Recommended air purifier?

Captor

And what can you say about the Winix BAC 9500 air purifier? I have already read quite a lot of good reviews. And if I understood everything correctly, it is suitable for houses where there are sharp smells (cigarette smoke, for example) or where pets live. This air  purifier also looks quite modern in my opinion.

Never tried.

But I have read good reviews about Winix before. It has a activated carbon filter so it should help against smells. And it has a True Hepa filter for the particles. Looks good specs to same as the Coway which I think look more modern and designed though.

I have several air purifiers in my home. My most favorite one is a Kenmore that was purchased from Sears. It is amazing. My husband and I allow ourselves a few pieces of bacon for Sunday breakfast and once I turn on the purifier the odor is completely gone from the house within just a short time. We do not smoke so I can't attest to how well it works on that, but we do use it when we have our fireplace insert running because we have a bird. It really removes the smoke odor immediately. That particular purifier was very expensive but well worth the cost.

In my pig's room and also in our bedroom we have Honeywell purifiers. We purchased them from Amazon and have been really pleased. The model number is HPA160 series. They contain a Hepa Tower Allergen Remover and cover 170 sq. ft.
I'm afraid I can't quite remember how much we paid for them. I know there are less expensive models available but I feel quite often it's a matter of getting what you paid for. I would rather pay a little more and have it work nicely.

I'm sorry you have to have that unfortunate situation with your neighbor. I cannot tolerate the odor of cigarette smoke. I think you will find that an air purifier will help quite a bit with the smoke odor.

3 minutes ago, Shengen said:

My husband and I allow ourselves a few pieces of bacon for Sunday breakfast and once I turn on the purifier the odor is completely gone from the house

That sounds counter productive to me. ????

image.jpeg.09fbbdd94fc1b788234b0cb3f7d0e5c7.jpeg

On 10/31/2019 at 11:48 AM, Shengen said:

I have several air purifiers in my home. My most favorite one is a Kenmore that was purchased from Sears. It is amazing. My husband and I allow ourselves a few pieces of bacon for Sunday breakfast and once I turn on the purifier the odor is completely gone from the house within just a short time. We do not smoke so I can't attest to how well it works on that, but we do use it when we have our fireplace insert running because we have a bird. It really removes the smoke odor immediately. That particular purifier was very expensive but well worth the cost.

In my pig's room and also in our bedroom we have Honeywell purifiers. We purchased them from Amazon and have been really pleased. The model number is HPA160 series. They contain a Hepa Tower Allergen Remover and cover 170 sq. ft.
I'm afraid I can't quite remember how much we paid for them. I know there are less expensive models available but I feel quite often it's a matter of getting what you paid for. I would rather pay a little more and have it work nicely.

I'm sorry you have to have that unfortunate situation with your neighbor. I cannot tolerate the odor of cigarette smoke. I think you will find that an air purifier will help quite a bit with the smoke odor.

You have an impressive experience buying air purifiers! I met in the reviews the model of air purifiers that you talked about. And I completely agree with you that it is better to pay more, but to buy really high-quality goods and use them for many years.

Do your air purifiers handle pet odors? Or do you have no pets in your house?

Dear Miarobi,

We don't have pets. But I think it would take the odor. When I am frying something that smells, for example fish, the Coway sence that even if it is in a complete other room (livingroom) and there is a hallway between also, 6 m away from the kitchen. It then automatically starts and increases the speed until that smell is gone.

I posted this on another thread but this is probably a better one so hoping to get comments. 

Has anyone noticed that running aircon impairs AQ?  Here's what I found:

I recently bought a Hatari HT-AP1 purifier.  In my bedroom (about 10 sq m) it reduces PM 2.5 to zero running the fan at the lowest level (1).  But when I run the aircon, PM 2.5 goes up to 10 or more within 30 minutes or so, with the Hatari still on the same fan level.  When I turn the aircon off, PM 2.5 goes back to zero.  I changed nothing else in the room besides the aircon.  I've repeated this experiment several times and the results are the same.

The only other variable I could think of was humidity, which I know can fool the particle monitor.  I noticed the humidity did rise with aircon on, from 61% to 66%.  But that doesn't seem enough to account for such a big jump in PM 2.5.  AND when I turned off the aircon, the PM 2.5 dropped to zero while the humidity was still at 64%.  So that doesn't seem to be the culprit. (BTW I'm using a SNDWAY 2.5 monitor which has proved quite accurate in many settings)

I've read that aircon does not bring in outside air.  My aircon is a supposedly good Daikin system, with the compressor etc. outside on the deck and the indoor cooling vents flush against the upper walls of my rooms.  Just had the filters cleaned a few days ago (before the above tests).

Does anyone understand why this happens?

10 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

I posted this on another thread but this is probably a better one so hoping to get comments. 

Has anyone noticed that running aircon impairs AQ?  Here's what I found:

I recently bought a Hatari HT-AP1 purifier.  In my bedroom (about 10 sq m) it reduces PM 2.5 to zero running the fan at the lowest level (1).  But when I run the aircon, PM 2.5 goes up to 10 or more within 30 minutes or so, with the Hatari still on the same fan level.  When I turn the aircon off, PM 2.5 goes back to zero.  I changed nothing else in the room besides the aircon.  I've repeated this experiment several times and the results are the same.

The only other variable I could think of was humidity, which I know can fool the particle monitor.  I noticed the humidity did rise with aircon on, from 61% to 66%.  But that doesn't seem enough to account for such a big jump in PM 2.5.  AND when I turned off the aircon, the PM 2.5 dropped to zero while the humidity was still at 64%.  So that doesn't seem to be the culprit. (BTW I'm using a SNDWAY 2.5 monitor which has proved quite accurate in many settings)

I've read that aircon does not bring in outside air.  My aircon is a supposedly good Daikin system, with the compressor etc. outside on the deck and the indoor cooling vents flush against the upper walls of my rooms.  Just had the filters cleaned a few days ago (before the above tests).

Does anyone understand why this happens?

You say that the humidity rises when you switch on the aircon. This mostly happens at the beginning when the aircon is still wet from the last usage. At this time it might also blow out a lot of dust and other things. But what happens if the aircon is on for a longer time? 

10 minutes ago, Beggar said:

You say that the humidity rises when you switch on the aircon. This mostly happens at the beginning when the aircon is still wet from the last usage. At this time it might also blow out a lot of dust and other things. But what happens if the aircon is on for a longer time? 

The test I did above had the aircon on for about 40 minutes and at the end the AQ was bad (over 10).  So either you're right that it blew out dust in the first few minutes and it was so much that even after 40 minutes AQ was still bad (if so, strange because I don't notice any big dust blow-out and I'm quite allergic), or it continued to blow out a moderate amount of dust for a longer time; either way it seems strange because I've been using this aircon regularly and as stated just had the filters cleaned.

Edited by TerraplaneGuy

6 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

The test I did above had the aircon on for about 40 minutes and at the end the AQ was bad (over 10).

Actually 10 is not that bad (AQI 42 good) - suspect it has more to do with air circulation than anything else - with AC on air is moving much more than just the air cleaner (assume that is AP-12 rather than 1).  Try different positions in room for the meter.

I do find a reading of zero a bit suspect - have you used outdoors and checked with what other stations are reading?  

17 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

The test I did above had the aircon on for about 40 minutes and at the end the AQ was bad (over 10).  So either you're right that it blew out dust in the first few minutes and it was so much that even after 40 minutes AQ was still bad (if so, strange because I don't notice any big dust blow-out and I'm quite allergic), or it continued to blow out a moderate amount of dust for a longer time; either way it seems strange because I've been using this aircon regularly and as stated just had the filters cleaned.

Many aircon filters will not work for very small particles. But recently I saw a new Samsung aircon with Hepa filters but extremely expensive.

10 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually 10 is not that bad (AQI 42 good) - suspect it has more to do with air circulation than anything else - with AC on air is moving much more than just the air cleaner (assume that is AP-12 rather than 1).  Try different positions in room for the meter.

I do find a reading of zero a bit suspect - have you used outdoors and checked with what other stations are reading?  

I don’t think that’s it.   I didn’t mention but I have a separate fan on all the time at a constant level and the aircon doesn’t add that much to the overall turbulence.    As for zero reading it is accurate.  In the sense that of course it can’t really be zero but it’s close enough.   I’ve tested this monitor in many other buildings and it normally never goes down below about 7 BUT it does go to zero in a rare office building that is known to have exceptional AQ.    The important point I think is not zero vs 1 or 3 but the difference between non-aircon readings and those with aircon, which are very different in my condo.  

7 minutes ago, Beggar said:

Many aircon filters will not work for very small particles. But recently I saw a new Samsung aircon with Hepa filters but extremely expensive.

But where are the particles coming from?  The purifier had the particles down around zero and then the aircon seems to have ADDED more.  That suggest the aircon is bringing in outside air.  If it’s not, it wouldn’t matter if the aircon has a HEPA filter (which I’m sure it doesn’t, just standard filters).  The room would remain clean if the aircon is just re-circulating and cooling the air.  

2 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

I didn’t mention but I have a separate fan on all the time

You have a very small BR of 10 square meters with a fan on all the time, an air cleaner and and air conditioner?  What size is the air conditioner might I ask?  Where are you located?  Much better to test meter against outside air that is being measured and reported than inside buildings.

3 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

But where are the particles coming from?  The purifier had the particles down around zero and then the aircon seems to have ADDED more.  That suggest the aircon is bringing in outside air.  If it’s not, it wouldn’t matter if the aircon has a HEPA filter (which I’m sure it doesn’t, just standard filters).  The room would remain clean if the aircon is just re-circulating and cooling the air.  

The only outside connection of the inside unit is the drain pipe. But perhaps the increased airflow in the room could move some dust and small particles for a while. No room is perfectly clean. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

But where are the particles coming from?

What do you have in room?  A door obviously.  Window(s)?  Wall vent fan?  Any other airway into room?  Is Air conditioner perhaps sucking air through a vent or window or from ceiling (light fixture or poorly sealed at edge)?

33 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

What do you have in room?  A door obviously.  Window(s)?  Wall vent fan?  Any other airway into room?  Is Air conditioner perhaps sucking air through a vent or window or from ceiling (light fixture or poorly sealed at edge)?

The aircon does not suck any outside air - it could be a small amount thru the drain pipe if it does not have a siphon preventing this. It just moves the inside air as a fan does. At least if it is not one of the single piece units that are put into a hole in the window or wall. No normal room is airtight. So what will happen is that if the air is cooled down there will be small under pressure in the room because cold air is more dense. And this could suck in outside air at least for a while when cooling down the air. But I still think that the increased air flow blows around more dust and particles and this might be the main reason. 

Edited by Beggar

51 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You have a very small BR of 10 square meters with a fan on all the time, an air cleaner and and air conditioner?  What size is the air conditioner might I ask?  Where are you located?  Much better to test meter against outside air that is being measured and reported than inside buildings.

I don’t know how to measure the aircon.  It’s one big system that serves 3 rooms, each separately controlled but pumped from a big outdoor compressor.    The outside air is not the issue although I measure it too (these days it’s usually around 45 which matches the AQI website showing around 130 for my area, Chong Nonsi). The two scales are different as you probably know (the monitor shows raw particle data).   The monitor works well.  

On 5/4/2019 at 5:27 PM, lopburi3 said:

Filters work and work well and need not be expensive.  Have been using Hatari for years and very happy with them.  Noise of HT-AP12 at lower speeds is very slight and that is all that is required to keep my 26sm bedroom under 10 for PM2.5 - can air out to outside levels and within minutes back under 10,  Cost is less than 5k baht and rated for 32sm use.

Currently on a clean air evening outside is 19 (aqi 65) and in bedroom is 003 (aqi 13).

Image result for hatari air purifier

i have bought this model recently.    when plugged in (not turned on) there is a light that goes on in the middle of the black panel as shown above.  At various times over a few weeks now

it will start to pulse .  If unit is turned on at that time all the gages will do the same .  It happens on each unit i have and in various wall sockets.   All circuits are grounded.  No other appliances show any signs of this.   Anyone else experienced this with this Hatari model ?

I have already had electric co.  come out and they did say volatage at street was a bit low, said they did something .....ahem.....  but a day or two later same thing happens.  It is not all the time,  just once in a while.   Scary to use when all lights are blinking , so i unplug

28 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

It’s one big system that serves 3 rooms

That is not a normal system in Thailand.  Are you sure it does not draw air from outside the room as sounds like a central air system which would involve ducts of cooled air.

17 minutes ago, rumak said:

i have bought this model recently.    when plugged in (not turned on) there is a light that goes on in the middle of the black panel as shown above.  At various times over a few weeks now

https://www.hatari.co.th/downloads/26.OK290519_hatari_dfu AP n.pdf

There is a filter check warning just to the right of the power on light which might be what you are talking about - there is a reset button above the light panel if you remove the filter cover.

image.png.29bc1d2fa45bf0a0a04ab6888751839f.png

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

https://www.hatari.co.th/downloads/26.OK290519_hatari_dfu AP n.pdf

There is a filter check warning just to the right of the power on light which might be what you are talking about - there is a reset button above the light panel if you remove the filter cover.

image.png.29bc1d2fa45bf0a0a04ab6888751839f.png

ah,  i tried that .   but the one i use has less than a 1000 hours.   and then we opened a new one and it did the same thing .   So unfortunately that's not the problem,  though the blinks (which are short)  are pretty much what i expect they would be if it were the case.

Also will only happen every few days or so and for an hour or ?  ( i unplug so not sure)

You never have that blinking ??  BTW   all lights will blink when turned on , so i turn off

27 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

That is not a normal system in Thailand.  Are you sure it does not draw air from outside the room as sounds like a central air system which would involve ducts of cooled air.

Why is the humidity increasing when starting the a/c? It should be decreasing when the air is getting colder. Sounds strange. Is the a/c 100% OK and sift proof in all 3 rooms? Sounds like humidity (warm air) comes in. Or the room itself is leaking in air from outside when the air pressure in the room gets lower than the outside as someone here mentioned.

2 minutes ago, rumak said:

ou never have that blinking ??  BTW   all lights will blink when turned

I have in bedroom with black fabric covering panel but have never noticed any blinking and that would see through the covering at night.  But do not have a low voltage issues.  I would not worry too much about display - the older model had manual controls and worked fine for a decade 24 hours a day and only gave away because for a short period filters were not available.  

7 minutes ago, rumak said:

ah,  i tried that .   but the one i use has less than a 1000 hours.   and then we opened a new one and it did the same thing .   So unfortunately that's not the problem,  though the blinks (which are short)  are pretty much what i expect they would be if it were the case.

Also will only happen every few days or so and for an hour or ?  ( i unplug so not sure)

You never have that blinking ??  BTW   all lights will blink when turned on , so i turn off

What says the manufacturer? I would check with them first. Maybe the machine is not working properly. Maybe the same lamp also indicates other things like power failure. Check with them first of all.

I use Mi Air Purifier Pro with HEPA filter. 

https://cavarii.blogspot.com/2018/04/comparing-mi-air-purifier-2s-and-pro.html?m=1

I could get away with the 2s instead of pro but because my purifier is oversized it can run more silently. It can be programmed to be on/off at certain time. The auto mode only make the fan spin faster when is reach a PM2.5 of 150+. I use a fixed fan speed instead and the sensors always show less than PM2.5 of less than 10 and usually only 1.

The blue filter included with the air purifier is not HEPA but the green are (or more exactly was in 2015) : https://s.lazada.co.th/s.ZIBga

https://jumpadevice.com/2019/01/16/choose-the-correct-filter-mi-air-purifier/

Edited by Tayaout

37 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

It’s not a central (whole building) system.  It’s a condo tower and each condo unit has its own system.  My compressor is outside on my back deck.  It serves only my unit.  What I am wondering is whether possibly it draws air from one room to the other within my unit.  It shouldn’t because the whole idea is each room has its own control so you can cool one room while leaving the others uncooled.  And that does work.  But I wonder if somehow there is air leakage within the system as between rooms, allowing dust to move from one to another.  That would be a fault because it would also impede the cooling process and I haven’t noticed that.      

15 minutes ago, Captor said:

What says the manufacturer? I would check with them first. Maybe the machine is not working properly. Maybe the same lamp also indicates other things like power failure. Check with them first of all.

I had called before but did not speak with a "technician".   They said bring it back to where I bought it (70 km away).   Thought the problem had gone away, but nope.  Just got off the phone with Hatari in BKK  and asked if anyone else had this problem.   Answer was ....gaw, mee bang krap.    haha   translation is :  YES        Some problem with the circuitry or ?  but we will have to bring to the distributor to be sent back to the factory.   Recent purchase so should be no problems except wait time.   so HEADS UP to anyone who has this problem,  somethings wrong.

It does work well when working..

On 5/4/2019 at 5:27 PM, lopburi3 said:

Filters work and work well and need not be expensive.  Have been using Hatari for years and very happy with them.  Noise of HT-AP12 at lower speeds is very slight and that is all that is required to keep my 26sm bedroom under 10 for PM2.5 - can air out to outside levels and within minutes back under 10,  Cost is less than 5k baht and rated for 32sm use.

Currently on a clean air evening outside is 19 (aqi 65) and in bedroom is 003 (aqi 13).

Image result for hatari air purifier

I have two.  I run them 24 hours a day for a 45 sqm condo.  Don't listen to the "challenged" here, who tell you nothing will help.  Hatari is the cheapest because it is made here and not imported.  People also like the Xiaomi brands which cost not too much more.  

Again, please try to ignore the "challenged."