How long can you ride a bike with foreign plates in Thailand

I spend about 5-6 months a year in Thailand. The crazy rates of tax are putting me off buying a bike - it wouldn't get used all that much anyway, but would still be good to have. If I bring a bike with foreign plates in (say it's registered in Laos or Vietnam or Malaysia) can I keep it in Thailand that long, or would I be asking for trouble?

I think the answer is I'd be asking for trouble... wondered if anyone had any experience though.

http://www.customs.go.th/content_with_menu1.php?ini_menu=menu_individual_submenu_02&ini_content=individual_F01_160909_01_02&lang=en&left_menu=menu_individual_submenu_02_160421_03_160922_01

Allowed period for the vehicles to remain in Thailand is one month, which may be extended to another one month for each time of request, but not exceeding six months in total from the date of import. However, this must not exceed the period of stay allowed by the immigration offices.

But they may ask you to pay a bond for the duties which you would have to pay if you don't export the vehicle again, good luck trying to get this back when you leave the country...

"The crazy rates of tax are putting me off buying a bike."
If that is the main reason for not buying a bike in Thailand then it depends if you have a special bike in your mind like BMW, KTM, 1000ccm and above. Then it's getting difficult.
If you are looking for a bike, racing, touring, 650 ccm (Honda, Kawasaki, about Yamaha I'm not sure) then you have some choices to get a bike that will cost you around the same as in Europe. 
There also some foreigners, like myself who are selling their bikes that have been well maintained. I sold a Kawaski with less than 10k kilometers for 70% down from the new price and soon I will sell another Honda with less than 7k kilometers. Maybe you can just look around and you will find a bike that suits you. That might be a more economical solution. Good luck!

16 hours ago, Percy Penguin said:

Yeah, that's quite a catch...

last year didn't some research regarding same issue but with a car from Malaysia (same model selling in Thailand are also from Malaysia) went to police, land transportation and couple other places to aks for the charges and what time frame could I drive with plates from Malaysia,,, final outcome stay away from it, you will be running into trouble and so much extra charges/taxes they are not worth the price difference buying in Thailand VS outside

1 hour ago, Asawak said:

"The crazy rates of tax are putting me off buying a bike."
If that is the main reason for not buying a bike in Thailand then it depends if you have a special bike in your mind like BMW, KTM, 1000ccm and above. Then it's getting difficult.
If you are looking for a bike, racing, touring, 650 ccm (Honda, Kawasaki, about Yamaha I'm not sure) then you have some choices to get a bike that will cost you around the same as in Europe. 
There also some foreigners, like myself who are selling their bikes that have been well maintained. I sold a Kawaski with less than 10k kilometers for 70% down from the new price and soon I will sell another Honda with less than 7k kilometers. Maybe you can just look around and you will find a bike that suits you. That might be a more economical solution. Good luck!

Given that 2nd hand scooters (110/125cc)sell for not much less than new price why are the bigger bikes you refer to at such a discount?

On 6/1/2019 at 10:36 AM, jackdd said:

http://www.customs.go.th/content_with_menu1.php?ini_menu=menu_individual_submenu_02&ini_content=individual_F01_160909_01_02&lang=en&left_menu=menu_individual_submenu_02_160421_03_160922_01

But they may ask you to pay a bond for the duties which you would have to pay if you don't export the vehicle again, good luck trying to get this back when you leave the country...

Thousands of bikers arrive in Thailand from Malaysia every month without problems. 

Only on Samui I an see Malay numberplates arrive every weekend. 

35 minutes ago, flbkk said:

Yeah, but this is Thailand, what's the betting Somchai the Customs man would require a brown envelope or impound your bike.

The purchase price here is high, but this is not so bad once you consider that the resale price later reflects this. Main problem with buying bikes here, if it's a used one, they often have bent frame and forks, which Somchai will have tried to hide.

We see many bikes and cars from neighbouring countries on the islands , recently on KP was in the region of 20 classic mini coopers some with U.K. number plates some with Singapore and Malaysian plates I can only assume that they get some sort of short stay permit if they enter Thailand . On Samui I have seen a few cars with U.K. plates one of them an old Merc has been on the island at least 7 years don’t know what would happen if they took it over to the mainland . I had a Triumph Stag Convertible that I wanted to bring over from the U.K. the import tax was extortionate more than the car was worth (26 years old ) sadly I ended up selling it ☹️ but hey if you want to live  in paradise some things you have to give up . 

Archived