Extinction Rebellion considers using drones to shut Heathrow Airport

webfact

2 hours ago, jesimps said:

So that's one poster on here wouldn't mind seeing a passenger jet brought down as long as it makes a point for the lefties. These people don't give a fig about climate change etc, it's all about making a political point for the left.

Strange conclusions you come to.

6 hours ago, nglodnig said:

Reminds me of the Animal Liberation Front, who started off saying they would use "peaceful non-violent methods" of protests which swiftly escalated into death threats to animal researchers.

The ALF was not a centrally controlled/run organisation. It was made up of different cells and units who may have acted in the groups name but did not represent any core policy. 

6 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

The ALF was not a centrally controlled/run organisation. It was made up of different cells and units who may have acted in the groups name but did not represent any core policy. 

Exactly like Extinction Rebellion, then.

"We organise in small groups. These groups are connected in a complex web that is constantly evolving as we grow and learn. We are working to build a movement that is participatory, decentralised, and inclusive."

https://rebellion.earth/the-truth/about-us/

5 hours ago, RickBradford said:

Exactly like Extinction Rebellion, then.

"We organise in small groups. These groups are connected in a complex web that is constantly evolving as we grow and learn. We are working to build a movement that is participatory, decentralised, and inclusive."

https://rebellion.earth/the-truth/about-us/

Which means you cannot paint the group as a whole as being violent-the point I was making by the way. 

4 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Which means you cannot paint the group as a whole as being violent-the point I was making by the way. 

Cuts both ways with regard to labeling them all as peaceful etc.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2019 at 6:54 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

I wish them well and every success in that. Heathrow airport is an abomination and should have been closed decades ago.

a lot of people on this forumn would have trouble getting to los without it.

13 minutes ago, Morch said:

I think it's the intention that counts. Or maybe how serious the intention is?

The fact they have given advance warning of their intent, indicates to me they do not intend to take life. 

I have heard absolutely no threats to take anyone’s life. 

I have no problem with their use of non violent direct action. 

Edited by Bluespunk

27 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

The fact they have given advance warning of their intent, indicates to me they do not intend to take life. 

I have heard absolutely no threats to take anyone’s life. 

I have no problem with their use of non violent direct action. 

I don't know how serious they are about the drone thing. If they are, then IMO, the advance warning does not make their actions acceptable. It would probably be too risky to fully trust their ability to control all activists, or expect all drone operator to be pro. Comes down to shutting down air traffic - in a way which amounts to a threat. Not a direct threat to take anyone's life - there wasn't a claim there was such a threat.

You can say "non violent direct action", I think many will see it as endangering people's lives.

10 minutes ago, Morch said:

I don't know how serious they are about the drone thing. If they are, then IMO, the advance warning does not make their actions acceptable. It would probably be too risky to fully trust their ability to control all activists, or expect all drone operator to be pro. Comes down to shutting down air traffic - in a way which amounts to a threat. Not a direct threat to take anyone's life - there wasn't a claim there was such a threat.

You can say "non violent direct action", I think many will see it as endangering people's lives.

I replied to a post that stated the ALF initially did not threaten lives, they did so later on. They were attempting to link the two groups. My posts have simply been refuting such a link. 

I do not share the view of the “many” you refer to regarding non violent direct action.