Thai Address Confirmation for UK Off-shore Bank

I'm having some hassle with my Barclays Isle of Man offshore bank account.

They want proof of my residential address in Thailand - easy, you might think but not so!

The list of 'approved' ways to prove my address is very short and largely irrelevant to someone not resident in UK, which is not very clever for a bank that purports to be an international organisation but that's by the by.

I have already been round the loop once, providing current UK investment statements but this has been rejected on the basis that the documentation was not from a bank or building society.  Apparently, investment houses do not qualify as financial institutions!!

Bank statements are acceptable - but not from Barclays and I have no other accounts with UK banks.  I have accounts here in Thailand, for which I could provide statements, but not in English so not acceptable.

Ditto for utility bills so ToT or PEA or PWA are not acceptable.

I wondered about getting Immigration to provide a residence certificate but, again, the document that they produce is in Thai only so no use.

I believe that the BE could provide something but this would involve a trip to Bangkok and, no doubt would cost a fair bit, the BE being what they are.  You can't just turn up either - have to make an appointment.  What a PITA!

I really don't want to go down the route of getting translations made and certified - that would be a nightmare!

So, I would be happy to hear of any suggestions that anyone might have because I'm out of options.  

Any input gratefully received.

Thanks

ask if can accept a certified translation of utility bill plus original. a local lawyer can do this for around 500-1000 baht.

this was acceptable for standard bank, lloyds and hsbc offshores and also IB, saxo offshore investment accounts (pea electric bill in my case)

if not ask them why they expect utility bills to be in english considering you LIVE IN THAILAND and they use THAI LANGUAGE! can they provide bank statements in thai for use here?

that usually forces their hand ????

caveat: your name should of course be on the bill and would normally be in english

Edited by GeorgeCross

I had a similar problem with Lloyds IoM, proving both my Thai address and my wife's dual nationality (joint account).

I went down your "nightmare" route, which in fact proved to be very easy.

I used a firm in Bangkok who did a "one-stop" translation of bank account, certified it as a true translation and then "belt and braces" sealed and notarised the translation.

They accepted and returned documents via EMS so no need to run up to Bangkok.

3 day service.

Sent to Lloyds in Douglas, and "Bob's your uncle".

• Like 2

Can't you just use the Thai Bank statements or credit card statement and have it certified by a Thai Notarial services lawyer.

I have not dealt with IOM but Barclays UK and Halifax UK accepted these notarised/certified copies of Thai bank documents.

Is your name in English or Thai on the Thai bank statement?

You could always ask the Barclays rep in IOM if that would be acceptable.

Edited by userabcd

Thanks for the replies.

I shall be phoning them to try to get clarification - but will probably end up talking to someone in Mumbai!

Maybe the certified translation route is the way to go.  Just have to find someone in Pattaya that can oblige.  I do have a tame lawyer that I sometimes use but he doesn't do translations.

Any suggestions in Pattaya - preferably Dark Side?

2 minutes ago, userabcd said:

Can't you just use the Thai Bank statements or credit card statement and have it certified by a Thai Notarial services lawyer.

I have not dealt with IOM but Barclays UK and Halifax UK accepted these notarised/certified copies of Thai bank documents.

Is your name in English or Thai on the Thai bank statement?

You could always ask the Barclays rep in IOM if that would be acceptable.

Name is in English but my address does not appear on the statements that I can download from the online apps.  No doubt the Thai banks could provide a statement that includes the address, if asked, similar to that which they provide for Immigration for extension renewals.

Not Dark Side, but try Euro Thai Law, opposite side entrance to Big C at Suk / South Pattaya junction. I have had a number of docs notarised by a Thai registered Notary. Ms Rena is the contact and cost about Bt500/page.

I had this issue with NatWest offshore about a year ago. I phoned them up and asked what docs as proof of address would be acceptable before I went and wasted money doing them. They replied that they had since changed their requirements and now as proof of address they would simply courier me at the address in Thailand a form to sign and return to them. I got the form via Fedex and returned it registered post which they got 10 days later. Still took them another 4 months to approve it due to the long queue of verifications.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, doctormann said:

Name is in English but my address does not appear on the statements that I can download from the online apps.  No doubt the Thai banks could provide a statement that includes the address, if asked, similar to that which they provide for Immigration for extension renewals.

We went into the Thai bank and explained we needed a bank statement with name and address, they printed it off on their letterhead with name and addresses with their original signature and stamp. We took the statement to a Thai Notary services lawyer in Bangkok who stamped and certified the doc and provided a small covering letter certifying the original doc and explaining the content and the address in English. We paid 1000 baht per page.

Edited by userabcd
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, dabhand said:

Not Dark Side, but try Euro Thai Law, opposite side entrance to Big C at Suk / South Pattaya junction. I have had a number of docs notarised by a Thai registered Notary. Ms Rena is the contact and cost about Bt500/page.

OK, that's fairly convenient.  I'll pop in next week, once all the coronation stuff is out of the way.

4 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

I had this issue with NatWest offshore about a year ago. I phoned them up and asked what docs as proof of address would be acceptable before I went and wasted money doing them. They replied that they had since changed their requirements and now as proof of address they would simply courier me at the address in Thailand a form to sign and return to them. I got the form via Fedex and returned it registered post which they got 10 days later. Still took them another 4 months to approve it due to the long queue of verifications.

That sounds eminently sensible - if only Barclays would do this there wouldn't be a problem!

3 hours ago, doctormann said:

I really don't want to go down the route of getting translations made and certified - that would be a nightmare!

I didn't find it a nightmare getting translations but anyway have you tried using your Thai driving licence, works for me.

Edited by Kwasaki

LLoyds Offshore (Isle of Man) accepted a "letter of employment" from my employer, in English and confirming my address in Thailand, this was a few years ago and things may have changed, but if you're employed then it's worth a look.

At a different time my Luxembourg bank were being awkward but finally accepted a letter confirming my address from the local Ampur office (in Thai, I paid for a translation). It took the office over an hour to produce but came with all sorts of impressive official stamps and seals, it cost a massive zero Baht (Puyai Baan who organised it got a bottle of an alcoholic beverage).

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I didn't find it a nightmare getting translations but anyway have you tried using your Thai driving licence, works for me.

My Thai DL has my address on it - in a very small font - but it's in Thai so the bank won't accept it.  If it worked for you, which bank and did you not need a translation?

Getting anything translated means a trip down to the centre of Pattaya and believe me, that is a nightmare!

• Haha 1

Just now, doctormann said:

Getting anything translated means a trip down to the centre of Pattaya and believe me, that is a nightmare!

Your local bike-taxi guys will likely buzz the documents to your chosen translator and bring the results back for a nominal fee.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, doctormann said:

My Thai DL has my address on it - in a very small font - but it's in Thai so the bank won't accept it.  If it worked for you, which bank and did you not need a translation?

My 5 year Thai DL has my address in Thai & in English.

Did you get your fake DL in Pattaya. ????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

LLoyds Offshore (Isle of Man) accepted a "letter of employment" from my employer, in English and confirming my address in Thailand, this was a few years ago and things may have changed, but if you're employed then it's worth a look.

At a different time my Luxembourg bank were being awkward but finally accepted a letter confirming my address from the local Ampur office (in Thai, I paid for a translation). It took the office over an hour to produce but came with all sorts of impressive official stamps and seals, it cost a massive zero Baht (Puyai Baan who organised it got a bottle of an alcoholic beverage).

Retired, I'm afraid.

it really is getting to be a right PITA getting anything done with UK financial institutions now, because of the money laundering regulations.  I've lost count of the number of times that I've had to verify my existence, needing passport copies and various address confirmation documents.

Barclays seem to be being very picky, not accepting investment statements as proof of address.  This has not been a problem with any other institution that I've had dealings with.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, doctormann said:

There are several translation companies where you don't have to attend in person. This is because they do not need to see the original document. Often you can email them a photo of the document and pay through bank transfer. The translation company will then post the translation back to you via EMS. No need to go anywhere, and you can use a service outside of your local area if you want.

I've used Express Translations a few times. I'm not endorsing them, but they have always been ok for me.

http://www.expresstranslationservice.com/cms.php?id_cms=6

9 minutes ago, blackcab said:

There are several translation companies where you don't have to attend in person. This is because they do not need to see the original document. Often you can email them a photo of the document and pay through bank transfer. The translation company will then post the translation back to you via EMS. No need to go anywhere, and you can use a service outside of your local area if you want.

I've used Express Translations a few times. I'm not endorsing them, but they have always been ok for me.

http://www.expresstranslationservice.com/cms.php?id_cms=6

Thanks

15 minutes ago, doctormann said:

No, it's a real 5 year one from Pataya but the address is only in Thai.

That's weird I'm on my 2nd issued 5 year Thai DL both had my address in English.

Must be the Pattaya DLT doing things different.

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

That's weird I'm on my 2nd issued 5 year Thai DL both had my address in English.

Must be the Pattaya DLT doing things different.

Well, as you know, TiT so every office makes it up as they go along!

I had a similar issue when setting up an offshore corp and both Karsikorn bank and Siam commercial(both Pattaya) change my address to English in the Database. If I remember correct Siam took few days as changes were done from Bangkok, so it was easy to get done.I used Siam Legal to get it notarized and they also did some translation of my TOT bill that was accepted at that time for my offshore setup.

• Thanks 1

I had this runaround from Natwest a few years back. They ended up accepting a notarized translation of my Thai DL (issued in Udon Thani with no English address). I had this done at a law office on Naklua Soi 12 who has done loads of notarial and translation work for myself and acquaintances over the past 15 years or so.

EQUITY INTERNATIONAL LAW OFFICE
284/69 Moo 5 Soi 12
Pattaya – Naklua Road
Naklua, Banglamung
Chonburi 20150
Tel 038 225427
Fax 038 225428

MR THANAKORN RAJRONGMUANG, Attorney
General Practice in criminal, civil, family cases and Notary Public.
English speaking lawyer.

Regards this KYC (Know Your Customer) routine that all UK offshore banks need to comply with, it appears Barclays IoM are late to the ball? The banks usually outsource this work to 3rd party companies, hence the ridiculous, un-provable providence they require. The recent post here about calling NWO a year ago and getting the couriered self-certification document looks like they finally got their act together. Mind you, after three false trails and dead-ends beforehand, I called them to confirm that they had received my documents as above since I had learned a DHL online proof of delivery meant bugger all. The girl I spoke to said yes and they would now be submitted to the review panel. So after all that, I still had no assurances that the matter was closed.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, doctormann said:

No chance of that in my dire financial straits!

yeah me too, from a friend who asked if they would pop round the corner and speak to me, only ifyou have so many $$ to invest

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, doctormann said:

I wondered about getting Immigration to provide a residence certificate but, again, the document that they produce is in Thai only so no use.

As far as I know Jomtien immigration will issue residence certificates in English on request. A friend of mine got one a few months back.

• Thanks 1

UPDATE

Well, I am amazed and somewhat relieved.

I just got off the phone, talking to Barclays in the IoM.  That's amazing in itself that they actually work Sundays even if it's not a 24 hour service, as they claim!

Anyway, having discussed the issue with a very helpful chap, it seems that they will accept a utility bill with the address in Thai as they will get their own translators to anglicize the address.  This will save me some hassle so I'll deal with it after tomorrow's holiday.

Of course, the proof of the pudding ...

Fingers crossed but I won't find out for months anyway.  The last time i went round the loop was last Autumn and I only found out last Friday that my 'proof of address' had been rejected.

Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions.

On 5/4/2019 at 7:27 PM, KittenKong said:

As far as I know Jomtien immigration will issue residence certificates in English on request. A friend of mine got one a few months back.

stopped end of october 2018. now in Thai only.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Naam said:

stopped end of october 2018. now in Thai only.

My friend was lucky then. He cant have got his much before that.

Shame as it was quite an easy and cheap way of getting proof of address for banks etc.