Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

webfact

The insurance companies will be celebrating for years to come. High premiums, virtually ZERO payouts. Invest in the insurance companies involved now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another proposed solution that proves without a doubt that the Thais do not have the innate ability to solve problems...to solve a problem...one problem...any problem. Never have, never gonna. Today it's health insurance for farangs, last week it was Thai Airways, Pollution, Fires burning up north. Immigration rules. Poverty. Income inequality. Corruption. Corruption. Corrupt people. Education. Declining IQs of Thai children. Traffic deaths. Thai males. Vocational school gang rivalries. Prisons not suitable for humans. Dubai et al.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Despite Ubon Joe's comments, it's pretty obvious it will become mandatory for all of us eventually.

Bottom line is, you can stay if you have money...... Or put another way..... No money no honey.

"Bottom line is, you can stay if you have money.....".

Just out of curiosity why do you think this isn't a prudent strategy for any country to follow? Why would you want folks in your country that will drain its resources?

Health insurance purchased by folks living in another country should be mandatory. No country should be saddled with health expenses for people who choose to live without it. 

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Nemises said:

My AU credit card provides complimentary travel insurance for my 11 month yearly Thai “holiday”. I’ll just flash the Imm Office my credit card. Too easy. 

i'm sure that will work,  just fine. :cheesy:

Or is your credit card A4 size, :giggle:

Edited by stanleycoin
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Not really, have worldwide health insurance with my Employer (US Bank) in Singapore plus have an annual travel insurance policy (Only visit Thailand for a week or so at a time, though do have a Non-O visa here so am following this thread in case it affects my extension due mid-July)

Edit to add... The reason I have the Non-O is because I visit 1-2 times per month (approx 20 times a year) & the Visa Runners screwed up doing that on Visa Exemptions... Now the Hospital Bill dodgers look like they're going to screw it up even more.... IF I ever do decide not to live in Thailand (& I have a long term rental on a Condo here so don't consider myself a tourist, in fact I consider myself as somebody who lives in Bangkok but works in Singapore), it won't be because of the Thais or the Thai government, it will be because of the guys taking the psis & forcing them to clamp down.

So exactly how many Hospital Bill dodgers are there (westerners only please) and what is the annual cost? Source required naturally.

I keep asking but all the govt apologists who know all about it seem unable to respond. Now you seem made of the right stuff, I like the cut of your jib etc, surely you can answer a simple question.

4 hours ago, ocddave said:

I would think Thailand would just prefer they get shipped back to their home countries, where their own countrymen can pay for their care. I assume that is the plan here, either you find a way to pay for your own care, or you go home and your own government deals with you.

And who says that this is not what is already happening. I  am not aware of vast swathes of long stayers throwing themselves on the mercy of government hospitals.

If you know differently then please quote the figures.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

From what I am reading here one group need to get Insurance while another group that is doing an extension of stay does not need it.  I think anyone saying they don't need to purchase insurance is a bunch of crap.  I don't care who the hell is telling you this.  It is a bunch of BS and some people here are buying it because it means they don't have to pay.  Wake up it does affect you and me.  We all have to have the insurance.  Stop playing word games here.  

No you don't you can self insure, but like most things thai that is very light on for details, I will happily open an account and deposit 440 000 baht in it to cover myself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It seems like most postings here are from people who actually live in Thailand year round. I wonder if the government has considered that there are people who stay there 6 months a year on O-A visas. I am guessing that the insurance policies offered on the website are for annual policies. They really have not thought this through very well.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Searat7 said:

It seems like most postings here are from people who actually live in Thailand year round. I wonder if the government has considered that there are people who stay there 6 months a year on O-A visas. I am guessing that the insurance policies offered on the website are for annual policies. They really have not thought this through very well.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

That qualifies as the understatement of the year on TV.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Knocker33 said:

Surely if you are married to a Thai their all caring loving family members will help with bill.  Oh sorry had bit of a fantasy moment there

Yeh right - the moment you cease to be a cash cow - POQ&DCB.

A post commenting on moderation has been removed.   The moderators are not able to review each and every that is posted, rather than commenting on moderation:

Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately via the report function. We do have the ability to remove objectionable messages and will make every effort to do so if we determine that removal is necessary. Please use the report button only for posts in blatant violation of the forum rules. Misuse of the report button is not allowed. Removal is a manual process so please realize we may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately. Responding to objectionable messages is discouraged.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/terms/

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rott said:

So exactly how many Hospital Bill dodgers are there (westerners only please) and what is the annual cost? Source required naturally.

I keep asking but all the govt apologists who know all about it seem unable to respond. Now you seem made of the right stuff, I like the cut of your jib etc, surely you can answer a simple question.

It doesn't matter whether it was 1 or 1,000, the simple answer is enough to make the Thai government to believe that it's a problem and feel the need to introduce compulsory health insurance for all of us

P.S. I don't know how many people were abusing Visa Exempts either, but my answer would be the same, I.E.  Enough...   

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MiNombreEsFicticious said:

Another proposed solution that proves without a doubt that the Thais do not have the innate ability to solve problems...to solve a problem...one problem...any problem. Never have, never gonna. Today it's health insurance for farangs, last week it was Thai Airways, Pollution, Fires burning up north. Immigration rules. Poverty. Income inequality. Corruption. Corruption. Corrupt people. Education. Declining IQs of Thai children. Traffic deaths. Thai males. Vocational school gang rivalries. Prisons not suitable for humans. Dubai et al.

What do you expect? Their behaviour and problem-solving fits Thais' mindset of 5-year olds...

40 minutes ago, Melbun said:

You have to think ahead. That's why a lot of jokers here are pissing their pants. No forward thinking and no contingency plans. Too many ostriches burying their heads in the sand hoping it will all fizzle out "It Won't"

You seam to have an axe to grind.

I suspect it's because you can't, and will never be able to afford,  to live here.

Why else are you going on about something,  that does not effect you.

as a tourist. :coffee1:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Nemises said:

My AU credit card provides complimentary travel insurance for my 11 month yearly Thai “holiday”. I’ll just flash the Imm Office my credit card. Too easy. 

Does the Insurance provided by the AU credit card provide, in the Thai language, a explanation of bneefits and a Certificate of Cover? Not Easy. Hard. This is the final "nail in the coffin" for retiring to Thailand.  

• Like 1