Recommended air purifier?

Captor

6 minutes ago, fishtank said:

Anyone got any views on this cheap option?

Replacement filters look to be available on Lazada.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/sotime-air-purifier-i305124888-s528736873.html?spm=a2o4m.pdp.0.0.3745668eODIKjB

I would be very concerned with the fan/plastic quality after almost losing our house and possibly life to fire from a fan operated mosquito trap fan overheating and turning plastic case into a large open flame.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, fishtank said:

Anyone got any views on this cheap option?

Replacement filters look to be available on Lazada.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/sotime-air-purifier-i305124888-s528736873.html?spm=a2o4m.pdp.0.0.3745668eODIKjB

for me it looks ok! it seems like a copy of the hatari air purifier, but the filter has different measurement.

the CADR is 180m3/h (clean air delivery rate), that is also standard for this size of air purifier.

the most air purifier are overpriced, especially if you need it only to reduce pm2.5. if i would need

another one, i would consider buying this one ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, motdaeng said:

if i need a new air purifier i will look also at the the  CADR m3/h (clean air delivery rate).

the air purifier has to clean the air-volume of your room and not the m2 of your floor ????

Very good, that can maybe be more accurat due to very high roof in one of the rooms, thanks.

32 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I'd be concerned about the 1 week warranty.

you are right. but for that price and look at the a good ratings and reviews,

i would take the smal risk. it is more or less only a hepa filter and a ventilator! 

2 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

you are right. but for that price and look at the a good ratings and reviews,

i would take the smal risk. it is more or less only a hepa filter and a ventilator! 

I see what you mean but just as an example, I bought a fan like that with low warranty and after 3 months had to throw it out because of the noise the damn thing made was unbearable.

9 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I see what you mean but just as an example, I bought a fan like that with low warranty and after 3 months had to throw it out because of the noise the damn thing made was unbearable.

my 15 years (thailand) experience : more expensive items does not automatically mean the quality is much better.
and even when the expensive items are in the warranty, it does not mean you will get a replacement or that you

will get a good repair-service ...

but thanks for mention the only 7 warranty, that could be indeed a  concern for some ...

24 minutes ago, fishtank said:

Probably a dumb question, but for those using one in the bedroom do you leave it running 24/7 or turn it on an hour or two before bedtime?

I read different things on internet.

Mine runs 24 hours a day and has for many years.  Do spend most time in bedroom during the day when hot like this.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Captor said:

Yes. What brand? Can you recommend it?

Have 2 Hitachi's.  One, not in the photo, is a big one and a humidifier too.  Run them all the time.  I put slides on the bottom and move the big one from the living room to the bedroom at night.

2 hours ago, motdaeng said:

my 15 years (thailand) experience : more expensive items does not automatically mean the quality is much better.
and even when the expensive items are in the warranty, it does not mean you will get a replacement or that you

will get a good repair-service ...

but thanks for mention the only 7 warranty, that could be indeed a  concern for some ...

I run mine all the time as the wife is allergic to everything. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Peterbkk99 said:

Until recently I bought the replacement filters from Sharp Thailand.

But the last time (3 months ago), they told me delivery time was 2 months!

So I bought from Amazon. It was shipped from the US.

It was roughly the same price in both cases. The net price at Amazon was lower than Sharp Thailand, but it was compensated by shipping costs.

From all of my direct conversations with Sharp Thailand, they don't themselves offer or sell HEPA filters for their own air purifiers. Rather, they will refer you to a private supplier in BKK by the name of JBS Sales that sources and sells them for Sharp units. JBS used to have a shop on Petchburi Road in BKK, but apparently lately have relocated out toward Don Mueang....

In my case, they've often been out of stock of the filters for my Sharp unit, have promised dates for getting them back in stock, then have missed those promised dates by many months.... That's why I called Sharp's replacement filter set-up here dysfunctional.

Also, in my case, as best as I can tell, my particular Sharp unit bought in Thailand has never been sold in the U.S., so there are no filters available for it via Amazon in the U.S.   But I believe I have seen a few filters for your larger 80 unit being offered by Amazon in the past since that unit has been sold in the U.S.  Sharp isn't a very big player in the U.S. air purifier market AFAICT.

• Thanks 1

I researched this years ago, with the help of some doctors and lab people. I found out it takes a massive filter to be able to effectively purify the air. Replacements filters are going to be expensive. But, worth it. Sure, anything is going to help. But, a large, multiple filtrations system is required. Samsung makes a decent unit. I have one that works well. I clean the outside filter weekly. The six layer filter has to be replaced annually, at 2,000 baht. 

I have also shown a photo of a filter system I used in the US, to filter a 2,000 sf loftspace. I had five of them. Over $2,000 total. They worked really well, and I lived in downtown area with massive pollution. Check out the size of the filter. I do not think you could find an industrial/laboratory/hospital grade air filter like that here. It is called an Austin Air Healthmate. Normal size or Jr. size. 

item_XL_7097259_5096453.jpg

Unknown.jpeg

Austin_HealthMate_HM400_white__23672.1440006019.jpg

Healthmate.jpg

austin-air-healthmate-plus-air-plus-air-purifier-austin-air-jr-healthmate-plus.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

From all of my direct conversations with Sharp Thailand, they don't themselves offer or sell HEPA filters for their own air purifiers. Rather, they will refer you to a private supplier in BKK by the name of JBS Sales that sources and sells them for Sharp units. JBS used to have a shop on Petchburi Road in BKK, but apparently lately have relocated out toward Don Mueang....

In my case, they've often been out of stock of the filters for my Sharp unit, have promised dates for getting them back in stock, then have missed those promised dates by many months.... That's why I called Sharp's replacement filter set-up here dysfunctional.

Also, in my case, as best as I can tell, my particular Sharp unit bought in Thailand has never been sold in the U.S., so there are no filters available for it via Amazon in the U.S.   But I believe I have seen a few filters for your larger 80 unit being offered by Amazon in the past since that unit has been sold in the U.S.  Sharp isn't a very big player in the U.S. air purifier market AFAICT.

Yes that's the one: JBS sales

It is actually the official distributor of Sharp Thailand, not Sharp Thailand per se.

They redirected me to JBS

And here is the link to the filter I purchased from Amazon US:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0085FBKEM/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rgds

Edited by Peterbkk99
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, motdaeng said:

if you are only in the night in the bedroom, no need to run it 24/7.

turn the air purifier on before bedtime, but at full fan speed. how long

before it depends on the CADR m3/h (clean air delivery rate) of your air

purifier, the volume m3 of your room, how polluted is your room, how 

seald is your room, how good is your filter ... etc

one hour before bedtime (full fan speed) should be in most cases more

than enough ... it is a good thing, having a pm2.5 detector for to know

can you get the WHO limits or not ...

Good advice....  And that's the advantage of having either A) your own PM2.5 sensor at home, and/or B) an air purifier with its own built-in PM2.5 display.... so that you can know just how good or bad the air in the room is, and what level and duration of fan speed you need to get the air where you want it to be.

Once you have a particular purifier and sensor, you'll pretty much get used to its capabilities and use patterns. In my case, I try to keep the PM2.5 levels in our bedroom at night at or below 6 micrograms.... So if I come in at night and the reading is about that, I'll put the purifier on LOW just to maintain that level.

If the reading is 20, I'd probably put the purifier on MEDIUM and see how far down that fan level brings the reading. But if I came in and the reading was 40-50 micrograms, I'd blast the sucker on HIGH and probably leave it there all night, because a reading that high would obviously tell me the air outside is pretty bad.

BTW, that above is one of the other differences between the Hatari and the Xiaomi 2S models... AFAIK, the operation of the Hatari unit is entirely manual... it has no built-in sensor, so it's entirely up to the user to set the desired fan speed, and that's only going to change when you manually change it.

On the other hand, the Xiaomi unit has its built-in sensor and I believe that's tied into the operation of the unit. So, I believe, the unit can be set to adjust its fan speed operation automatically based on the readings of the sensor. Now, that can be either a good or a bad thing.

The original different 2 units had a bad or cheap sensor system in them, and when left in automated mode, they tended to down shift the operation of the unit even when the actual PM2.5 readings were still relatively high. And users had to go thru some jiggering to prevent the unit from downshifting prematurely and leaving them with bad air. Fortunately, from various reports, Xiaomi seems to have corrected that problem with the later 2S model, which supposedly can be left to operate correctly in its automated mode.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Good advice....  And that's the advantage of having either A) your own PM2.5 sensor at home, and/or B) an air purifier with its own built-in PM2.5 display.... so that you can know just how good or bad the air in the room is, and what level and duration of fan speed you need to get the air where you want it to be.

Once you have a particular purifier and sensor, you'll pretty much get used to its capabilities and use patterns. In my case, I try to keep the PM2.5 levels in our bedroom at night at or below 6 micrograms.... So if I come in at night and the reading is about that, I'll put the purifier on LOW just to maintain that level.

If the reading is 20, I'd probably put the purifier on MEDIUM and see how far down that fan level brings the reading. But if I came in and the reading was 40-50 micrograms, I'd blast the sucker on HIGH and probably leave it there all night, because a reading that high would obviously tell me the air outside is pretty bad.

BTW, that above is one of the other differences between the Hatari and the Xiaomi 2S models... AFAIK, the operation of the Hatari unit is entirely manual... it has no built-in sensor, so it's entirely up to the user to set the desired fan speed, and that's only going to change when you manually change it.

On the other hand, the Xiaomi unit has its built-in sensor and I believe that's tied into the operation of the unit. So, I believe, the unit can be set to adjust its fan speed operation automatically based on the readings of the sensor. Now, that can be either a good or a bad thing.

The original different 2 units had a bad or cheap sensor system in them, and when left in automated mode, they tended to down shift the operation of the unit even when the actual PM2.5 readings were still relatively high. And users had to go thru some jiggering to prevent the unit from downshifting prematurely and leaving them with bad air. Fortunately, from various reports, Xiaomi seems to have corrected that problem with the later 2S model, which supposedly can be left to operate correctly in its automated mode.

I am wondering, Is the Xiaomi 2S really with a Hepa filter? As far I can read in several webpages it is an Epa filer only. NOT Hepa. Or am I wrong?

45 minutes ago, Captor said:

I am wondering, Is the Xiaomi 2S really with a Hepa filter? As far I can read in several webpages it is an Epa filer only. NOT Hepa. Or am I wrong?

Interesting... This issue is pretty confusing to sort out, but you might be right about that.... I'm seeing one place where Xiaomi's specs refer to the filter as an H11 class filter, which seems to be a notch below the traditional U.S. HEPA standard of filtering at least 99.97% of particles down to the size of 0.3 microns.

1333465545_2019-05-0700_16_00.jpg.3c1681d55270a037c31e95cd4709a05d.jpg

https://www.jd.co.th/product/mi-air-purifier-2s-global-version-1_1792005.html

665411164_2019-05-0700_39_39.jpg.5bd71c1a692a414003492f44ad49bbe6.jpg

https://engineering.stackexchange.com/questions/18395/eu-en-standard-1822-vs-us-hepa-filters

Also Wikipedia had the following to add on the subject, which revolves around the differences between U.S. vs. European standards:

560005672_2019-05-0701_01_45.jpg.eb38bb2e3b496252d5135918f375e932.jpg

8228223_2019-05-0701_02_17.jpg.2b3944d058d529b4a35a58aef9881c58.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_filter#cite_note-4

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

In the Xiaomi Filter description specification it states HEPA

here: https://s.lazada.co.th/s.Epxx

Not here: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/xiaomi-mi-air-purifier-2s-pm-25-1-i261612068-s402593781.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.3.434766c1OzMegB&search=1

And also please see attached file. When it comes to different information in different webpages then I usually use to back off.

Then there use to be something that stinks...

H11 EPA filter.jpg

As the information I found was for the filter only, is it possible and reasonable to assume that perhaps they are supplied with one type but other types are available to purchase to suit the requirement ? 

Just a thought.

I havnt actually looked at mine but I will take a look in the morning.

6 minutes ago, Captor said:

Not here: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/xiaomi-mi-air-purifier-2s-pm-25-1-i261612068-s402593781.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.3.434766c1OzMegB&search=1

And also please see attached file. When it comes to different information in different webpages then I usually use to back off.

Then there use to be something that stinks...

H11 EPA filter.jpg

Here too. Can it be with blue original filter it is Epa and with Purple filter it is Hepa? Also in some occation the name is 2s Pro.

Or not? Very confusing!

The purple filter is for bacteria cleaning.

Here it is again: EPA

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/original-new-xiaomi-mi-air-purifier-2s-pm25-i291010301-s483140371.html?spm=a2o4m.pdp.recommendation_2.5.358a1e15dSohoB&mp=1&clickTrackInfo=609bc589-b073-4b09-a734-ddcfdde0e4c0__291010301__5578__trigger2i__124582__0.016__0.04591081__0.0__0.61421615__0.50523996__0.24591081__4__1__PDPV2V__244__null__33__0__&scm=1007.16389.126158.0

And see the file again. I don´t know if I can trust this brand if they not even get the sales information right.

I have seen same confusing information in european webpages.

H11 EPA filter2.jpg

3 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

As the information I found was for the filter only, is it possible and reasonable to assume that perhaps they are supplied with one type but other types are available to purchase to suit the requirement ? 

Just a thought.

I havnt actually looked at mine but I will take a look in the morning.

OK, I have found out what it is about. They have 3 filters and 1 of them is Hepa. They say. The others not. Se attached file and also here:

https://jumpadevice.com/2018/03/19/xiaomi-air-purifier-2-review/

But if you read the article you will see that actually NONE of them are real Hepa filter according to the european standard EN 1822.

It says that this filter came out on the market before they started with this standard. 2015. But that is not true. The standard has been there since at least 2009. And I have found webpages with the standard in Sweden already 1998. Hmm....

Different filters.jpg