Pattaya is dead now

dreaming

On 7/27/2019 at 12:34 PM, Chivas said:

Are you living in a parallel universe. The City is EMPTY of traditional visitors from the UK Euro Nations Aussies and Kiwis which make up 95%

Very busy lol

Not empty. Lot of Aussies about last time I was out.

• 3 months later...
On 7/17/2019 at 1:13 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

That doesn't work if one wants to take a BG to the beach for a week or more. In NZ brothels are legal, but I very much doubt one would be able to afford them for a week, unless a billionaire, and in that case the gold diggers are available for free.

Yeah that's true... F'ing expensive...  something like $100 for 30 minutes. Bjs with condom only.  The brothels in NZ aren't anywhere near the fun that can or could be had in Thai bars.

I have been twice and chose not to use the services provided. I found the atmosphere to be sterile and uninteresting.

• Thanks 1

On 7/29/2019 at 1:37 PM, grifbel said:

Excellent points.  These "lowest low season ever", "driest rainy season ever", "wettest dry season ever" posts are monotonous and never backed up by data!

Yet, records are made to be broken. 

In the past, there have been direct reasons for very low seasons, or quiet high seasons.  Eg. bird flu, tsunami etc.

This season/s, the reasons are man made.  Eg. strong baht, visa law changes etc.  

On 11/10/2019 at 6:26 PM, Leaver said:

Yet, records are made to be broken. 

In the past, there have been direct reasons for very low seasons, or quiet high seasons.  Eg. bird flu, tsunami etc.

This season/s, the reasons are man made.  Eg. strong baht, visa law changes etc.  

Would have thought for the vast majority of high season tourists 30 days free on arrival is sufficient, a tourist visa in home country is easy enough to get for those who to stay up to 3 months. The exchange rate isn't that different from last high season and certainly doesn't seem to have affected the Russian tourist market which is already arriving in numbers. Easily negated by good accomodation deals as you've cited in the past there is an over supply of.

19 hours ago, kinyara said:

a tourist visa in home country is easy enough to get for those who to stay up to 3 months.

Have you considered the issues the snowbirds face with the new visa laws? 

Many stayed for 4 months, using the consulate letter method. 

How do you propose they get that fourth month in Thailand now?

Do you think they will move 65k every month here, or put 800k in a Thai bank, for only a 4 month holiday?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Leaver said:

Do you think they will move 65k every month here, or put 800k in a Thai bank, for only a 4 month holiday?

Yes I did but they are somewhat in the minority, plenty snowbirds in my condo from different European countries and they are arriving as per usual at this time of year. Last year most seem to be enjoying a regional trip outside the country during their stay now.

6 minutes ago, kinyara said:

Yes I did but they are somewhat in the minority, plenty snowbirds in my condo from different European countries and they are arriving as per usual at this time of year. Last year most seem to be enjoying a regional trip outside the country during their stay now.

Minority, or not, why cause that lucrative segment of the market problems?  Why not create a one time per year, 4 month visa, for those over 50 years of age, for example? 

I know two that are not coming here this year.

I haven't noticed extra activity in my condo block as yet.  I have no doubt some regulars will stay come.  Time will tell.

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I know two that are not coming here this year.

I would likely know more. But I didn't feel it was Visa issues that have deterred them, I would say exchange rates, upward prices and a loss in atmosphere. The latest of that group could certainly be split further. 

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

Minority, or not, why cause that lucrative segment of the market problems?  Why not create a one time per year, 4 month visa, for those over 50 years of age, for example? 

The one constant both here and in neighbouring countries in the region is that visa regulations are rarely static and are subject to change in response to market conditions, so perhaps if Thailand experiences a decline in tourism they may well do so. Never say never.

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

I would likely know more. But I didn't feel it was Visa issues that have deterred them, I would say exchange rates, upward prices and a loss in atmosphere. The latest of that group could certainly be split further. 

The two I know are long term friends.  I know a few aquaintances that will not be coming, also.  Then, there are some familiar "faces" that I will be keeping an eye out for that I know fall into the snowbird category.  Who knows if I will see them this season?

I agree, there is a combination of reasons that will not see this demographic come here in the previous numbers they did, this high season, but for some, I think the visa issues was like the straw on the camels back. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kinyara said:

if Thailand experiences a decline in tourism they may well do so.

They will continue the free Tourist Visa and easier Visa on arrival, which will boost the numbers, but not the group he was meaning.

5 minutes ago, kinyara said:

The one constant both here and in neighbouring countries in the region is that visa regulations are rarely static and are subject to change in response to market conditions, so perhaps if Thailand experiences a decline in tourism they may well do so. Never say never.

Well, they made it more costly with the perpetual 400k in a Thai bank, so I can only see things getting more difficult, or more expensive with insurance, or both.

If they wanted to ease their requirements here, to promote Thailand as a retirement destination, they already would have. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Leaver said:

Can't they do a 2 month at their Thai Embassy , extend a month at immigration and at the end have a nice break by air in an adjoining country whilst bringing plenty of evidence of accommodation and a ticket back to satisfy immigration at the border ? 

16 hours ago, Leaver said:

i stay 6 months on the metv. i dont extend at all and dont worry about tm30.

all i do is border hop every two months. costs about as much as a 30 day extention, give or take a beer or two.

as for the 800k? forget it. not happening. i could afford it but not interested.

On 11/14/2019 at 6:50 AM, fhickson said:

i stay 6 months on the metv. i dont extend at all and dont worry about tm30.

all i do is border hop every two months. costs about as much as a 30 day extention, give or take a beer or two.

as for the 800k? forget it. not happening. i could afford it but not interested.

Have you ever had any problem getting a 6 month visa, after all, you are living here 6 months of the year on a tourist visa. 

On 11/14/2019 at 2:49 AM, beautifulthailand99 said:

Can't they do a 2 month at their Thai Embassy , extend a month at immigration and at the end have a nice break by air in an adjoining country whilst bringing plenty of evidence of accommodation and a ticket back to satisfy immigration at the border ? 

At this stage, this is still possible, but that's a trip to immigration, and you must have a TM30, and a return flight to another country, versus, just going to another country. 

On 11/15/2019 at 5:18 PM, Leaver said:

Have you ever had any problem getting a 6 month visa, after all, you are living here 6 months of the year on a tourist visa. 

more like 8 months. not so far, but i get them in the usa via mail and there is a month or two break in between. feels like they dont refuse to issue as long as you meet the financial requirements. im not sure if the last one breached the 180 day thing, or how thats measured from jan 1st or a running calendar, not sure.

fortunately, i have a place in the usa to stay if there is ever a problem. if there is ever a problem after arrival in thailand, thats it for me. airfare is too much to fool around with.

Edited by fhickson

On 7/28/2019 at 12:22 PM, bkk6060 said:

Yes sure, so what?

But time to grow up Falang they mean very little here.

You do not see Falang because they are too cheap to go. Duh..

Maybe a beer on Soi Buakhow or Soi 7/8.

Yes, it is a long weekend and it is packed so you get the point?

Many Thais and Chinese and others want to come here.

The place is not dying, just the opposite.

Sorry to disappoint....

Pattaya is very busy.

On 7/29/2019 at 12:53 AM, jastheace said:

like many, I am bored of threads saying that pattaya is dead, or not as busy as before or not the same as 'I remember it'. I go to enjoy pattaya from up country for a few days a month, when its quiet, its great, but there is still numerous bars and girls to enjoy,when its busy I venture east to the darkside. pattaya is as good as 20 yrs ago, when busy, it's busier, when quiet, yes maybe quieter. but the town still rocks, always will...….. IMFHO.... thank you and good night …...

And when it is quiet....GOOD!!!! The December/January ultra high season is horrible. Well run business do OK all year round. Badly managed businesses wont survive. Soi 7 & 8...finished...The big beer bar courts....finished. Time to turn bars back into bars....adult music..minimal or zero sports TV screens...and end to the domination of hands up music. Stop pandering to the two week wonder and look at successful bars like scooters and their customer demographics,  music and styled thematics. Generally Thai DJs in Pattaya are just pretending and the music is possibly the worst  inhuman,  stupid music in the world with each bar and club playing the same music DVD of a recording of last weeks Insomnia set. These places deserve to fail. Pattaya needs less people not more. LK metro is thriving old style Pattaya.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fhickson said:

more like 8 months. not so far, but i get them in the usa via mail and there is a month or two break in between. feels like they dont refuse to issue as long as you meet the financial requirements. im not sure if the last one breached the 180 day thing, or how thats measured from jan 1st or a running calendar, not sure.

fortunately, i have a place in the usa to stay if there is ever a problem. if there is ever a problem after arrival in thailand, thats it for me. airfare is too much to fool around with.

When you mentioned 8 months, I was going to ask about the 180 day rule.

I have just posted in another thread that I have my Plan B well and truly ready to go.

I would actually be prepared to do 8 months in Thailand, and a few months elsewhere, if using agents is stopped in the future.

I leave Thailand for sporting events and festivals.  I could plan some of these to be around the 4 months I must be outside.  

I'm also interested if the 180 days is in a calander year, or from the day you enter Thailand.

9 hours ago, Leaver said:

Remove the 2 for 1 from the Billabong Bar, and not only would LK Metro be empty, but so would Billabong Bar itself. 

I never understood it.... surely it would be easier to sell one beer at a time. Are they hoping people forget or don't realize they have another coming? The Triangle started it all off, but it wasn't as if the second one was 'free' as the adverts implied.

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I never understood it.... surely it would be easier to sell one beer at a time. Are they hoping people forget or don't realize they have another coming? The Triangle started it all off, but it wasn't as if the second one was 'free' as the adverts implied.

Never understood it either,don,t go in there as it's very monotonous and too loud,2 for 1? Must be catering to punters who can,t do simple arithmetic.

12 hours ago, Leaver said:

Remove the 2 for 1 from the Billabong Bar, and not only would LK Metro be empty, but so would Billabong Bar itself. 

Lol why would Billabong suddenly double the price. 99% of punters know its 2 for 1 and its even written on the bill for the mentally challenged.

There is a cheaper 2 for 1 offer though at 95 Baht for 2 coolies up the beer bars near Pattaya klang traffic lights albeit only from 9.30 to 11.30pm

28 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Lol why would Billabong suddenly double the price. 99% of punters know its 2 for 1 and its even written on the bill for the mentally challenged.

There is a cheaper 2 for 1 offer though at 95 Baht for 2 coolies up the beer bars near Pattaya klang traffic lights albeit only from 9.30 to 11.30pm

Yeah it's 2 for 1 but you,'re initially paying double for the first drink,and the cheaper bar you mention,a San Miguel is 70 baht normal price,between 9.30-11.30 you get 2 for 115 baht,hardly "2 for 1 "still the punters love it.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, kingdong said:

Yeah it's 2 for 1 but you,'re initially paying double for the first drink,and the cheaper bar you mention,a San Miguel is 70 baht normal price,between 9.30-11.30 you get 2 for 115 baht,hardly "2 for 1 "still the punters love it.

What are you burbling about fella. Its 95 Baht for 2 Tigers. No amount of prevarication from you changes the fact the coolies are 47.5 each for what I drink.....I think SML was 100 baht for 2.

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Lower margin, but high turnover, business model. 

1 hour ago, Chivas said:

Many reasons, from the landlord increasing the rent, to the police stopping all the outdoor tables there.  Who knows?   This Is Thailand?  

I simply said, if The Billabong Bar went to charging 80 baht a beer, like many other places, it would be a lot quieter, and so would LK Metro.