Are we prepared for a Chinese military ‘invasion’?

webfact

16 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

I disagree. 

The US and it's allies, mainly Europe, SG, Australia, India, Japan, korea would survive that.

But the chinese economy is nothing more than a house of cards that would explode.

China isn't worth anything if they can't export their goods to their main customerbase which is in thr US allied nations. China is the last country that wants war imo.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

I agree, the Chinese government doesn't want a war. But they may not be able to contain the ultra-nationalistic population and the military. Things can easily spin out of control if there is a skirmish in the South China Sea and Chinese lives are lost. They may not be able to contain the public's demand for revenge. There have been close-calls between the air forces and navies as the U.S. conducts its freedom of navigation operations. How long before some crack-pot fighter jockey takes a shot?

Isn't Thailand already opened to chinese migration for more than 200 years?

CP Group is sino-thai, the Three Giants in the banking system is ruled by sino-thai dinasties, Shinawatras, Should I continue with the?

Thai Chinese are the largest minority group in Thailand and the largest overseas Chinese community in the world with a population of approximately 10 million people, accounting for 14% of the total population of the country. 

ethnic group and are well represented in all levels of Thai society. They play a leading role in Thailand's business sector and dominate the Thai economy today. In addition, Thai Chinese have a strong presence in Thailand's political scene with most of Thailand's former Prime Ministers and the majority of parliament having at least some Chinese ancestry.[Thais of Chinese descent are also well represented among Thailand's military and royalist elite.

About modern China, yes I'm terribly worried about it as chinese speaker, but the Commonwealth do it for 4 decades. Moreover, exist The right of a people to self-determination, (of course when people choose) a thing that we forgot thanks to the U.S. foreign policy.

Thai sino chinese aren't chinese. They are thai.

I don't get this thinking, we don't call non-native americans europeans either.
Hong Kong and Taiwan isn't china either.

None of them are big fans of mainland china...

You think chinese are ultra nationalistic? That's why they have to fight capital outflows and brain drain... They couldn't care less about chinese government, they just want to live their life in peace like everyone else.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

we all know how Thailand has bragged about never being colonized. look into that and you see this was achieved by playing to both the french and british sides. strategic alignments with both meant they had a place at the negotiating table. Same in world war 2 the japanese had the run of the country as long as they saved face of never officially being invaded. This is the thai way.  China and the US will be made to play the same game.  

58 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Communist countries don't have a good track record

Modern day China is the most "Capitalistic" country I have been to in recent years! Seeing is believing! When you get down to the "nuts & bolts" communism was & is just another illusion so the "rich" can continue to control the poor, just like democracy ???? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, doggie1955 said:

In the American Army, we had a saying;  "It's better to die on your feet... Then to live your life on your knee's"  

And the Thai's people pick, You know!

The was i see it, Its more of Better live your life then die for someones else ideas and slogans..  :whistling:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, watcharacters said:

Thailand is reasonably  well equipped for a battle.

Wasn't it just a few years ago Thailand had a conflict with Cambodia over the jurisdiction of a temple along the border?

Shhhh!  don't mention that as Thailand didn't fair to well out for any part of this little adventure into a real conflict.. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Thailand's record for at least the last 100 years is that it is adept at bending & slithering between opposing external forces. Smiling pleasantly all the while ... Nothing new here.

So true. Territorial consessions helped to keep several foreign powers from colonizing this fair land in the last century.

Edited by Benmart
spelling

4 hours ago, LongTang said:

Armed with Chinese submarines and a military regimen, I don't think the choice is that difficult..

But on a more serious note, They will go with whomever they will perceive as the stronger one As they always did.

Is that such a bad idea?  Remember that German guy who attacked the Brits and Russians at the same time?  What happened to him?

This is just a ramble based on conversations from 25 years ago so no need get into a heated argument about it.

I'm not a scholar on the issue but in the mid 1990s we sometimes had these discussions concerning  China's potential for being able to easily amass a 20 million man army due to the large disparity between males to females in their population. Some theorized a high level of homosexuality and others theorized that they would be spilling over into neighboring regions. Vietnam was already shipping brides to lonely Chinese farmers and widowers at that time. Vietnam has a slightly higher ratio of women to men.

The heavy influx of China's tourism is evidence that some of those theories were at least partially valid, Though they are generally a mixed crowd  with a temporary agenda , Chinese travel to Thailand (peacefully so far) in numbers well above 20 million on a yearly basis.

The old rule of war as a means of obtaining resources and strategic position was also discussed optimistically  but no definite predictions of Thailand being invaded and annexed as a Chinese possession. Because of Thailand's close association with the west, It probably would end up as another conflict  similar to South Korea , South Vietnam or the Cuban missile crisis. 

Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar were considered as potential sacrificial lambs or "concessions" to avoid a full scale war. Every time I see those hordes at the airport , walking street  and even their giant tour buses at residential apartment buildings in non tourist areas around Bangkok. I'm at least glad to see that Thailand did not turn into one gigantic Aleppo battlefield.

If I'm not mistaken China was the largest economy in the world before the British Empire

took offense to China's dumping their illegal opium and made them pay reparations in the form of territorial concessions . The French got in on the act in the second Opium war to also get a piece of the action..  I would not blame China for holding a grudge against the ways of the civilized west but they seem to have bigger fish to fry trying to feed and improve the quality of life for more than a billion people.   Thailand invasion ?  I'd call the current situation a perpetual occupation for the time being......

Hopefully they don't all decide to become Pilgrims with a manifest destiny and move all native Thais to a dusty reservation somewhere. .....

Edited by Seth1a2a
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, wisperone said:

How can it be a invasion when Thailand is opening the front door and rolling out the red carpet for the Chinese to come in.

Exactly,  Chinese tourism invades Thailand daily.  Nobody cares as long as the money is flowing in.

47 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Is that such a bad idea?  Remember that German guy who attacked the Brits and Russians at the same time?  What happened to him?

Was that the guy who caused Churchill to remark, "We have slaughtered the wrong pig"

Here's Mahatir as quoted in today's 'Australian':

“Yes, there may be some spying. But what is there to spy (on) exactly in Malaysia? We are an open book,” the 93-year-old said at the Future of Asia forum.

Mahathir said Huawei had access to research “far bigger than the whole of Malaysia’s research equivalent.

“So we try to make use of their technology as much as possible.

“Everybody knows, if any country wants to invade Malaysia, they can walk through, and we will not resist because it’s a waste of time,” he added.

Not a particularly nice man, Mahatir, but very intelligent.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

If the Chinese were to invade, the only thing to do would be to stick your Head down between your Knees, and kiss your A%% goodbye given China,s Military might.

Chinese ladyboys on the march!

Target-Nana Plaza and Pattaya...

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Benroon said:

I think you're confusing Thailand with Italy !

8 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Thailand is called the italy of SEA for a reason, in WW2 they did the exact same thing italy did. 

? when the death of your citizens and destruction of your country followed by it's capitulation is the inevitable result of going to war, why would you choose to go to war? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

The US prefers to participate in  conflict well away from it's own  back door.

We'd love to conflict Canada or Mexico. Certainly take on any of those island nations out in the Caribbean too.

7 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

I disagree. 

The US and it's allies, mainly Europe, SG, Australia, India, Japan, korea would survive that.

But the chinese economy is nothing more than a house of cards that would explode.

China isn't worth anything if they can't export their goods to their main customerbase which is in thr US allied nations. China is the last country that wants war imo.

Are you assuming that the countries you listed would rush to help the US?

I very much doubt that.