Philippines or Cambodia... Where would you relocate to and why?

The proliferation of threads on this subject tells a sad tale of the state of play in Thailand. It's not what it use to be (no further bashing required). Basically I wanna go somewhere fun and friendly where it's like what Thailand used to be in the 70's - 80's. (Don't we all).

My plan B, when Immigration finally require us all to be micro-chipped or wear GPS ankle bracelets, is either Da Phills or Canbodge. Add as a sub list, which city? I hate traffic jams and pollution but want facilities like supermarkets and some vibrancy (once lived in an up country Thai village and went stir crazy).

I should add that Bali and Vietnam were 3rd and 4th choices if anyone wants to comment.

I consider and would like serious comments (some chance with you lot!) on the following criteria.

1. Types of visa... cost and ease of obtaining long term.

2. Medical care.

3. Cost of rented accommodation.

4. Potential and ways to buy property.

5. Food and supermarkets.

6. Language problems.

7. Acceptance and attitude towards foreigners.

8. Women (nature of) and facilities to ensure my knob remains well polished.

9. Anything else essential you wanna add?

Thanks to all for your posts.

Edited by DaRoadrunner

That's funny. I've only been to Manila and Cebu City and neither one seemed to fit the OP's needs. Thinking of the request for not horrible traffic. I had also thought maybe Davao would be better but only a guess based on some research I did.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

That's funny. I've only been to Manila and Cebu City and neither one seemed to fit the OP's needs. Thinking of the request for not horrible traffic. I had also thought maybe Davao would be better but only a guess based on some research I did.

Shocking traffic in both Manila & Cebu, but no where near as bad in Davao and it has the advantage that it's probably (or at least was) largely unspoiled by Expats.

1st time I visited (about 11 years ago) I saw 5 non-Filipinos (2 couples in the hotel & 1 guy with his Filipina), then went to the Barangay & saw 1 foreigner (apparently a German guy who was the only Foreigner within 30 mins of there) - All the locals were amazed at "Johnny Foreigner" and just wanted to chat... 

Last few times the place does have a lot more foreigners visiting with the expected results, hence my recommendation would be to move out to Tagum or Camella a couple of hours north - Big enough to have what an Expat needs but yet to be spoiled by the influence they (WE!) bring 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 2

I have only visited the 2 as a tourist so cannot help too much.

Both seem easy for long term visa.

Medical standards appear to be lower than Thailand.

Food OK for me in Cambodia. PI  neutral opinion.

Both better for English language speaking locals.

Both more friendly to foreigners.

Quite happy to make more visits but am not seriously considering either to stay in long term.

Personally I am considering countries in 2 other regions, not SEA.

As you are interested in PI the TVF poster ExpatPH has made an excellent thread about it here,

very informative and helpful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BestB said:

There is no point asking others how or what they feel because every one has different opinions .

go to one , stay for a month. Go to another and stay for a month and see where you fit in and feel more comfortable .

i enjoy Cambodia but lack of medical care and poorness/ poverty gets to me after few days.

Phils I did not mind if it was not for the people , we speak same language , English , so no excuse to not understand and yet they make everything totally opposite to what I ask.

personally I enjoyed Malaysia but hate the food. 

So you see, get your own feel for the place ????

I agree on Malaysia.  Lot's of good plus categories in Malaysia, inflation has slowed a bit recently, and If I was in the market i would prefer an Indo girl to a Lao village girl.... ???? 

I feel Lao and Cambodia are the 'budget' alternatives to Thailand (aka you can't afford to stay in a 3rd world country and need alternatives).  Not a problem for many of us.

Philippines

Most people speak English

Visas are much easier than LOS

Prices are similar to LOS

Cheaper than Malaysia which is also more conservative than other places but more developed.

Medical care similar to  LOS except for even more English.

With SRRV visa there is the possibility to join the national healthcare system

Mostly well educated people

Nearly zero interracial stigma.

Ladies, although still looking for money, tend to also be looking for love.

Downside would be the food but they do have quite a bit of foreign food. 

Can be dangerous

Many areas are prone to hurricanes

Traffic in areas other than Manila can still be terrible or worse. 

Really really bad for potential drug users

Personal reasons for me 

Vietnam is still too ridgidly controlled bot not nearly as hostile as one might think.  

Great food. 

Cambodia is too underdeveloped and many Khmer Rouge are still in the government.

Medical care has improved but is still not up to par in many places.

Ladies of the night are very likely to be Vietnamese

I personally like the beer but to each his own

Food, bring plenty of Imodium

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"The proliferation of threads on this subject tells a sad tale of the state of play in Thailand. It's not what it use to be"

Please tell me you have been to cambo and the philippines?

hmmm doesn't read like it

Why not post on the their forums for the best advice. People answering here are still in thailand and with good reason.

Your gonna be in shock if you think its a sad tale here....a HUGE shock..Go to both and then see ya back in Thailand usually only takes a few weeks so don't go booking monthly ????

Edited by madmen

6 hours ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

I agree on Malaysia.  Lot's of good plus categories in Malaysia, inflation has slowed a bit recently, and If I was in the market i would prefer an Indo girl to a Lao village girl.... ???? 

I feel Lao and Cambodia are the 'budget' alternatives to Thailand (aka you can't afford to stay in a 3rd world country and need alternatives).  Not a problem for many of us.

Spent 1 year using KL as my base to travel from & I really like Penang (Georgetown recently topped a list of best places to retire to) but retirement in Malaysia (MM2H) is a lot more expensive than Thailand etc... 

I love Indo girls ???? -  

On 5/31/2019 at 10:29 PM, Jingthing said:

Yes for sure many more people than usual are considering other options than Thailand. One really amazing thing about that is for some reason that seriously offends some people that insist Thailand is the only (and of course "the best") expat option on the planet and always will be no matter what has already happened here and will happen in future. 

So true.  So true.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2019 at 11:19 PM, DaRoadrunner said:

1. Types of visa... cost and ease of obtaining long term.

2. Medical care.

3. Cost of rented accommodation.

4. Potential and ways to buy property.

5. Food and supermarkets.

6. Language problems.

7. Acceptance and attitude towards foreigners.

8. Women (nature of) and facilities to ensure my knob remains well polished.

9. Anything else essential you wanna add?

1. Philippines are stress free tourist visa up to 3 year. Then take a day (or week) trip out of the country and start on another 3 year tourists visas. Expect 500US$ a year for tourist visa extensions, including ACR-I card required for all foreigners who stay longer than 2 months. And required ECC exit clearance certificate, after 6 months stay.

No stress with visa here in Philippines.

SRRV Visa if you willing to deposit 10,000 - 20,000 US$ (that can be spent buying condo). Less for ex army personell, and a few others.

13a visa if you marry with a pinay.

2. Medical Care fail in the Philippines compared to Thailand, in my personal opinion after been admitted a few times. Others was satisfied with treatment here, so depends of each medical issue. 

St Luke in Manila is 1 of the very few with good reputation, still the lack of strong pain relief (opiods) can become a big issue for some.

3. Rentals here in Philippines are very limited compared to Thailand, so expect higher rent for less of everything. Takes some serious legwork to find a place to call home.

4. Buy property in Philippines?

Only condo to buy for foreigners, and those who did it mostly complain about red tape, and time spent before all documents was received.

Try to sell a condo here, and see how long that takes, and to what financial loss.

5. Food & Supermarkets.

Western imported food mostly only available in major cities.

In Cebu I find most that I need in supermarket and deli shop. And often eat out.

Local cousine are not famous among foreigners for being delicious, so dont expect similar to thai food. Rather imagine bland, tasteless, chewy.

6. Language problem.

Minor, no problem when talk with people younger than 40. English is business language here, mixed with local lingo, but overall so much easier than Thailand.

7. Acceptance & attitude to foreigners, are some of the best things here. Friendly, curious and welcoming. No obvious hate from male population, no hate crime against foreigners.

Personal safety should be mentioned, dont flash wade of cash, or a top end mobile phone in public. Choose to live in area that other foreigners say is safe.

8. Women.

Easier than Thailand, with 40 million larger population, you won't be alone here. Plenty of coconuts, but they mostly online these days, unless you choose Angeles (mini Pattaya).

Post a personal add on dating sites, and expect minimum 20-50 messages per day, asking if you like to meet.

9. Try out different countries, before decide plan B.

Philippines traffic jam and time wasted travel across the city, can be a nightmare.

Live near where you most often go to, be it Malls, supermarket, beach, or nightlife.

Except Angeles and Manila, expect little or no western oriented nightlife.

If good hospital care is important, only Manila would be my location, still with limitations.

Rumor mill, faster than lightning. Behave or be very discreet.

Don't play with good womens feelings, revenge will get a new meaning if you mess with the wrong one.

Strictly demand proper identity card before you're alone with anyone that might be younger than 18. Police here get better and better, and arrests are frequent.

Many positives, you will be treated as her King (their words). Always there to make you happy. Total faithful, and demand (!) the same from you. Will save you lots of money, and mostly much less demanding for allowance, compared with some other country in the region.

Bottom line, not comparable with Thailand, but if one can accept Cambodia, Philippines are a realistic comparable alternative.

Easy visa, english widely spoken, and friendly natives.

• Thanks 1

I would always select a next Country based on their Visa procedures.

If they are complicated and annoying than that is a reason to not stay there.

In Phillipines i never been to an immigration office even once.

I go to a travel agent they are located in a mall i give them my passport plus fees plus a 1000 pesos commission and they will get me a new visa and fill in all documents.

but there are not much documents at all to submit.

few days later i pick up my passport. i don't even know where immigration is located and i dont have to go there  early mornings lining up and all that misery. 

• Thanks 2