Pattaya is dead now

dreaming

There are quite literally 100s of Chinese tour buses at any time around Pattaya.
I only go to Pattaya once a week but to me there are a lot less than last year. There used to be a traffic jam from Dusit Thani to Central last year but not now. I go to Lukdod shop off North Rd and there are often Indian buses.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8304F1 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 minute ago, Chrisdoc said:

Have been here for many low seasons but nothing like this. I often walk along the beach and the girls come after me. I have noticed one girl before who is more attractive and well dressed than the rest and today she was begging on 2nd road. She can't find a farung to go with so has to beg. I think people are sick of bad Pattaya/Thai hospitality. I have been going to a popular sports bar for 4 years and I walked in today. I have spent thousands of baht there over the years and was busy watching the game and recovering from the heat outside and the guy sitting beside me said"You can't watch the game if you don't drink". I said "Who are you?" He said "The owner " I left. I went to another bar full off Thai staff. Ordered my lunch and was given a plate with no knives, serviettes and no condiments. I had to get up each time to get another drink and in the end the cashier said "You need to ring the bell for service." The bell looked like it last worked 10 years ago and made no sound. There were about 10 staff and 5 customers but the staff were busy joking and looking at their phones. I have worked in customer service,hospitality and sales all my life. If Pattaya passes this off as service why would any tourist want to come here.

Sent from my SM-J730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You bring back fond memories.  The first time I read a post like that it was 2007.  Almost word for word.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chrisdoc said:

Went on my weekly visit today. 11 am Sunday. Dusit Thani to Central in 3 minutes. Saw 3 buses.

Just cruised on my motorbike and saw probably 100 buses.

Traffic and people everywhere 2nd road going north backed up to Soi 13/2. It was so bad on Nua traffic cops at the intersections.

Central mall crowded food court full.

T21 packed.

The dieing city is certainly alive today.

IMG-20190728-WA0024~2.jpeg

• Like 1

Yes but Central is mostly internal tourism. I couldn't see many farung in your photo. It is a long weekend and the Thais come for their holiday. It is normal for Thais to come from Bangkok on the weekend. I think they have a special train for them leaving early mornings. I can only go by my friend and my experience. She is a rather serious Thai lesbian living in the country outside Pattaya. I was sad because her job is gone. I remember last year Beach Rd was a traffic jam all the way due to buses. I only saw three this morning.

Traffic and people everywhere 2nd road going north backed up to Soi 13/2. It was so bad on Nua traffic cops at the intersections.
T21 packed.
809713567_IMG-20190728-WA00242.thumb.jpeg.e7eab80705ecca2c647ffa8bf767edc1.jpeg

52 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

T21 packed.

IMG-20190728-WA0024~2.jpeg

It’s called long weekend, kings birthday and road works all over town 

Edited by BestB

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

You bring back fond memories.  The first time I read a post like that it was 2007.  Almost word for word.

that's maybe because it's true and the place is as big a rip off dump now as it ever was ? 

• Thanks 1

Pattaya has become so polluted over the years that my body has developed a strong allergy response to the air and water.  Until they clean it up I see no reason to return.

Filthy sea water and beaches and trash all over, the decline of the area is gaining momentum beyond anything I ever thought was possible even the really amazingly beautiful girls once seen years ago have vanished .
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gumballl said:

It is my understanding that this is the low season for tourists (across all of Thailand). Wait until after November.

ever the optimist eh? Hopefully, it will remain at this level and then slowly die off,  like a diseased rotting animal.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chrisdoc said:

Yes but Central is mostly internal tourism. I couldn't see many farung in your photo. It is a long weekend and the Thais come for their holiday. It is normal for Thais to come from Bangkok on the weekend. I think they have a special train for them leaving early mornings. I can only go by my friend and my experience. She is a rather serious Thai lesbian living in the country outside Pattaya. I was sad because her job is gone. I remember last year Beach Rd was a traffic jam all the way due to buses. I only saw three this morning.

Yes sure, so what?

But time to grow up Falang they mean very little here.

You do not see Falang because they are too cheap to go. Duh..

Maybe a beer on Soi Buakhow or Soi 7/8.

Yes, it is a long weekend and it is packed so you get the point?

Many Thais and Chinese and others want to come here.

The place is not dying, just the opposite.

Sorry to disappoint....

• Thanks 2

Yes sure, so what?
But time to grow up Falang they mean very little here.
You do not see Falang because they are too cheap to go. Duh..
Maybe a beer on Soi Buakhow or Soi 7/8.
Yes, it is a long weekend and it is packed so you get the point?
Many Thais and Chinese and others want to come here.
The place is not dying, just the opposite.
Sorry to disappoint....

Sorry can you read? I was mainly talking about the 100's of Chinese buses you seem to imagine. I may need to grow up but are you becoming senile ?

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Chrisdoc said:

Sorry can you read? I was mainly talking about the 100's of Chinese buses you seem to imagine. I may need to grow up but are you becoming senile ?

I saw 100's sure.

But , my eyes are really good.

20/20.

Sorry if you cannot see the same...

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I think they have the same people here trying to divert tourists from Pattaya to another location.  I lived there for 3 years and found it stimulating every day.  The only reason I left was business and didn't like the daily commute from Pattaya to Maptaphut.  I can see why born again televangelists would not like it but other than them everyone else I know likes the place.   

As with all these things it comes down to personal taste and choice.  I must admit that in the past I did like Pattaya. I found it an exciting place to holiday and when my family and I lived in Hong Kong, and latterly in  Taiwan,  we looked forward to breaks in both Phuket and Patts.  But that was many many years ago and I have watched the decline of both places (from what attracted me to them)  over those years.  Now it is not to my taste at all and I avoid it when I can. in regard to your last comment, all of my friends loath the place; interesting.  Horses for courses as they say. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Chrisdoc said:

I am a bit confused. Do you live in Pattaya or Rayong? You seem to have a lot of comments about your knowledge of Pattaya at present but then you say you live in Rayong.

I live outside of Rayong and shop in both Pattaya and Rayong.  I don't live in Rayong because of the chemical spills.  I don't live in Pattaya because of the tourists.  I like both places for a weekend.  

4 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

You can read "doom-and-gloom" predictions about the worst-ever low- or high-season that go back even further.  The oldest Pattaya-centric forum still in operation has archives that go back to 2002.  Many of the posts written 16 or 17 years ago are strikingly similar to posts you can read today.  Here are a few quotes from 2002 and 2003 about low season. 

I have no idea what the official figures are for Pattaya, but anecdotal and visual evidence indicates that this low season is likely to be a survival of the fittest test.

The generally accepted figure suggesting tourism is down by 60% is more than bulwarked by knowledge that certain United Nations’ agencies have placed farangus largesse perambulatus walletis on the seriously endangered list.

As an indication of how slow it was, one evening as I was headed to FLB I walked past that large beer bar complex at the beginning of Walking St at a little past 8 PM.  I looked over as I received many "Hello Welcomes" and looked at approximately 80 - 90 ladies in those small beer bars and only saw 2 guys sitting at the bars.

I was in Pattaya from April 14 -30 and then again from May 19-30. It was much slower in May than the month before. A friend and I walk along Soi 7-8 at around 1:00am in the morning, many of the bars had no customers in them. Two dozen bar girls all looking at each other and no clients. I stay on Soi 8 and several time I would leave my hotel late to do internet, etc. a?nd the girls walked up to you and tried to get you to take them, without bar fines even.

The bottom line is business is very slow Cobra Gold is over and no more Gis are in town. It is a buyers market.  So much so that I may go back early next month.

I was in Pattaya from May 6th to June 5th, and guys it is the slowest i've ever seen. The beer bars are empty, and the girls are hungry. 

loads of girls, not many customers,hasnt rained for about 6 days, but before that was raining hard nearly every 2nd day, very hot, a go go's shutting about 2.00am-2.30am, beer bars open all night/morning (reduced lighting/music) police have a mini surge/crackdown about once a week then everything returns back to normal the next day,world cup being shown live in about 90% of all the bars, english hooligans certainly do not exist in pattaya or if they do i havnt noticed them, hotels about 60% full, due mainly to honk (sic) kong/chinese customers.]

Complaints about low season even predate the Internet boards by at least 10 years.  From The Seattle Times,  June 14, 1987:

The declining U.S. dollar has helped raise Pattaya Beach back to its former prosperity as one of Thailand's most popular tourist resorts. A year ago, its annual hotel occupancy was down more than 50 percent from four years earlier, the beaches were littered with trash, the water was becoming polluted, and tourists complained of harassment by transvestites and prostitutes.

The resort's glut of bars, massage parlors and prostitutes created a severe image problem and scared away middle-class and family tourists, the hoteliers said. ...

From The Economist, July 6, 1991:

Today Pattaya is a mess. Uncontrolled building has ruined its shoreline. The sea is coated with a film of raw sewage. Last year so many tourists died in mysterious circumstances that even the shady mafia that controls the town was embarrassed. An alarming proportion of the bar girls, many of whom are in fact transvestites, are HIV positive. Lucky is the hotel with 10% of its rooms occupied. ...

From MT (Management Today), Dec. 1, 1991:

Tourism is one of the key areas being targeted by a Thai government set on growth, and a major clean-up campaign is to be launched to rid the country of its sleazy sex and drugs image.

Of course, none of this changes the fact that 2019 could well be the worst low season ever in Pattaya's history.  But it's also important to keep things in context and gloomy predictions and observations have been around for a very long time.

Evil

• Thanks 1

On 7/27/2019 at 5:33 AM, Viggo McQuaid said:

Just look at Adam Judd, super successful, running a bar, escalating the values of Pattaya. Visitors and expats alike are great people. Clean cut, hard working, very wealthy, from America. Shalom 

Hope this is your idea of a joke.

A Bar Manager, living off women's work, with the odd blog of somewhat strange tourist info at times, is a super successful person...not!

I think we need some better examples.

Edited by couchpotato
spelling

2 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

You can read "doom-and-gloom" predictions about the worst-ever low- or high-season that go back even further.  The oldest Pattaya-centric forum still in operation has archives that go back to 2002.  Many of the posts written 16 or 17 years ago are strikingly similar to posts you can read today.  Here are a few quotes from 2002 and 2003 about low season. 

Complaints about low season even predate the Internet boards by at least 10 years.  From The Seattle Times,  June 14, 1987:

Of course, none of this changes the fact that 2019 could well be the worst low season ever in Pattaya's history.  But it's also important to keep things in context and gloomy predictions and observations have been around for a very long time.

Evil

Evil. You are really Jsixpack?

like many, I am bored of threads saying that pattaya is dead, or not as busy as before or not the same as 'I remember it'. I go to enjoy pattaya from up country for a few days a month, when its quiet, its great, but there is still numerous bars and girls to enjoy,when its busy I venture east to the darkside. pattaya is as good as 20 yrs ago, when busy, it's busier, when quiet, yes maybe quieter. but the town still rocks, always will...….. IMFHO.... thank you and good night …...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I live outside of Rayong and shop in both Pattaya and Rayong.  I don't live in Rayong because of the chemical spills.  I don't live in Pattaya because of the tourists.  I like both places for a weekend.  

I lived near Sattahip for nigh on 2 yrs, close enough , but <deleted> too close. temptation got to me about 1030 every evening...…….

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

Evil

Excellent points.  These "lowest low season ever", "driest rainy season ever", "wettest dry season ever" posts are monotonous and never backed up by data!

• Like 1