Four digital TV broadcasters set to return licences

webfact

Four digital TV broadcasters set to return licences

By The Nation

5c45bb027c69e08ad504986a449c6eae.jpeg

Four digital TV broadcasters on Friday disclosed that they will return their digital TV broadcasting licences to the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC).

They are: Voice TV, News Network Corporation Public Company Limited, Spring 26 Company Limited (formerly known as Bangkok Business Broadcasting Company Limited), and MCOT.

Voice TV said in a statement on Friday that it had submitted the expression of intent to return its digital TV broadcasting licence to the NBTC.

The broadcaster's chief executive officer Mekin Petchplai said that the company would continue in the broadcasting business but on other platforms, such as Youtube, Facebook, or Twitter.

He added that Voice TV would continue airing programmes on Voice TV 21 digital channel until July 31 and air programmes simultaneously on satellite TV and online platforms from July 1 to 31.

News Network Corporation Public Company Limited on Friday advised the Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET) that its board on May 9 resolved to propose to shareholders that they approve rectification for the return of the digital TV licence in the category of news programmes of its subsidiary Spring News Television Co., Ltd.

Spring News currently operates Spring News Channel 19.

Nation Multimedia Group (NMG) advised the SET on Friday that its board unanimously approval in principle on May 9 that Spring 26 Company Limited would inform the NBTC on Friday of its plan to return the licence of Spring 26 Channel.

This means the NMG will have only one digital television channel, Nation TV Channel 22, which offers programmes in the category of news and content.

MCOT also advised the SET on Friday that its board meeting on May 10 resolved to notify the NBTC of its intention to return the licence to operate MCOT Family 14 channel.

MCOT currently operates MCOT Family 14 channel and MCOT 30 high-definition (HD) channel.

Friday is the last day the NBTC has allowed companies to advise them of their decisions. Companies that return their licences will be compensated by the NBTC.

Their return of licences is in line with the relief measure offered by the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) last month to ease their financial burdens.

After disclosing their decision, the companies still have to continue airing programmes until their licence return is approved by the NBTC board. The board will also specify the dates when they can stop operations.

The junta relief measures also requires the NBTC to waive remaining licence upfront payments for the fifth and sixth instalments for all broadcasters. 

The NBTC will also cover the network rental fee for all digital TV licence holders for the remainder of their licence term of nine and half years.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30369153

thenation_logo.jpg

6 minutes ago, webfact said:

Their return of licences is in line with the relief measure offered by the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) last month to ease their financial burdens

At the cost of the taxpayers,  you bid for a license, if your business plan does not

work out,you just return the license and get your money back ! 

regards Worgeordie

I must admit i cannot understand why there are so many TV channels in Thailand, probably about 2 or 3 times more than the UK. And half of them just show the same senseless crap. My wife never watches more than about 3 channels.

Mind you i have also never seen a Thai watch anything educational on TV either!

2 hours ago, rickudon said:

I must admit i cannot understand why there are so many TV channels in Thailand, probably about 2 or 3 times more than the UK. And half of them just show the same senseless crap. My wife never watches more than about 3 channels.

Is there anything educational to watch (of any length or substance) on Thai TV? I don't have cable TV. My GF watches and I sort of monitor it. The only remaining analog channel (3) and I have yet to see anything educational. The only thing I see as useful is the news and I'm sure it's  highly-propagandistic.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, rickudon said:

I am really lucky ,my wife lived in the UK for many years ,she only watches Thai news sometimes ,she thinks Thai tv is rubbish ,

41 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

I am really lucky ,my wife lived in the UK for many years ,she only watches Thai news sometimes ,she thinks Thai tv is rubbish ,

I like some of the Lakorns, ghosts and witches and pretty girls getting slapped ...... you can't beat it.

• Haha 1

On 5/12/2019 at 11:31 AM, BritManToo said:

I like some of the Lakorns, ghosts and witches and pretty girls getting slapped ...... you can't beat it.

Yes, i have watched a few - in the past. But about as similar to reality as the series 'Dynasty' was ....

These days i just watch France 24 on the Television for the news. For entertainment, i have Netflix.

• Like 1