Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

webfact

23 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

If medical self-insurance translates to higher financial deposit requirements, are visa agents now going to get into the "self-insurance" business as well? No doubt.

Just looks like more opportunity for corruption to me. Insurers selling overpriced policies to people forced to buy them, or visa agents gouging foreigners and immigration officers taking bribes to circumvent these regulations.

If Thailand's so worried about getting stuck with unpaid medical bills from foreigners, why, pray tell, have they required that retirees tie up 800K for 5 months and 400,000 baht permanently on a year round basis? Money which could be used in a medical emergency? And if Thailand's so worried about getting stuck with unpaid medical bills from foreigners, why didn't they consider allowing foreigners to buy into the national health care system? Especially, foreigners who have Thai family here?

And how about simplifying immigration requirements, Thailand? There'd be so much less stress. Fewer expats having heart attacks, strokes, nervous breakdowns, abusing alcohol, suffering from insomnia, eating disorders and anxiety from worrying about their next 90 day report, TM-30 report, bank letter, or visa renewal. Less stress equals less burden on Thailand's health care system.

What'd'ya say, Thailand?

That's a great lecture, very convincing. Next time try to go to a zoo and lecture monkeys who try to steal your stuff. See how that works out for you. 

Edited by uzynkotak
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, Deerculler said:

Most of us are seniors who have retired here.
Getting insurance cover for pre-existing medical conditions is next to impossible.
Has anyone got a sensible answer please?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Not saying to do this but I guess many will just lie.

If your goal is to just get the insurance to qualify to stay here.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

Nothing about extensions?

"According to Nattawuth, the new rule applies to both new applicants for the non-immigrant visa (O-A), which offers a stay of up to one year, and those wishing to renew their visa. Each renewal is valid for one year."

This from the Phuket News.   Of course we'll have to wait and see what the actual Police Order says, but at face value, the new requirement is only for an O-A visa, and not the Non Imm O visa extensions that most of us have (retirement/marriage/dependents etc).   The O-A is already different, as it can only be applied for in your home country or country of permanent residence.   It also requires both medical and police certification, neither of which is required by local Immigration Offices.

UPDATE: Phuket Immigration Chief Col Kathathorn Kumthieng confirmed to The Phuket News today (May 14) that he has been informed of the new requirement but that he has yet to receive an order for his office to start applying it when processing applications for one-year Non-Immigrant O-A permits-to-stay.

Col Kathathorn also confirmed that the new insusrance requirement applies only to Non-Immigrant O-A "retirement" visas.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Is Siam Reap super polluted?

Zero pollution (beyond the normal Asian trash thrown around).

Air was completely clear, there was a bit of field burning between Poipet and Siem Reap, but it didn't seem to hang around.

Very similar to Chiang Mai ten years back in the social 'feel', I really liked it.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Just for info. none of this has been approved by immigration to implement.  They will need to approve it (if in fact they do) and set rules accordingly.

If it hasn't been approved why did they say the cabinet has approved it?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, zydeco said:

I've seen this problem before among posters. You still think of the 800,000 as YOUR money. But it's now THEIR money.

Absolutely correct...and now they want more!  How are we going to come up with that?  What are the options now?  Other countries? Philippines? Vietnam? Cambodia? Bali? Malaysia? etc.....We can all see where this is going.  This is only the begging.  There will be more requirements of all kinds.  Just give it a little more time.  BJ is gone, but his legacy continues. Times are very quickly changing...get Plan "B" ready... 

4d16a702b639d272bb82e755cb211d3e82c9a18cb3f9cfa55a395bc297ffeb0b.jpg

• Haha 1

On 5/14/2019 at 4:48 AM, Orac said:

Yes - the over 50 bit does imply just retirement extensions but not clear if they will include those of us on marriage extensions.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The statement is quite clear... those over the age of 50 require health insurance... on any long term visa.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

It doesn't matter whether it was 1 or 1,000, the simple answer is enough to make the Thai government to believe that it's a problem and feel the need to introduce compulsory health insurance for all of us

P.S. I don't know how many people were abusing Visa Exempts either, but my answer would be the same, I.E.  Enough...   

I'm thinking its based more on greed, there is always someone lurking behind the curtain looking to feed from the trough, Thai's are more than willing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Okay, we have insurance.
Malaysia and Indonesia have that.
I can accept that.

I just wish they would they would get there act together on immigration issues and all do the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

3 hours ago, Billy Bloggs said:

So everytime I go for treatment anywhere my passport is copied, so someone is incompetent here as all hospitals have to do is notify immigration, then the person is flagged and either on exit or they report they are held to account. If however its a problem of so many illegals who don't report then they have a bigger problem than people not paying at hospitals.

Exactly, well said.

• Like 2

But then there this :- 

"UPDATE: Phuket Immigration Chief Col Kathathorn Kumthieng confirmed to The Phuket News today (May 14) that he has been informed of the new requirement but that he has yet to receive an order for his office to start applying it when processing applications for one-year Non-Immigrant O-A permits-to-stay.

Col Kathathorn also confirmed that the new insusrance requirement applies only to Non-Immigrant O-A "retirement" visas."

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/cabinet-approves-mandatory-health-insurance-for-long-stay-visas-71424.php#pLgXBXuJ2VvlgRuJ.99

Apologies if some one has already posted this I'm only up to page 38  so far!  
O-A makes sense as each embassy will be in a better position if insurance offered in their respective country is acceptable or not. I don't think immigration office in Thailand will be able to do that.

Sent from my JKM-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

On 5/14/2019 at 5:10 AM, gunderhill said:

More vagueness.

BUPA Thailand told me that because I was hypertensive but maintained by a few little pills every day I had to sign a waiver stating that if I incurred any health problems due to it then I would not be covered. After a few years my rate was getting ridiculous and I also did not trust them as just about anything can be related to high blood pressure so I quit them.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, gmac said:

But then there this :- 

"UPDATE: Phuket Immigration Chief Col Kathathorn Kumthieng confirmed to The Phuket News today (May 14) that he has been informed of the new requirement but that he has yet to receive an order for his office to start applying it when processing applications for one-year Non-Immigrant O-A permits-to-stay.

Col Kathathorn also confirmed that the new insusrance requirement applies only to Non-Immigrant O-A "retirement" visas."

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/cabinet-approves-mandatory-health-insurance-for-long-stay-visas-71424.php#pLgXBXuJ2VvlgRuJ.99

Apologies if some one has already posted this I'm only up to page 38  so far!  

Perhaps this is more accurate:   http://hss.moph.go.th/show_topic.php?id=2808

9 hours ago, gentlemanjackdarby said:

I'm not sure that all U.S. medical insurance does

I know that employer group plans certainly do and policies sold on the government exchanges do as well, but not all citizens have access to the exchanges;

It's unfortunate that the exchanges aren't functioning as intended because a lot of the big insurance companies have withdrawn - when I last looked at coverage available where I live, it was not very good and fairly expensive

Yes it is expensive. I pay 730USD per month with up to 7000USD maximum out of pocket. I'm 63. This is through CoveredCA which is California's version of Obamacare.

My policy says they will cover me outside of the USA for emergency situations to save my life but nothing more. I'm not sure how they decide this unless it is in the codes the hospital exchanges with Blue Shield. By the way, Blue Shield already has payment structures set up with hospitals all over the globe so having coverage here is not a matter of logistics.

Folks dont worry Dr Nikki can write you a Heath insurance policy up to age 130 that gives you unlimited coverage and no deductible for 500 baht a year.....

dr-nick-riviera.jpg

Edited by fforest1

8 minutes ago, jmd8800 said:

Yes it is expensive. I pay 730USD per month with up to 7000USD maximum out of pocket. I'm 63. This is through CoveredCA which is California's version of Obamacare.

My policy says they will cover me outside of the USA for emergency situations to save my life but nothing more. I'm not sure how they decide this unless it is in the codes the hospital exchanges with Blue Shield. By the way, Blue Shield already has payment structures set up with hospitals all over the globe so having coverage here is not a matter of logistics.

Have you not looked for better rates with another company? In two years you'd have nearly free coverage via Medicare if you returned home. Might be worth considering as the "savings" you have by living in Thailand are being eaten by the insurance costs.