How to fix default language in PC?

waxpro

whenever I surf microsoft, amazon, google , youtube,, all option tabs by default appear in Thai,

the annoying issue in this matter is when required to follow some steps, and I can't Thai to do the necessary steps or follow some options,

I set the local region in USA, but still did not solve the problem,, I need the default language settings to be English, so that I can understand the default display tabs, etc..

is there any solution to fix this problem? if someone had the same issue and fixed it,, please share your experience,

with many thanks!

... same here, damn Onedrive menu (Outlooks cloud storage) in Thai is a bummer & sucks biggly ...

Got halfway around that by having the page translated by browser (Chrome), give that a try ... might not affect all of the tabs, buttons etc. on the page though ... 

You might want to check your browser settings for your language settings.

I get sites in English even with a Thai IP. I use Chrome and have it set to English as the primary language. 

Only local Thai sites appear in Thai.

• Like 1

To give precise advise the version of the operating system (Windows ?) as well as the browser are needed.

Both have settings that define desired language(s) and a couple of other localizations (number/date/time format etc.).

And as written above: the majority of websites do NOT use Thai language based on IP address.

An exception are frequent occurrences of commercial/ads in Thai (if not blocked).

Edited by KhunBENQ

Hey guys,, thanks for the feedback!

The problem happening on a desktop PC, running with Windows 7,

Browsers: chrome, and FireFox mozilla,,

I set location in USA,

just local time/date,

I have VPN - (chrome add-on),,, but often not working / allowing access,

I use bing ads platform, and often use live chat with them,,, there is noway to translate such frames looks like pop-up,

also google ads manager,,

Every time I login, I clean all stored cookies, prefetch, temp files, diskcleaner etc.. to release some space, login to fb, IG, twitter.. found the option where to translate in every time I login, but no options for youtube, amazon, mico soft,, etc..

is there anything can do with browsers settings? daily annoying matter indeed..

plz share your comment if any solution for this issue,, many thanks in advance really!

• Like 1

Windows 7 / Windows Vista

NOTE: This method uses the British English keyboard layout as an example.

1. Click Start and in the Search box, type intl.cpl and then press ENTER.

2. On the Keyboards and Language tab, click Change keyboards.

3. Click Add. The Add Input Language window appears.

4. Expand the language that you want. For this example, expand English (United Kingdom).

5. Expand the Keyboard list, click to select the United Kingdom check box, and then click OK.

6. Under Default input language, in the dropdown menu, select English (United Kingdom) - United Kingdom, and then click OK.

7. In the Regional and Language Options dialog box, click OK.

NOTE: The Language bar appears on the taskbar. When you rest the mouse pointer over this bar, a tooltip appears that describes the active keyboard layout.

8. Click the Language bar, and then click EN English (United Kingdom).

For Google and other browsers, you'll have to get into the settings and set English as your default language.

If that doesn't work for whatever reason, please see: 

https://superuser.com/questions/363408/how-do-i-change-my-chrome-language-back-to-english

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdL7QkUDG5M

in addition to any other helpful hints...

if you do a simple Google search; and I have done on a W7 laptop:

don't go straight into the search term actions, but first,

- key in an alternative search location

i.e https://google.com.au    a Default English Language link

- because, as you know you'd otherwise be defaulted to google.com.th

4 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Windows 7 / Windows Vista

NOTE: This method uses the British English keyboard layout as an example.

1. Click Start and in the Search box, type intl.cpl and then press ENTER.

2. On the Keyboards and Language tab, click Change keyboards.

3. Click Add. The Add Input Language window appears.

4. Expand the language that you want. For this example, expand English (United Kingdom).

5. Expand the Keyboard list, click to select the United Kingdom check box, and then click OK.

6. Under Default input language, in the dropdown menu, select English (United Kingdom) - United Kingdom, and then click OK.

7. In the Regional and Language Options dialog box, click OK.

NOTE: The Language bar appears on the taskbar. When you rest the mouse pointer over this bar, a tooltip appears that describes the active keyboard layout.

8. Click the Language bar, and then click EN English (United Kingdom).

For Google and other browsers, you'll have to get into the settings and set English as your default language.

If that doesn't work for whatever reason, please see: 

https://superuser.com/questions/363408/how-do-i-change-my-chrome-language-back-to-english

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdL7QkUDG5M

Your item 5 above, regardless of what language is selected if he has a Thai keyboard, his input keyboard should be English (US). Otherwise his special keys will be messed up.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

Your item 5 above, regardless of what language is selected if he has a Thai keyboard, his input keyboard should be English (US). Otherwise his special keys will be messed up.

What would you do if you were the OP? 

1 hour ago, Isaanbiker said:

What would you do if you were the OP? 

I think I would look at the System Locale and make sure that is setup correctly. To do this (in W7) open Control Panel and click on Region & Language.

Click the Admin tab and then Change System Locale. (The screenshot is from W10 and how my PC is setup, but the Admin tab is similar in W7)

1064597820_systemlocale.jpg.5bb77dc9bb845bebbaaf2b97f0c722e9.jpg

Most times if the computer is setup by a shop they will have the locale set for Thai.

Would certainly try this first.

10 hours ago, chrisinth said:

I've found that if you have Win7 (Eng) and an English keyboard, every time you type an apostrophe, the language switches to Thai. It appears that on a UK keyboard the "grave" key option for switching languages is incorrectly mapped to the apostrophe key.

However, switching to the US keyboard in the language tab results in the the @ and " becoming transposed.

Did you ever find a way of getting the input keyboard English(UK) to work properly without the above problems, if you wanted the language switching option set to the grave key and not the ctrl-shift key? (Setting the language switching option to ctrl-shift seems to cure it, but I'd rather use the grave key).

Hope that makes sense.

Edited by katana

4 hours ago, katana said:

I've found that if you have Win7 (Eng) and an English keyboard, every time you type an apostrophe, the language switches to Thai. It appears that on a UK keyboard the "grave" key option for switching languages is incorrectly mapped to the apostrophe key.

However, switching to the US keyboard in the language tab results in the the @ and " becoming transposed.

Did you ever find a way of getting the input keyboard English(UK) to work properly without the above problems, if you wanted the language switching option set to the grave key and not the ctrl-shift key? (Setting the language switching option to ctrl-shift seems to cure it, but I'd rather use the grave key).

Hope that makes sense.

The above changes to special/secondary keys as in your example of @ and " changing places is why you should change to an English (US) keyboard layout if you are using a Thai keyboard. You can select your language as English (UK), but you will need the English (US) keyboard layout to map the keys correctly. With the Thai keyboard you will notice that you won't have, for instance the  '£' symbol as you would with a keyboard from UK.

To change the language switch hotkey in W7 (if I recall correctly; I don't have a machine with W7 installed) you want to go to Control Panel\Region & Language\Keyboards & Language, select 'Change Keyboards'. Chose 'Advanced Key Settings' and I think you can change the keyboard switch hotkey there. Hope someone can confirm that.

• Like 1

I have a similar problem with a Lazada dell notebook windows 7. It seems to be related to Google. I like yahoo so if I open Firefox then from the Firefox desktop open yahoo I get English. If I go straight to the Google search bar I get Thai . It seems Google in their wisdom assume everyone in a location will use the local language and expats don't use computers. I have changed the device's location etc.

Sent from my Nokia 2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app