‘Furious aunts’ fined Bt12,000 each, handed suspended jail terms

snoop1130

‘Furious aunts’ fined Bt12,000 each, handed suspended jail terms

By The Nation

fbb781628ef1e86464857dbb2b550699.jpeg

The two so-called “furious aunts” were handed a suspended jail term, on top of a fine of Bt12,000 each, for taking a hammer to a car blocking the gate of their home in Bangkok’s Prawet district last year.

Rattanachat Saengyoktrakarn and Maneerat Saengpattarachote made headlines in February 2018 after video clips of their crimes went viral. Public condemnations that flooded their way quickly turned to sympathy, though, after people learned how their family had struggled with the disorderly parking of the customers of surrounding illegal markets.

The owner of the car they attacked, for example, had parked the vehicle right in front of their gate, making it impossible for the family’s vehicle to go into and out of the house. 

The Phra Khanong Provincial Court  convicted Rattanachat and Maneerat of damaging the property of another person. However, the court noted that there were grounds for leniency.

“Both have confessed to their crime, which was done out of stress and anger accumulating over a long period of time. As well, they have submitted Bt50,000 in cash to pay the owner of the damaged car,” the court noted.

The court reduced the fine from Bt18,000 each to Bt12,000 each. The standard three-month jail term was reduced to two months, and then suspended given that both defendants had not previously committed a crime.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30370287

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-05-30

7 hours ago, Inn Between said:

Ticketed and towed away where I come from. I suspect the bill would be at least a few hundred dollars between the fine and towing/storage charges. Had someone decide that beating the crap out of the car with a hammer was a better idea, they'd also face destruction of property charges. 

You can get the former in Thailand??? 

Where I live, if you block certain shops, they will hide a metal spike or nail in a cigarette packet so that when you drive off you will have a puncture. No one says anything but you have a slow puncture until you get the repair done.

looking back at the title!

- how sad is it, when nephew dobs them in

either that or the 'aunties' term relates to the alternative urban descriptor for a mamasan...

and they were losing parking space for visiting johns?

'Standard Issue' non negotiable witches hats would have been better! more effective and cheaper

Unless they were wearing them instead?

Edited by tifino

13 hours ago, trigpoint said:

Absolutely disgusted by this sentence, sends a message to people you can block people in on their own driveway and get away with it. 

Won't happen in US. Had a new next door neighbor block my driveway and after ringing his doorbell to ask him to move so I could get out I called the police. 2 officers arrived and rang the bell ,he wouldn't answer. They called a tow truck at which point he came out when it arrived and said he would move it. The officer said "Oh no, we saw you hiding behind the curtains when we rang the bell so since you made us wait here and call for a tow your paying a ticket for blocking a driveway, the tow, and impound fee. You could have just avoided this by moving your car ! "

• Like 2

14 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Is the penalty for blocking a driveway a ticket or having your car hammered by two angry women?  Do they do that in your country?

In my former country you contract a tow truck company and they keep your driveway clear.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Is the penalty for blocking a driveway a ticket or having your car hammered by two angry women?  Do they do that in your country?

Not a hammer but they return to find 2 very flat tyres ????

• Like 1

Ok.  That's probably as close to justice as you'll get in Thailand.  Did the fine the jerk who blocked their driveway?  I hope they did.  It should have been about 12,000 THB.  But probably not as he was driving a 2,000,000 THB urban tank and felt he/she was kon piiset, a privilege person, and need not abide by common courtesy.  

16 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

1 hour ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

In my former country you contract a tow truck company and they keep your driveway clear.

Edited by connda

16 hours ago, tifino said:

looking back at the title!

- how sad is it, when nephew dobs them in

either that or the 'aunties' term relates to the alternative urban descriptor for a mamasan...

and they were losing parking space for visiting johns?

'Standard Issue' non negotiable witches hats would have been better! more effective and cheaper

Unless they were wearing them instead?

Aunties is the nice term for "Old Toms"

Obviously I think that referring to them as Old Toms or Old, angry, middle class dykes would be disgusting.

Neither would I be prepared to accept anyones prejudiced observation (based purely on their hard-faced aggressive appearance) that they are just the sort of repellent, mildewed, barren, junta supporting, bourgeois hags, that many people on TVF would steer well clear of.

And I certainly would not dream of paying a cooperative Thai 5000 baht (and pay for any damage to their vehicle) to block the hideous old cows drive for a month.

Edited by Enoon

20 hours ago, hotchilli said:

She should take the post picture & have it printed on a banner then hang it on her gate... with the words
"Park here at your own discretion" 

... and they try to try you (aka her) for defamation!

- excepting of course the photo would have be taken in the public domain...

Edited by tifino