Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

webfact

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:
3 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:
And, as has been mentioned at least three times, he's already made his view clear!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Not on this thread of 1000+ posts, on another thread of 2 posts which was closed

It is not closed to him and he posted there because it is in his mod area. 

Most of us are seniors who have retired here.
Getting insurance cover for pre-existing medical conditions is next to impossible.
Has anyone got a sensible answer please?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

8 hours ago, Lenny Jones said:

Bushfires, bullshit and panic everywhere so far in 39 odd pages of posts.
 A Thai minister has made a vague, unworkable statement based on bias and ignorance.

Which is always the way here.  A purported thought process which is based on superstition, ignorance, lack of education and stereotypical thinking.  

• Like 1

Good thread. 1075 posts already.

1175782223_ScreenShot2019-05-14at12_38_16.png.040dd99d6bcf792c441a259ef6d7fb1e.png

1967068005_ScreenShot2019-05-14at12_37_33.png.683c2923ef4e6703d11b604d33d68c2f.png

Totally misleading headline. 

Not read the thread so somebody might have said the same thing.

Should read ''for some foreigners''. or  ''for foreigners on O-A visas.''

As in only O-A visas.   

99701019_ScreenShot2019-05-14at14_44_51.png.7634b495b45c3183d94654f285352037.png

Renewal of O-A visa .

Does not mention marriage visas, retirement visas, elite visas, business visas, education visas et al.

post 1073.   No country for old men , Good film. IMHO

Carry on.

Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 12.37.33.png

this illegal crime gang has now sold out immigration to the health industry, same as everything else to make a buck, if the plan works all of us will be contributing from short term tourists to long term stayers.

it will also be wide open to abuse, i mean how many immigration officials will know a fake insurance contract to an legal contract, how many will be able to understand the language to prove its legit. i can see people gaming the system pretty easily

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Deerculler said:

A person comes to Thailand.
Many marry and rear children that are not there own.
Build or buy house and car.
They have brought money from there own country to do this.
Every year they bring money into Thailand from the same country to live on.
None of this money has cost the Thai taxpayer anything.
This is a huge amount of money I would think.
Maybe the Farang who has brought all this free money into Thailand should be entitled to something too.
Okay I know it is our choice to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, Cheops said:

That really does it! 555 :cheesy:

You dont get printed for your extension? 

35 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Thai as in citizens.

I am not white.

If where going to label them, then they are EurAsian.

Thats what my wife says, she's your Asian.????

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, humbug said:

this illegal crime gang has now sold out immigration to the health industry, same as everything else to make a buck, if the plan works all of us will be contributing from short term tourists to long term stayers.

it will also be wide open to abuse, i mean how many immigration officials will know a fake insurance contract to an legal contract, how many will be able to understand the language to prove its legit. i can see people gaming the system pretty easily

Trip to MFA to pay them for a sticker, more money, cha-ching!

Wasnt it mentioned on this thread that the rule only applies to O a visas issued in your own country or at a Thai consulate ? 

If that is the case then an 0 issued at your local immigration and extended would be exempt from the ruling? 

Is the ruling with immediate effect or still vague?

14 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Some more information would be great, when does it start, does it include marrige extensions (it appears not in the OP).

I predict some very creative insurance policies, 400k coverage for 1,000 baht with a 399k deductible.

It depends how you read the OP... 

One way of reading it is that it only impacts people applying/renewing (By this I'm assuming they mean extending) their Non-OA Visa..... The other way is it impacts people applying for a Non-OA & anybody over 50 that is extending their long term "Visa" for 1 year which would obviously include people > 50 on Non-O Marriage Visas... Unfortunately the 2nd option is the only one that makes sense, fortunately TiT so when does common sense come into the equation... 

I apologise I've only got through the 1st 11 pages so far & these questions may already have been asked/answered but what are peoples views on whether:-

1. Non-O Visa (Retirement) would be included
  2. Non-O Visa (Marriage, Over 50) would be included
  3. Thailand Elite (Over 50) would be included... 
Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, yang123 said:

Here's what appears to be an official statement by the Ministry of Public Health, taken from a link in the Phuket News article cited pages and pages above.  This is from what appears to be the MOPH web-site via a sub-Google translation programme: http://hss.moph.go.th/show_topic.php?id=2808   Spacing (lack of) as in the original.  Department of Health Administration, Ministry of Public Health has approved the 1 year health insurance policy for foreigners aged 1, reducing the risk of bad debts for medical institutions

(clip)

sum insured for medical expenses in case of outpatient not less than 4 thousand baht, inpatient not less than 4 hundred thousand baht. The policy can be purchased online at http // longstay.tgia. org

(clip)

WARNING !

Note the 4 thousand baht Outpatient above is wrong.  I just looked at the original Thai. Google  wrongly translates 40,000 baht to 4000 baht, some kind of software bug.

Thai                   Google translate

4 หมื่นบาท          4 thousand baht   (wrong)

หมื่นบาท          ten thousand baht  (correct)

1 หมื่นบาท          ten thousand baht  (correct)

Outpatient is not 4 thousand baht it is forty thousand baht

Edited by rabas

18 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

I am sure, with the proficiency of English within the Thai immigration, this should not pose any problems ! ???? ???? ????

Their English seems to be fine when they are probing for ways to access loopholes allowing them to scam large sums of money and insurance seems to be a cash cow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

It depends how you read the OP... 

One way of reading it is that it only impacts people applying/renewing (By this I'm assuming they mean extending) their Non-OA Visa..... The other way is people applying for a Non-OA & anybody over 50 that is extending their long term "Visa" for 1 year, which would obviously include people > 50 on Non-O Marriage Visas... Unfortunately the 2nd option is the only one that makes sense, fortunately TiT so when does common sense come into the equation... 

I apologies I've only got through the 1st 11 pages so far & these questions may already have but what's people view on whether:-

1. Non-O Visa (Retirement) would be included
  2. Non-O Visa (Marriage, Over 50) would be included
  3. Thailand Elite (Over 50) would be included... 

a while back the guy in charge of this health insurance idea, stated in public, there was a thread a while back on it, that

it will be done in stages, and finally even the short term tourists will need some sort of insurance,by that he meant all age groups as well, who knows if the plan will last or work, but it looks like the oa long stay visa is first up, thats how i am reading this new way of selling out, immigration and foreigners to the health industry

Edited by humbug
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, hwt said:

The premiums should not be this high.

In neighboring country Malaysia, a medical insurance with 1m-1.5m THB of annual coverage, and 50k-100k THB of annual deductible, costs about 3k THB a year for age 50, to 5k THB for age 70.

There is really no need to cover every single medical visit.  The person has shown he/she has 800k THB, why is there a need to get an insurance company to pay for 10k, 20k THB of medical treatments?

With a deductible of 50k-100k THB a year, the insurance company probably will never receive a claim from may be 90 percent of customers.  In this way, the premiums will be much lower than the current published figures.

One option that would sort of make sense is to limit it to people using the Income method, i.e. forcing everybody to keep a minimum of 400k in a Thai Bank Account or have insurance to this amount

NB  I'm not saying I agree with this, but if you're forcing the "Money in the Bank" guys to maintain 400,000 in the Bank then why force them to have insurance of this amount when.... they have the money in the bank to cover it. 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, rabas said:

WARNING !

Note the 4 thousand baht Outpatient above is wrong.  I just looked at the original Thai. Google  wrongly translates 40,000 baht to 4000 baht, some kind of software bug.

Thai                   Google translate

4 หมื่นบาท          4 thousand baht   (wrong)

หมื่นบาท          ten thousand baht  (correct)

1 หมื่นบาท          ten thousand baht  (correct)

Outpatient is not 4 thousand baht it is forty thousand baht

It would be great if you could post the original Thai version.  Thanks in advance.

16 hours ago, alfalfa19 said:

does medicare parts a and b work in thailand, does anyone know?

No.  Medicare does not work anywhere outside of U.S.  I suggest looking into long term travel insurance.  I have a policy, One Million U.S. dollars, premium $3,200 per year, $1,000 deductible.  Can pay monthly or up to 1 year.  Can go to any private hospital within Thailand.  Coverage is for Thailand only.  I do have medicare for U.S. coverage.

6 minutes ago, mav000 said:

No.  Medicare does not work anywhere outside of U.S.  I suggest looking into long term travel insurance.  I have a policy, One Million U.S. dollars, premium $3,200 per year, $1,000 deductible.  Can pay monthly or up to 1 year.  Can go to any private hospital within Thailand.  Coverage is for Thailand only.  I do have medicare for U.S. coverage.

Is it possible to ring up a 32,000,000 baht medical bill in Thailand? Damn, that would be impressive!