my area and Labour are in the blood of many of these people Corbyn or no Corbyn

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bomber said:

they may do well at the trivial EU elections but by time the GE comes around folks wont be up for another 5 years of chaos,10-15% of the vote wont win an election and handful of MPs at best,their best chances are in the staunch Labour strongholds of the north similar to my area and Labour are in the blood of many of these people Corbyn or no Corbyn

Yeh, we all WoW at Corbyns side kick.....????

• Like 1

5 hours ago, malagateddy said:

Seasonal summer work of course..the Algarve is a lovely tourist attraction.

i will keep a look out for any office staff vacancies in case your wife fancies a working holiday,maybe we could meet up for a beer or a wine,prices are cheaper than issan,dont worry bomber will pay you wont have to bring your own buckie or siam sato.

• Confused 2

5 hours ago, Spidey said:

Elections for MEPs have always been a damp sqib. Very low turnouts, mainly by people with extreme views.

Farage may or may not preform well in the Euro elections, it's in no way a representation of the feelings of the general public. The outcome will be ignored, just as it always has been. An irrelevance.

which area is tommy standing in?