Economic issues for new Thai government

webfact

Economic issues for new Thai government

business-1730089_1280-1024x682.jpg

As of press time, political parties from both sides are racing to sign up coalition partners. After the much-awaited general election, finally, there are signs that Thailand may soon have a new government.

Regardless of whichever political camp manages to form the government, it will face a difficult task to boost the Thai economy amid the internal and external challenges. Here are some of the issues that the economic team of the new government would have to pay special attention to.

Export slump

First, weaker-than-expected Thai export growth is now a biggest concern of local business. The export sector has been a main engine driving the country’s economic growth. However, the prospects of Thai outbound shipments this year are not positive.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/economic-issues-for-new-thai-government/

Me thinks, once again, that if Thailand wants to keep buying military toys then it's fine to keep the Bht strong. 

However, if Thailand want to strengthen its exports then it should consider devaluating the Bht before its too late... for me!????

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Oziex1 said:

"Thailand may have a new Government"

I'd like to see that, unfortunately I  only see the old one rebooted. 

That old government didn’t solve economic issues. What hope with this rebooted government 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, LazySlipper said:

Me thinks, once again, that if Thailand wants to keep buying military toys then it's fine to keep the Bht strong. 

However, if Thailand want to strengthen its exports then it should consider devaluating the Bht before its too late... for me!????

Since 1997, exchange rates for the THB has been set by market forces. Seems the rest of the world thinks that Thailand with its high current account balance is doing fine. Meanwhile the US is looking at that balance to see if Thailand is practising currency manipulation - keeping the Baht artificially low.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

I thought all the economic issues would go away by forcing old gits to tie up 800,000 baht for 5 months in Thai banks every year and then force these pensioners to buy unnecessary Health Insurance from Thai Companies?

Be careful. These private health insurances that hassle us pensioners are mostly not Thai companies but foreign companies with branches in Thailand.

2 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

The strenght of the Thai baht seems to be a longtime thing, and has nothing to do with the military government, because it was exactly the same with former

Governments.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

"Thailand may have a new Government"

I'd like to see that, unfortunately I  only see the old one rebooted. 

Well there is an opposition now which there wasn't;t before.....but they will be outvoted on every issue and are cowed into submission by what is happening with the leader of Future Forward, who is a hero by the way.

3 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

Every foreigner dream, in reality Thai economy is in better shape than most if not all western economies .

its not in deficit , massive foreign currency reserves.

thailand is already on US watch list for currency manipulation , ie under valued currency. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

That old government didn’t solve economic issues. What hope with this rebooted government 

Wrong. The value of the baht dropped at the time of the coup; since then it has climbed steadily to be rated higher than it was through most of the Yingluk PTP government period. In the year before the coup, the value of the baht vs US$ had dropped from 31 to 33.5. And that is despite the junta being left the massive stockpiles of rotting rice, and the loss to rice farmers as the value of their crop dropped as it was cleared.

Baht values mid range as supplied by XE.

Not Thailand fault, just unpredictable external factor.

Luckily the best PM a country could ask for is in control. Together with his team of Avengers and economic tsar he will conquer any issues.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, AtoZ said:

Not Thailand fault, just unpredictable external factor.

Luckily the best PM a country could ask for is in control. Together with his team of Avengers and economic tsar he will conquer any issues.

Only in the very narrow sense that wherever the Avengers go gets laid to waste.  Maybe you saw different movies than I did.

58 minutes ago, Ozman52 said:

Wrong. The value of the baht dropped at the time of the coup; since then it has climbed steadily to be rated higher than it was through most of the Yingluk PTP government period. In the year before the coup, the value of the baht vs US$ had dropped from 31 to 33.5. And that is despite the junta being left the massive stockpiles of rotting rice, and the loss to rice farmers as the value of their crop dropped as it was cleared.

Baht values mid range as supplied by XE.

And I thought that economic problems are normally solved by the right fiscal and monetary policies which influence exchange rate. You also over simplified the reason for crop price fluctuation. Think global not local. By the way, the rice scheme cost less than 3% of the GDP and 6% of overall country debt which include previous inherited debts from past governments.  

30 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

And I thought that economic problems are normally solved by the right fiscal and monetary policies which influence exchange rate. You also over simplified the reason for crop price fluctuation. Think global not local. By the way, the rice scheme cost less than 3% of the GDP and 6% of overall country debt which include previous inherited debts from past governments.  

How do you know what the rice scheme cost when PTP refused to publish any actual accounts?

Exchange rates are not linearly related to a county's fiscal policies and monetary policies which are moderating factors.

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

How do you know what the rice scheme cost when PTP refused to publish any actual accounts?

Exchange rates are not linearly related to a county's fiscal policies and monetary policies which are moderating factors.

Read. It's all over in public domain #rice scheme cost. Stop being ignorant just because you lazy to search. 

There is a nice video on How fiscal and Monetary Policies affect exchange rate. Try searching. Much to learn.

10 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

Its the first two words in the headlines that will stump Prayuth's new Junta;  "economic issues"

We will buy another couple of submarines, and a whole Battalion of American APC,s,maybe a new Aircraft Carrier or two, and a Fleet of Coastal Patrol Vessels. ,

What is the issue ?

On 5/29/2019 at 7:12 AM, mikebell said:

I thought all the economic issues would go away by forcing old gits to tie up 800,000 baht for 5 months in Thai banks every year and then force these pensioners to buy unnecessary Health Insurance from Thai Companies?

Old gits just disappear into the Thai jungle. You do what you have to do.

On 5/29/2019 at 7:47 AM, Ozman52 said:

Since 1997, exchange rates for the THB has been set by market forces. Seems the rest of the world thinks that Thailand with its high current account balance is doing fine. Meanwhile the US is looking at that balance to see if Thailand is practising currency manipulation - keeping the Baht artificially low.

Your probably smarter than me. So why are Thai exports hurting so bad.