Motorbike insurance without having passed the Thai driving test?

Card

You can insure CTPL on vehicle car/truck or motorbike it doesn't matter whether you have a DL.

Even some voluntary insurance companies are not bothered either as long as your covered CTPL. 

Getting insurance is easy.  Getting them to pay out is the pertinent question. 

If it's the compulsory insurance that covers a couple of thousand $USD, it's no big deal if they don't pay out.  If it's genuine liability coverage running into the millions of baht, not so simple. 

There's always GoFundMe...

• Like 1

They will not ask for a DL when you buy a bike, but if you have an accident, then the problems start.

Someone is going to contradict me, if you have a DL  and have an accident and die the insurance company will pay out 80 000 baht, if the person on the pillion dies the family will get 80 000 baht.

If you have no DL the rider's family will get 15 000 baht, but the pillion will still get 80 000baht.

This happens to the wife's son in law and his mate both well dead after hitting a bus, bike rider no DL 15k, son in law's wife, he was pillion 80k, this was a few years ago I think the amounts are still the same. 

If you have fully comprehensive insurance, not certain if the amounts increase, but I can not see it running into millions .this is Thailand.   

Christ on a bike.  How would it work in Falangland?  It's the same here.  

Easy to purchase insurance and even easier to jump on a motorbike.  Have an accident then the fun [actually, no fun whatsoever] begins.  

I've donated to several GoFundMe appeals previously but can't keep up so settled on no further donations.  

Remember, if your broken body is taking up a bed space in LOS then you won't be going anywhere until the bill is settled in full no matter what your condition.  

If you do have a DL and insurance and have an accident and end up in the hospital the insurance company will the bill, it will be a government hospital, but no DL and you have insurance the hospital will not pay you are on your own.

You pay's your money and take your chances. 

11 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I bought a bike about a year ago. Nobody asked to see my driver license.

Wait until you have an accident, it's the first thing the insurance agent asks for and they check to see if it is genuine.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Wait until you have an accident, it's the first thing the insurance agent asks for and they check to see if it is genuine.

I have a driver license. The point if nobody wanted to see it.

They wanted to see my passport and work permit but not my driver license.

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I have a driver license. The point if nobody wanted to see it.

They wanted to see my passport and work permit but not my driver license.

The insurance company is happy to take your money off you, whether you have a licence or not. When it comes to paying out, though, it's a very different story.

9 hours ago, dotpoom said:

What does "CTPL"...stand for. I tried to tie it in some way to a "mechanically propelled vehicle"...but ..no can do?

The poster things he is sending a text message, he just doesn't realise he is participating in a forum.????

19 hours ago, OneEyedPie said:

Remember, if your broken body is taking up a bed space in LOS then you won't be going anywhere until the bill is settled in full no matter what your condition.  

Will the sheets get regular changing?

The key to successful living in Thailand is not to 'leave the ball in someone else's court'.... i.e. make sure you have things correctly sorted to ensure you are covered if / when the worst happens....

Thus: Ensure if you have a licence - its not hard to obtain one.