Buying a car..PROBLEMS!

You have been given the best advice here.......walk away.

but you seem to want to have a lot of problems and work through them all.....if it is possible......good luck on all of that.

In the end it is just a car even if it it is a Merc.......just a car. Aggravation may be your middle name, and the last name may be Stubborn.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The owner apparently has no intention of returning to Thailand..so the car is worthless to her, especially with no blue book...so this guy is probably getting the car for nothing from his friend...so he figures it's worth the effort to get the paperwork done.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2019 at 12:55 PM, Kwasaki said:

It's lot of hassle but if you are committed to wanting the car, start by going your nearest DLT office and get papers needed for the owner to sign and send them to her.

Also ask what else what is needed from her as said copy passport and exit stamped page etc.

Also a statement letter from her saying what happened to the blue car book for handed to the police.

If you must.... the above post is good advice. Start with the DLT, they can check out the records from the registration number and advise who really owns the car and how to do it.

Never seen one like this before but I suspect you'll need a transfer of ownership paper signed by the former owner (if indeed she really is the owner???). Plus a Police report and her passport.

Remember the blue book is proof of ownership by law.

Could be on finance or stolen??

Bottom line.... no blue book = no buy.

Edited by DaRoadrunner
  • Like 1

Just curious...  What is so special about this car?

What model & Age is it? are you getting an incredible price for it? 

Perhaps too good to be true.... No tax paid? Its not an ex embassy car is it?

Or is it a free 'hand-me-down' from a friend who has left and will not return? in which case it may well be worth the effort you seem intent on making.

If the owner cannot produce the 'Blue Registration Book' I'm guessing she will need to apply for a replacement having filled out a police report. 

You may be able to do this with Power of Attorney, but I suspect this would need to be translated in Thai and verified, I can't see how this possible without the presence of the signatory (owner).

Its definitely an interesting conundrum... 

One thing to be aware of if you go to DLT you may open a can of worms. 

What if she has fled the country due to something that you are unaware of, how many outstanding fines has she, was the car involved in a hit and run, was it involved in any criminal enterprise I.e. drug running, is it on the Police computer.

My thoughts are, be careful, be verrrry careful, good luck, let us know how it goes

3 hours ago, PJPom said:

One thing to be aware of if you go to DLT you may open a can of worms. 

What if she has fled the country due to something that you are unaware of, how many outstanding fines has she, was the car involved in a hit and run, was it involved in any criminal enterprise I.e. drug running, is it on the Police computer.

My thoughts are, be careful, be verrrry careful, good luck, let us know how it goes

Nothing to be aware of at all, to see if the car is a can of worms or whether the car could be a problem the DLT office is exactly where OP should start.

15 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

If its been untaxed over 3 complete years then the plate / reg is cancelled.. 

There may be a process to get it back, but I have never been able to work it out despite repeated enquiry. 

If OP goes to a DLT office there's no repeated enquiries to make only paperwork.

5 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

If OP goes to a DLT office there's no repeated enquiries to make only paperwork.

That would be my advice.  I assume the car still has plates.  From those plates, the OP should be able to determine who it was registered under.  He can also find out how to transfer ownership without the blue book.  Would be helpful to have a Thai person accompanying. 

• Like 1

On 5/11/2019 at 7:20 AM, johng said:

The Department of Land Transportation may also want to see a copy of the owners passport especially the page which shows exit from Thailand.

I had to make multiple copies of all (used) pages in my passport and had to sign several forms, when I sold a car to a Thai. And that was with the blue book. 

• Like 1

I have been personally been through a similar sorry exercise and I had the blue book.

Even with a blue book the transfer of ownership can only be done through a power of attorney and the missing owner must still have a current long stay visa.